Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krakkles posted:

So I use TimeMachine to backup my hard drive, but I'd also like to maintain a copy of all of my files on an external disk. Are there any worthwhile folder sync programs or recommended solutions?
Carbon Copy Cloner might work, depending on what exactly you want to do. It was just for drive cloning for years, but one of the recent updates added folder cloning.

Scienter posted:

I've got one of the new stock 13" Airs and yeah this has been my experience as well. Doesn't bug me too much because I don't spend much time on it but ironically the Mac App Store is easily the worst stock Mac App I've used so far (as a new Mac convert).
Yeah the Mac App Store just seems to suck sometimes. It's performance seems tied to the performance of the online store itself or something.

Barack Pwnbama posted:

I don't think I want to spend that much just so I can make some stupid videos. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use Windows here and see what apps are available there.
Have you tried QuickTime Player? I think one of the big updates for it in Lion is being able to snip together random crap. You'll probably need Perian and Flip4Mac to handle other formats, but once it can open random stuff, "Add Clip to End" might do what you need.

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Tried to Google this, but I'm just not doing a good job of phrasing my query, so here goes.

I have a new mid-2011 Mac mini setup with an OS X installation and a Boot Camp installation. I want to use this as my "master" Mac mini.

I want to take the way that Mac mini is set up and clone it onto 10-15 other mid-2011 Mac minis, with OS X installation and the Boot Camp installation all together.

I have a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt capable iMac at my disposal as well.

I booted the Mini into Target Disk Mode, and connected it to the iMac. I tried to create a disk image of the entire disk, partition structure and all using Disk Utility, but I get an invalid argument error.

I think this is because the file system is complex: disk3s1 is EFI, disk3s2 is Macintosh HD, disk3s3 is Recovery HD, and disk3s4 is Boot Camp/NTFS partition. Any ideas how I can get the exact contents of this entire DISK (not the individuals volumes but the whole disk) onto another disk?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have spent time Googling this and didn't find any great answers.
Maybe one of those Linux Live drive repair things could pull it off? That's all I can think of cause I imagine the built in utilities would choke on the different partitions like you've found out for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

Anyone have an idea how I can easily copy around 500GB of data from a USB external HFS+ drive to an XFS formatted drive?

:words:

• Is there a better way for me to do this?
  • Is there any software for MacOSX to read and write XFS?
  • If not, I do have Parallels. Is it possible to install a Linux distro via Parallels and do it that way?
  • If I can do this, what Linux distro should I be looking at?
Did some quick searches and I'm not sure there's an XFS driver, even through FUSE, so my guess would be that your best bet would be through Parallels...past that I can't really suggest anything. Search around and see what distros they support well, like USB and file transfer and stuff, and cross reference that with whatever ones work with XFS I guess.

Doctor Zero posted:

I have a couple users on a machine that I want to archive just in case. They are moved to a new mac, but they haven't been in to check to make sure everything's okay. I don't expect any problems, and I want to redeploy the machine. I don't have an extra drive sitting around to do a time machine backup. Can I just copy the User folders over to another disk or something? Should I delete them and save the Home directory and then copy that?
As long as all their stuff is in their own user folders it might work. My main fear would be running into possible permissions issues, like the old user permissions being mismatched with the new ones or something over my head. Deleting them pretty much archives them in disk images right? That might be better as far as preserving the contents if it's read only, so they can't gently caress up the original stuff.

Footboy posted:

I routinely use a thumbdrive to transfer content between my MacBook and a PC. A couple of days ago, I used the same thumbdrive to transfer content to a friend who has "show hidden files" enabled on his PC, and discovered that the thumbdrive had a ton of hidden files corresponding to the files I'd copied between my home machines, some of which I would've preferred my friend hadn't seen.

