Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

While it’s a more expensive option (although not really when compared to the magic keyboards :v:) a lot of mechanical keyboards have switches on them that’ll change them to send the keystrokes for option/command instead of windows/alt.

You can theoretically do that yourself using the key remapping in macOS of course but with the switches set right my KUL ES-87 behaves like an actual Apple keyboard, complete with the function keys doing brightness/volume/mission control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

Maybe ten years ago, but uh, really, what do you need windows for?*

* not counting games, duh

Maybe Dragon dictation? Since they Discontinued the apple version (which was never great) and voice control isn't as strong in apple yet (it wouldn't take much to make it much, much better). I say that as someone who dictates whole novels with dictation (and it's my job). If I want to game, I have a PS4 (and soon to be PS5) and a switch. and I have a 2015 iMac that I'll upgrade to the 27 iMac on Apple silicon as soon as that comes out and if voice control just gets a little better.

(my non apple apps are Scrivener, Highland 2, Vellum, and infinity photo, and all the Developers said they're jumping in on Arm first thing).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher posted:

Maybe Dragon dictation? Since they Discontinued the apple version (which was never great) and voice control isn't as strong in apple yet (it wouldn't take much to make it much, much better). I say that as someone who dictates whole novels with dictation (and it's my job). If I want to game, I have a PS4 (and soon to be PS5) and a switch. and I have a 2015 iMac that I'll upgrade to the 27 iMac on Apple silicon as soon as that comes out and if voice control just gets a little better.

(my non apple apps are Scrivener, Highland 2, Vellum, and infinity photo, and all the Developers said they're jumping in on Arm first thing).

I must ask—and I do not mean this at all as a slight—are you in the smut biz?

Remember the heady days of the goon smutbux goldrush? Ehehehehe...great times

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're still the lead in "cutting edge" tech - iPads are the only tablets worth having, iPhones are the pinnacle of personal tech status symbols, all windows laptops are compared to MacBooks in terms of quality (my Android phone autocaps MacBook for goodness' sake). What they haven't don't recent is find a hole in consumer computing to define, but expect anyone to do that on the reg is a fool's errand.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You mean the A-series of chips and the incoming switch to “Apple Silicon” aren’t “cutting edge”? Putting a functional electrocardiograph into a waterproof GPS Dick Tracy phone-watch and shipping it for under $500 isn’t “cutting edge”?

We’ll never truly know what Apple 2020 would look like if Jobs hadn’t died, but to say that they’re dramatically less “cutting edge” now feels like it draws as much from the Jobs personality cult as from evidence. It’s definitely true that the Mac feels a lot less interesting these days.

But aside from the assumption that Steve would’ve probably been way meaner to the keyboard team than Tim, everything you or I could come up with would get super speculative and woo-woo super quick.

But I think it’s just a lot harder to be impressed by a tech company these days in general. We’re rightly a lot more critical of corporations and their leaders, and of ‘technocracy’ and its proponents. We’re a lot more critical of tech-capitalism. Also pretty much all of Silicon Valley and Redmond have modeled their modern/post-2010 image and operating style on what Apple was doing. Compare Nadella-era Microsoft to the early Ballmer days.

Post-ultrabooks there’s a lot less water between the industrial design language of an Apple product and a Windows/Linux or Android/Chrome device. MacBook Pros felt like the premium brushed metal future in 2007 when compared to the pigs Dell was shipping at the time. That’s much less of a thing these days, but it has way less to do with Apple dropping their game IMO than it does with these other companies raising theirs.

I agree with most of this, but I more so referring to how when the iPod, iPhone, and iPad were released they were essentially revolutionary technology. I don't see say the Apple Watch doing the same. But as I said before, maybe this is due to technology maturing to the point where there's less terrain to explore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree with most of this, but I more so referring to how when the iPod, iPhone, and iPad were released they were essentially revolutionary technology. I don't see say the Apple Watch doing the same. But as I said before, maybe this is due to technology maturing to the point where there's less terrain to explore.

The iPod was an extremely well-polished, painstakingly designed, pushed-to-the-extreme (in the sense of shoving a HDD into an MP3 player when flash storage wouldn’t affordably fit thousands of songs) take on the already-existing concept of the MP3 player. The iPad is an extension on the iPhone’s technology and user experience.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 10, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apple Watch is post Jobs and an enormous, industry shifting success.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People just have rose colored glasses to all the absolute dogshit Apple tried to put out during the Jobs era too.

iPod Hi-Fi? iPod Socks? Xserve? That lovely plastic gumstick iPod Shuffle? Every single mouse they've designed?

