Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1229 »
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

"I'll take it right away for 50 quid but as a gesture of sincerity can you take a photo with the BBC News page for today loaded on this computer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible.

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

he doesn't want a 5 year old laptop, fwiw.

right now it's looking like the pro is the best bet? it seems dumb to buy him a pro for office tasks, but the thermal issues on the air really are concerning in terms of the longevity of the thing.

Why are you concerned about the thermals on the Air when he'll be using it for its intended use case?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

right now it's looking like the pro is the best bet? it seems dumb to buy him a pro for office tasks, but the thermal issues on the air really are concerning in terms of the longevity of the thing.

Homeslice is using it for work, he’s as “Pro” as anybody. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If it’s really gonna last 8 years is $600 worth splitting hairs over?

30 years ago he would’ve spent $6k and used it for like 3 years tops.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

i'm not worried about the thermals today, i'm worried about them in 7 years when the use case stresses a 2020 air a lot more than a 2020 13" pro.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

half the components here (esp screen and case) are worth 50 pounds alone

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i'm not worried about the thermals today, i'm worried about them in 7 years when the use case stresses a 2020 air a lot more than a 2020 13" pro.

Just get him the 2-port Pro and call it a day?

It should be fine for what he wants to do, maybe crank it up to 16 GB.

Who knows what the RAM requirements for the macOS of the future will be..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The iGPU in the Ice Lake part is something like 2x faster

Look Intel 10nm isn't what anyone wants it to be, but buying an 8th gen part in a new machine you want to last is dumb.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

It should be fine for what he wants to do, maybe crank it up to 16 GB.

Who knows what the RAM requirements for the macOS of the future will be..

Sure. But also can you think of anything more “ooooo the future” to an old dad than being able to charge your laptop from any port on either side?

Like if he’s anything like my dad he’d spend a whole afternoon just plugging it in and chuckling to himself ”.....brilliant! Just brilliant!....” lol like ok dad.

He wrote his undergrad thesis on a Macintosh and I think his four absolute favorite Apple devices in ~35 years are: iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, and AirPods

I’ve never seen somebody become fascinated and taken in by an Apple Watch quite like my dad. It took him like 2-3 years to admit that getting him an iPod was a “good gift” idea and maybe four or five years to really become attached to his smartphone, but he was evangelizing about his S2 within like a week, and bought everybody in the immediate family one by the end of the year.

And I’m pretty sure all nerd boomer dads love iPads because they let them check their work email and fantasy football scores in the way that they imagine Will Riker would while eating Ben & Jerry’s + watching Modern Family reruns and season 25 of The Voice.

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 29, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

my dad absolutely despises every second he is interacting with a screen rather than a book. thats part of the reason I want to get him something that lasts forever, in order to extend the period in which he never has to think about computers. good dad.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Why not get the base mbp? 10th gen is only a marginal performance improvement.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

just found out my 4k monitor was set to a scaled resolution rather than native. It looks identical but performs like twice as smoothly. It feels like i'm back up to 60fps and out of the low refresh rate headache zone

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
WELL ARNT I JUST MR. LA DE FUCKEN DA. oh yea and i suck cocks too

my dad absolutely despises every second he is interacting with a screen rather than a book. thats part of the reason I want to get him something that lasts forever, in order to extend the period in which he never has to think about computers. good dad.
The MBP gives him an extra screen with the Touch Bar to interact with

The mid spec MBA is probably fine, unless whatever he uses to remote runs horribly like Zoom (which might be specifically cause virtual backgrounds).

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Just get the base model macbook pro.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

Brain Issues posted:

Just get the base model macbook pro.

Do not advocate self harm.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

I'm still over here with my 2017 nTB

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

I'm still over here with my 2017 nTB

I can't tell if that's an old joke or poors joke.

I'm currently dailying my top of the line fully maxed out T9900 2009 17" with SSD. Needs a new battery and a repaste which should make it good for another 5yrs+.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Chris Knight posted:

Do not advocate self harm.

Nothing wrong with the base current 13” MBP. Problem is once you want to option it up to 16gb and 512gb like I did, you’re only like $200 from the 10th gen which has that and other benefits, and at that point I think it’s just worth doing that.

I personally contemplated that vs the 16” base and decided to go for that at Costco, because gently caress it I’m worth it and I want a big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Nothing wrong with the base current 13” MBP. Problem is once you want to option it up to 16gb and 512gb like I did, you’re only like $200 from the 10th gen which has that and other benefits, and at that point I think it’s just worth doing that.

I personally contemplated that vs the 16” base and decided to go for that at Costco, because gently caress it I’m worth it and I want a big screen.

This right here, although it sounds like going to 16” is overkill for your dad. But once you start adding RAM and storage to the base 13” you may as well drop another $200 on the nicer model. The speakers are much, much better too.

«1229 »