Is there any way to stop my Mac from making GBS threads all over my thumbdrive like this?
Were they stuff like "._filename" or something? ...I'm not sure of a way to prevent it, but there's ways to get rid of it. BlueHarvest (shareware) automatically does it, otherwise you'll have to do some manual methods I think. You can probably do some shell script and leave that as a double clickable file, perhaps an Automator workflow would work too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

P-wrinkle posted:

I still haven't upgraded to Lion yet, but plan to soon. My main concern is that I want to do a clean install and I only have a select few things that I really want to keep, but also want to keep my whole time machine backup in case I forgot anything. Is it possible to back up with time machine on 10.6, do a clean install of Lion, pull out the few things I want to have on that Lion install (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.) from the time machine backup, and then continue to use that 10.6 time machine backup for my 10.7 time machine backups?

Please, can anyone help me out with this? It's one of the only things holding me back from upgrading to Lion.

And now I'm running into another pain in the rear end problem. I have a bunch of podcasts that I downloaded externally that I'd like to merge with an existing podcast feed (like 100 episodes). This is the only solution that I've found, but it would be incredibly hard with so many episodes. Any suggestions?
You could pull the particular stuff out of the TM backup (I'm guessing Migration Assistant can, otherwise manually should work) but continuing the backup might be hard. I figure enough stuff would change that it'd basically just create a new backup...so maybe just do that? The main issue there would be duplicating the space of the stuff you do copy over, but you could perhaps delete the previous backups of those files once it's copied over and backed up once, if you don't mind losing the history of them.

I think if you use Migration Assistant it'll continue the backups but I have no experience with it. I figure you should try that route out first since worst case you can just start clean again and try other methods.

As for podcasts I have no experience with them, but if they're like normal songs I'd just create a blank playlist and drop them all in, then batch tag where possible to match the rest of the podcast files.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 25, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not sure about menubar, but off the top of my head some resizer apps are Divvy, Moom, SizeUp, BetterSnapTool. I know Divvy and Moom have a grid thing although their implementations are different.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Question for the Mac people, anyone try the "noatime" trick? It basically prevents writing out the last access time (so it doesn't write when it's just reading), but in the Linux world where this seemed to originate there doesn't seem to be many things that actually depend on that. I'm wondering if anything in OS X depends on it or if it just does its own thing with extended attributes or some other trick.

pipebomb posted:

Sucks you have to have a library under 25000 songs. Trying to figure out the best way to divide my 62000 songs.
:-(
I thought some leak before indicated that you could buy more capacity and increase the iTunes Match limit...then again that was probably iCloud alone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Who needs LDAP authentication?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/26/mac_osx_lion_security_hole/
:stare:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Progression Please posted:

Just switched over to mac. Got an air.... strange problem:

Whenever I open Safari, two audio tracks play from some youtubes I watched a while ago and closed. I tried restarting and closing safari in activity monitor, but it still happens when I reopen. Any ideas?
All I can guess is that you might be running into the resume feature, and those audio tracks are in somewhat hidden windows, like minimized or in other spaces. Have you tried command-option-Q to quit? That's supposed to discard all the windows on quit, so next time you open it it shouldn't open anything automatically.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is there a webmail interface to test out? And what does the Activity window show (cmd-opt-0 [zero])? My wild guess would be that maybe you hit some quota or limit for mail clients and you're getting capped. Perhaps something is stuck in the sent mail queue and loving things up, I know that's been an issue on Mac and iOS Mail at times for some people.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah you'll probably need to find whatever SL discs they shipped with them, i.e. whatever "2011 iMac" version. If you have that 2010 iMac around, you can boot the 2011 one in Target Disk Mode and install SL with the 2010 iMac to the 2011 one hooked up with FW. Then while still on the 2010 iMac, running off the 2011 disk, run the 10.6.8 combo updater which should hopefully make it proper for the 2011 iMac.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cyne posted:

No, OS X doesn't really have copy protection of any sort.
The Lion recovery disk method might check on pre Lion shipped machines (just cause it has to download the OS), but the full disk one should be fine. Just don't connect to a network while installing if you're paranoid about it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone know about the "Stationary pad" checkbox in the info window before? I never even noticed it until I saw it mentioned elsewhere today as a "Save As" workaround for template files. It basically just makes a copy and opens that when you double click a file marked as stationary pad.

