Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Astro7x posted:

Though why did Apple break Command+Tab? I can see what they are trying to do with it, but it doesn't make complete sense. Right now you can only switch between open Apps in a single desktop, but if the App is in another desktop it doesn't switch. You can Command+Tab between full screen Apps, and from a full screen app to a desktop App, but not from a desktop App to a full screen App. Very weird...

I've read this over and over, hoping I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to communicate. I don't know what you're talking about, though. Command+tab works exactly like it always has. I can switch between open or fullscreen apps with gay abandon. No exceptions.

The only problem I've had - a bug, I suspect - is that sometimes applications won't get keyboard focus when you switch to them.

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I'm only asking this question because I've only become a mac user 2 weeks ago: Can I only play the latest and greatest games by installing Windows via Boot Camp?

This isn't exactly life ending, and I love having the option of using both operating systems, but the games for mac seem horribly old.

This is correct. Unless you're content with the "latest" Mac games on Steam, where most of the selection strikes me as arcade titles you'll find on Xbox Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Haven't seen this being mentioned yet. It's quite easy to miss, but pretty goddamn handy.

Right click on a video or audio file. See that option right at the bottom?
It's definitely not for something I have installed. So I clicked it.

And then this pops up:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Petey posted:

Actually it didn't. At least not immediately. I had to click that and then restart in order for it to take effect but I think it has.

You can also toggle it per application by ctrl-clicking in a text box, selecting "Spelling and Grammar", and choosing the desired option there.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ziir posted:

Updated 1Password, didn't fix it. Removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. Still no dice :(.

1Password has become completely useless for me in Lion. Even with the update and new plugins, it doesn't work as fluidly as it did under Snow Leopard.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Petey posted:

Ok, I am officially over Safari restoring my tabs. Not because it isn't nice in theory. But because every time I restart Safari, if I had 5 tabs open it will start with 15, my former 5 repeated 3 times.

I'm now spending more time closing excess tabs than I ever did opening new ones.

Have you got any session saver extensions installed?

I had the problem you're describing, until I removed my session saver extension. Now it works just fine.
If it's not that then I think you just need to delete the LastSession.plist from ~/Library/Safari.

I hope this works for you.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feenix posted:

So some time ago I plugged my soundsticks into my mac and noticed a pop every now and again. Just randomly. No one could figure it out.

I was recently reading the thread and someone suggested Antipop to someone for this thing. It's a bit of code that passively doesn't let the external speakers "go to sleep" which is what the mac is often wont to let them do.

So far, no Pop, but it's intermittent, so honestly I don't know yet. I'm satisfied with the results so far, except that later in the day I'll go to play an MKV or something on VLC and it'll play fine with no sound, despite my mac still at that moment being capable of making system beeps and other sounds.

Anyone know what's up? A reboot usually fixes it till the next day. I'd sure hate to have to remove this seemingly good fix for the pop, but I use VLC a poo poo ton and like it a lot.

Thoughts?

this is the app, btw: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop

I think this is something OSX does for power saving. It probably powers down the sound system in certain cases when external devices are plugged in. I've noticed it on my Macbook Pro when I'm using sensitive earphones. If I pause music I'll hear a slight bit of signal noise for a while until it goes silent completely when the sound system shuts down. Resuming the music brings with it a slight pop as the sound system powers up again. These are just my anecdotal observations though, so I could be way off.

I'm guessing something in that app you're using is conflicting with how the sound system powers up/down. Perhaps it's not reporting the powerstate properly to the sound drivers, and they send sound anyway when the system hasn't been powered up. I dunno.

Do the MKVs usually play fine? Is it not just VLC? Perhaps try Movist or MPlayerX with the same setup, and then try not running that app to see how the media players behave.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I just read this and did a little jig.

itsalltech.com posted:

UPDATE 2: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 will add the ability to re-arrange "desktops" in Mission Control by dragging the thumbnail previews of the desktop around.

Apple does listen to us, after all.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Crush posted:

So, I just noticed that a file named dl.txt is in my user directory and it has the text "OK" in it. Does anyone know what the hell put it there?

