Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does Netflix drive everyone's CPU up to ~4,000 - 5,000 rpms every time? Is there anything to do about this? My fan goes crazy and it's really annoying. It's generally in Chrome but it does the same across any browser. I don't have many other programs open and only 2 or 3 other tabs open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

adm posted:

gfxCardStatus? it will keep you restricted to integrated graphics.

Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone. This is working well so far.

Another question: With my MBP, my wifi sometimes takes upwards of 5 minutes to connect to my home or work networks when I bring it out of sleep. This is whether I just leave it alone or actually go up to the icon in the corner and either select the network name from the dropdown list or manually go into "Join Other Network," click "Show Network," and select it from there. It doesn't even have the "scanning" animation, it just doesn't do anything at all no matter how many times I select it. Eventually it will connect, but that's really annoying if I have to clock in at work and I'm just sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for my computer to get its act together.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

Have you done all your software updates? Didn't apple push out a EFI update a week ago that was suppose to resolve these issues?

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to ignore those for weeks at a time?

Worked great, thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I posted this in the hardware thread a couple of days ago but as I kept editing it I realized it was more of a software issue:

I have a Macbook Pro with Lion, connected to a BenQ external monitor via Mini Display > HDMI. It hasn't given me any trouble since I bought it a year ago (and upgraded to Lion after it came out), but over the past week it's started to do something really bizarre only on the external monitor: all windows, when I drag them over from my Macbook's screen, are completely black. Some windows will only be black for a second and then flicker to their normal state. Some windows won't change from black no matter what I try to do (including browser pages and videos), and are completely normal when I move them back to my Macbook's screen.
There aren't any minimize/close/expand buttons, just an entirely black window.

I don't recall doing any software updates at the time, nor do I remember installing anything that would have changed system settings. None of the connections are loose and none of the cords are cheap brands. My desktop background appears normally on the external monitor, too.

I'd be happy just to reset my display preferences and be done with it, but I have no idea how or if that's even the problem.

Here's a random screenshot of Chrome on my external:

Also strangely enough, as an experiment I tried mirroring the displays and it made it so that windows were black on both my Macbook screen and my external.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone's CPU going a little nuts with VLC 2? I have a video open in it and it's eating up 26% of my CPU, while the same video is registering as ~10% with 1.1.5. What an I do, here?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Using an external monitor, is there any way I can mirror the taskbar and dock without having to mirror the entire screen?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

SecondBar

Perfect, thanks! I love that all this software exists for really niche needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, so I just stupidly installed the new version of Silverlight without checking which browsers its compatible with, and apparently Chrome isn't one of them. But for the life of me I can't seem to find the previous version of Silverlight anywhere, the 4.x. Oldapps.com seems to only have the windows versions.

I found this but it says it doesn't work with the newest Chrome either.

e: I tried that last link anyway and it looks like it worked. Oh well, nevermind.

vvv Yeah, was just assuming that they were listing the newest version on their site, didn't bother to check which version I had. Seems bizarre that the newest version doesn't work on Chrome anyway. Unless it just got screwy on my computer.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 23, 2012