The Macbook Air was so anemic and slow that if they didn't pull out a miracle with the 2nd gen it would have been one of their greatest failures. Instead it ended up spawning a whole new form factors of computers and changed an entire industry.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

People just have rose colored glasses to all the absolute dogshit Apple tried to put out during the Jobs era too.

iPod Hi-Fi? iPod Socks? Xserve? That lovely plastic gumstick iPod Shuffle? Every single mouse they've designed?

The Macbook Air was so anemic and slow that if they didn't pull out a miracle with the 2nd gen it would have been one of their greatest failures. Instead it ended up spawning a whole new form factors of computers and changed an entire industry.

leaking Power Macs, the finish on the TiBook, MacBook palm rests, “you’re holding it wrong”, cracking desklamp iMac mobo, G4 cube....

also- Ping, Apple cards (the greeting cards, not the credit card, although that one doesn’t seem to be doing so hot either), etc. Not to mention all the janky and crufty bits just left in OSX (hi widgets! I still miss what you could’ve been!)

Honestly, the touchbar being merely mediocre instead of outright bad or broken in some way and the butterfly keyboard fiasco are boring by comparison to the wild and crazy 2000s

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmfao I forgot about antennagate. I understand why people deitized Steve but God he sucked so bad lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

deitized Steve

Foreverial delitized Steve Jobs tied up all over his permanent Vegan Meat Substitute body and Loving It

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok Comboomer posted:

Foreverial delitized Steve Jobs tied up all over his permanent Vegan Meat Substitute body and Loving It

Beat me to this and did it better than I would have :lol:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I must ask—and I do not mean this at all as a slight—are you in the smut biz?

Remember the heady days of the goon smutbux goldrush? Ehehehehe...great times

That was how I started yes!

No slight at all. I still do romance (but have branched out into other genres) as well.

It's still a career, but it's a full time job, not something you can do for two hours a day and make $$$ easily like days of the past.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I always wonder just how big of an rear end in a top hat Steve Jobs was. I only got tidbits from Pirates of Silicon Valley and legends on Reddit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jokes posted:

Only way to game, man. Even with games released on MacOS side by side, playing it on Boot Camp meant better graphics and framerates.
I use Boot Camp for this purpose, and I understand, but I don't think a whole lot of people are buying a Mac for bideo james

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

well why not posted:

Apple Watch is post Jobs and an enormous, industry shifting success.
AirPods have done pretty well too.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always wonder just how big of an rear end in a top hat Steve Jobs was. I only got tidbits from Pirates of Silicon Valley and legends on Reddit.
I feel like it was more like wise return from the wilderness focused assholeness for the good of the product during his second stint, vs just being an all around rear end in a top hat before. Anyway just wanted to mention Folklore.org for more tidbits if you haven't heard of it before.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I interacted with him twice, but neither time was one-on-one. His questions were direct, and but not hostile. My feelings both times was that he did not suffer fools or wasting of his time, and I was glad that I had quick well-reasoned responses for his questions.

EDIT: Probably not that different from any other CEO really :shrug:

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 10, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I swear it’s been covered before, but I’ll ask anyway. Is there a decent way to use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to play games? I thought there was an OWC dongle out there, but I’m not sure what it does.

If not, any ideas how I could set up so I only have one keyboard and mouse? I do have a USB-C monitor with a few USB ports, so I think I could use input switching there if nothing else. I’ve got a Magic Mouse and Keyboard 2, but I don’t think Windows will recognize them. I might also run Linux to really complicate matters. Not opposed to switching those up either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nitsuga posted:

I swear it’s been covered before, but I’ll ask anyway. Is there a decent way to use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to play games? I thought there was an OWC dongle out there, but I’m not sure what it does.

If not, any ideas how I could set up so I only have one keyboard and mouse? I do have a USB-C monitor with a few USB ports, so I think I could use input switching there if nothing else. I’ve got a Magic Mouse and Keyboard 2, but I don’t think Windows will recognize them. I might also run Linux to really complicate matters. Not opposed to switching those up either.
Maybe https://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Steam Home Streaming is so finicky. Try GeForce NOW or Rainway.

You could use input switching on the monitor but that won't change which host the USB hub connects to. I advocate for using a TB3 dock + DisplayPort KVM for the ultimate one-cable experience with one-touch switching, but if you can suffer two steps to switch, I have heard it suggested to use input switching on the monitor along with a USB switch as a far cheaper option.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the responses. I guess there's also the assumption by the general public that the meaner you are as a leader the more discipline the employees are thus better the results will be.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pivo posted:

You could use input switching on the monitor but that won't change which host the USB hub connects to. I advocate for using a TB3 dock + DisplayPort KVM for the ultimate one-cable experience with one-touch switching, but if you can suffer two steps to switch, I have heard it suggested to use input switching on the monitor along with a USB switch as a far cheaper option.

I have the USB switch and monitor-multi-input setup now, and the biggest issue I have with it is that I don’t want the laptop to behave like there’s an attached monitor when it’s not selected. I wonder if I can get a proper KVM that will let me treat the devices as disconnected for unselected hosts, though that’s not how I want the _other_ machine to behave so maybe I’m just hosed.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the responses. I guess there's also the assumption by the general public that the meaner you are as a leader the more discipline the employees are thus better the results will be.

This assumption is also made by many executives and investors, though there doesn’t seem to be evidence to support it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Moonlight works very well on macOS. MS Remote Desktop isn't meant for games.

I couldn't stand any of the cloud streaming solutions because the extra latency makes me feel ill. Home streaming works great, though, even over WiFi.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice! That all looks great, I’ll probably start with the USB switch for now, then tinker with Moonlight once I get a proper GPU for the PC I’m getting.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I have the USB switch and monitor-multi-input setup now, and the biggest issue I have with it is that I don’t want the laptop to behave like there’s an attached monitor when it’s not selected. I wonder if I can get a proper KVM that will let me treat the devices as disconnected for unselected hosts, though that’s not how I want the _other_ machine to behave so maybe I’m just hosed.

Yeah, a KVM will do that. Windows doesn't like having monitors pulled out from under it, but with a combination of Windows Layout Manager and a custom util to handle window position & wallpaper restoration, it's pretty seamless. I use Stay to restore window positions on Mac OS as well.

RealVNC server doesn't know what to do with itself when there's no display attached on Windows, that's the only real issue I've encountered with yanking displays out from under the system that I haven't yet solved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pivo posted:

Yeah, a KVM will do that. Windows doesn't like having monitors pulled out from under it, but with a combination of Windows Layout Manager and a custom util to handle window position & wallpaper restoration, it's pretty seamless. I use Stay to restore window positions on Mac OS as well.

RealVNC server doesn't know what to do with itself when there's no display attached on Windows, that's the only real issue I've encountered with yanking displays out from under the system that I haven't yet solved.

Oh excellent, thanks. I have a second monitor on the Windows machine, though it’s portrait so Windows sometimes gets a bit confused when it’s the only one attached.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I have a 2012MBP 15" where suddenly the trackpad is registering all sorts of random inputs. It's jumping around, randomly clicking and so on. It does this even on the login/safe mode login screens, so it doesn't seem to be a rogue program or anything like that. I assume it's a hardware problem.

Is a 2012 still new enough that apple'll actually touch it? It seems to be, assuming they've kept their vintage list up to date. Is this a model where the trackpad/battery (if that's the issue) can be replaced without having to replace the entire topcase?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zenostein posted:

I have a 2012MBP 15" where suddenly the trackpad is registering all sorts of random inputs. It's jumping around, randomly clicking and so on. It does this even on the login/safe mode login screens, so it doesn't seem to be a rogue program or anything like that. I assume it's a hardware problem.

Is a 2012 still new enough that apple'll actually touch it? It seems to be, assuming they've kept their vintage list up to date. Is this a model where the trackpad/battery (if that's the issue) can be replaced without having to replace the entire topcase?

"Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV vintage products continue to receive hardware service from Apple service providers, including Apple Retail Stores, subject to availability of inventory, or as required by law."

Are you handy with a screwdriver? Maybe order a trackpad from iFixIt

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Zenostein posted:

If you live in California, yes. IIRC Vintage pretty much only applies to CA and our strong consumer protection laws here, but you would want to check the local laws for you. That model was a separate trackpad, yes.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

FCKGW posted:

I will not have the xserve's name sullied in this thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

It's not going to drive a 4k display at 4k, no. But I'm guessing most if not all 4k displays will accept a 1080p signal and upscale it and that's probably the best you're going to get.

Not sure if anyone really cares but my 2011 i5 Mac Mini will display 4k but holy poo poo its slow and only 30hz lol.

It can do 3840x2160 but again only at 30hz and its super laggy.

I'm just gonna keep it at 1080p since its a 32 inch display and really not that close to me anyway.

Now I just need to upgrade the HD to an SSD. Upgrading the ram was easy but it looks like the HD is going to be kinda a bitch to get to.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What’s the apple policy on Mac batteries that might be bulging? I’ve got an out of warranty MBP that doesn’t sit evenly on a table.

Is it “buy your own battery replacement” or is the bulging enough of a hazard to scoot by without a fee?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrBond posted:

What’s the apple policy on Mac batteries that might be bulging? I’ve got an out of warranty MBP that doesn’t sit evenly on a table.

Is it “buy your own battery replacement” or is the bulging enough of a hazard to scoot by without a fee?

Depends how old it is. Batteries give off gasses and bulge when they die, it's not necessarily a design failure.

I would say if you're within ~2 years of purchase I would go in and just ask how to fix it and see if they offer any courtesy service, otherwise you're on the hook.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if anyone really cares but my 2011 i5 Mac Mini will display 4k but holy poo poo its slow and only 30hz lol.

It can do 3840x2160 but again only at 30hz and its super laggy.

I'm just gonna keep it at 1080p since its a 32 inch display and really not that close to me anyway.

Now I just need to upgrade the HD to an SSD. Upgrading the ram was easy but it looks like the HD is going to be kinda a bitch to get to.

Thanks for the update, i was actually really curious about this once people starting chiming in that it might be possible to run 4K. I’m surprised it even attempts to lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Thanks for the update, i was actually really curious about this once people starting chiming in that it might be possible to run 4K. I’m surprised it even attempts to lol.

Yeah I mean it "works"

I'm not sure I'm going to use the machine though. I have an i3 NUC that is a just a few years newer and it does 1440p at 60 hz just fine and the fans are spinning up like crazy.

I don't think I was doing anything too taxing with the Mini at 1080p but drat the fans would spin up just watching some youtube videos.

I put 8 gigs of ram in it and was gonna switch the HDD to an SSD but I'm not sure I'll bother.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MrBond posted:

Every single time I have had a bulging battery on any of my Apple devices - 17 inch MBP twice (different ones), 15 inch MBP once, iPhone once, they have always replaced them for me for free, always out of warranty. Basically I always said, "hey I know the battery bulging is a huge safety hazard so I don't really feel safe with this at home / in my pocket". Never ever did I mention that I wanted them to do it for free. I figured if they bust out an invoice, whatever I'll pay, just don't bring it up.

Now, I have told three different friends about this, and they were similarly out of warranty, and all three were told to pay up.

Tinfoil would have me think that looking up my Apple ID would show I use a lot of Apple hardware & services and they prioritize goodwill gestures for those customers, but realistically it's probably who you get, how they size you up, and how they're feeling.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pivo posted:

Every single time I have had a bulging battery on any of my Apple devices - 17 inch MBP twice (different ones), 15 inch MBP once, iPhone once, they have always replaced them for me for free, always out of warranty. Basically I always said, "hey I know the battery bulging is a huge safety hazard so I don't really feel safe with this at home / in my pocket". Never ever did I mention that I wanted them to do it for free. I figured if they bust out an invoice, whatever I'll pay, just don't bring it up.

Now, I have told three different friends about this, and they were similarly out of warranty, and all three were told to pay up.

Tinfoil would have me think that looking up my Apple ID would show I use a lot of Apple hardware & services and they prioritize goodwill gestures for those customers, but realistically it's probably who you get, how they size you up, and how they're feeling.

That's definitely not what it is, you used to be able to see prior repairs on a device itself and that's it.

The standard used to be if an expanded battery caused damage to the top case or some other, any damaged components would be covered, but the battery replacement would still be due. The exception being if the battery failed, not wore out, within warranty or was covered by any sort of REP.

Also in general the genius bar will go out of its way to cover a repair if possible. However things started clamping down a lot when one-time-exceptions started becoming regular practice and more like every time exceptions. Timing and location matter, but I would not expect covered battery replacement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrBond posted:

I had to pay for my 2015 to get fixed when it started bulging

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Zenostein posted:

I have a 2012MBP 15" where suddenly the trackpad is registering all sorts of random inputs.

This could be an early sign of battery swelling. I’d check that before ordering a new trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Hm so kind of a crap shoot? In my case the computer itself is fine, I don't actually see or experience any problems like phantom clicks. The main thing causing me to be suspicious is that on a flat table, it's a little wobbly instead of stable.

It's a 2014 13" MBP so way outside of warranty, but I did buy AC for it so maybe that's a tip in my favor of a freebie?

My only worry would be my plan B is to recycle it with apple for the gift card $ so if it's permanently marked as having a bulging battery that I didn't fix maybe that'd hurt the trade in value?