Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mercurius posted:

I'm not sure what type of mouse you're using but if you've got something from Logitech you can install Logi Options and it'll change the mouse acceleration to something more like Windows.

SmoothMouse also used to work well but they haven't updated it since 10.11 so I doubt it works well (if at all) on any of the newer versions of Mac OS. I think the only other real option left is SteerMouse but it's a paid product.

I'm using the Magic Mouse that came with it, but I'm also not a fan of it, as luxurious as it feels, and might get a Logitech mouse anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
12 weeks in with the 16" M1 16gb 1tb and I think the fan must be broken since it never turns on using it all day compared to my 13" 2017 i5 16gb 512gb. :newlol:

Really loving the extra space but would sacrifice some battery life for lighter weight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Keyser_Soze posted:

12 weeks in with the 16" M1 16gb 1tb and I think the fan must be broken since it never turns on using it all day compared to my 13" 2017 i5 16gb 512gb. :newlol:

Really loving the extra space but would sacrifice some battery life for lighter weight.

i guess it doesn’t matter now but would you seriously consider a 14-inch mode, then? seems like it’s what you want though i 100% get the draw of the big screens on the go

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

spatula posted:

I am trading in my 2013 MBP for $240 which isn’t much, but I accept that for the convenience of just sticking it in a box and sending it off. Thanks Apple for making that way too easy.

Apparently they'll give me $70 for my dead dGPU 2011 MBP, just need to disable the dGPU so the graphics don't go crazy on boot. Probably not much less than I could get selling it for parts on ebay.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

I’m going to spring for 32gb just to be safe when I buy next month, worried about that swap killing the SSD too quickly

Swap isn't going to kill your SSD, it's actually difficult to kill a modern SSD, especially a nice Apple one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i guess it doesn’t matter now but would you seriously consider a 14-inch mode, then? seems like it’s what you want though i 100% get the draw of the big screens on the go

I definitely pondered the 14" but just went for the 16".................it's a personal computer so not really commuting with it, and I still have the 13" MBA and an 11" iPad air for travel.

If they made a lightweight 15" that would be ideal, tbh.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm using the Magic Mouse that came with it, but I'm also not a fan of it, as luxurious as it feels, and might get a Logitech mouse anyway.

apple has never made a good mouse, throw that thing in the nearest bin as quick as you can

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

apple has never made a good mouse, throw that thing in the nearest bin as quick as you can

never

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chaosbreather posted:

They made at least two.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bob Morales posted:

They made at least two.

Yeah. But you can see the puck lurking to the right, and I’m still angry about that. I remember actual clip-on plastic extenders marketed and sold to make those suck less.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So the one-button mouse wasn't even new?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What are you some kinda fancy pants who uses two buttons? What is this, Windows?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

*slowly scrolls through a clarisworks document by repeatedly clicking the down arrow on the scrollbar*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah. But you can see the puck lurking to the right, and I’m still angry about that. I remember actual clip-on plastic extenders marketed and sold to make those suck less.
I had the puck mouse with the plastic clip-on, and it was comfortable as all hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I doubt even Ive could have sold reducing a longstanding 2-button mouse to one.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bob Morales posted:

They made at least two.

Did you mean to attach an image of them there, because all i see is Angles McCrampFace, from when they thought that having a sharp angle right in the middle of the mouse would be ergonomic perfection that could only be surpassed by limiting the click surface to a tiny postage stamp thus allowing users to translate the neck pain they felt trying to look into their tiny computer's screens into their fingers. And then the one that Logitech made for them in a fit of pity, that was still somehow pretty miserable and unreliable.

And there's the fuckpuck, the unorientable hand cramp itself, truly the worst thing Apple has ever made.

It's a curse, really. It's said Steve hit a witches' pet mouse in his car after a particularly gruelling one, and the witch cursed him and his progeny to always be the enemy of all mice. And here we are, decades later, and there are two different System Preference panes for controlling trackpads and mice, each with their own differently phrased checkbox for controlling scroll direction, but they still work the same preference meaning they must always be linked. Cursed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jokes posted:

So the one-button mouse wasn't even new?

Nope all first party Apple mice going back to the Lisa only have one physical button

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

Nope all first party Apple mice going back to the Lisa only have one physical button

does the Mighty Mouse have multiple internal switches, or is it one switch+touch sensitivity trickery to trigger the four ‘buttons’?

also I’m just gonna say that I’ve always been kind of fond of/nostalgic for Mighty Mouse

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

does the Mighty Mouse have multiple internal switches, or is it one switch+touch sensitivity trickery to trigger the four ‘buttons’?

also I’m just gonna say that I’ve always been kind of fond of/nostalgic for Mighty Mouse

According to ifixit there are four switches internally so I am arguably incorrect

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

According to ifixit there are four switches internally so I am arguably incorrect

yeah, there’s one switch for the scroll ball button, one force sensor for the side squeeze trigger things, and IIRC you can feel the two mouse button switches by pressing one and then rolling the cover around to click the second

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So my issue was literally just the Magic Mouse. I connected a basic Logitech mouse and it feels more or less the same as a Windows mouse, AKA what I'm used to. Now I just need a way to turn off the acceleration curve for the scroll wheel.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Now I just need a way to turn off the acceleration curve for the scroll wheel.

https://mos.caldis.me/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

chaosbreather posted:

Did you mean to attach an image of them there, because all i see is Angles McCrampFace, from when they thought that having a sharp angle right in the middle of the mouse would be ergonomic perfection that could only be surpassed by limiting the click surface to a tiny postage stamp thus allowing users to translate the neck pain they felt trying to look into their tiny computer's screens into their fingers. And then the one that Logitech made for them in a fit of pity, that was still somehow pretty miserable and unreliable.

And there's the fuckpuck, the unorientable hand cramp itself, truly the worst thing Apple has ever made.

It's a curse, really. It's said Steve hit a witches' pet mouse in his car after a particularly gruelling one, and the witch cursed him and his progeny to always be the enemy of all mice. And here we are, decades later, and there are two different System Preference panes for controlling trackpads and mice, each with their own differently phrased checkbox for controlling scroll direction, but they still work the same preference meaning they must always be linked. Cursed.

Point of order, that tiny postage-stamp button was a pretty big ergonomic leap forward compared to previous mice, like the Lisa

Or all the contemporary non-Apple ones where the buttons were just tiny little nubs like on a remote control.

That postage stamp was huge for its day. Making the entire top surface a button was some pretty :350: poo poo for 1991 or whenever it was the rounded one dropped

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Data Graham posted:

Point of order, that tiny postage-stamp button was a pretty big ergonomic leap forward compared to previous mice, like the Lisa

Point away, it only demonstrates how truly hopeless Apple has always been at making mice and they have yet to make a single one that can’t be described as a health hazard. While yes there have been worse mice than Apple mice there has never been an acceptable Apple mouse and so it remains by far their single worst product category. At this point I can only assume it’s tradition

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Their trackpads are the greatest ever so

If I need a mouse I whip out my Logitech whatever bluetooth

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There is one Apple mouse that feels good in your hands. But since it doesn't have a wheel or a second button, it's functionally obsolete. But even when it was contemporary twenty-ish years ago I always used a Microsoft or Logitech mouse with four or more buttons.

As far as dome keyboards go the matching black Pro Keyboard is really good, but the replacements (the white keyboards) never felt as good and looked uglier too.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 11, 2022

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

kefkafloyd posted:

There is one Apple mouse that feels good in your hands. But since it doesn't have a wheel or a second button, it's functionally obsolete. But even when it was contemporary twenty-ish years ago I always used a Microsoft or Logitech mouse with four or more buttons.

The tracking on these pieces of encased poo poo are also unbelievably terrible. I had to edit a short film on one of these fuckers and holy gently caress. They sure look cool though provided you don’t touch them, once again demonstrating how Apple’s mouse team doesn’t seem to know what mice or even hands do or are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "alien egg attached to the Mother Brain's lair ceiling" aesthetic Jobs latched on to around 1999 was wild as hell

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There were no good mice on this earth until kärna LLC blessed us with the Boomslang.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

As far as dome keyboards go the matching black Pro Keyboard is really good, but the replacements (the white keyboards) never felt as good and looked uglier too.

You forgot about the majestic nipple on the Mighty Mouse

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

FCKGW posted:

You forgot about the majestic nipple on the Mighty Mouse

I didn’t forget about it, I just didn’t like it as much as the black Pro mouse, because the nipple is a bad alternative to a wheel, its right click behavior is stupid, and I didn’t care for “squeeze this area to do something." I gave it a legit shot when I got a work iMac that came with one, but it didn’t really do anything for me and it was replaced by an MX Revo in short order.

There’s no accounting for taste (or individuals’ hands) but I spent my fair share with the black Pro mice assembling tons of quarkXpress documents. I’m not saying it’s a superlative mouse, it’s that “it was adequate.” I didn’t hate it, unlike the hockey puck which I loathed (or the magic mouse). I replaced it because I wanted more buttons, not because it caused RSI or was uncomfortable to use. It was “an mouse” that most people would use without much complaint.

No OEM mouse is a good mouse though, including Apple’s. I have all of Apple’s ADB and USB mice along with ones from various other makes (NeXT, Sun workstations, Dell, DEC) and with the exception of the NeXT ADB mouse, none of them are particularly good or special. I don’t think Microsoft actually made a “good” mouse until 1993 and even then they didn't make a truly great one until the first Intellimouse Explorer. They've also intentionally designed some really terrible mice too, though I will grant that the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer was probably my favorite mouse shape of all time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do Apple mice still have the problem where if you rest your fingers on the mouse while not clicking, you can’t do a right click? So to right click you need to lift both fingers and only click with your right finger.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I can't stand Apple mices or third party mices plugged into apple devices. The internal and external trackpads are where they put real effort in and are a pleasure to use.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

crazysim posted:

I can't stand Apple mices or third party mices plugged into apple devices. The internal and external trackpads are where they put real effort in and are a pleasure to use.

My mind is still blown by the haptic engine. The trackpads don’t move but our meatbag sensory systems are so easy to fool…

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

movax posted:

My mind is still blown by the haptic engine. The trackpads don’t move but our meatbag sensory systems are so easy to fool…

It's truly wild you can adjust how firm the clickiness feels. I sometimes use it, but I sometimes prefer tap to click as the unintended input rejection logic Apple has is simply sublime.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mice are for boomers. Trackball with rotation wheel on the right, Magic Trackpad on the left of your mechanical keyboard you built yourself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LionArcher posted:

Mice are for boomers. Trackball with rotation wheel on the right, Magic Trackpad on the left of your mechanical keyboard you built yourself.

Without the Magic Trackpad this sounds exactly like the peripheral setup plugged into a Gentoo install running i3. The keyboard is Colemak.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

i know it's technically possible but i'd hate to play FPSes on a trackball. games and some stuff like drawing is why I can't get rid of a mouse.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LionArcher posted:

i keep my trackpad on the right and my leftie ergo mouse on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

*slowly scrolls through a clarisworks document by repeatedly clicking the down arrow on the scrollbar*
Click in the scroll bar or drag the indicator :colbert:

Most/all the Apple mice seem to be made with fingertip grip in mind, they're too low or small to feel right/comfortable with other holds. The puck was like the ultimate gently caress you to any other style of holding a mouse.