Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1008 »
Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bob Morales posted:

It's a $500 option a $25,000 car

So the answer is for Apple to charge more for Target Display Mode. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mark Larson posted:

So the answer is for Apple to charge more for Target Display Mode. Got it.

It would be a good start if the justification for taking away the niceties is going to be that it hurts Appleís bottom line. At this point if Iím going to pay for the dongles anyways, Iíd rather just pay a few hundred extra up front for ports, the MagSafe, the SD cart slot, target display mode, headphone jacks, escape keys, etc.

I didnít come to Apple because I was broke, I came because I could pay a premium for niceties like build quality, respecting my privacy/not installing OEM shitware, etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MrBond posted:

Did you buy the undercoating too?
Hey man if you live in the rust belt itís a must

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

THEY ARE FIXING THE KEYBOARDS

https://www.apple.com/support/keybo...nd-macbook-pro/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Retroactive? Refunds?

edit: Oh, yes, at the bottom. Well! That's good news for a lot of people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

Symptoms:
Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
Letters or characters do not appear
Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

Eligible Models:
MacBook (Retina, 12-≠inch, Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12≠-inch, Early 2016)
MacBook (Retina, 12-≠inch, 2017)
MacBook Pro (13≠-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-≠inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-≠inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-≠inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-≠inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (15-≠inch, 2017)

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards, free of charge. The type of service will be determined after the keyboard is examined and may involve the replacement of one or more keys or the whole keyboard.
Note: If your MacBook or MacBook Pro has any damage which impairs the service, that issue will need to be repaired first. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.
The program covers eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

After having mine repaired a week or so ago, I have no complaints about the keys anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

After having mine repaired a week or so ago, I have no complaints about the keys anymore.

Does it feel different typing on it?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

Give it a year or six months and it will break again. They aren't replacing the keys with a different mechanism, same broken poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

Mu Zeta posted:

Does it feel different typing on it?
Besides the same 3 keys not sticking anymore, not really no.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My 2016 keyboard stopped having a sticky key issue since I cleaned it a year ago. I don't know if you have to have an existing dead/sticky key or you can just go in and ask for the 2017 replacement.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Id be real surprised if they let you upgrade to a 2017 model.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

redeyes posted:

Id be real surprised if they let you upgrade to a 2017 model.
They replace the 2016 top case with a 2017ís.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

They replace the 2016 top case with a 2017ís.

Source?!

The Milkman
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lipstick Apathy

Besides the same 3 keys not sticking anymore, not really no.

Did you have a 2017 to begin with?

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Source?!

Same here, had mine done in January. They donít seem to distribute the 2016 tops anymore.

The keyboard is quieter and a little softer-feeling when typing. I didnít have reliability issues with the 2016 and still donít so I canít comment on that. I regularly wipe down and give my absurdly expensive laptop a squirt with canned air though, so I may be an atypical user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Muldoon

redeyes posted:

Source?!
Me, Iím the source.

The Milkman posted:

Did you have a 2017 to begin with?
A few months ago I first noticed a 2016 come back with a 2017 top case:

It appears that Apple is updating the keyboards on 2016 MacBook Pros that go out for repair. My buddy sent his out for a logic board and top case replacement and it came back with an updated key design. Iíve never heard of this happening.

Old:

New:

And then 2 weeks ago I sent mine out:

Paper deadlines deferred this until today, but my 2016 went out for a new top case today. Fingers crossed it comes back with a 2017 top case.

The manager there admitted that she thinks thereís a repair program coming, for whatever thatís worth.

Got it back with a 2017 top case.

Hopefull this works a little better.

tuyop posted:

The keyboard is quieter and a little softer-feeling when typing.
I maybe agree with this. Itís hard to say. Iíve been using it mostly with a keyboard and mouse the last couple of weeks so I havenít had to use the built-in keyboard nearly as much.

tuyop posted:

I regularly wipe down and give my absurdly expensive laptop a squirt with canned air though, so I may be an atypical user.
This made no difference for me. The same 3 keys always had issues with sticking or double registering.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 11:58

«1008 »