Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Don Lapre posted:

Put network drivers on the recovery partition and have it download the install image.

Lion Internet Recovery does not require a recovery partition. It is currently only possible on the new Mac mini and MacBook Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Space Racist posted:

How does upgrading on top of Snow Leopard handle your old Time Machine backups?

As long as you aren't erasing the disk to which you're installing, the history for that disk will be unbroken.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

carry on then posted:

I think it works fine. I didn't have to start over again after upgrading, but I did try to be crafty and pull the "Install Lion" app out of my backup and got a "data could not be read or written" error.

Please file a bug and include the archive generated by the tmdiagnose tool.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

theperminator posted:

For anyone having problems with AFP on their NAS being too old, Apple has now posted a KB Document with steps to lower the security of the AFP Client so you can connect to your NAS
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

Note that Time Machine will still require that the NAS properly supports the required AFP features detailed in the TM network interface specification. (These requirements aren't new, but they are strictly enforced in Lion.) Many NASes don't adhere to the specification, and the manufacturers didn't have updates ready.

edit: clarity

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 22, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

gregday posted:

Not sure if it's new to Lion, but I can't find any references to it in older versions, but there is a Time Machine command line tool: tmutil

This is indeed new in Lion.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

carry on then posted:

The new Lion feature is local TM backups when the external drive is absent. I think the exclamation mark appears when TM has created a local backup but hasn't gotten the chance to move it to the external drive.

This is incorrect. Lion GM does not sync local snapshots to the backup disk. The delayed indicator appears when the backup disk cannot be reached. The behavior is slightly different in some situations, compared to Snow Leopard.

If it's bothering you (same goes for anyone else), please file a bug.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

A Duck! posted:

Sorry if I've missed it on a different page, but has anyone seen a review of the new FileVault2 whole disk encryption?

I remember the old FV had some issues with Time Machine and general performance malaise, if it's been fixed I wouldn't mind turning it on now (lots of travel coming up).

"Legacy" FileVault worked by creating an encryption boundary between users via encrypted disk images. FileVault 2 instead encrypts the entire disk.* Time Machine has no problems backing up a FV2-encrypted disk. Time Machine also has a simple way for you to encrypt locally attached backup disks, available as a single checkbox from within the destination sheet of the TM prefs. (TM prefs > Select Disk > Encrypt Backup Disk)

* It's a little more involved than this, but that's the basic idea.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Xandu posted:

The Ars Technica reviews go into it a bit

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/13

It works with time machine and I haven't noticed any performance issues since I turned it on.

FWIW, his explanation of the structure of FV2 is mostly an abridged version of the diskutil man page's section on CoreStorage. The man page has a little more info. If you've enabled FV2 on something, `diskutil cs list` will also give you a good overview of how the stack looks in the CoreStorage world.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 24, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Lazyhound posted:

Huh, I installed Lion to an external drive for testing, and it clobbered a bunch of stuff on my Snow Leopard install (e.g. nuked my keychain & backups, changed my account picture to the one I set in Lion). Nice.

Can you describe what you mean by "nuked my backups"?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

theperminator posted:

Not sure what happened with his, but with mine it clobbered my Time Machine backups

It's still using as much disk space as before, but I don't have access to backups any further back than the day I installed lion, I previously had time machine backups going all the way to december 2010

It sounds like you mean they're not showing up in the Time Machine interface. Yeah? Can you see them in Finder by browsing the Backups.backupdb folder? Are you backing up to a Time Capsule/AFP server, or a locally attached disk?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

theperminator posted:

yeah that sounds about right, I'm backing up to a Time Capsule.

I've got a backup of my Time Machine backups on a USB drive which work fine when i use "Browse another time machine disk"

I'm restoring from the USB HDD to the Time Capsule now, but it has hours to go.

If you're copying the backup of your Time Machine disk image onto the Time Capsule but haven't actually replaced the original yet, let's try an experiment:

code:
tmutil latestbackup ; echo $?
tmutil listbackups ; echo $?
edit:

Also, were you able to perform backups, or was that not working either?

