Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Greetings SHSC gooners. I have a Mac Mini in my downstairs office and an old Dell laptop that sits by my side in the family room that I use as it's more convenient. I'd love to be able to replicate the RDP in Windows going to my Mac as I really like how it creates a new session that fits the local (ie: Windows laptop) settings instead of how VNC doesn't quite fit. Is there any good solutions out there for replicating this on the Mac? Last time I checked this out (2008), there really weren't, but I am hoping that some clever programmer has pushed the ball farther.

Thanks!

edit: Bonus points for being able to wake a sleeping Mac Mini!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a well documented solution to getting bootcamp installed on a 1tb fusion drive? I tried it last night using the utility to create a 200gb partition, after hanging for three hours I killed it and used disk utility to restore the free space it took. The next attempt worked (250 gigs this time) but when I ran windows installed it said it couldn't install to that partition. I tried to format it in the installer and it still couldn't. I googled and saw that's a common problem so I tried to create the partition manually as FAT32 but that took four hours and ended up making a 650 gig windows partition somehow! I just killed it and went to bed defeated.

What the hell am I doing wrong here? I've done bootcamp tons of times on previous machines (Mac minis, MacBook pros) and never encountered issues just getting the partition going. I suspect it has something to do with the fusion but I would have thought it would have been sorted out by now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

the_lion posted:

Be really careful, it's really touchy. I had to internet recovery my machine due to attempting to install bootcamp (plus my own stupidity). 1tb fusion drive, iMac 2012 model. Long story short, don't use Disk Utility to create the partition in 10.8.2, not sure if they fixed this in later versions. According to the Apple guy I talked to, Bootcamp installing works different if you are using a fusion drive. I had similar problems to you, doing a clean install via internet recovery gave me 10.8.3 which seemed to solve the problem. Are you using the newest system update?

Original post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&userid=165168#post415203321

Thanks for the caution and the link, I will check it out when I get home. It's a brand new 2012 iMac that I just received. I believe its the newest version so I will have to double check on that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

the_lion posted:

Be really careful, it's really touchy. I had to internet recovery my machine due to attempting to install bootcamp (plus my own stupidity). 1tb fusion drive, iMac 2012 model. Long story short, don't use Disk Utility to create the partition in 10.8.2, not sure if they fixed this in later versions. According to the Apple guy I talked to, Bootcamp installing works different if you are using a fusion drive. I had similar problems to you, doing a clean install via internet recovery gave me 10.8.3 which seemed to solve the problem. Are you using the newest system update?

Original post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&userid=165168#post415203321

Turns out I had one too many external drives plugged in (just thumb drives) and that caused it to freak out. I had just the windows USB in and did it again, worked flawlessly. I did have to reformat the boot camp drive in the installer, but that's it.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Are there any programs or tweaks that I can use to make sure that a network drive is always connected? If it gets disconnected or for whatever reason isn't, to then connect it? I have my Plex server on the iMac and the files on my NAS and want to ensure that it's always there. I've had the drive disappear seemingly random without reboots or sleep/wake cycles being involved. Could be something with fast user switching to my wifes account but am doubtful of that.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Probably something you could use controlplane to do one way or another http://www.controlplaneapp.com/

If it doesn't support it directly, it also allows you to use shell scripts.

Thanks. I will check these both out!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I am having a recurring issue that I cannot pin down the cause on. Seemingly randomly, my bluetooth mouse and keyboard clicks are not being recognized on my iMac. I see the mouse moving around, but clicking does nothing and doesn't terminate my screensaver. The odd thing is, if I remote in via Teamviewer (most times, not every time) it'll 'unfreeze' the issue and allow keyboard/mouse input. At this point everything is gravy until it repeats.

What can I look for to see what potentially could be causing this issue? I'm not even sure where to start and it's getting quite infuriating! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

Every time I have had an issue with anything wireless acting crazy I've just replaced the battery/batteries and it works fine again.

I did this as well, which consequently it was having issues when the batteries were getting weak. However, BOTH the mouse and keyboard being unresponsive at the same time? Sounds fishy to me that it'd be a power level issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, having a bit of trouble with my late 2012 iMac.

The hybrid drive was failing so I picked up a WD Blue SSD to replace it. The install went fine (other than there not being any room for the thermal sensor pigtail so I ended up not using the hard drive caddy, just hanging there) and entered internet recovery. I had a Time Capsule backup and pointed the restore to it. It wouldn’t work at first so I opted to just do a fresh install, assuming Mountain Lion had some conflict with a Catalina time capsule backup.

At some point in the install I was able to transfer from the TC, so I selected that. The install did its thing for an hour or so and now it’s caught in a boot loop.

Boot into Install, calculating time remaining, after a bit it crashes and sends right into the recovery partition. No amount of reboots gets it going. I decide to nuke the drive and start over, so try to Erase the partially installed partition. Now I get an error: “Volume Encrypt and Erase failed with error: Couldn’t unmount disk.’

It’s as if the drive is frozen mounted and the install is failing because of that. If I select clean install again the same behavior exists.

I’ve tried resetting the PRAM and SMC.

In recent reboots I’m getting a system crash log, but nothing really stands out as to what is going on.

What’s the best path forward? It feels like there’s something wrong in the boot record, something corrupted. I can’t make a USB recovery as this was my only Mac, only have Windows.

Appreciate any help! Trying to get this bad boy up and running, would have figured a hard drive swipe would be straight forward.

e: Fiddling with it some more and I was able to Safe Mode and got my users login screen. Rebooting out of safe mode kept taking me to a crash screen (a new one). But if I can operate in safe mode, can I make a recovery disk there and then boot off that perhaps? I have the Catalina file downloaded in Applications still. Working out the command for mountain lion to create the install media off of that

Also note: Command-R doesn't seem to do f-all for booting me into a recovery mode now.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

From my issue above: the root cause was that I didn't split apart the fusion drive before doing all of this. I had no idea it was two separate drives. I foolishly thought the SSD portion was built into the physical HDD! No idea I needed to do a step before replacing it.

I THINK I have it all restored properly now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good solution to VNC (or screen sharing) into my iMac from Windows so that it does not disrupt the user physically logged in AND being able to copy/paste between the two?

I have this working with RealVNC VNC Viewer running on my Windows machine and selecting the IP address of the iMac. It asks for which user and credentials and it merrily provides me a VNC instance, but copy/paste does not work.

If I add the Mac to the RealVNC server product it will only allow me to take full control of the computer and disrupts the person physically using it.

I'm nearly into the arrangement that I'm looking for but copy/paste is the last bit to get me into a Mac environment without having to physically have one in my setup.

Appreciate any insights, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'll check out Anydesk, not sure I trust TeamViewer these days. I recall there being issues with them.

By disrupt I mean two people logged in and accessing a desktop at the same time, one of which at the mouse and keyboard. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, I have been playing around with Catalina in a VM on my UnRaid server and things are humming along just fine. It's very nice to be able to use iMessage on my Desktop during the work day. One strange thing, which I THINK is a macOS issue and not because I'm in a VM, in iMessage when someone posts a GIF (could be from #images, not sure) they all come over as a ? in a box. If I do a quick-look or Open on it, it opens in preview although not animated so the graphic data is coming through.

Any thoughts? Googling wasn't very helpful as it has solutions for Emoji, but the Emoji are coming through just fine.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Last Chance posted:

GIFs typically show without issue in Messages.app, although I don't know what "#images" refers to here.

My guess is that graphics acceleration may not be available in a VM and that might be required for Messages to show GIFs

Ahhh that's a good thing to check. I'll look into that! Logical

#images is the app on iOS that people often search for images/gifs and paste them into the chat. I suspect that is where some of my friends are posting them from, although the source is likely irrelevant.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So, scrap that VM plan. I completely forgot that my wife has a 2012 iMac that I can use concurrently provided I VNC in using the built in Screen Sharing.

