Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I'm running VMWare Fusion 6 on parallels for a Windows 8 VM for work. I am noticing that once the VM has been running for a while (3-4 hours) performance gradually degrades to the point when even explorer is unusable (NOTHING else is running on the system at the time). I am also noticing that terminal windows can take quite a while to pop up (i use my VM to run some batch scripts that can spawn 10 or so windows at a time). This is happening on a 2013 rMBP with 8GB of RAM and a 2.6Ghz i5.

Any of you goons have come across this before?

Is your machine swapping to disk? I have the same configuration for my 2013 rMBP and mavericks + fusion + win8.1 seems like it's taking a lot more mem than before. I used a 2012 rMBP with the 2.6 and 8 GB for the same setup before and it was ok then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

But how do you know which videos are sigint false flag parallel construction Obama hitler deceptions then?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is this contacts syncing? Because according to the logs its been doing this every 30 seconds since I got this macbook.

11/5/13 11:41:52.770 PM AddressBookSourceSync[2068]: Address Book event completed. Changes: 0 (0/0/0).
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.sleepservices.addressbookData
com.apple.message.value: 0
com.apple.message.uuid: stuff
com.apple.message.uuid2: stuff
com.apple.message.wake_state: 0
Sender_Mach_UUID: stuff

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If you have Facebook poo poo turned on for notification center, is something supposed to happen if you click them? Only recently has my macbook started displaying them but if I click them, safari gets activated but it doesn't actually load Facebook or anything. Twitter notifications still haven't worked but thats not really a big deal.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Students can get Office 365 University, which includes Office for PC and Mac for 4 years for $80.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-office-365-university-2013-FX102918415.aspx

MS also announced last Dec that some of their Dreamspark programs for schools would be giving Office away for free. But I can't find much info on that. Doesn't seem like my school is part of that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

edit; never mind, that cloud icon means something

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 18, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There is a 10.9.2 OS X update available now. I'm not seeing a fix for the recent problem in the notes?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If you're a student you can get a 6 month last pass premium upgrade for free.

https://lastpass.com/edupromo.php

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You don't actually need an active connection to use the last pass extension on desktop or mobile.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a way to have a couple network drives mounted automatically when my macbook connects to a given ssid? Not really seeing anything in Automator to do this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Should I drop $16 on istat menus or is there something else with its functionality.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You can close the lid if you have synergy running too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I backup to a time machine box, how come I don't have any of those backups on my mbp?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What are the correct steps to take when trying to "reattach" to a Time Machine backup?

I decided to clean install yosemite and now Time Machine can see the old sparse bundle but thinks I'm on a different computer and wants to start all over.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does anyone have Synergy working at the login screen on Yosemite?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

do you guys notice the time machine icon being fuzzy sometimes? It's like sometimes it doesn't use the retina version or something.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Since 10.10.2, Internet Accounts, calendar and contacts will not sync with my google account. I use 2fa and app passwords used to work but they don't with this anymore. Are others having this problem? I've been just ignoring it because it's not a huge deal and I saw in an upcoming release they are changing how the login works.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just got a 10.10.3 public beta signup email.
https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

why not do what pivo suggested and only add the files you want to the commit?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've switched from adblock to ublock on all my computers and browsers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I can 2 factor into my google account and sync calendar again!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not really a fan of Sublime. Webstorm 10 and Adobe's Brackets are what I've been using lately.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So what happens when you select that drive in Time Machine and click Use Disk? Check the console logs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There is an default app called Console that'll show you all your logs. Finder version of the drive is the samba/cifs share and the Time Machine would be the afp I believe here. Try doing from Finder, Command + K to connect to server and putting in afp://serverip.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

brew with smartmontools?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There is this front end gui for smartmontools: http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads

I've never used it. I use a front end on my windows box called hdd guardian but it looks like that is windows only.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If you can hook your macbook up via ethernet it should work better. That's what I do anyway.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

turn your fan up regardless.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Youtube Dash player thingy is terribly annoying.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Depending on the purpose and needs you could also consider installing into a vm. On my mac and my windows box I keep a vm that I use just for installing weird poo poo that I'm not sure I'll ever use again or whatever but don't want cluttering up my "main" poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

terre packet posted:

I use my iPhone 6's Personal Hotspot via USB to get online with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Yesterday after a restart, the USB Interface option randomly and literally disappeared from the Network preference pane.

I can still get online with a Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth, and tried a different cable to eliminate a faulty USB cable. Any suggestions on how I can get my precious wired connection back?

Same problem, can get on via wifi but usb tether is gone completely.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how do I reinstall the bootcamp tools on windows? I had bootcamp setup before and it was working fine but I did a full reinstall after 10.11 and now things work except the function keys don't control brightness/sound/etc no matter what I choose in the bootcamp control panel.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

is this something new or have I never noticed it, if you start moving the mouse cursor around really fast it grows huge.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Win7 shipped with all of the things he posted about.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

oops nevermind

phosdex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 10, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If I have a Firefox window open on my main display and have a second window open in fullscreen on my second monitor, the main display while Firefox has focus will hide the menu bar and dock. Safari does not have this same behavior.

Is this a Firefox thing? Or Mac OS being weird for a non Apple app?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Compared to a browser-based adblocker, a pi-hole is less effective.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm not going to bother debating the merits of this argument, but if you are technical enough to be in this thread, why wouldn't you?

I don't get what you're asking. If you can you should be running an adblocker in your browser as it is more effective than running without one and only relying on pi-hole.

I have a pi-hole on my network but I use Firefox with ublock on all of my computers because it will block things pi-hole cannot.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have been using Bitwarden for like 4 years now and am totally happy with it. I use it on Mac, PC, iphone, ipad. Tossing that option out there if you want to use a free product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Aren't there rumored AirPods, wireless headphones, and a new HomePod? Any of those could be announced at wwdc.