Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

flyboi posted:

I wish someone would figure out how to disable that stupid IOS correction typing thing system-wide. I hate having to disable it on every application.

I think this does it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
You can switch between desktops by swiping with three/four fingers from within Mission Control, too.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

DoktorLoken posted:

I upgraded my Macbook with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. In system profiler it says "TRIM support: No"

What gives? I thought Lion was supposed to have good SSD support?

It only supports TRIM for first-party Apple SSDs. But don't worry, there are ways to enable TRIM on third-party drives.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Jort posted:

This showed up on my task bar a week or so ago. No idea what it does/what it's connected to/how to remove it. Anyone know something about this? When I hit sync now nothing (noticeable) happens.

Check your iSync and MobileMe preferences. Or just cmd+drag it away and forget it ever appeared.

edit: Or option+click it to see what the hell it's trying to sync.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

rawrr posted:

Is there a free or better alternative to Jitouch (for additional multitouch gestures)? I found it through this thread, but I'm looking for something perhaps a touch (...haha) more configurable or cheaper.

Although it doesn't have quite as many gestures as JiTouch, BetterTouchTool is just as configurable (if not more so) and is free.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

unruly posted:

Wonder if this has to do with that fake flash worm problem.

I almost fell for that today. :saddowns:

I had unthinkingly clicked the updater's 'Install' button like I usually do whenever Flash randomly decides to update. But it then identified as a Chrome Helper process and I stopped it immediately.

It was REALLY convincing until that happened.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
I used to use Launchpad until it decided to start shuffling my apps around randomly. It's kind of a pain in the rear end.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Ziploc posted:

Is there a notification center hot-key?

You can set one in the Keyboard prefpane, under Keyboard Shortcuts -> Mission Control.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sounds like an ISP issue. You don't have U-Verse by chance, do you?

I have that problem and I have U-Verse. Is that just a Thing with U-Verse or can I do something about it? :ohdear:

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Abel Wingnut posted:

Also, is there a consensus on the best Twitter client? I don't need it to do much, but profile editing and replying with the previous message would be tops.

e: Free's nice, but I don't mind shelling out the cash if it's worth it.

Wait until Tweetbot is out. It was submitted to the App Store recently so hopefully it'll be available within the next month.

For the time being, just use the official Twitter app. It's good enough.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

noirstronaut posted:

Woah, Textual looks exactly like Linkinus.

It's Linkinus minus some features and bloat. I switched to it after realizing that Linkinus' memory leaks would likely never be fixed by its mostly-inactive developer, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

dzarc posted:

For those who use BetterTouchTool. What do you guys set for the trackpad to open the link in a new tab for the browser? I can't seem to find an one-finger gesture that doesn't interfere with other things.

Two finger tip tap right for new tab, two finger tip tap left to close tabs, three finger tap for open in new tab, and tiptap left/right for changing tabs. As long as I'm browsing bookmarks, I can be a lazy poo poo and never take my hand off of the trackpad.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Alfred rules, even if you just use it for searches and app launching.

BetterTouchTool lets you bind virtually anything to any trackpad gesture. Also adds basic window snapping (the author has a full app, BetterSnapTool, that improves on this)

Textual is a great IRC client.

If you use Twitter enough to warrant using a client, Tweetbot is the best albeit somewhat expensive. It's getting a major overhaul soon, but it's a free update.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

that one guy posted:

Looking at getting Parallels. I tried the demo and liked it. I can't seem to find any discounts online. There is a $79.99 purchase price or $69.99 for a year subscription. Any input on what the best way/form to obtain Parallels is?

Newegg often emails out 50% off software coupons that include Parallels.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

enojy posted:

Does Caffeine/Amphetamine no longer work in El Capitan or something? I'm trying to download a large file via... some sort of download software (Microsoft's Dreamspark -- torrent? Who knows) and Amphetamine didn't seem to keep my Macbook awake for it.

KeepingYouAwake is a good, actively-maintained alternative.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Anyone have any suggestions for fixing a stuck coreduetd process? It's perpetually running at 100% CPU. It's been happening since late 10.14, and unfortunately 10.15 didn't help.

Googling suggests it's related to Handoff, but disabling Handoff doesn't change anything. Also tried recreating my contacts and photo libraries (since Console is often full of contact sync errors regardless of if I have any contacts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Ziploc posted:

gently caress sakes. I finally installed the 10.15.6 update on my 16inch and now my CalDigit dock will only connect to one monitor at a time. Both active DVI to DP, and active VGA to DP. Everything was working great before the update. And now it's borked. This was the only other person who I've seen with the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/hsizqr/16_mbp_caldigit_ts3_plus_and_10156/

Feck! Everything was working so good with my dock! I was just getting into the one cable life. And now I'm back to a single monitor. Maybe it's time to try Big Sur and see if it fixes it.

Not 100% related, but my DAC (Schiit Fulla 2) stopped working with my CalDigit dock as of 10.15.6. Apple and Schiit support didn't have much to say, CalDigit told me to reinstall macOS. Not sure who's at fault here, but it sucks.