Martytoof posted:

Well, I guess it "works" in the sense that it can be done, but I guess if there's no easy way to make it happen given an install bundle in your /Applications directory then I might wait as well. I'm going to hang onto VMWare for now, I have no real desire to pay for two products (assuming 4 will be a paid upgrade) that will do the same thing. But we'll see what happens the longer I have to wait.
I've stayed away from Parallels cause their paid release schedule seemed a bit fast for me. I wasn't sure if it was just me so I checked Wikipedia for the dates:

Parallels:
1: June 15, 2006
2.5: February 27, 2007 (not sure about 2.0)
3: June 7, 2007
4: November 11, 2008
5: November 4, 2009
6: September 14, 2010
7: September 1, 2011

Not too bad after the initial rush I guess, where it seemed like they basically released paid upgrades instead of fixing the existing versions going by various forum posts I saw.

VMware was relatively slow:
1: August 6, 2007
2: September 12, 2008 (free upgrade)
3: October 27, 2009
4: ?, looking like late 2011

I'll probably just wait...cause I'm cheap, that and I don't need/use virtualization that much that I'm desperate for a new version right now. Appblast looks pretty crazy but I imagine that'll just be for their enterprise stuff, it'd be pretty awesome to run random crap remotely on an iPad when necessary though. (edit: towards the end it seems like it might be meant for desktop users too so maybe it'll make it to Fusion eventually :ohdear:)

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 1, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Took long enough, surprised they actually did it:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/apple-puts-legacy-final-cut-pro-studio-back-on-sale/

quote:

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999 (and $899 for educational customers). The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Txiuct posted:

I have a early 2006 core duo imac. I heard that the betas/ developer previews of lion could be installed on core duo machines if you changed "accepted devices" file or something like that. Is this still the case with retail lion?
Kind of. The method is still the same, but the big change is that they took out the 32-bit code to actually run it on Core Duo machines. So it's possible to run it on there...but only after you upgrade the CPU to a C2D.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Mess with the pref plist: http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/01/turn-off-resume-per-app-in-mac-os-x-lion/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

On my computer running Lion at home, the new space button in Mission Control is on the left, but on the display macs where I work, the button is on the right hand side. Why is this and how do I change it?
It appears to be a bug that I haven't figured out myself. I'm not sure how to invoke it but it seems pretty easy to trigger...I somehow did it on an iMac at an Apple Store just after playing with it for a few minutes. It worked fine when I first tried it, then a little later it was doing the left side thing :confused:.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any way to move more than one app at a time to another page in Launcpad? I don't see any way to select more than one app at a time.
This is my main gripe with it really, it's just a pain in the rear end to organize a bunch of apps. One thing I haven't tried yet (and can't now cause I'm not on my Mac) is holding down on an icon to make them wiggle, then shift clicking to select multiple icons...I'm guessing it doesn't work but it's worth a shot.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It looks to me like I'm missing 20 gigs of space on my new Macbook Pro..my user folder is reported as 83.55GB in size, but the sum of all of the folders inside is 62GB. I've had the computer for less than a week, the only thing I did was copy my iTunes library off of my dead black Macbook's hard drive. Is there any way to force a re-scan of my free space, maybe some files didn't get deleted properly or something?
I'd guess there's something in the root of your home folder that's invisible to the Finder, which could explain why the folders you checked were 20GB short. If you're comfortable with the Terminal you could do a quick check to see what else is there, otherwise there's GUI apps like (I think) Grand Perspective and some others out there, which show you where chunks of data are.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

So I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a 'Mac Os Extended' drive to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. The contents on the first non-journaled drive equalled 994.08gb, after those contents were copied to the Journaled drive, they equaled 1.15tb. Is it normal to see this extra data when going from non-journaled to journaled?
I think I've seen that myself, never thought about it too much (since it was a small copy in my case) but I suspected it may have had something to do with HFS compression on the source volume, and the OS decompressing when transferring to another.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

- Be comfortable with the file system. Know where home folders for users live, know where applications typically install things, know where preferences files live, etc.
To expand on this a bit, the basics of this are pretty simple and come down to:

/System/Library = generally nothing will/should touch this except Apple stuff (but there are exceptions)
/Library = global Library, which has a bunch of settings/prefs and a lot of other things
/Users/username/Library (or ~/Library) = user specific Library, things in here will only affect that particular user

There's more to it of course but basically /Users poo poo only applies to the particular users, while /System and /Library are global.