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 24, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

theperminator posted:

I wish I'd posted before I'd started now. because I have already wiped the time capsule to make room for my copy on the hdd since the Time Capsule was already full.

I was able to perform backups without any issue at all, so it's got me beat as to why my earlier backups were unavailable.

How long did you wait after the Time Machine UI came up, before you gave up? In Lion, the Time Machine UI doesn't always need to wait for the Time Capsule's backups to be available; in some scenarios, the UI can come up immediately and the Time Capsule's tick marks will pulse in the timeline until those backups are reachable.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

vlack posted:

Have we talked about Automatic Termination yet? I don't really see the point of letting the system kill my apps when it could just swap them to disk. [. . .] Mac OS X has always had virtual memory, why bother reinventing the same functionality?

Swapping the memory contents of a running process to disk takes significantly longer than the application writing just a little bit of state info. While the process is not in memory, its pages don't need eviction and swapping to disk if another application needs more memory. (Edit: And as someone above me wrote, page faults suck.)

It may also not be possible to swap to disk all of the pages allocated on behalf of the application. During the process' lifetime, memory may be wired on its behalf. These pages cannot be swapped out.

The other answer, wider in scope, is that Automatic Termination is part of the larger application lifecycle in Lion:

Auto Save + Restore + File Coordination + Sudden/Auto Termination = Reduction in the burden of application and document lifecycle management placed upon the user

quote:

I hit this today in an admittedly minor incident with Xcode. I had told it to go grab all its documentation sets. This is several hundred megabytes, maybe several gigabytes, and I went to do other stuff and forgot about it. Later when I switched back to it, the Xcode process had apparently been selected for automatic termination as its windows were dimmed and there was a spinner in the middle of them which took several seconds to finish spinning and let me use Xcode again. When it did, it again asked for my password to install the Xcode docs... apparently it had been killed at some point in the download process and needed to resume.

That sounds like a bug in Xcode, and you should report it. Bugs are fixable.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 25, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Corbet posted:

Is there any way to move Time Machine backup folders from one computer's time machine folder to another computer's folder?

OS X tells me backup files can't be modified. I'm just trying to get my old MBA's time machine backups onto my new MBA (I didn't restore from a Time Machine backup, I started fresh and when I turned Time Machine on, it created a new backup folder)

x-virge posted:

You can copy the entire Backups.backupd instead of just portions from inside it.

That won't do what he wants. The machine directory inside the backup store does not belong to the new machine, and Time Machine on the new machine won't know what he wants to do. (If he had used Migration Assistant, TM would know.)

If you're on Lion, see the tmutil man page for 'inheritbackup' and 'associatedisk'. Unless I misunderstand, both will be required.

edit: But as far as copying the backup store to another disk, x-virge is right that you can copy the whole backup store to another disk via Finder. It just might take a really long time.

edit 2: Corbet, just to make sure we know what you're trying to do, can you be more specific? It's not entirely clear what you want to do. (The "onto my new MBA" bit is throwing me off, because it doesn't jive with the rest. Are you trying to copy data from a backup to the computer, or make a copy of the backup and use the copy with the new computer?)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 27, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

qutius posted:

Am I missing something with Filevault 2 and Time Machine?

It looks like I can encrypt my backup drive, but it says it must erase the drive first...which kind of makes the whole time machine thing not work so well.

Any tricks to get my existing backup data encrypted or do I really need to start from scratch?

Not all partition schemes support CoreStorage. Can you post a screenshot of the actual alert the Time Machine pref pane shows you? Also, the output of this:

diskutil list

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Corbet posted:

Both Time Machine backups are in the same Bckups.backupd folder:

When I Enter Time Machine, it only lets me go back to the backups in the "Corbet's MBA" folder.

(You should read my reply to both you and x-virge, btw.)

You can use the Time Machine UI to browse the other backups in that backup store ("Backups.backupd" folder) by opening the TM menu, holding option, and choosing "Browse Other Backup Disks". (It says disks but means more.) You should see the other machine's backups in the window that appears.

