Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hatty posted:

Apple restricted the student discount program now they ask for actual proof:kingsley:

Oh well nice while it lasted

Sign up for a gym class at a local community college, get the student id and email address, refund the class before the first day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This is more of a dropbox question than a mac question, but i couldnt find a better place to put it.

My wife has a desktop mac, and a macbook pro for her business, swapping between them depending on if she is at home or out. She's working entirely off an m.2 drive in a thunderbolt enclosure - so the idea is that when she travels, she can unplug it from one machine and plug it into the other to continue.

The m.2 drive was set up with everything in a dropbox folder on the desktop and this works as expected - however, we tried moving the drive to the laptop and set dropbox up there, but because it's a new computer, dropbox is seeing it as an entirely new drive that needs to be synced and is trying to re-upload it all over again, making an entire duplicate copy of the drive.

Is there any way to set dropbox up to see this as the same folder/drive, regardless of which machine it is plugged into? She will be traveling for work for a few weeks at a time and waiting until she gets back to her desktop to sync/backup is not ideal.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 18, 2022

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Got my M1 Pro and new ipad in under the gun!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

hatty posted:

Apple restricted the student discount program now they ask for actual proof:kingsley:

Oh well nice while it lasted

Wow, do we know what's acceptable?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Small White Dragon posted:

Wow, do we know what's acceptable?

You have to verify through Unidays now, they accepted my old college login so we’ll see if I get approved

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

I'm almost happily using my MBP 14" 10-core in the office, with the laptop screen open and two 27" monitors. I'm using them now, but not without using too many cables directly to the laptop.
So next up: A TB4 dock is needed.

I saw mention of Sonnet TB4. I've read about OWC one and also Anker and a "Razer" - does anyone have any more suggestions, or reviews of any of the aforementioned docks?

Thank you nerdy goons. :tipshat:
I'm very happy with this laptop. I get to retire my 2015 15" now, so far.
It really depends on how much you want to spend and what's actually available given the semiconductor shortage. The new Sonnet TB4 docks look absolutely perfect for what the new M1 Pros can do but they're over double the US price here in Australia so I don't think I'll be looking into one any time soon.

TB4 is backwards compatible with TB3 and I think the main thing you're losing is the ability to run an 8k screen (TB3 will cap out at 5k/6k depending on refresh rate). I'm personally using a Dell WD19TB at work with dual 27" screens on the 14" 10-core M1 Pro so I can vouch that they work fine with TB3 docks.

If you're willing to go for a TB3 dock I'll throw in a recommendation for the CalDigit TS3+ (a shitload of ports, more expensive) or the USB-C Pro dock (slightly cheaper, less ports, comes with either double DisplayPort or double HDMI).

One thing to keep in mind is the 14" M1 Pro seems to be hardware limited to the internal + 2 external screens similar to how the M1s could only do internal + one external screen. I figured the listing of 2x8K on the tech specs meant it would be like the older Macs where 2x5K meant that it could drive one on each Thunderbolt channel (or two on each channel at a lower resolution) but I've tried every combination of connections I can think of with mine and I can't get it to display on more than 2 external screens at a time regardless of whether it's via HDMI, USB-C or through a TB dock.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

...but they're over double the US price here in Australia so I don't think I'll be looking into one any time soon.
They're priced fairly here.

Mercurius posted:

TB4 is backwards compatible with TB3
Yep. I'm in the business - I just haven't bought or used TB4 as of yet.
Hence my question.

Mercurius posted:

I'm personally using a Dell WD19TB at work with dual 27" screens on the 14" 10-core M1 Pro so I can vouch that they work fine with TB3 docks.
Oh coinky-dink... same dock right now with the same computer. I can't get it to use its two DisplayPorts nor DisplayPort and HDMI port with 27" monitors without mirroring.
Only way I could do it was by plugging directly into the second USB-C TB port on the mac, bypassing the dock. Updated the firmware of the Dock this morning too.

Mercurius posted:

If you're willing to go for a TB3 dock I'll throw in a recommendation for the CalDigit TS3+ (a shitload of ports, more expensive) or the USB-C Pro dock (slightly cheaper, less ports, comes with either double DisplayPort or double HDMI).
We have one of those CalDigit docks, but it is at another campus, but I was going to try that next.

Mercurius posted:

One thing to keep in mind is the 14" M1 Pro seems to be hardware limited to the internal + 2 external screens similar to how the M1s could only do internal + one external screen. I can't get it to display on more than 2 external screens at a time regardless of whether it's via HDMI, USB-C or through a TB dock.
No problem for me. Just want two external screens, and I don't care about >=4K displays for now.
Thanks for the info! :v:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mercurius posted:

One thing to keep in mind is the 14" M1 Pro seems to be hardware limited to the internal + 2 external screens similar to how the M1s could only do internal + one external screen.

Yup. M1* SoCs all have multiple copies of a hardware block responsible for driving displays. M1 has two of these display controllers, M1 Pro three, and M1 Max five. If it's a laptop, the internal display uses one display controller even while the lid is closed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, Apple tells techs M1 Pros can drive two external displays, the Max can drive four using all the TB and HDMI ports.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

They're priced fairly here.

Yep. I'm in the business - I just haven't bought or used TB4 as of yet.
Hence my question.

Oh coinky-dink... same dock right now with the same computer. I can't get it to use its two DisplayPorts nor DisplayPort and HDMI port with 27" monitors without mirroring.
Only way I could do it was by plugging directly into the second USB-C TB port on the mac, bypassing the dock. Updated the firmware of the Dock this morning too.

We have one of those CalDigit docks, but it is at another campus, but I was going to try that next.

No problem for me. Just want two external screens, and I don't care about >=4K displays for now.
Thanks for the info! :v:
Dell are morons and connected the entire block of HDMI/2xDP/USB-C as one giant MST chain which MacOS doesn’t understand so it just treats it as one singular video output. Plug your second monitor into the actual Thunderbolt port (using a USB-C to whatever cable) on the left side of the dock at the back and it’ll work.

Same deal if you ever want to run 2x 4K monitors on Windows.

e: since I'm back at my desk now, this one:

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 19, 2022

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

Dell are morons and connected the entire block of HDMI/2xDP/USB-C as one giant MST chain which MacOS doesn’t understand so it just treats it as one singular video output. Plug your second monitor into the actual Thunderbolt port (using a USB-C to whatever cable) on the left side of the dock at the back and it’ll work.
I got a hold the CalDigit TS3+ dock this afternoon and still have the same issue. I think it's because I don't have a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, and the USB-C adapter to HDMI cable is failing the handshake (?)

I can get it to work if I plug that into the MBP directly into its TB (USB-C) port, bypassing the dock(s). So two docks have the issue. I'll be buying a 15 dollar cable and see if that makes a difference.

I believe I tried that port you point out—but I'll try again at work tomorrow. Thanks for the pic.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hatty posted:

You have to verify through Unidays now, they accepted my old college login so we’ll see if I get approved

I've been working at this same college for over a decade and the Unidays gave me trouble so it had to open a ticket. I also did the email verification and hopefully that goes through.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

Dell are morons .... Plug your second monitor into the actual Thunderbolt port (using a USB-C to whatever cable) on the left side of the dock at the back and it’ll work.

e: since I'm back at my desk now, this one:

I went back to the Dell dock and it is working (also a bigger power supply connected ... not the small one for a 13" XPS, though I don't know if that makes a difference).

Now I'm curious as to why the "better" CalDigit TS3+ wasn't (isn't) working. But that will have to wait for now.

Thank you Mecurius! :dance:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Is there any way to set dropbox up to see this as the same folder/drive, regardless of which machine it is plugged into? She will be traveling for work for a few weeks at a time and waiting until she gets back to her desktop to sync/backup is not ideal.

I mean, good luck with anything special case Dropbox/Mac related these days. They are still working on a native M1 app. I wonder if something like Maestral would be better behaved for you? https://maestral.app I think you're gonna have a hard time with this because the whole Dropbox deal is invisibly sync between different computers so there's a bunch of behind the scenes stuff reading the filesystem and changes to files that they hook into the OS.

What about things like Smart Sync to control the space use? Assuming that's the reason you aren't just using Dropbox as intended which is having a folder on each computer's internal HDD.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

I went back to the Dell dock and it is working (also a bigger power supply connected ... not the small one for a 13" XPS, though I don't know if that makes a difference).

Now I'm curious as to why the "better" CalDigit TS3+ wasn't (isn't) working. But that will have to wait for now.

Thank you Mecurius! :dance:
WD19TBs normally use a 180W power supply and we've definitely seen them not provide full functionality when they have a regular laptop power brick in them.

I actually stumbled on how to get the dual screens working while I was trying to get it working for one of my team members who was trying to use 2x 4K screens on Windows when we first got the WD19TBs in. I was using an intel MBP at the time but it was the same behaviour.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does BetterTouchTool or one of those various tinkering tools for macOS allow you to tweak or reduce the sensitive region of the trackpad by any chance?

It is absolutely maddening how big this thing is, and it always registers a touch under my left thumb when it's just resting on the keyboard (I always have my left thumb on Command). All my usual keystrokes and gestures keep triggering weird swipe combinations because it thinks there's a third finger on it.

Seems like it ought to be simple to make it just not register touches on the leftmost 1" of the trackpad area or whatever.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Automatic microphone adjustment in every individual video meeting app can suck my balls. Let me set it once in system settings, not once in the app that came with my blue mic and again in every flipping app in existence for remote work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hatty posted:

Unidays will verify you if you either visit a special portal that links to your institution's credential pages or if you click on a link sent to your address at the institution, which implies you need an active email there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Binary Badger posted:

Unidays will verify you if you either visit a special portal that links to your institution's credential pages or if you click on a link sent to your address at the institution, which implies you need an active email there.

fortunately my school gives free email for life

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

WD19TBs normally use a 180W power supply and we've definitely seen them not provide full functionality when they have a regular laptop power brick in them.

I actually stumbled on how to get the dual screens working while I was trying to get it working for one of my team members who was trying to use 2x 4K screens on Windows when we first got the WD19TBs in. I was using an intel MBP at the time but it was the same behaviour.
I spoke a bit too soon. Everything is working except the Realtek headphone (front)/audio out (back) 3.5mm ports.
I was wearing a headset for video calls which worked fine and the 27" monitors work via HDMI (crappy sound never use those), and then I hooked up my speakers. :mad:

I ordered the Sonnet this afternoon—I'll be done with the Dell soon enough.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ok. am i crazy? i STILL havent found a usb-c to displayport cord that my m1 max macbook fuckin recognizes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have my iMac's macOS booting from an external SSD. I'd love to install Windows on this as well; I have it on the internal drive but it's slow as gently caress. If I partition the SSD, is there any way to clone the already-made Windows partion from the internal HDD to the external SSD and have the Mac boot from that? Thanks!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

ok. am i crazy? i STILL havent found a usb-c to displayport cord that my m1 max macbook fuckin recognizes.

I bought this in 2019 and it works on my M1 Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CL31FR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm using this to connect my Mac mini to a 4K Dell.

USB-IF Certified Cable Matters 10 Gbps Gen 2 USB C to USB C Cable 3.3 ft / 1m with 8K Video and 100W Power Delivery in Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0F6AJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RJBPS0QB7Z42V5FNP3NC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Bob Morales posted:

Some Dell XPS 15 user will bring it up when discussing how inferior Macs are

Oh no, not the Dell users! Do not let them to poo poo up my precious Mac thread! :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

limaCAT posted:

Oh no, not the Dell users! Do not let them to poo poo up my precious Mac thread! :ohdear:

in this thread “Dell user” tends to mean “I’m using a Dell display/dock with my MBP”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have my iMac's macOS booting from an external SSD. I'd love to install Windows on this as well; I have it on the internal drive but it's slow as gently caress. If I partition the SSD, is there any way to clone the already-made Windows partion from the internal HDD to the external SSD and have the Mac boot from that? Thanks!
Winclone worked for me when I moved it from one machine to another https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just be aware that booting Windows from an external drive requires some hacks and enough time+work that I wouldn't really bother with it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also it sounds scary but if you're patient putting an ssd in there is not a big deal; we did it to a 2010/2011 21-inch imac

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

also it sounds scary but if you're patient putting an ssd in there is not a big deal; we did it to a 2010/2011 21-inch imac

It’s a work machine so I can’t really mess with the internals

Last Chance posted:

Just be aware that booting Windows from an external drive requires some hacks and enough time+work that I wouldn't really bother with it

Interesting, what sort of issues is there?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s a work machine so I can’t really mess with the internals

Interesting, what sort of issues is there?

ahh, that's fair.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/21/apple-no-education-verification-requirement/

Apple went back to the old policy of not asking for proof of educational status and have temporarily removed the UNIDAYS requirement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/21/apple-no-education-verification-requirement/

Apple went back to the old policy of not asking for proof of educational status and have temporarily removed the UNIDAYS requirement.

Thank God

I feel like this was a warning to all of us liars

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The day I lose my Apple Music student account will be a dark day indeed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think i said this elsewhere but my school signed a deal with microsoft and i got an email that says my address is mine for free for life lol

sorry to everyone who has my initial + very common last name, it's mine forever

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wow still a long delivery time on the MacBook Pros huh. Guess I’ll order now and see it in a month or so

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

lmao the comments

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao the comments

macrumors comment section is always an absolute shithole, like clockwork

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

macrumors comment section is always an absolute shithole, like clockwork

BuT iF PeOpLe LiE aBouT bEiNg StUdENts ThEn ThEy’Re StEaLiNg fRoM ApPLe!!!

THeY’Re STeALinG aNd ThAt’S WrOnG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hatty posted:

Wow still a long delivery time on the MacBook Pros huh. Guess I’ll order now and see it in a month or so

Meanwhile, the lead time for an iPhone appears to be only a week or slightly longer