Another tip I'd throw in is to have an emergency disk/flash drive of some sort to help troubleshoot. Could be something as simple as a Lion recovery drive (which would limit you to 64-bit Macs though), an older OS install disk, or something like a Linux Live emergency disk or other specific repair utility like Disk Warrior or something (make the company pay for that type of software though). Those are more last resort sort of things which may not apply to what you need to do though.

Computer wise I'd suggest a 2009 Mac mini (with the Nvidia graphics) if you can find one cheap enough, otherwise once refurbs of the new ones come out those might be the best price/performance wise, mainly cause older models tend to have a high resale value. That's all assuming you have an existing screen and peripherals to hook up, rather than having to buy those as well though.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No Windows user should be using anything other than Windows 7.
And Lion's BC drivers are only for Win 7 aren't they?

Virtualization is another option unless you really need to boot into Windows for whatever school software.

Parallels 7 for new customers: $80

Parallels 7 for Parallels customers: $50

Parallels 7 for VMWare Fusion customers: $30

Wait what?
Someone on Amazon is selling an old version of Fusion for about $18 shipped, save $2 over upgrading from Parallels!

wolffenstein posted:

Chrome and Safari are of the same codebase (as those browsers are both based on WebKit), and AgileBits just recently got into making extensions. I don't know about Firefox as I don't use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to Firefox's "let's copy Google" update model.
They share WebKit but that doesn't mean anything else has to be remotely similar.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 9, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Also, on the side note. Can someone comment on NTFS-3G? I'm having a hell of a hard time googling about it. It looks like it was bought out by Tuxera?

I came across a slightly outdated NTFS-3G dmg from 2010. Is that the latest version?
No firsthand experience, so all I know about it is from here, and that can basically be summed up as "it's slow as poo poo". What will you be using it/NTFS drives for? There might be better ways to go about whatever you're doing with them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

So I kinda want to like the spelling correction in Lion as its useful for when I make typos, but is there a way to undo corrections with a keyboard shortcut? Like I wanna write Skream sometimes, not scream, but it won't let me and I have to stop typing to click on the word to stop it from changing it.
If you can wait long enough for the popup to come out you can hit the right arrow to ignore the correction.

Anyone have it ignore easy corrections for no reason half the time? Just like iOS :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

I have a metric shitton of documents that I want to scan into Lion and store for archival purposes.

I'm looking for a program that would help do this:

* I scan in a document
* It allows me to give it a name, and tags, and maybe some metadata and then it tosses it in a database.
* Then I can search by name, tag, or the metadata.

I can't seem to find a single program to do this without it being a horrible bloated/unusable piece of poo poo. Does anyone swear by some piece of software for this task? Additionally, recommendations on a good scanner would be nice as well.
I kind of had something similar going on with an Automator workflow and folder actions. I have a network scanner that just dumps scans into a folder, then the folder action renamed it (prompted for base filename then added date/time), moved it to a scans folder, and opened it in Preview where I could check the scan and tag it manually. Nothing fancy like a database...but with Spotlight searching a folder and decent file naming and metadata tagging it's a decent free solution.

Then 10.6.8 came out and appeared to have broken folder actions for me and many others according to :google: :downs:. I haven't upgraded that machine to 10.7 yet so I'm not sure how folder actions are in Lion. Looks like there's an Automator action for setting PDF metadata so perhaps play with that a bit and see what you can do. I think there's actions you can do with Image Capture too but I've never tried those.