Problem is, I can't copy/paste to/from the iMac from Windows 10 using RealVNC VNC Viewer.

I tried setting up VNC Server and Splashtop on it, but it controls the whole PC and doesn't allow concurrent users (I remoting in the background and not disturbing her use at the keyboard/mouse). The C/P works just fine in those situations.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there something I'm missing here to enable clipboard sharing over VNC between Mac and Windows? Is there a better Windows client that will work? Seems like it's a macOS limitation, but I could be wrong.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Will both of those allow concurrent logins? So I can remote into the background while another user is on the desktop?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just to clarify, I'm using Windows to remote into my wife's iMac, not vice versa. I don't think RDP can be set up as a server in macOS

It would not be the same user at the same time, two separate ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

I use VNC a lot for work. Jump will cost for a Mac license, TeamViewer will be free. Both support the user and clipboard situation you’re looking for.

Chrome Remote Desktop, tightvnc, and Parsec will also work but I don’t know about their clipboard support. All those are free.

Thanks! I'll explore those out. Appreciate the responses.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Comedy option to try would be to use the Catalina VM on your NAS to use Screen Sharing to remote into your wife's computer.

Real answer I guess would be to try other VNC clients, or just search around for any with Mac clipboard support. Or be ghetto and just use some other shared app as a pseudo clipboard, like Google Docs but more meant for to be used as a networked clipboard...actually there’s clipboard apps so just look for one of those with sync support.

I love the comedy option of the VM. Xzibit would show up real fast and show me how it's really done of course.

Funny thing is that I did use the Google Keep as a fake clipboard for a while.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

I use VNC a lot for work. Jump will cost for a Mac license, TeamViewer will be free. Both support the user and clipboard situation you’re looking for.

Chrome Remote Desktop, tightvnc, and Parsec will also work but I don’t know about their clipboard support. All those are free.

Circling back around on this. Teamviewer ended up being the best solution over all. Only a tiny bit of weirdness that I need to use WinKey->C, etc to copy/paste, but I'll get my muscle memory working on that.

TV is also VERY snappy! It doesn't even feel like I'm remote on it!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just hope you don't get the infamous "your account has been closed for commercial use" when you've not used the account for commercial.

I moved to Jump a few years ago because of this and it does everything just as well as TV luckily, it's crazy how far it's come to the point where I can check video playback without any issue.

Holy smokes, I may do that now as I can't do video playback. I'll check it out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just hope you don't get the infamous "your account has been closed for commercial use" when you've not used the account for commercial.

I moved to Jump a few years ago because of this and it does everything just as well as TV luckily, it's crazy how far it's come to the point where I can check video playback without any issue.

Did you get the audio working from the Mac to Windows? I installed the BlackHole thing in Midi devices and followed the directions to a T and nothing is coming through. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw the thing about it but I run my Windows machine on mute anyway so I never bothered trying it!

Ah, you mentioned video so assumed the audio came with it! I'll play around but really not an important part of the use case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, I just picked up the gigantic Samsung 49" ultrawide and looking for recommendations for software to manage different zones throughout the desktop. I'd prefer to be able to quickly snap apps into zones that I can define by both the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. What are the top picks to be considering for this function?

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Hey - my favorite is bettersnaptools.

On another note; what mac are you using this monitor with & what framerate can your mac push it to at native res? I was thinking about picking this up.

Oh I already had BST for doing the drag to the side and have it mimic Windows, didn't realize it had the snap area function too. Awesome! Just set it up and giving it a go.