Probably an application with a lazy developer who didn't bother coding in proper paths. Dumped a log/status file in your home folder. You can delete it but it'll probably reappear when you next run that app.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Behold children, one of the rarest of creatures to be found in the Apple jungle: an iChat user.

Sorry, but iChat owns. My boss was all like "ugh iChat" and then admitted he last used it in like Jaguar or Tiger. Now it's all he uses, because it plugs into most chat services (or at least the ones normal people use).

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Lion iChat added Yahoo!, right? I just wish it got MSN support, since I still know like 2 people that use it.

Yup, and in addition to that Apple actually added an official plugin architecture for iChat in Lion. Which means an enterprising developer should just take 10 minutes to knock up an MSN plugin. I've been praying. I wish I never stopped coding :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

aherdofpenguins posted:

Can anyone help with this? I'm having to restart my computer like once an hour or so and I don't know what to do about it.

Open up Activity Monitor and click on Disk Activity. Leave your computer at idle (when it's busy spazzing out) and look what your disk read/write stats say. I had my MBP do something similar, and noticed that hard drive space was being eaten at an alarming rate (90MB/s on my SSD). This was just after upgrading to Lion.

I put it down to a swap file something or other - possibly a rogue app - but this happened all of twice and never again. But check whether it's a memory leak that's paging to disk and filling up your hard drive.
I'd also recommend using Console to monitor recent activity. Somebody smarter might come along and give some command line advice for checking what's bugging out.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
For those who use the SA smiley pack, is it working for you in Messages? I've been using it for three years in iChat, but Messages broke it. I just figured I'd ask because some guys mentioned using the smiley pack, on the previous page.

I hope they add an option so that it doesn't reorder conversations according to the newest message received.
And a way of silently sending messages to iOS devices while you are using your computer. Because why else would I want to be notified of messages in a conversation I'm currently holding?

I guess it would need an iOS update, but some way of detecting activity and setting a status, to determine the "main" device" would probably be the best.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Strangelet Wave posted:

My Messages.app seems to lose the connection to my google talk account every time I wake from sleep; I either have to turn wifi off and then back on, or disable/re-enable my gtalk account through the menu for it to connect again. Quitting and relaunching doesn't help.

I'd heard this was a problem with iChat, though I personally never had it. Slightly disappointing, but beta, so whatever.

Yeah, it's iChat on Lion that gifted us this problem. I just kill the imagent process in Task Manager, and it works again. Inconvenient as gently caress, since my Internet connection at the office dies two or three times a day and each time I'll have to do the above.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Damnit. In the new (Mountain Lion) Safari, Apple's removed the "Activity" window. I used this a lot for scraping content off certain pages. :(

You can get something similar by enabling the developer tools but it's a bit more complicated to use.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

computer parts posted:

hold option when you click "File" :ssh:

Holy poo poo.

Martytoof posted:

The only thing I can think of was that with his dying breath Steve ACTUALLY said "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow, I am going to haunt you if you make fullscreen useful"

Holy poo poo.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Mercurius posted:

Also, if you prefer to use keyboard shortcuts and you're a contortionist you can use Shift+Option+Command+S as Save As.

I'm used to a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and the one you've mentioned is the exact one I use multiple times a day in Photoshop. I just didn't know that (or hadn't thought of using) option as a modifier to get a "Save As" dialogue. Thanks though!

megalodong posted:

Only having ever used OSX for like the past 3 weeks, what was/is the big deal with "Save As" VS "Duplicate"? Is it like windows where you could e.g. open a word 2003 document and save it as a word 2007 doc or similar?

Let's say I open a photo and start editing it. Now I want to save a version of it that doesn't overwrite the original, so I'd use "Save As".

If I worked on the file and then duplicated it, it would duplicate at the point where I've already made the edits. Now I'd have two modified files, and I'd have to go to the original, click on "Revert", and then restore the file I started with. To "correctly" use the duplicate feature I'd have to create a copy of the file before working on it.