Hardware wise I have no clue, mine is just a Brother networked multifunction device. Works with Image Capture directly through USB or over the network, but I almost exclusively just do scanning on the device itself and set it up to dump scans into a folder on my work Mac (mine uses FTP). Whatever you get I'd just try using the built in drivers first before taking a chance with whatever possible crapware the scanner comes with.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wanderlost posted:

I don't need to sync regularly. Once a day would be fine, but I really want a gui or some sort of visual confirmation that it is working.
Is it just a one way sync? If so Carbon Copy Cloner would work. Set up whatever source, target, and settings, then save it as a scheduled task. From there you have options to show it being copied whenever it's scheduled.

~Coxy posted:

Install samba3 from MacPorts... yeah. :negative:
I had it working once with the built in stuff...then haven't been able to do it since. Installing samba3 can't be the only way :ohdear:.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that wants to download Flash videos and is too lazy to go through Safari's activity window (or don't have Flash installed) or other browsers' cache or get extensions, try Flash Cache Saver. Basic as hell but it seems to work.

computer parts posted:

As long as you're actually shutting down the system and not yanking the hard drive out or anything, you should be fine.
I'd listen to the drive during startup to make sure it's not loving up like one drive adapter I have on my older Mac mini running Windows 7. On startup that thing spins up and down quickly like 3 times for whatever reason, it's really unnerving. Not sure if it's something funky with the boot sequence or just the adapter.

And speaking of drive issues I ran into a fun one a few weeks ago. I had a drive unmount randomly while I was away (perhaps something to do with power, it was bus powered and system running full tilt) and it wouldn't mount back up again. Disk Utility could check it and say it was fine, yet couldn't mount it. I checked it out from a rescue CD and it mounted, all data apparently still in tact. I tested it on my Windows Mac and mounted and read fine. Pretty much anything but the Mac could mount it :argh:.

I checked through the logs and found something about the journal magic being bad :confused:. Apparently if the journal is hosed up the Mac can't read it, while everything else ignores the journal and mounts no problem. And to disable the journal on the Mac...you need to mount the volume :downs:.

But there's a trick I found somewhere!: "sudo mount_hfs -j DEVICENODE MOUNTDIR" apparently forces mounting without journaling.

DEVICENODE being the disk identifier, this can be found while in the Terminal with "diskutil list". MOUNTDIR is wherever it's going to mount. I did this at /Volumes (cause /Volumes/drivename didn't work) which a gently caress up cause it mounted the drive right as /Volumes and unmounted everything else that was there. Not sure what the hell the proper method is but I'd try making a folder in there, then mounting at that folder. Then from there you can use Disk Utility (or stay in the command line) to disable journaling and do a disk check to make sure it's not hosed up, then reenable journaling.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VMWare Fusion 4 is finally out. I'm tempted to snag the update, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable Parallels 7 vs. Fusion 4 articles.
Came to post about that, here's the What's New page, the arbitrary graphics bars are 2.5x longer! It says the $50 price is a limited time promo price too, no clue on normal price though.

Edit: actual 4.0 release notes: http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion4/doc/releasenotes_fusion_40.html
And 4.0.1 :v: (just one fix it looks like): http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion4/doc/releasenotes_fusion_401.html

It requires 64-bit and recommends 10.7, although 10.6 is still supported. Interesting blurb on the What's New page I missed before:

quote:

VMware Fusion 4 now supports OS X Lion in a virtual machine. Get more from your Mac by running OS X Lion, OS X Lion Server, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Leopard in virtual machines. VMware Fusion 4 is the best way to develop and test new applications for the Mac and iOS.
Wonder if they just missed putting Server in there, but that (allowing virtualization) only started with 10.6 Server didn't it?

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 14, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

That's great if you don't own it already, but it's a terrible upgrade price. As a VMWare user it's $29 to upgrade to Parallels 7.

And last year VMWare Fusion upgrades from any version of Fusion or Parallels were just $9.99.

