Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For Windows 8 you DO NOT want to use the BootCamp assistant.

So firstly, run the BootCamp assistant again and REMOVE the partition you created with it. (The partition BootCamp Assistant creates is some weird MBR/GPT hybrid that Windows 8 won't install to) Then using Disk Utility, make a empty partition for Windows to use.

Secondly, Windows 8 really works best installed in UEFI mode. Which Macs natively support. Use the previously linked Rufus utility to make your Windows USB disk from Windows ISO. Make absolutely sure you pick "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" in Rufus!

Hold down the Option key as you boot your mac with the USB drive plugged in. You will get 2 new options with the orange USB disk icon; "Windows" and "EFI Boot" Select "EFI Boot". The Windows 8 installer should load. Pick Custom installation and select the partition you created in Disk Utility, note that you may have to format it first using the Format link on the same screen. Once you get Windows installed, run the BootCamp drivers app.

BootCamp Assistant sets up the partition and the Mac EFI/BIOS to boot Windows in the traditional PC BIOS mode. On my rMBP I simply could not get Windows 8 to boot or install properly using that. Since Windows 8 supports UEFI natively, it is best just to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mentholmoose posted:

Alright, I tried the instructions in both of these posts and it still didn't work. The same error as before. I've got Windows installed in VirtualBox, so I'll probably just use that until I can get an external optical drive and try that.

The error you are saying appears is not something a Mac would put up on the screen... Not entirely sure where that would be coming from.

Is your Windows install source 32 or 64-bit? It must be the 64-bit version.

Edit again: When exactly do you get this error message? What appears when you hold down Option while booting?

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 9, 2014

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mentholmoose posted:

Yeah, I think it's something the Windows boot loader is putting on the screen; it says "No Bootable Device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" a couple seconds after turning it on, right about the same time it would normally start up OS X. The Windows installer is 64-bit.

When I hold down Option it shows the Mac startup manager, where I can select my OS X partition and nothing else.

e: And OS X boots perfectly fine, for what it's worth.

Ah!

That message is coming from the BIOS compatibility module that the BootCamp assistant sets up. If you run the bootcamp assistant and pick the option to "Remove Windows" it should also remove the BIOS compatibility module along with the Windows partition on your hardisk. This will get BootCamp out of the way so a native windows install will work.

I had the same problem trying to install 8 on my new rMBP. I assumed I had to use BootCamp; I was wrong. The BIOS module along with the funky things it does with the partitioning prevented the Windows 8 installer from even booting up properly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mentholmoose posted:

Alright, I removed the partition with the Boot Camp Assistant, made a new partition to put Windows on, and the error went away.

It still doesn't recognize the drive, though, and if I turn it on and don't intervene it'll just boot into Mac OS X.

With the Windows USB flash drive plugged in and holding down Option at startup you don't see the "EFI Boot" option? If that is the case, your USB drive is likely not formatted properly..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Is this the place where I talk about BootCamp?

My girlfriend has a 2013 MBPr and I'm trying to set up BootCamp with Windows 8.1 (the only Windows I have licenses for, now.) The BootCamp assistant does not recognize the official 8.1 ISO as a valid ISO for installation, and when I partition the drive manually with Disk Utility, the Windows installer says it can't be installed to that drive because it's a GPT partition drive.

Do I have to use Windows 7 or something for this? I'm told the installer USB created by the Boot Camp Assistant application should work flawlessly, but it's not working with the ISO. I downloaded the ISO from DreamSpark yesterday, and used it on a bootable USB to reinstall Windows on my desktop so I know it works.

Windows 8/8.1 can install natively using EFI on 2013/2014 Macs without using BootCamp assistant.. Make a partition for Windows using Disk Utility. With the Windows 8.1 USB drive plugged in, hold down Option while booting. Some boot options should appear. Right next to the "Windows" option you should have a option for "EFI Boot". Pick the EFI Boot option. The windows installer should load and allow you to install to the partition you made with no complaints.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gaming question

Assuming a sufficiently fast LAN, is there a reason why building a (Windows) gaming computer, stuffing it somewhere, and then using remote access or steam streaming wouldn't be a viable option with a MBP?

I do it all the time with my 2014 rMBP from my gaming desktop..

If both machines are on wireless, you should make sure they are both on 802.11AC wireless. Steam streaming at 1080p 60fps needs at least 20Mbit continuous bandwidth; 2.4Ghz networks may not be able to deliver that reliably. It will also murder your battery life.. I get at most 3 hours during some Cities:Skylines sessions. (there is a OSX version of this game, but it performs much better over Steam streaming)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

I'm planning on wiping my hard drive and reinstalling OS X from scratch. I've been on a Mac for almost 3 years but this would be my first time doing it. I'm going through now and backing up things to my external hard drive (I've got a Time Machine backup, but this is a bit different) and am looking for advice on what I need to back up. For example, the <user name>/Library folder, that is basically settings right? So unless I mind setting preferences then there's no need to back that up? As far as applications, do I just backup the whole Applications folder? I'm used to Windows where I've got a pile of installers downloaded and ninite to run after a fresh wipe.

I just did this for the first time since I got my rMBP 2.5 years ago. (Mid 2014 rMBP i5 with 256GB PCIe SSD)

I was having issues with the wifi being wonky and taking forever to connect after waking from sleep. Finder failing to connect to my windows file server half the time. Horrible battery life when browsing (4-5 hours max). And in general just poor performance.

A fresh install fixed all of this. And even fixed some things I didn't realize wasn't working. I hadn't realized that the brightness/volume buttons were not showing the onscreen displays when pressed, nor were they making the little sound effect they normally do.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Terebus posted:

Hey guys, I'm not a Mac user, I'm just bumbling through the OS. I'm trying to help someone set up G suite in their office where they Macs. They have a main account, think info@theiroffice.com or hello@theiroffice.com that their receptionists handle which needs to be accessed through Mac Mail on at least 3 different machines. The issue I'm running into is that Mac Mail seems to open up too many IMAP connections which means that some of the Mac Mail clients can't connect. I've searched google and contacted G Suite support and tried a few different things but not of the solutions have worked. I've tried disabling IMAP IDLE on the Mac Mail clients that have the option available, some of the newer ones don't for some confusing reason. The only thing I've found regarding Mac Mail opening up too many connections is this thread that says this has been an issue with the Mac Mail client for over a decade.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2547839?start=60&tstart=0

Is there any way to limit the number of connections Mac Mail opens so I don't run into this issue anymore?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

An alternative to get around the Gmail IMAP limit is to use groups instead of generic mailboxes.. Create a group called "info" and make it internet accessible inside Gsuite. Then add the receptionists' emails to this group. Any mail that goes to info@office.com will be forwarded to the receptionists' email, no need to setup a separate account/mailbox.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Terebus posted:

@stevewm I thought of creating a group but would that affect how mac mail fetches emails from the server?

It cuts down the amount of IMAP connections, since instead of checking 2 mailboxes (receptionist and info), you would only be checking one mailbox (receptionist only). Mac Mail would no longer be setup to fetch mail from a "info" mailbox, because it wouldn't exist. Any emails sent to "info" would end up in the group member's individual mailboxes.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Now its time for Microsoft to do their "me too!!!" and release a smart speaker... Maybe they'll call it the "Surface Speaker". It will feature Cortana, and only work with Groove Music. It will have a app/skill store with 10 apps in it, 8 of which don't work. 3 people will buy it, and strangely like it. And then MS will eventually forget they even made it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

........ :bang:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Pivo posted:

There doesn't seem to be a burning need for 128bit words any time soon, no... I mean, maybe? I don't know. At least getting rid of 32 will make any transition to 2^n+1 bits easier?

Never say never.... x86-128 here we come.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

qutius posted:

that is loving amazing.

what a poo poo show!

No worse than Microsoft with Windows Update these days.

Testing? What's that? The end-user is the beta tester now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

When will Apple finally loving release their APFS full file format documentation?

It's (very) ridiculous to ship a new filesystem when no one even knows how to repair it properly.

Well... if it's broke, just buy a new Mac. It's the Apple way. There are no repairs.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, especially with having to shove the laptop into this special rig and having to don thick rubber gloves to gently pry the bottom case off.

Also LOL at the special rigs to clone internal SSDs from one logic board to another...

....... really?? Jesus christ.. I knew it was difficult, but didn't know it was THAT difficult.

Hanging onto my 2014 MBPr for as long as I can.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: macOS 10.14.6 is out the door :siren:

- Improves file sharing reliability over SMB

Ha! How long have they been trying at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there any windows only software that has a Windows ARM port that people would die without?

No...

Windows on ARM really hasn't taken off at all. I think Windows RT really left a bad taste in everyone's mouth to ever try making Windows ARM devices again. Even though with Windows 10 on ARM, nearly all the issues and limitations that where in Windows RT are resolved.