However, you can't duplicate the old machine's backup in place; that is, you can't make a copy of "MacBook Air" in the same Backups.backupdb folder, because you can't modify that part of the backup in that way. If that's what you want to do, please file an enhancement request. (bugreport.apple.com)

Do I have that right? Is that what you wanted to do?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Oneiros posted:

Everything I've read so far suggests that it is impossible to non-destructively resize a core storage volume (encrypted ala File Vault 2) either through Disk Utility.app or the diskutil command. Is this correct or does anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

I don't know the limitations of Disk Utility and diskutil, but the general answer is a little complicated. In order to understand what is and isn't possible, you need to know a little bit about what the CoreStorage world looks like.

First, some definitions:

"Physical device" - The actual, physical drive. Either the SSD or the dinosaur with platters and magnets. A piece of hardware.

"Whole disk node" - Something whose disk identifier is in the form of "diskX" (e.g., "disk0"), as seen in `diskutil list`.

"Device node" - Something whose disk identifier is in the form of "diskXsY" (e.g., "disk0s1"), as seen in `diskutil list`.

"Partition" - A device node that may contain a file system.

"Physical volume" (PV) - In CoreStorage, device node that provides the storage for a CoreStorage logical volume. When using FileVault 2 disk encryption, this is where the encrypted blocks for the logical volume live.

"Logical volume" (LV) - In CoreStorage, a device node that contains the HFS+ file system you actually see in Finder, etc.

I will omit discussing the logical volume group (LVG) and logical volume family (LVF) constructs, because they're not important here.

Second, a tour of the world:

code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
This is a whole disk node.

code:
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Cubs                    28.9 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Dodgers                 28.7 GB    disk0s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS Giants                  28.7 GB    disk0s6
   7:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s7
These are various partitions that correspond to device nodes.

code:
   8:          Apple_CoreStorage                         98.7 GB    disk0s8
This device node is a CoreStorage PV.

code:
   9:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s9
  10:                  Apple_HFS Angels                  98.7 GB    disk0s10
  11:                  Apple_HFS Mets                    709.8 GB   disk0s11
More normal partitions.

code:
/dev/disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS Mariners               *98.4 GB    disk1
This is a CoreStorage LV. The HFS+ partition on it can be seen in Finder. It's actually a whole disk node that contains a file system. The actual storage for this volume is disk0s8.

Third, resizing implications:

If you want to make the LV named "Mariners" smaller, you need less PV space for the LV's storage. That's not a problem; the PV can be resized to be smaller. If you want to make the LV larger, you need to be able to grow the PV in order to provide more backing storage for the LV. (Technically, you just need to add more PV space.) In the example above, you can see that there's a partition after the PV. Additionally, there is no space between disk0s8 and disk0s9 (which isn't apparent in the example, but the math works out). This means because you can't grow the PV (or add more PVs to the LVG), you can't make the associated LV larger.

So like I said, I don't know what functionality Disk Utility and diskutil support, but that's the basic overview of what the new world looks like.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 11, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
If any of that was unclear, holla.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
If you want to know what Time Machine should back up, modulo a few details, use `sudo tmutil compare` without any options. It will determine what needs to be backed up since your last completed backup. If that disagrees with what you see in the Time Machine progress UI (menu item or pref pane), file a bug and include the data generated by tmdiagnose.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Krakkles posted:

So I realized my Time Machine backup is doing the same thing as everyone else's - I'm now down to ~50gb free on my 500gb backup drive, whereas I had about 320 before. Could it be related to the local snapshots now being created? I guess there's no real reason those should take up more space, but it seems like the single biggest change to the TM setup.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more plausible it seems. If TM is merging the local snapshot(s) into the TM timeline, but also doing an independent snapshot when plugged in, this could easily be what's causing it. The local snapshots seem to be stored in /Volumes/MobileBackups according to some googling, but I can't figure out how to exclude that from the TM backup.

The other question would then be, if we exclude it, will it still merge them into the timeline?

Time Machine does not sync local snapshots to your backup disk. You also do not need to exclude /Volumes/MobileBackups from backups.

Seriously guys, you need to file bugs. Include the archive produced by tmdiagnose.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 5, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Nuntius posted:

Time Machine Question folks. I just bought a new 2TB drive, and GUID partitioned it into two HFS Journaled 1TB partitions. I want one partition to be the backup of the computer it is connected to - easy enough. The other partition is to be the backup of my girlfriends laptop, done wirelessly (I know this is possible without problems).

What I want to know is, can I plug the disk directly into her computer, have it do it's first backup over USB, and then plug it back into my main computer and have it continue doing the rest over wifi or will it think it is a differnt backup?

Short answer:

If you start the initial backup with the USB disk connected directly to the Mac, the backup you create will not be usable over the network and Time Machine will need to create a new backup once you move the disk to the network.

Long answer + solution:

(edit: rewritten for clarity)

Network Time Machine backups use disk images; AFP lacks the file system semantics that Time Machine backups require. A journaled HFS+ file system provides the necessary mechanics for Time Machine. When you back up over the network, Time Machine uses a disk image that contains the right kind of file system.

So what you have is two basic scenarios:

A. You connect a USB/FireWire/etc disk directly to your Mac and back up to it. Time Machine creates a Backups.backupdb folder on the disk and puts your backups in there.
- or -
B. You select as your backup destination a Time Capsule or disk connected to another Mac. Time Machine creates a disk image on that network share, mounts the disk image, and creates a Backups.backupdb folder on that disk image's file system.

However, if there's a Time Machine disk image at the root of a locally attached disk, Time Machine will find it and back up to it. So what you can do is start the backup over the network, pull the disk off the other Mac, connect the disk directly, reselect the backup disk in the Time Machine preferences, and then finish the backup. (If you don't want to wait for it to complete over the network, that is.)

Nuntius posted:

Thanks. Will Time Machine be smart enough to know that computer A has backups for one month but computer B only gets backed up weekly and when it comes to deleting backups it should delete the oldest of the two, not the oldest of computer B when computer B needs the space?

One Mac does not know about the backups of other Macs, and therefore will not attempt to delete backups belonging to other Macs.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 7, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

DigitalChaos posted:

Some of my AppleScripts have become broken after upgrading to Lion. Basically, a "do shell script "rm stuff"" operation no longer has the permission to do so. How do I get around this? I assume there is some way to escalate the permission asses that my script has in Lion now? This is just basic file deletion stuff.

The Time Machine preferences file is root:wheel 644. You cannot remove it without administrator privileges. This is not new in Lion; the Time Machine preferences file was locked down in Snow Leopard.

What are you really trying to do by deleting this file? What's the higher-level goal? Deleting the Time Machine preferences from underneath the system is probably the wrong way to do whatever it is you really want to accomplish.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 8, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

DigitalChaos posted:

It's just a quick and dirty way to swap in/out multiple time machine configs automatically (based on if a specific external drive is plugged in, etc). It lets me use more than one TM backup location without having to manually swap.

I've tried adding "with administrator privileges" at the end of the specific lines but then I get an authentication prompt every time the script runs. I really wish there was a way to grant the privileges needed without requiring my intervention.

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

quote:

Also, the perms on these files don't seem to matter. I set them all to root:wheel 666 and still get the Permission Denied error. The blocking is happening above the file system permissions.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

wolffenstein posted:

In addition to the previous suggestions, I suggest learning about Linux's design philosophy and using the command line interface. Learning those helps with insight into OS X, although there are some major differences.

Linux's design philosophy diverges significantly from OS X in many places. (E.g., the launchd architecture.)

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

DigitalChaos posted:

Well, even tmutil brings me right back to square one of needing root privs:

code:
     setdestination [-p] arg
             Configure a local HFS+ volume or AFP share as the backup destina-
             tion. Requires root privileges.
So, it doesn't matter how I go about this. Changing my TM destination requires root privs and I still don't know of a way to do that in a way that works and doesn't require constant user interaction (entering a password, etc)

Nothing changes from a privilege standpoint. Like I said, the Time Machine preferences are locked down. This is a system security feature.

If you're going to use AppleScript, you'll need to use "with administrator privileges" to execute the shell command. Unless your script is long-lived, you won't be prompted more than once:

ADC posted:

Once a script is correctly authenticated, it will not ask for authentication again for five minutes.

via: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2065

You can embed the authentication credentials in the "do shell script" command, but I don't recommend doing that. Unprivileged attackers will be able to read that data unless you make it so only root can read the script, at which point you won't be able to read the file to run it.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

chimz posted:

Does it actually support backups? I don't think it does officially.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Edit: a Genius friend is saying it does. Hm.

AirPort Extreme Base Stations are not officially supported Time Machine devices.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

computer parts posted:

Filevault 2 is pretty seamless, and aside from requiring the recovery partition and having to login before most stuff boots up I haven't really noticed any difference with it on.

(also you can encrypt your Time Machine backups, although you have to reformat first)

You may have to reformat the backup disk in order to encrypt it. The partition map for the disk needs to be GUID. If it's APM or MBR, the disk has to be reformatted as GUID. Otherwise, you cannot activate FileVault 2 full disk encryption. When you encrypt the backup disk via the Time Machine preference pane,* Time Machine will detect whether the disk requires reformatting and will:

1. Warn you first.
2. Allow you to reformat from within the TM prefs.

* You can enable backup disk encryption from the Select Disk sheet in the TM prefs.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 10, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Toe Rag posted:

I don't use Amazon S3, so I cannot confirm this, but I would think Transmit should accomplish this. I know it can connect to Amazon S3, and it allows you to mount servers as disks, so you should be able to mount an S3 share as a disk and then use that for your TM volume. You can download a free trial and find out.

As I understand it, S3 is neither an AFP nor an HFS+ file system. I would also avoid relying on anything that plays tricks to export or synthesize from an S3 store something that resembles an AFP or HFS+ file system.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 10, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Crush posted:

Is there any other way to disable Journaling other than selecting the desired drive and hitting Alt + File in Disk Utility? Perhaps a Terminal.app command?

Edit: Found it. diskutil disable journal / seems to have done the trick.

Why do you want to disable the file system journal for your startup disk?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations? For example, I have my girlfriend trained to plug in her external hard drive every once in a while and Time Machine does its thing. However, I'd also like to get her laptop using my Time Capsule whenever she brings her computer over so we have an extra layer of protection. I imagine it "just works" if I add my Time Capsule as a Time Machine destination, but I want to make sure it'll continue to use her external as well since that ends up with more frequent snapshots.

Thanks.

Time Machine will behave. In Lion, you will need to switch the backup disk setting manually. In Mountain Lion, you will be able to set up a list of destinations and Time Machine will deal with the situation automatically:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165496/ten_exciting_system_changes_in_mountain_lion.html

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Binary Badger posted:

There's kind of a cheat to do it by using an AppleScript that switches in different destinations based on a 2007 prefpane called "Do Something When."

Says it works in 10.6, but no idea if it works in Lyon.

Don't change the Time Machine plist file out from underneath Time Machine. Script tmutil instead.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Anjow posted:

Thanks, that does it. It's a pain not to be able to have that as the default, but it'll have to do.

You can remap it in Keyboard prefs.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

G Money posted:

My co-worker's Macbook Pro was stolen & recovered (after being re-formatted) earlier this week, and we're trying to figure out if there's any precautions we should take with the laptop itself now it's back.

The thief only had it for one evening before he was caught, but he was able to wipe & re-install OS X. In the worst case scenario I can think of, the thief could have broken into the existing admin account, reset that password, logged in, made a time machine copy of the admin account and then wipe the system.

Highly unlikely, but technically possible. Obviously, my co-worker is changing all passwords and a few company passwords as well.

Are there any other scenarios to be concerned about when the laptop was "out in the wild"?

1. Assume the data was stolen prior to the machine being erased. Take whatever action necessary based on that assumption.
2. Assume all credentials have been compromised. Change all passwords to all sites and services that could have been used from that machine or whose credentials may have been in chat logs, emails, etc.
3. Assume there is now malicious software installed that you cannot detect. Erase the machine and restore it from a backup.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

do it posted:

How can I repartition my startup partition to add more space? Disk Utility isn't allowing it.

There are various limitations by which Disk Utility is bound. (Some are implementation limitations, some are conceptual, some are file system.) What does your partition setup look like? Do this in Terminal:

code:
diskutil list
And describe what specific repartitioning you're trying to achieve.

Edit: And tell us what version of OS X you're running.

(There's also the possibility you've hit a bug in DU or somewhere below it, but let's start with the above.)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 27, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

do it posted:

code:

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Backup                  32.2 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS HDD                     327.8 GB   disk0s3
I want HDD to use the remaining free space.

It sounds like you're try to expand disk0s3 to use the remaining ~140 GB of the drive. Correct? And you get an error when you do that? (What error?) If so, what happens if you try to resize that to 100 MB less than the amount of unused space?

Edit: If the above is what you're trying to do, where is the unused space? Is it after HDD or between Backup and HDD? (A screenshot of Disk Utility would be helpful.)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 27, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Peven Stan posted:

Just got that there Macbook Pro Retina. Loving it so far but I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do a system migration from my old whitebook than trying to do it on wifi.

The gigabit adapter is great and not at all expensive. Another option that should be faster than WiFi is to migrate from a Time Machine backup of your old Mac, assuming you're backing up to a disk that has an available connector.

Peven Stan posted:

Can I just plug one mac to the other via ethernet?

Yes. (Edit: Most likely, it'll just work, but there may be some minor network configuration twiddling required. Depends on how the machines are currently configured on that ethernet interface.)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 27, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Petey posted:

I'm having some bizarre Time Machine problems on my ~2008 2.2 Core Due black plastic macbook running 10.7.3.

A few weeks ago my Time Machine started throwing an error of backup failed. Figuring something had gotten corrupted, I went to erase the external HD, but Disk Utility couldn't unmount the disk, no matter what I did.

I assumed something was busted with this HD, so I ordered a new external HD. Plugged it in, formatted it - fine. Ran one backup that seems to have worked, and then subsequent backups all failed too. Went to wipe this HD, and now this one won't unmount.

Please show me the messages in your system log from backupd at the time of the failure. Additionally, look for messages from the kernel that mention disk I/O errors, and include those as well. They may be present at other times or in system logs that have been rotated.

edit: FYI the best thing to do is file a bug and include the data gathered by tmdiagnose.

quote:

I had read that sometimes TM doesn't play nicely with hubs

Time Machine has no idea what a USB hub is; the connection topology of your backup disk, at that level, is completely unknown to TM.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 12, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Petey posted:

In full sequence, on a second try:

Filter the system log for "kernel". Are there any messages containing the text "I/O error" or "hfs"? If so, can you paste those?

quote:

Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't sure why the Apple Discussions forums were saying that.

Bad hubs can certainly cause various kinds of issues, but they won't be specific to Time Machine.

edit:

japtor posted:

Try without the hub to cut out any possible hardware issues.

This is useful advice, and you should try it.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Petey:

Eliminate the hub from the picture and see if the issue stops reproducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
PSA:

Mountain Lion introduces new Time Machine functionality in the form of multiple backup destinations. You can configure an arbitrary number of destinations and TM will automatically choose the next destination when it backs up.

Adding a backup disk is the same as selecting one for the first time. If you have a single destination, you'll be asked whether you want to replace it or use both.

You can also right-click on a destination icon in the TM pref pane to start a backup to it directly. Removing destinations can be done by right-clicking on a destination icon or from within the Select Disk sheet.

The tmutil tool has been expanded to support the feature, as well. There are enhancements to the 'startbackup' and 'setdestination' verbs, as well as the addition of 'removedestination' and 'destinationinfo' verbs. The man page has details for those interested.

If you find a bug, please report it and include the data gathered by tmdiagnose.