I switched from Parallels 5 to VMWare Fusion 3.1 to Parallels 7 for less than the cost of a straight upgrade of either.
I'm probably going to wait for another deal like that since my VM needs aren't exactly pressing right now. Otherwise I saw this posted over on the Ars forums:

quote:

It seems the promo-code "FUSION20" for 20% off still (?) works.

Oh, and there might be upgrade pricing:

quote:

Upgrade Entitlements Timing
Upgrades for the following products: View 5, Fusion 4, Workstation 8, Site Recovery Manager 5, and vFabric will be available on the licensing portal by the week of 9/19. If you have questions, please contact License support.
(from the License Portal which I only saw after ordering a full copy). >_<
Another poster confirmed the 20% off code works, making it $40 for now at least. Not sure about the entitlements but I'm thinking that's for people that subscribed to some extended support/upgrade thing way back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For someone that's not too knowledgeable about this stuff beyond basics, what are the implications of it loving up permissions/ownership on /usr/local? Security cause anything from your account can write there and/or messing things up in a multiuser environment?

ninepints posted:

I downloaded the trial version of Fusion 4 rather than upgrade immediately, and it looks like they're still using their own fullscreen implementation, except now the animation is broken. :v:
I was wondering about that since they didn't seem to explicitly say they supported Lion's full screen mode on their page, guess that answers that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I'm just assuming the promo pricing is essentially upgrade pricing as well, remember that you can knock off another $10 with the FUSION20 (20% off) code too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you can't link it to the store (which might be the case cause when you bought the MBA) the machine should've come with a USB flash drive with everything on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Never Scroll posted:

So I got an email back from Mac App Store support:

I've read a bunch about how you can tie it to your mac app store account but apparently not?

I used my restore key to install it after getting this feedback.
It's either a post Lion released thing or post Lion new machine (just MBA and Mac mini for now) thing. I'm not sure which, but whatever the case your machine is neither and came with the USB stick. That's your copy and I guess like other apps, there's no way to transfer the license between a non App Store version and the App Store one. With newer machines I figure their copy is considered the App Store one and gets to be linked to the user account, probably because they no longer come with any media other than the installed drive.

SnatchRabbit posted:

How do I access my boot camp drive in Finder in Lion?
It should show up like any other drive, albeit read only.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was about to ask if you've ever changed location then saw the Secrets.pref thing :downs:. Have you searched for them (messing with the different search options like system files and invisibility) to see if they're getting created at all in some mystery location?

edit: cmd-ctrl-shift-4 doesn't create a file, it goes to the clipboard :downs:. The ctrl modifier changes it to clipboard, if you just do cmd-shift-4 it should output a file.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For VMware folks, supposedly the FUSION20 promo code is dead...but there's a better one! WORKSTATION gets you $20 off to end up at $30, got it down to my "impulse buy to stay up to date" price range.

And for something completely different, if you've ever wanted to CPU limit a process for some reason, try cputhrottle. I used it while encoding a video yesterday and it sort of worked, sometimes the cputhrottle process would quit so I don't know if it was the target process itself causing the quit or just something with the cputhrottle app. It works by PID so something that spawns a bunch of sub processes probably wouldn't work too well with it. From what I could tell the percentage goes by CPU cores and seems to ignore hyperthreading, so on a 2 core HT CPU, 200 would be the highest value in it.

There's another trick using SIGSTOP and SIGCONT but supposedly can cause problems for some apps (cputhrottle's page says it just quits on errors, so it might be safer? :iiam:).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

On a somewhat related note, a coworker was asking me questions about Macs today since he's considering one for his dad. I had my Air and my girlfriend's new MacBook Pro on my desk so I decided to show him some cool poo poo. The best examples I could come up with for "it just works" were AirDrop and Back to My Mac. He was extremely impressed with both of those. Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.
That reminds me of a trick I heard about recently, AirDrop on any Mac with Lion (basically just enables it over any network rather than just the new wifi hardware stuff).