This monitor is excellent and in my opinion is the best ultrawide to get do to the curve radius. I fear that anything 'more flat' would be infuriating. It's rocking 5120x1440 and 120hz. Unfortunately it does not seem that Mac supports it going to 240, but will do it on Windows.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lawen posted:

For moving windows around, I recently switched to Rectangle (https://rectangleapp.com) and it seems pretty great. I’d been using Divvy for most of a decade but it hasn’t been updated in 2 years or compiled for M1 so it was time to switch. Rectangle is free and open source and actively maintained and supports ARM. It does edge snapping and has customizable keyboard shortcuts for a ton of window positions (halves, thirds, quarters, sixths). I do wish that it had a way to not make the shortcuts global though; I’d rather hit one key combination to invoke it and then a local keybind for window size/position (so instead of left half being cmd+opt+left and right half being cmd+opt+right, I’d rather press cmd+opt+space to go into “rectangles mode” then just left or right to choose the half).

I also have the G49 and 120Hz has been my experience too, plugged into a 2019 iMac.

May have to check that one out, the BetterSnapTool is working alright. Seems like you have to drag it into a VERY specific, but not obvious spot, to snap. Kind of frustrating unless I'm missing something.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Or maybe OP is at wits end trying to keep a 5yo on a laptop all day, on top of having to work all night rather than sleep?

^^^

The virtual medium is horrific for the learning of small children. I wish OP the best of luck and am sending good thoughts.

Terrible times indeed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Switching over to Safari from Edge and so far the only real thing I miss are the deep library of extensions out there for Chromium. Are there any tried and true extensions y'all use for Safari? Are all of the good ones paid? Not used to paying for these, but not surprised for the official Apple browser. Just need to make sure that the ones that I pay for are worth it.

What I'm missing the most right now:
- SALR
- Enhancer for Youtube
- HoverZoom
- Session Buddy
- Stylish (mainly to redecorate SA)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Safari has an odd bug where there is massive keyboard lag when you try and type out a post on SA - SA is the only site where this happens. But I’ve been using the iOS forums app on my Mac and I prefer it to the web browser.

That's really weird, I haven't had that happen at all. Typing out right now without it. What other circumstances does this bug show up?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

There are absolutely no other circumstances. It only happens when typing a post on Something awful (and apparently only when you have an AS Mac). It doesn’t happen when using the iPad app on MacOS.

Very weird. Nothing like that on my M1 Max MBP

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Are you using an ARM MacBook? I had a 2017 Intel MacBook before this one and the input lag didn't happen.

Problem predates the new buttons and quite literally happens nowhere else on the internet but these dead gay forums in Safari. Pretty impressive.

M1 Max MBP

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a way/app for macOS to remember my window layout? I have three monitors, one of which is an ultrawide. Whenever I switch my UW from one source to dual source (75% my Mac, 25% my work PC) it forgets everything and I have to changing the scaling on Monitor #3, rearrange everything so the cursor flows properly, and reset the monitor in front of me to be my main. Just frustrating and it’d be great if there was an app that remembered these profiles.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

thetzar posted:

I don’t have an answer for you, but this is an interesting problem. MacOS has gotten pretty good at remembering windows for me, moving between screens. But I’m guessing what’s confusing it is that from its perspective, this isn’t a changed monitor, it’s one monitor ID that mysteriously alters its resolution. I remember there being apps that solved monitor-swapping window problems back when macOS was way worse at it, don’t know where they are now.

Yeah, I’m not too worried about it all being automatic and detecting it perfectly on the fly. If it could replicate an app that I had on Windows (Ultramon) then I could just pick whatever profile and it’d auto-arrange, set resolutions, etc. when I picked. That’d be sufficient. I’ll dig myself to see if anything like that exists.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Outstanding, looks like it'll fit the bill. Will check it out, thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've been having a weird issue with using Excel on Mac and finally irritated enough to ask about it.

I have a large spreadsheet with many rows that I filter often. When I select a filter often times I'm greeted with a white screen because all of the remaining data moves to be top. No biggie, on Windows I can just easily scroll or ctrl up to get to the last record and Bobs your uncle.

For some reason on my Mac excel I have to do this little ritual. I have to clock in and move the active cell up or down and then scroll wheel once (vice versa works also) to activate the sheet to scroll up to the data or enable ctrl up. Otherwise the screen stays locked on the cells visible immediately after I filtered.

