Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm shocked but I don't hate the touch bar on my new M1 Macbook Pro. It's actually kind of neat for what I'm using the laptop for in Visual Studio Code and I'm already using an app to customize it. On a proper keyboard I prefer F keys but the Macbooks have such low travel that I find muscle memory hard to build on that row anyway so I don't really mind glancing down once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm shocked but I don't hate the touch bar on my new M1 Macbook Pro. It's actually kind of neat for what I'm using the laptop for in Visual Studio Code and I'm already using an app to customize it. On a proper keyboard I prefer F keys but the Macbooks have such low travel that I find muscle memory hard to build on that row anyway so I don't really mind glancing down once in awhile.

Yeah, I really like the touch controls for debugging. Especially as a mobile developer since I often have a phone in one hand and can just hit the touch control in the other hand.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

eh, probably fine for the school computer labs that still need matching grey imacs, which I imagine are the only places that would care about this

That's probably Richie Rich private schools, not the vast majority of regular schools that have budgets that make securing jars of mucilage and paste difficult let alone $5000 iMacs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

That's probably Richie Rich private schools, not the vast majority of regular schools that have budgets that make securing jars of mucilage and paste difficult let alone $5000 iMacs

I meant like universities

Altho I'm sure there's a bunch of private K-12 schools in places like Saudi Arabia and the Upper East Side that are kitted with these.

Or even just a public high school in a moderately high-income area with a video production class might have like 2-3 of them. Still way cheaper than the equipment for stuff like a HS production class/news program used to cost

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Is there a consensus about the SSD write issues? I'm looking at getting an M1 air but I'm afraid to pull the trigger with people saying the SSDs may start having issues in a pretty short time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would honestly wait. I love the m1 mini but there's definitely things it does slower than the 2020 intel mac I have. It's not unusual to see beach balls and freezes on it imho. It does other things faster which is nice, but I do feel like it'll take the next one to be tremendous.

Premiere takes about twenty seconds at times to skip to a new part of a file. But premiere is not m1 optimized so.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Is there a consensus about the SSD write issues? I'm looking at getting an M1 air but I'm afraid to pull the trigger with people saying the SSDs may start having issues in a pretty short time.

It’s a first gen Apple Product, with all that entails.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The SSD write stuff sounds like a software issue to me if it's actually happening.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

The SSD write stuff sounds like a software issue to me if it's actually happening.

Tens of Mac experts on Macrumors AND reddit are posting it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
My my writes are a lot higher than expected but I'm not worried, i know apple will fix it or have replacement program in a few years, also work payed for this laptop.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My consensus of me is that it's mostly people who run workloads which cause a base model 8GB RAM M1 computer to swap all the time, then wonder why the SSD's life is melting away.

Something to be mindful of is that if this is a bug, it should affect Intel Macs too. It isn't the M1 chip which decides when and how much to write to disk, it's the macOS kernel and all the userland software running under that kernel. Nearly all of that software is written in a high level language, cross-compiled for both ARM and x86 to make a universal binary.

Lots of people seem to have lost sight of the basic fact that it's still just a computer, or don't have the comp sci background to understand and thus conflate things which shouldn't be conflated.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm not terribly concerned about it and I have a pretty high swap usage. I think I used something like two or three percent over 3 months. If it ends up being about a percent a month I will get 100 months out of the computer which will be more than I expect to use the computer for anyway.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BobHoward posted:

My consensus of me is that it's mostly people who run workloads which cause a base model 8GB RAM M1 computer to swap all the time, then wonder why the SSD's life is melting away.

Except people with 16gb are reporting the issue and they also describe light work loads.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
would lol if the people with high ssd writes are doing dumb things like using chrome or constantly running disk speed benchmarks to show off their superior M1 macs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Ziploc posted:

Except people with 16gb are reporting the issue and they also describe light work loads.

More consensus of me: I have had a 16GB/1TB M1 Air for about 3.5 months and do not have this problem. Just cracked 4TBW, still sitting under 1% lifespan used.

Also, many people think Chrome or Firefox with a bunch of tabs is a light workload. In terms of CPU, maybe, but memory, nope.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Some Intel folks are also reporting high TBW, the main link in all of the reports is Big Sur.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there literally anything to this SSD thing other than numbers in a tool? Like has anyone reported any actual problems?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Whatever happened to the battery health issue where people were hitting 80% in like a year after only 200 charges?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smackfu posted:

Is there literally anything to this SSD thing other than numbers in a tool? Like has anyone reported any actual problems?

not yet afaict. i don’t know if the use metric is just being based on data assumed to be written or if it’s something internal to the drive that it actually exposes to the software. at least one goon has mentioned that one of their old macs had the wrong units being reported in the smart data so everything was off by three orders of magnitude (not saying that’s happening here but it would be funny).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

smackfu posted:

New generation of Macwhiners... Buy something and then just nitpick it.

