Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Figured this belongs here more than the Windows thread. I need to remote into my Mac from Windows 10 on my home LAN. Currently using VNC Viewer client on Windows and the built-in VNC server in Catalina, but it's a little slow for my liking. Is there a better set of applications that would give a snappier result? Ideally free, but I don't mind paying as long as it's not extortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Thanks, just installed jump desktop and it seems a lot smoother.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Is anyone running the Big Bur beta and also using ZeroTier VPN? My Catalina install's been alerting me every now and then about Legacy System Extensions which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS, one is for an extension from ZeroTier, and the other is signed by Mattias Nissler, which appears to also be a network-related extension, maybe also used by ZeroTier?
So, can anyone confirm if this extension still works in Big Sur?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

pzy posted:

Are you on the latest version? They eliminated Extension requirements a little while ago:

https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-eliminated-kernel-extensions-on-macos/

I was certain I was on the latest version, then I double-checked and it turns out I was on 1.2.12. Upgraded to the latest version now, so let's hope the warning's gone.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Fallom posted:

“Browser apps were a mistake” is all I’m seeing

Not that you’re wrong, but I’m also seeing “gently caress google forever because they will constantly break their sites to force you to use chrome”. It’s the primary reason that Microsoft gave up an entire browser codebase and switched to a chromium-based one, because google kept throwing in changes for no reason other than to gently caress with your experience on other browsers.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Apple is pushing the Safari 14.0 update on Mojave and Catalina.

Not much to say about it but it removes Flash support completely. If you have anything that somehow depends on Flash (and why in God's name would you) then don't upgrade.

My government's tax return filing site requires flash...

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Riven posted:

What? VSCode doesn’t put folders everywhere. You have a single config file in your home dir and can open individual directories in it. It’s not like Jetbrains stuff where a .idea dir gets out everywhere.

VSCode absolutely creates .vscode in folders that you open. Maybe it’s related to plugins, or maybe it’s related to opening the whole folder instead of an individual file, but they do get created all over the place, not just in your home directory

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

f (granted we both have iPhones and iPads).

Nah realistically he needs Safari, mail and numbers or excel and that’s basically it. Once he has a Mac he’ll probably also use FaceTime, messages etc; the stuff that crosses over from his phone.

Sounds like your dad just needs a Magic Keyboard for his iPad and not a whole new computer OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

not unless there is a 15 inch iPad I don’t know about. His number one, will not budge under any circumstances requirement for a computer is a screen of at least 15 inches. And a mouse, he won’t use a trackpad.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Connect+external+screen+to+iPad+in+Australia&pc=EMMX04&FORM=EMMXA2&mkt=en-za

https://www.bing.com/search?q=connect+mouse+to+iPad+in+Australia&pc=EMMX04&FORM=EMMXA2&mkt=en-za