Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Had high hopes when I saw that Logitech had released Lion compatible software earlier in the thread, but I get greeted by this:

Anyone with a quick fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

priznat posted:

Mentioned in the iOS thread, agilebits are having a 50% off sale on 1Password. I'm thinking of getting the PC version to use on my desktop, doing the upgrade from OSX only to the OSX + windows for $20.

Anyone know if we'll get to upgrade to 4.0 for free when it's released?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

beefnoodle posted:

What's the best way to end up with a single m4v/MP4 file from a DVD that's split across chapters? I have a music tutorial DVD which Handbrake detects as made up of 11 chapters, and I want the whole thing in a single file for my Apple TV.

Thanks

If you end up with several m4v-files, maybe you can combine them by opening one file in Quicktime (in Lion) and drag the other files into the open window? When you save you will have one big file.

You could use imovie, too.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I have a few hundred files in different folders that need to be moved into the same folder. Many of the files have the same filename, so I want to add the current folder name to the beginning of the filename. Is there anything I can do in automator to fix this?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Do any of you use theft tracking software like the prey project, hidden or something else? I work at a school, and sometimes things disappear.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Suddenly this started to happen when my computer wakes from sleep. The mouse cursor makes skid marks. A restart fixes it, but after sleeping it's back. Anyone seen something like it?

mongoibur fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 16, 2012

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

~Coxy posted:

From several pages ago, but you're not alone. This very obscure problem does have a solution!

"I think I have just found a solution, the display sleep and computer sleep options in Energy saver must be greater than the time of logout after inactivity in Security & Privacy. For example my logout time is 8 minutes, computer and display sleep is 10 minutes. It seems to work for me, let me know how it works for you."
http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/105092-lion-login-screen-wants-me-paint-back-together.html

Thank you! I'll check it out!

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
This poo poo suddenly pops up every ten seconds in itunes:

I've never listened to radio, and searching for it give me lots of hits, but no solution. I have no plugins for itunes installed. Help me kill it!

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

decypher posted:

Do you have Home Sharing On? Try turning it off, then back on again.

People are disabling the Radio in parental controls until the issue is fixed.

Home sharing is off, and this is an administrator account, so I'd rather not convert it.
My god, what an annoying bug!

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy thread- I'm visiting my mom in LA and setting up a time machine for her and she mentioned to me that my stepfather has a script that is typewritten from 30 years ago that they tried using OCR software on but it was a no-go and just made an uneditable PDF. Is there a decent OCR package that they can use that doesn't cost $200 out there?

If the file is not too humongous you can use a site like this http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/ or this http://www.pdftoword.com/ .
Both have worked for me.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I just bought a samsung smart TV, and discovered that it can play all kinds of files over wi-fi from my iMac. The problem is, the iMac only shows up on the TV when it's booted into Windows. I tried enabling samba, but that didn't help.

Google told me that I needed some kind of server software, like Serviio. But that software won't even start in Mountain Lion. Twonky was another one, and that actually works with it's strange web-interface set up.

Is there any other TV-friendly server software for mac?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I feel like I'm in the eighties when I have to deal with file systems. Why do I have to deal with that poo poo on a modern computer? I have a samsung TV that only supports NTFS, but all my computers are macs. A long time ago I used NTFS3g to copy files from mac to pc, but now it seems that is dead. Do I have to buy some third party software to move files from mac to ntfs? I now there is some kind of built in, but disabled and possibly system wrecking, way of copying to NTFS. Should I stay away from that?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

I don't have any need for airfoil anymore. I just choose my apple tv under system preferences - sound - output (mountain lion on mid 2010 imac).

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

Wild EEPROM posted:

Ok, so, back around page 40 of this thread, someone posted a ridiculously powerful search tool for OS X. I forgot the name of it, but I could really use something like that right now.

What I have is a ton (about 20,000) folders, some with music, some with movies, and I want to sort them out.

Could it be Hazel?
http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

I've used it to clean up giant folders, and now it's constantly monitoring different folders to keep stuff organised.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I'm using Plex on my iMac, and every time i restart the computer I get this welcome screen:

Anything I can do to stop that?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is it one of your startup programs?

Yes. I have the same set up on my Macbook, but there it showed up only once.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Is it possible to install bootcamp/Windows 7 on an external thunderbolt or USB3 SSD drive connected on the new iMacs? Google gave me mixed results.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

japtor posted:

No clue on those iMacs specifically, but from looking into it a while back myself I remember it's possible, but Windows isn't meant to boot off external drives so it involves extra work and the crossing of fingers. Found this guide with a quick search:
http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

...otherwise the best bet is probably reading a bunch of experiences on the MacRumors forums:
http://www.google.com/search?q=macrumors+thunderbolt+windows+booting+site:forums.macrumors.com
I vaguely remember a thread collecting info for a guide, which may or may not be the source of info on that other link.

Thanks! That looks like a lot of effort. Guess I'll just make room for a small Windows partition on the internal HD.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I think I hosed something up on my new 2013 3tb fusion imac. I tried to install windows 8 and got to to the part where I choose partition during the windows 8 installation. It then said it couldn't find any partition, so I tried to format the Bootcamp-partition (still in the windows 8 installer). That didn't work, so I went through the process again, but this time I deleted the partition in the windows 8 installer. It still didn't work, and now I get this in bootcamp:

Disk utility:

I couldn't do anything in recovery mode either. I even tried to reinstall OSX, but it didn't do anything.

I just read that my external HD could be the cause of the installation problem, and that I should just disconnect it while windows 8 did its thing. I feel so stupid.

Can I get my 105GB back?

Edit:
This is what cs list gives, if that's any help:

CoreStorage logical volume groups (3 found)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group 51276AAD-07C4-4B1F-81CB-2EBF3C69DE03
| =========================================================
| Name: Macintosh HD
| Status: Online
| Size: 3015530373120 B (3.0 TB)
| Free Space: 114688 B (114.7 KB)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 9C1DBE0F-F462-4AD6-9158-E9F4C16B6304
| | ----------------------------------------------------
| | Index: 0
| | Disk: disk1s2
| | Status: Online
| | Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 44F28875-88C6-4CDA-9FC2-596850A6AFE7
| | ----------------------------------------------------
| | Index: 1
| | Disk: disk0s2
| | Status: Online
| | Size: 2894541520896 B (2.9 TB)
| |
| +-> Logical Volume Family C7AE0F11-924C-4720-8815-CC4A1336CC8B
| ----------------------------------------------------------
| Encryption Status: Unlocked
| Encryption Type: None
| Conversion Status: NoConversion
| Conversion Direction: -none-
| Has Encrypted Extents: No
| Fully Secure: No
| Passphrase Required: No
| |
| +-> Logical Volume 19F0826B-90C0-4315-8A19-F842E42B6CB8
| ---------------------------------------------------
| Disk: disk2
| Size (Total): 3000999870464 B (3.0 TB)
| Size (Converted): -none-
| Revertible: No
| LV Name: Macintosh HD
| Volume Name: Macintosh HD
| Content Hint: Apple_HFS
|
+-- Logical Volume Group 2FEE744D-26DE-403B-BE14-79BEF60BC27D
| =========================================================
| Name: disk0s4
| Size: 314572800 B (314.6 MB)
| Free Space: 0 B (0 B)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 37EFD29D-C679-4C24-83CC-FA5FC45CDA2D
| ----------------------------------------------------
| Index: 0
| Disk: disk0s4
| Size: 314572800 B (314.6 MB)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group E2329A74-B855-4E74-9912-DE1AE2F82275
=========================================================
Name: 07
Size: 104503644160 B (104.5 GB)
Free Space: 104184868864 B (104.2 GB)
|
+-< Physical Volume AAE49D38-CF16-4E96-9745-C1138AC1BD9D
----------------------------------------------------
Index: 0
Disk: disk0s7
Size: 104503644160 B (104.5 GB)

mongoibur fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2013

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
After many hours I've got rid of most of the mess from my failed Windows 8 installation (previous page). But I'm now stuck with a 105GB free space partition, and I don't know how to merge it with the main Macintosh HD.

This is a 3TB fusion drive, and I'm afraid to use some random terminal command I find through google.

Is there any way I can get it back to "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume"?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I have an external HD connected to an airport extreme (last year model). I guess time machine doesn't work, and I'm now trying CCC. Everything is backed up, and it is set to do a daily backup, but it takes over 3 hours for it to check every file (1.5TB). Is there a faster way?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I bought a new imac a few weeks ago (2013 model). Will I get the new ilife and iwork for free?

↓↓ I'll try that.

mongoibur fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 22, 2013

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Sometimes when I wake my iMac from sleep, it just hangs and I have to reboot by holding the power button for a few seconds.
I found this in the logs when I checked:

http://pastebin.com/DWPa3Qy3

What's happening?
This is Mavericks on a new 27" iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Is there a way to toggle between headphones and speakers? It's pretty tedious to unplug and replug the headphones on an imac.