Actual problems people report:

"My SSD is 100mbs slower than my friends Mac"
"My battery is at 91% health"
"16" screen gives me a headache"
"My screen is blurry when I move anything"
"Why can't this screen run 120hz"
"How do I limit charging to <some arbitrary number>"
"Why does my mac turn on when I open the lid or press any key"
"What do you mean I can't run 5 monitors"
"I'm only getting 6 hours of zoom meetings and slack chats on battery"
"Why is my CPU usage at 50% when I have 50 monitoring apps and background poo poo running"
"I rubbed off the dirty/grease from my screen with my t-shirt and spray cleaner, and scuffed the coating, it's defective!"
"This $15 usb-c dock from eBay doesn't work right, must be apple's fault"
"Trackpad doesn't work with my sweaty hands"
"Anyone else's T key quit working?"
"I can hear my fans"
"I reset my SMC and it still won't take my password"
"It's too hard to type with the keyboard protector on"
"Why can't I downgrade my 2019 MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard?"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bob Morales posted:

"What do you mean I can't run 5 2 monitors"

I agree with the spirit of your post, but I think the quoted complaints are pretty valid complaints about MacBooks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here’s my write data from this Mac mini and owning it for 2 months…I have a 256 gig ssd on board and 16 gigs ram and don’t do anything crazy except maybe Premiere

code:
 SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        29 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          99%
Percentage Used:                    0%
Data Units Read:                    4,541,351 [2.32 TB]
Data Units Written:                 2,242,409 [1.14 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 83,715,829
Host Write Commands:                41,791,364
Controller Busy Time:               0
Power Cycles:                       78
Power On Hours:                     53
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   12
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      0

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have a 16GB/512GB MBP, my writes are pretty high but I use docker, also one time i had a memory leak overnight and I wonder how that single event used, and I've reinstalled a few times and edited some 4k footage that filled my disk.

Still percentage used is 0%, assuming I use 1% life every 3 months its going to last almost 25 years.

code:
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        35 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          99%
Percentage Used:                    0%
Data Units Read:                    32,658,281 [16.7 TB]
Data Units Written:                 27,201,325 [13.9 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 387,967,951
Host Write Commands:                296,569,563
Controller Busy Time:               0
Power Cycles:                       156
Power On Hours:                     257
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   29
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      0

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bob Morales posted:

"Why is my CPU usage at 50% when I have 50 monitoring apps and background poo poo running"
"I rubbed off the dirty/grease from my screen with my t-shirt and spray cleaner, and scuffed the coating, it's defective!"
"I can hear my fans"

remember the guy in the iphone thread who returned a phone like five times because there was a slight yellow tint to the screen

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

"I can hear my fans"

cop lover covid truther butterfly keyboard defender spotted

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone else have MacBook Pro 13" 2019 space gray and can report on any lags

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Sorta regret buying a macbook air, i find my ipad handier to use for almost all tasks I'd use it for so it sits unused. Nice piece of hardware though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kind of thinking about buying an M1 mac mini to replace a mid 2012 retina laptop that I only use as a desktop for Logic and as my main computer. Anything on the mini I should expect to be worse, other than obviously not portable? Is it worth waiting for newer stuff to come out? I'm more worried about the laptop eventually dying than anything else, I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gorgar posted:

Kind of thinking about buying an M1 mac mini to replace a mid 2012 retina laptop that I only use as a desktop for Logic and as my main computer. Anything on the mini I should expect to be worse, other than obviously not portable? Is it worth waiting for newer stuff to come out? I'm more worried about the laptop eventually dying than anything else, I guess.

stuff not updated for the m1 might be slightly buggy but i have to imagine literally everything that matters for you will be faster (i also use that laptop btw)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gorgar posted:

Can you wait for the new one to presumably released in the fall?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

New mac mini or new laptop? I don't really need a laptop, but it was the fastest reasonable thing available at the time. It just lives behind a monitor. But I don't really have a sense for if the M1 mini is going to be considered good in a year or if it's something they compromised on to rush it to market, and much better poo poo is around the corner.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Gorgar posted:

New mac mini or new laptop? I don't really need a laptop, but it was the fastest reasonable thing available at the time. It just lives behind a monitor. But I don't really have a sense for if the M1 mini is going to be considered good in a year or if it's something they compromised on to rush it to market, and much better poo poo is around the corner.

The M1 is great for what it is, which is the entry level Mac chip. It's way faster than the outgoing Intel chips it replaces, and uses far less power too. As long as you get at least as much RAM in the mini as you have in your 2012 rMBP, you won't be disappointed. (if you want your M1 to have its best chance to still be usable circa 2030, definitely go for 16GB RAM)

That said, Apple still sells Intel minis, and it's for a simple reason: M1 only covers configs up to 16GB RAM, and supports driving at most 2 displays. It's a dead easy prediction that Apple will be launching midrange Apple Silicon chips sometime within the next calendar year, and at that time they'll probably be ready to complete transitioning the whole Mini line.

So, if you think you might need higher specs (performance or ports or both) than the current M1 Mini, it's best to wait a little. Otherwise it's fine to buy M1.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is the m1 air faster than my 2015 mbp 15 with the 2.5ghz i7? I have a big 15 inch work laptop now and I maybe want to downsize my personal laptop (the 2015 mbp) to something I can pack with my work laptop on trips

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

ethanol posted:

is the m1 air faster than my 2015 mbp 15 with the 2.5ghz i7? I have a big 15 inch work laptop now and I maybe want to downsize my personal laptop (the 2015 mbp) to something I can pack with my work laptop on trips

yes, significantly so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ethanol posted:

Everything is faster than that FWIW

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

Whatever happened to the battery health issue where people were hitting 80% in like a year after only 200 charges?

This thing is hosed and I'm trying to get my IT team to just get me a M1 but lol. Pathetic for a 2500 dollar machine

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you also have to install Xcode after every fukkin software update

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you also have to install Xcode after every fukkin software update

I uninstalled it, I've never used it as I'm not an iOS/macos developer. This causes problems for installing some packages via brew but it's pretty rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, every point release requires a new xcode because they add ios features in point releases, you'd think it could do delta updates by now.