I guess it just comes down to old habits, but having a "Save As" dialogue is just far less convoluted than the Duplicate/Revert system.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone know how I can remap the Dictionary trackpad shortcut on Mountain Lion? I have the three-fingered tap mapped to opening a link on a new tab on BetterTouchTools, and it's driving me crazy.

Turn it off in system preferences and use BTT to remap it to something else.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I recently got a Macbook Pro Retina 13", and I'm seeing a strange rendering error in Safari.
Certain sites have a vertical line rendered at about a third of the way from the left-edge of the display. It's always in the same position, and only appears on certain sites. I've not been able to draw any correlation between those that show it and those that don't. Some are complex HTML5 and Javascript creations, others are just plain pages with a simple stylesheet. Opening the page in another browser shows no vertical line.

Here's a linked screenshot of it showing up on Engadget, which is one of the "culprits": https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50574/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-22%20at%201.43.19%20PM.png

Note how it doesn't run down the full length of the page. In Engadget's case it's always at that position on an article block.

What I want to know is if anybody else with a gets this. I can only find anecdotal evidence that it's an issue with Retina machines. It's obviously got something to do with the way Safari renders stuff, and if it's a widespread problem I'm hoping Apple will have a fix for it in the future.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

RocketLunatic posted:

It's a bug in Safari. Discovered it in a site I was working on. It showed up in WebKit too but there was supposed to be a fix on its way for it. So annoying.

Bob Morales posted:

You just made me visit about 25 sites until I saw it again, here it is on MacRumors:

Thanks for confirming this. Relieved that they have a fix coming up. Supposedly.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

EVGA Longoria posted:

What are people using for Remote Desktop to Windows for the Retina MBPs? I'm using the official Microsoft one at the moment, since it at least passed cmd-c and cmd-v as copy/paste, but it seems to keep the super low res, so on my 13" Retina I have to connect to a server at 800x600 to see the whole thing.

Any suggestions?

I use the MS one as well to remote in to my media server occasionally. I run it full screen (my scaled res on my Retina is 1440x900) and it looks fine to me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bob Morales posted:

Does this page gently caress anyone else's Retina up?

http://bookofhook.blogspot.com/2013/03/smart-guy-productivity-pitfalls.html

Pinch to zoom just a little bit, then try to scroll with the touchpad. :argh:

It chugs a bit when I scroll, but I can get it to scroll fine (when zoomed) by clicking around. It's badly coded.
Anything that has dynamic or static elements completely fucks with my Retina 13.
I noticed that 10.8.3 (or rather, Safari 6.0.3) had a fix for better scrolling on Facebook - and it works quite well, it's noticeably smoother. Pre-update I used to disable the Timeline/chat bar on Facebook, which made an incredible difference.

I think that any dynamic elements in jscript or HTML5 really punish the GPU when it comes to scaling. Webkit and current GPUs aren't read to deal with 5-megapixel screen resolutions.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Neurophonic posted:

Is anybody else finding that some apps on Mavericks refuse to stay logged in? So far SimpleNote, DeskConnect and Evernote are the most prominent problem apps. I've removed and reinstalled them all from the MAS but no joy, even wiping out all preferences doesn't make a blind bit of difference either.

I don't use any of those, but Twitter does this and it's really testing my patience. Every time I relaunch it after quitting, it's forgotten all four Twitter accounts I've set up, and then I have to go through the setup process all over. Tried everything, from reinstalling using the App Store to deleting preferences. Bleh.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but the single best feature in Mavericks is loving Messages not having an apoplexy when performing searches. I don't regularly search for stuff but occasionally the search bar would get highlighted accidentally and when I started typing what I thought was a reply, I'd wait 10 minutes while characters appear. Invariably I'd just force quit and start over.

But now it works and it is glorious.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

lol internet. posted:

So I'm still on build 13A598 and wanting to upgrade to 13A603 now that my monthly bandwidth is renewed.

Although the "update" isn't appearing in the app store. Any idea? I'd prefer not to download and install the full Mavericks package.