As for fancy "just works" stuff, do screen sharing through iChat. It might come in handy to help his dad out remotely if necessary (although it'd require him to get a Mac too of course). Screen Sharing itself is another option but isn't as easy to set up and doesn't have the voice chat. Speaking of which, I guess there's iChat audio/video chat and FaceTime.

Otherwise I'm not sure, just depends on what he might use it for. iPhoto's face tagging and auto album stuff is kind of nice I guess if he takes a bunch of pictures (if it gets the faces right :v:), and the photo book ordering seems pretty nice from what I've read, although I haven't tried it myself yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Can I manually turn a off second internal hard drive in my optibay slot? Apparently the sudden motion sensor only works if the drive is in the main slot where I want to put my SSD, but I still want an option to protect the platter drive when I pick it up.
You might be able to unmount it which may spin it down...the problem is if it's in use by anything you won't be able to unmount it in the first place.

KingEup posted:

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

Are the windows all the same size? If so I think that's a bug that's been around for a while, I remember something similarly funky happening with 10.6's Exposé too sometimes when I had same sized windows.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kalix posted:

Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Is OmniFocus the reining app? Do any of you use this kind of software?
Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.
Macworld has a little more on the iOS 5 reminders here, and I'm sure there's stories/posts about it from others messing with the betas. Looks pretty basic but could be enough depending on what you're really wanting. My needs are pretty basic, just different lists (like you can have separate lists for work and school) and subtasks (...which are basically just lists within lists), it doesn't look like iOS will have that latter one but I haven't followed the beta know for sure. Sounds like you'd use subtasks, so maybe you can get away with just making separate lists for them. It does have other stuff like priority at least.

Currently I use 2Do on iOS but I've heard their current syncing isn't the greatest so I haven't messed with it much, I'm basically just waiting on iCloud for that to hopefully get sorted out.

vlack posted:

I found a couple of cool apps a while back, installed them, and promptly forgot them. I figure if I write some words about them, I'll remember I have them and save myself time in the future, so here's a post.

• ShellHere can be dragged to your Finder toolbar, and it opens a new Terminal window at the current location. Straightforward and useful.
  • LSelect can also be dragged to your Finder toolbar. When you open it, you are presented with a text field into which you type a regular expression, and when you hit return, it will select files with filenames that match the pattern; if you type *.app, it will select all the applications in the current directory. You can then move them around, delete them, whatever, from within the Finder, without having to pop into Terminal.
Thanks, these sound pretty nice. Just to make sure cause it looks like they haven't been updated in a while, do these work fine on Lion?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Decline posted:

I recently purchased a new iMac and Thunderbolt Display for work. The display came early - is there a way to use this with my mid-2009 Macbook Pro? If I can't, it's not a big deal. My new iMac will be here at the end of the week,
Nope, at least until someone comes out with a (probably expensive) adapter. I remember some company/companies saying they were working on it but I don't think anything has come out yet. And this is more of a hardware topic.

It's a good thing Apple prevents you from viewing your Library by default in Lion. :suicide:
Well at least they added the semi recent PDF trojan to their malware thing v:shobon:v. Wonder how long it'll take them to get this Flash one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Here's a prefpane to disable restore on a per app basis: http://www.restoremenot.info/
Haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing it just applies whatever plist attribute to do its thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wasn't Lion supposed to have a notifications system built in?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flyndre posted:

Could someone recommend software for simple picture-editing tasks? Mostly things like cropping, rotating, resizing and things like that.
Preview in /Applications. Well it won't do other stuff like painting but it'll do the stuff you listed and some other things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That looks like the right page, the issue is that YouTube is giving you their HTML5 player so CTF isn't invoking. If you're in the YouTube HTML5 beta try leaving it, then CTF's version should load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

otoh, it shouldn’t be too long until the official thing is released:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/11/steve-jobs-airplay-coming-safari-thirdparty-apps-2011
That was referring to iOS (and indeed AirPlay for everything is coming in iOS 5), not to say that it won't come to the Mac eventually, but there's nothing there indicating that.

lord funk posted:

What?

They ran out of software boxes :colbert: