Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hi Mac thread. I have a problem that has been driving me completely insane for most of today.

I have a new 16" 2019 Macbook Pro! It's lovely! The only problem is that I'm trying to rescue an older MBP by creating a USB installer of El Capitan, and none of the guides out there work.

I can't run createinstallmedia as Apple advise because that relies on the "Install macos <whatever.app" being in your Applications folder, and I can't install those on Catalina.

I've tried extracting and looking around in InstallMacOSX.dmg/pkg for Sierra, Yosemite and El Capitan and had no luck at all. I remember being able to rip the installesd.dmg out of images to get Lion working this way but I can't replicate that.

Any and all help appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Do you have the El Cap installer DMG already? You should be able to just mount the dmg and drag the install.app file to the Application folder. You don't need to install them, they just need to be in the Applications folder.

Also how old is the laptop? Have you tried doing Internet Recovery instead of messing with boot drives?

It's a mid 2009, can't get any form of recovery to work. No network nor recovery partition. If pulled and plugged into a USB dock the SSD shows up as a completely healthy freshly formatted MacOS extended drive.

If I grab El Capitan from Apple I get an InstallMacOSX.dmg containing an InstallMacOSX.pkg installer. Installer won't run, but I can unpack it and it contains another InstallMacOSX.pkg and localisation stuff. Unpacking that gets me an InstallESD.dmg and some xml metadata stuff. The InstallESD image is just a huge directory of packages.

I think the first pkg builds the .app by pulling from the localized strings stuff. :negative:

EDIT: I FOUND IT. It was hiding in something that presented itself as a text file. Cat'ing it showed plist contents and file just said it was ascii text. Good god.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I use my macbook pro in a live production environment (not so much atm :v:) and being able to reboot it into a relatively high performance windows laptop is very useful. I really doubt any of the things I want to use will get fast support for ARM nor work acceptably through any kind of translation. :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

otter posted:

Although by applying logic the cost of Mac hardware should be coming down if they are producing in-house, say an Apple Silicon mini that is not THAT different from an iPad pro hardware less the big rear end screen / touch interface which is the most expensive part of the whole thing - you know that's not going to happen.

You're right and I feel like all the people talking about this are just knowingly setting themselves up to get mad later on.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The new generation of mini was an incredible price/performance deal (for Apple hardware) when it dropped and it's still good. It also walked back the previous gens soldered on RAM so you could upgrade it yourself again. It isn't easy but at least it is possible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I get exactly the same thing randomly on my 2019 MBP if I let it lock/sleep and come back to it. Happens a couple of times a week. A paused youtube video won't resume, VLC won't play local media etc. Only way to fix it is a reboot. I've not worked out what triggers it yet.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Which dock is causing the issue? I use a USB-C pro-dock at home and a minidock when I'm out and about with no issues on 2019 16"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I have the CalDigit TS3 plus. I'm not sure that's what's causing it, but I will occasionally have 2 or 3 crashes in a short period of time (not quite back to back) and it doesn't happen when unplugged from the dock. I've seen stuff about Power Nap (turned it off), the dock causing it when it's plugged in from sleep (doesn't happen), but I can't recreate it either way, and it's in the dock 99% of the time, so maybe it would be happening either way. The first few lines of the log that comes up after restart are always different (not that I'd know what to do if they were all the same but at least I'd have something better to google.)

I thought about doing a clean reinstall of OSX but I think I'm just going to send it in for repairs while it's still under warranty where they'll wipe it either way and hope one of those things resolves it.

It Just Works folks!!! !

Christ that is miserable. It just works! Sorry I have nothing useful to add. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Keep the poop.