Has anyone else encountered this or better yet found a solution? I've googled but cannot seem to find the right words to bring this issue up.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It would save me so much frustration if it were to act as fluid as it's windows counterpart. (I also use this sheet on a windows machine and it behaves as it should, not as the Mac version does)

Thanks in advance!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Are you up to date on both macOS and excel?

Yes to both, just verified.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m not really sure what would cause this, but unless you have complicated settings, as a first step I’d nuke excel (delete the app and go into the user library and Macintosh HD/library and delete anything related to excel in application support. Then reinstall.

No complicated settings, pretty much a stock M1 Max so shouldn't be anything weird. I'll knock out Excel and see where it goes. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hopefully this is an easy fix, but I just completed a Google Takeout for all of my photos and the result is 74 zip files of 5gb each. When unzipped I'm left with 74 folders with names such as:

Takeout
Takeout 2
Takeout 3

Inside each of those is a Google Photos Subdirectory and then Directories of albums/etc. Issue is that in each there are subfolders of the same name, such as "Photos from 2009" that exist in multiple of the zips.

Is there a good and reliable way to merge all of these folders, and subfolders, into one single Folder?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BobHoward posted:

1. Are you confident that all the photos are not duplicates, either in name or in contents?
2. Are you comfortable using Terminal?

If the answer to both is "yes" you could try this Terminal one-liner:

find sourcedir -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -J % mv -i % destdir/

This should move all files (not the enclosing folders) found in "sourcedir" to "destdir". Because we're giving the 'mv' (move) command the "-i" switch, it won't move files from the "sourcedir" hierarchy when a file of the same name already exists in "destdir".

I have a much more complex Perl script for identifying and optionally deleting duplicate files. It looks at file contents rather than names, so it's very good for curating a huge collection of photos where duplicates have accumulated (I needed it because that happened to me a lot when exporting from cameras, in the past). Let me know if you're interested, I can put it up on pastebin or something.

I am confident that there are not any meaningful duplicates, at least not structurally. Could just be multiples of photos from prior photo management attempts, nothing worth taking into consideration though. There WILL be duplicates in subdirectory names though, if that's something I need to consider.

I am comfortable with terminal, just not wholly originating commands like the above. I'll give that a go. I am planning to backup all of the individual directories to my homelab prior to running the command, so it's not an all or nothing thing. Will give this a go!

Appreciate all the input on this.

E: Ooooh, I just realized that I do not have assurance that Google did not repeat file names... so perhaps a pastebin of the perl script would be helpful to account for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BobHoward posted:

https://pastebin.com/c0cV0dkX

The idea behind this script is to first go through all the files calculating a MD5 hash of the first 32KB. This allows it to generate a candidate list of possible dupes very quickly, then in a second pass, it does full byte-by-byte comparisons of any files whose hashes match.

It won't delete anything unless you pass it one of the deletion switches on the command line. I recommend starting out by passing it no switches and just pointing it at the top level directory you want to examine. When you do tell it to delete things, it does not ask for confirmation and the files it deletes are sent straight to hell, not the trashcan.

I wasn't the original author, this is a significant rewrite of someone else's script. My goal was to make it faster when processing huge numbers of files - that's why my version does the two-pass thing, because reading just the first 32KB of each file in pass 1 is lots faster than the whole file. This was probably more important back when I did it, because at the time, SSDs weren't really a thing. Along the way I also added some features to detect truncated and similar files, which are features you probably won't care about. (They're also not perfect because I didn't need them to be.) In case you might find the original more useful for your needs, here it is:

https://hayne.net/MacDev/Perl/findDupeFiles

How does it handle the dupes once it finds them? Does it rename them to something unique? I couldn't care less about the file names themselves.

Having never run a perl script before, is it as simple as just running a command in terminal if it's already set up by default in macOS or are there preceding steps I need to look into?

Thank you for this.