There is no update. You have to download Mavericks and do an in-place upgrade.
That's what I did and it worked fine.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Heads up, if you care about photography and free apps: DxO Perspective, usually $20, is free on the Mac App Store until the 3rd of November.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dxo-perspective/id715455365?mt=12

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Xabi posted:

I've seen this discussed before but I can't seem to find it.

How do I get Windows-style file sorting, i.e. folders first and then "loose" files? Can't live with this "everything in alphabetical (dis)order" system.

OSX folder view is a configurable in two ways. First is to arrange by <parameter> and second is to sort by <parameter>.
You can get this by right-clicking (or CMD+click) in a folder and selecting "View Options".

In the properties box you get you can select what I mentioned above.

Arrange is applied to all items. Sort is to group them after arranging them. For what it's worth, Arrange by Name and Sort by Kind gives me the Windows-like folders-first view.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Today I learned that if you trash something on an external hard drive as user1, then log on as user2, all the trashed items are are kept separately. Whyyyy? :negative:

Haha would you prefer the 8GB file you just trashed on an external hard drive to be moved to the trash bin on your primary drive?
It makes perfect sense the way it is now. Well, to me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What would make sense would be if it just popped up in the trash for the external hard drive regardless of which user is logged in.

Obscure example here, but I have two accounts on my computer, work and personal. I did a cleanup of my mostly work related external hard drive while I was logged into my personal account, switched over to work and forgot I hadn't emptied trash. Much later I wonder where the hell all the free space is, because the trash is empty when I'm on the work account.

poo poo, I misread your original post completely. Sorry. And yeah, that is dumb as hell.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

PRADA SLUT posted:

In Mail.app, is there a way to have a signature automatically populate on Reply? So if I reply to a message, it will autofill the signature I choose?

This is the default behaviour if you've assigned a default signature to an account. You can do this in Preferences > Signatures. Select the mail account, and assign a signature to it.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Pivo posted:

don't use beta OS X unless you're a dev and need to, they're always hosed in subtle ways

i don't understand the excitement about it at all. i *am* a dev (not OS X desktop apps tho) and i wouldn't put that poo poo on any of my machines.

ios betas i can understand because your phone probably isn't *mission critical* and at least Phone.app will work after you restart, but using an OS X beta on your primary machine (often ONLY machine) when you don't need to? i don't get it.

if the machine is important enough for you to complain when it breaks, you shouldn't be running betas on it.

While the rest of what you say is valid, it's silly telling people to not run _public_ beta software. Apple wants people to test it, and takes enough precautions to let people know that poo poo will break.

Speaking of. One thing they didn't say will break is your bootloader if you intend to install this on an external drive, like I did. I was unable to boot back into my regular OSX install and just restored everything to normal using Time Machine. For anybody who wants to load 10.10 public beta onto an external drive: create a bootable USB for the installer, then install it onto the external drive. Do not install it onto an external drive from the desktop installer.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry for the day, thanks for that I'll take a look into it. Thought it might be something along those lines, but it's odd that it would also effect me switching tabs even. I came up with a solution though - I've dumped Adium and switches to Textual for IRC.

----

Another thing that's saddened me moving over to Yosemite - I still get *ridiculous* Kernal Task usage on my machine. It's got 12gb of RAM and at this very minute 6gb is jammed up in the kernel. It's been like this since Mountain Lion and a bit disappointed it hasn't been resolved as I know a ton of people are affected by it. Might have to do a complete reinstall when the final comes out, but ugh... the best thing about OS X operation is having left that 12 month reformat/reinstall back in 2005.

e: for clarity.

Never really paid that much attention to the memory compression before because this has been affecting me for so long, but fair play if it's crunched up 4GB worth. Also, gently caress Facebook for not being able to design a website that doesn't try and claim an entire GB of RAM. I just want to look at cat photos, not mine bloody Litecoin or something.

It's a beta.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

fleshweasel posted:

Is there some finder replacement that would let you view that data when browsing the photos?

Go to the folder with your photos. Press CMD + Option + I (for info).

This brings up an always-on-top modal window that will refresh with the information for any file you've selected in Finder. EXIF information for photos is under the "More Info" drop-down section.
Hopefully this helps.

I use this often when needing to select multiple files and getting file sizes.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

a Loving Dog posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I recently got a Macbook Air and it won't recognize one of my Western Digital externals. I have two, and my Elements (1 TB, USB 2.0) one is fine but my My Book Essentials (2 TB, USB 3.0) doesn't even show up when I plug it in. It works on PCs. Yes my Air has 3.0. Anyone had a similar problem or know whats up?

My mom had this same issue with an iMac of hers. There was a range of WD USB 3.0 drives that absolutely would not work with Macs for some bizarre reason I cannot recall.
This was about two years ago, so Google might have some more info now if you search for evidence.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

dik-dik posted:

It's very possible I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, but why wouldn't you just run it at the native 2560-by-1600 resolution?

Because text is so small it's like looking at Morse code.

You also need third-party software to unlock non Hi-DPI resolutions like that. Regardless, to answer spongeworthy's question: all of the scaled resolutions work perfectly and even my lovely eyes can read the 15-inch equivalent 1680x1050 resolution without prescription glasses.

I went to rMBP 13 from a MBP 15 and haven't looked back. (Save for the fact that I'm on a first gen rMBP and the Intel HD4000 graphics are taking a beating with Yosemite's visual demands).

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

carry on then posted:

Wait, on the 13, does it actually render at 1680x1050 in the "more space" mode or does it render at double that and scale down?

The latter, to retain the smooth appearance of resampled visuals. However this comes at the expense of performance as the GPU has to render a near-4-megapixel image.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
While the 10.10.4 update installed without any issues for me, on my 2012 rMBP, a technically-challenged colleague is having a less pleasant experience. I've taken over and tried to sort it out, and I'm stumped.

- Install via App Store, it downloads the 1GB delta update, starts shutting down, initiates the install, and then throws an error about being unable to verify the installer.
- Repeat the above to ensure it wasn't fluke. It wasn't.
- Download Combo update. Same poo poo.
- Clear caches and repeat above. Same poo poo.
- Empty out /Library/Updates, as well as /$TMPDIR/C/com.apple.appstore, then run the Combo installer again. Nothing.
- Boot into safe mode and run Combo installer. Nothing.

It just keeps giving me the same message: "OS X Update" could not be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. Click Update to download and check the update again.
After this it reboots, as if to complete the update procedure, and boots back into OS X that's not been updated.

Any ideas?

This is on a 2011 MBP13 currently on 10.10.3. The only recent changes are me helping him remove Sophos, which was refusing to update and causing beachballs every 10 seconds, and a RAM upgrade about two months ago.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xilni posted:

This would work but you'd have to suffer all the issues with writing to a networked drive, namely latency, you have to be connected, and you wouldn't have a local copy of the folder on your computer.

This is incorrect.
The point of both iCloud Drive and Dropbox is that you have a local copy.You're not writing to a file that's online only. The same goes for Spideroak, LiveDrive, etc.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I installed the GM, after getting an email invite from Apple, and I can't get the Split View feature to work now. Is this happening to anybody else?
Did Apple remove it because it was kinda wonky?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Blinkz0rz posted:

I still can't get this to work. Is it resolution dependent or something? I've got a 13" Macbook Pro that's set to "Default for display".

It wouldn't work for me and then I enabled this and it worked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Stare-Out posted:

Wow, that's pretty great, thanks! Is there a way to make that the default function? For some reason it works with the keyboard hotkeys but not my mouse, hm.

You wanna download Karabiner for this.

It lets you switch the volume key functionality to use the smaller increments all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Choadmaster posted:

This is a question that crosses OS X / iOS boundaries: Other than Evernote, what do people recommend for basic note taking - with the ability to share/sync/edit notes between multiple people?

So far my searching has brought me to Simplenote, but I was wondering if there were others.

OneNote?