Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Performance / Overheating? issue :

I have a late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro (2.53 c2d / 4GB / 9400m + 9600mgt)

Since upgrading to Lion , and playing WoW , i've noticed some awful "throttling" to the point where it's like slow-motion when the laptop is working hard.

I've turned the graphical settings WAY down on WoW, and if i use the 9400, it works just fine for hours on end(albeit not great). When I use the 9600, after a while, it seems as though it breaks into brief bits of "slow motion", where it seems that it's downclocking briefly to prevent overheating. (Side note : Playing WoW in Bootcamp with Windows 7 , it gets to the point where while i'm playing WoW the laptop forces itself into standby, when CoreTemp reports my cpu at 98 deg. celsius).

Has anyone else seen anything similar? A way to check if my theory is correct? Never had this issue in Snow Leopard, but maybe my hardware's just starting to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I wasn't even aware that zapping the PRAM was still a thing, since i'd last done it on my PowerBook G3 from 1999. Heh. I'll try that after work. Thanks for the idea!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Smoke posted:

I've got a slight issue with my Macbook that's been getting more annoying over time. I'm running a mid-2007 Macbook(2GHz C2D) that I've upgraded by installing 2GB of RAM and a 320GB harddisk in over time. I've also upgraded the OS(came with Tiger) whenever possible. I'm running Lion on it at the moment(It's just too old for Mountain Lion) but I've noticed it's quite sluggish to use from time to time.

I'm not running any heavy apps on it(at least not most of the time), just Chrome with a few open tabs and a few other smaller programs. I do have a hell of a lot of pageouts/pageins though, and occasionally very little free RAM. I don't recall having these issues under Snow Leopard.

Now, would it be better for me to take a day or two and downgrade back to Snow Leopard(I've got Time Machine backups but I'd have to reinstall most applications) or would I be better off tossing another GB of RAM in there? The Mid-2007 Macbook is limited to a maximum of 3GB for hardware reasons apparently.

from my experience, Lion with less than 4GB loving hates you. It's probably worth it to roll back to 10.6.8.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Did Apple give any rough timeline of when they expect to have Yosemite GM ready? That or the public beta I guess. I have legit access to the dev builds but I haven't really been keeping up with OSX this past year, just wondering how far along the chain we think we are at this point.

This'll also probably be the first time I don't straight up drop a beta on my device since I need it to be kind of stable for work. It stings not being on the bleeding edge :emo:

I'm pretty sure I just snagged the public beta yesterday. Runs surprisingly snappy on my old 2008 MBP.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

japtor posted:

I'm still on Mavericks and tested that out, it worked the same way you're seeing in Yosemite. I could also test out on 10.6 and 10.8 machines if you're still 99.9% sure it worked differently :v:

Just tested on my 10.6.8 system and it did it.

made a folder
highlight it, cmd+c
put something in the folder

paste it somewhere, and the contents followed.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Does anyone have a problem with Yosemite where a folder in the dock in list view has the items in the wrong order? When I click on the dock icon for my Downloads folder it shows the OLDEST item at the bottom, and the newest item at the top. Fan has the correct order.

Does that for me for all ways to sort. the "top" of the Fan is the "bottom" of the List.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

JamesOff posted:

Has anyone done NetInstall/NetBoot using Microsoft DHCP? I have a Mini running OS X Server (Yosemite), and we have a Windows domain so DHCP is done by that.

I can see my NetInstall image in the Startup Disk preference panel, but when I restart the machine to boot from it, or boot holding N, I get a blinking globe which after 30s or so gives up and it boots the local disk.

I've packet-captured the machine while it was trying that, and I can see it sending DHCP requests which get offers in response, but it seems to ignore them - presumably because it's requesting some options which aren't in the reply, specifically 67 Bootfile Name, 43 Vendor Specific Information, and 60 Vendor Class Identifier. Having failed to get an IP, I guess it never even manages to do the BSDP broadcast to find my OS X Server. When it does have an IP (when booted normally, and having made a "normal" DHCP request which it likes the answer to), it can then do the BSDP broadcast and the NetBoot server shows up in Startup Disk.

I've had a look around for examples of how to configure MS DHCP to give answers the Mac likes, but part of the problem is options 43 and 60. 60 seems to need to be "AAPLBSDPC/i386" and possibly a model after that (in the reply from the server? not sure) but 43 needs to be some constructed byte value which contains the BSDP information and looks like it's dynamically built by bootpd as it assembles the reply: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Service_Discovery_Protocol

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just go round to machines with a USB stick to install them which is much less convenient and much slower, but at least I can use the OS X Server for things like caching updates.

(Moving the server and the Macs to their own VLAN so I can use all the native Apple things is not really an option.)

Anyone else made this environment work? If so, how?

In my environment, DHCP is handled by windows (whitelist only) , and we have our Mac Deployment box running it's own (whitelist only) netboot / dhcp just for deployment. No subnetting or other network fuckery necessary.

might want to maybe just try letting OSX take care of DHCP/Netboot... with the whitelist only it should prevent it from screwing up existing clients / your windows world.

This system was kind of set up already when I got here, so I can't explain a whole lot more detail than that, myself.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

What onscreen instructions? Here's a screenshot of what happens every time I try it. If you're just going to be a jackass don't bother replying.

edit for more content: The last time I had to do this (with the same ISO) I used Terminal and it worked perfectly.

here's how that window appears to the rest of the competent world.

how old is the system you're doing this on? what version of osx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

What are the anti virus and anti malware solutions you guys like to use on your macs?

We use Sophos at work. Nothing prevents users from constantly installing browser hijackers, but it's better than nothing.