Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Martytoof posted:

Does Textual not work on everyone else's 10.7 install? I mean the free one, not the App Store one. Mine just bounces then quits :smith:

I don't really want to switch back to Colloquy but I might for now if the only one that work on 10.7 is the pay version.

For the people who actually have the App Store version, the Lion version of Textual is getting held up in App Store approval hell. They're releasing preview versions on their newsletter (which requires a screenshot of the App Store or some other proof that you've bought it), but the App Store update's going to be a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The ability to peek at the page that I came from in Safari is making me all giddy for no reasonable reason.

It'd be really neat to see the statistics on the number of people who give the natural scrolling a shot versus the number of people who are just turning it off first thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Zwille posted:

What do you mean by that?

When you're doing the gesture to go back/forward in Safari, you can hold your finger part way through the gesture and the page you're "sliding" away stops and leaves the one behind it visible.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Here, this is what I mean:

Oops that was huge, link to full-size in case the timg expander thing isn't working.

lol timg gets autocorrected to "time", now we'll never escape autocorrect typos.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Captain Charisma posted:

Whoa, playing an album from the iTunes Album Art screensaver is really cool.

Except when it won't let you click the stupid exit button to get out of the screensaver. :argh:

(Seriously, argh should not get autocorrect to arch, stop it Mac)

Mr. wrsxprt, what's the one feature from that old thread that you most laughed at as being OH NEAT at the time?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Space Racist posted:

Also, for anyone still on Snow Leopard, Safari 5.1 and iTunes 10.4 are out.

Does iTunes 10.4 mess with the UI the way it did on Lion, or is it just behind-the-scenes updates back in SL land?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
For simplicity, since it's coming up every page:

When you buy Lion, you can use it and up to two virtual Lions per computer, on every computer you own, forever and ever, amen.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, Perian doesn't work in Lion, apparently.

Hopefully that gets fixed soon, I do prefer QuickTime over the other players.

Hey, did click+dragging a really large group of files always have a little transition from dragging the entire grid of them around to a compact list with a badge indicating the number of files you're dragging? That's neat.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 21, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

drasticactions posted:

It works for me. Sometimes it hangs when opening a file, but it installs and plays everything fine over here.

Aha, there we go, had to explicitly uninstall it before reinstalling it. Thanks!

Oh hey, Pixelmator has an update?

...oh. :negative:

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 21, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh poo poo, double post. Sorry.

vvv Launchpad should, in theory, have every app on your system. That's its purpose.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Captain Charisma posted:

Is there a reason for the tinier Close/Minimize/"Maximize" buttons? They're annoyingly small and don't really seem to be for any reason.

Visually, they're tiny, but the actual clickable area didn't shrink appreciably. It has the effect of looking smaller without requiring as much accuracy, but getting over the instinct to hit the button exactly is going to take some getting used to.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Also cannot wait for Safari to include an omnibar of some kind.

oh god, this is the one adjustment I have yet to make. Verizon just loves giving me their useless search page when I enter search terms in the URL box. One bar for everything seems like it'd gel with Apple's insistence on removing interface clutter, I wonder why they haven't done it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Being able to "wiggle" the page around is a side effect of bouncy scrolling, and I'm not sure there's a toggle for that.

On the one hand, Flash crashing* my computer every other time I visit Youtube is annoying. On the other hand, Resume is working perfectly, so the amount of actual annoyance is minimal.

Still hope Flash gets fixed soon, or I can find out what's causing mine to act up.

*It's not even crashing, per se, so much as hanging. I can move the mouse around, but no gestures or keyboard commands do anything, and I have to hold the hardware power button to reboot.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 23, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
That's the equivalent of a Windows user running around amok in C:\Windows\System32, isn't it?

Or is it closer to the user running around in the registry?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
is there a TVersity equivalent for Mac? I'd like to stream my videos to my 360, but I can't seem to find a player that will transcode stuff; all my Google searches are getting me is Connect360 or people asking for a TVersity Mac version.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

MrEnigma posted:

I think you can run TVersity on the mac, but there are a couple of other ones you could use:

PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) - Has 360 'unofficial' support. Free.
MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) - Works great, should support PS3/360. $20

Edit: Whoops, medialink is only for the PS3, Connect360 is the one you want - http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

Edit2: And for TVersity I was thinking of TwonkyMedia Server, which will run on a mac (haven't used it though). There seem to be a bunch of them that all are front ends to basically open source on the fly video encoders.

Connect360 doesn't seem to be able to see any of my videos. I'll try ps3 media server next, thanks for the list!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Connect360 appears to not be able to transcode on the fly, which sucks, but VLC (which is free) is able to transcode, so once this test transcoding is finished I'll find out if I've done it right. Thanks again, MrEnigma.

After further tooling around, HandBrake is the transcoding tool to use. I had to mess with precisely zero settings to get it to transcode to a .m4v that the Xbox could see.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 25, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

vikingstrike posted:

As a follow-up to this same thing, when my Flash videos were stuttering horribly in OS X and causing my machine to lock - fresh installs, new browsers, etc. - disabling hardware acceleration did the trick for me, too.

Is it possible to disable hardware acceleration on the HTML5 player? I'm having issues where until a video has completely loaded, it'll either freeze Safari, stutter badly, or not let me click outside of the loaded part to load elsewhere. Usually all three at once.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 28, 2012

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So, I have a question about Safari. Is there a particular reason it would start to do this on certain (read: most, but the occasional site is fine) webpages?

Everything still scrolls just fine, and it's clickable wherever it is, but, uh... this is weird, I thought Windows was the only OS with an abstract art bug.

e: Oh, of course restarting Safari fixes it, I was hoping it was a more exotic thing. Oh well. Challenge mode web browsing is over. :(

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 17, 2012

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
My Safari 6 (oh my god, I am way too impressed with the new omnibar) just went "Hey this omnibar extension hasn't been tested, so it's turned off."

This is a good thing, because I can't figure out where the button is to get rid of it! :shobon:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Upgrading Boot Camp also upgrades graphics drivers, right? I just now noticed I'm still running 3.2, which means it's been over a year since I've messed with Boot Camp in any capacity. It'd be neat if my game performance issues were just old lovely drivers!

e: Classic example of "Hey idiot try it first", it sure looks like it's installing some!

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the manufacturer's utility won't install it. Says I don't have a "proper graphics adapter", and stops the installer. I'm on the iMac mid-2011 with Radeon HD 6770M, if that rings a bell as to how to get the drivers to force install.

The ones that Boot Camp did helped some, but I still shouldn't be having to run Tribes: Ascend on the lowest resolution possible to get a decent framerate. :colbert: