Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
If you really want to adopt the Apple ecosystem properly you need to buy whatever looks the best so you should get M2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

benisntfunny posted:

If you really want to adopt the Apple ecosystem properly you need to buy whatever looks the best so you should get M2.

And the double bonus of first generation of a new design which historically means you will have absolutely no issues

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just popping in to say I stumbled onto Universal Control between my MacBook Air and iPad and it’s cool as hell, I had to tell someone.

I always knew Sidecar was a thing but this is something I will 100% use, especially considering a lot of my work apps are iOS-exclusives.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Just popping in to say I stumbled onto Universal Control between my MacBook Air and iPad and it’s cool as hell, I had to tell someone.

I always knew Sidecar was a thing but this is something I will 100% use, especially considering a lot of my work apps are iOS-exclusives.

Hahaha this was driving my dad nuts for a good week he couldn’t figure out why his mouse was getting stuck on his iPad lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher posted:

Not the only reason. The keyboard in fact feels way better, the screen is better and noticeable bigger next to the old air, and the extra port really is nice. If you buy a laptop every 6+ years and don't need to worry about speed really (so 90% of users) I still think the way to go is the 512 gig M2 at this point, once discounts come out.

yeah, you’re right.

FWIW, I’d get the M2.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bad Purchase posted:

This took Phil levels of courage to say, but I'm glad someone finally did.

Anyway, unrelated, a week or so ago I posted here asking about a dead keyboard on an m1 macbook air that was a few months past the 1 year standard warranty. Chatted with apple to see if they would fix it anyway, and no luck. But I remembered that I bought the thing using a chase credit card that has the perk of a 1 year extended warranty on most stuff you buy, and I think I should be able to get it repaired or replaced using that. I'm tracking down the old order info and ran into a snag.

I bought the laptop on 4/27 from B&H and have the email receipt. But, I used apple pay checkout (with my chase credit card in my apple pay wallet), and the email receipt shows a different last 4 digits than the last 4 of my credit card. A google search says these are the last 4 digits of a "Device Account Number" rather than the credit card itself. I also found a post someone wrote about their experience going through warranty support for products purchased with apple pay, and they said they were asked to show proof of the device account number instead of credit card details.

I checked my Wallet app, and my device account number for this card does not match the B&H receipt. I'm guessing this is because I got a new phone since then, and when I transferred my settings and stuff over it did not transfer my wallet cards -- I had to set those up from scratch again. I do see the charge in my May 2021 credit card statement for the right amount from B&H, although the date doesn't match the email receipt (2 days different for some reason??)

I haven't called the credit card help line yet to see what they say, but I am anticipating a problem because the receipt for the item does not show the right card number or a device ID number I can reproduce, and even though there is a matching purchase in my credit card statement from the same store, the date isn't an exact match.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of warranty process that involves connecting purchase history through apple pay? Is there some way to prove that an obsolete device ID from an apple wallet matches a specific credit card?

They don’t care if the 4 digits match or anything. I’ve done it with citi a few times at least. The thing you really need is a dated receipt with the purchase amount, and then the corresponding statement that shows the same info. I don’t think the date needs to match up 1:1 as long as it’s close because there’s usually a reporting lag between charge and posting dates.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ thanks! i did create a claim and submitted pdf exports of the invoice from B&H, the credit card statement, and the apple warranty information to the cardbenefitservices.com site over the weekend.

i wrote an annotation on the invoice explaining that it's an apple wallet id and not the last 4 of the card, but sounds like i didn't need to do that.

i'm mentally preparing myself for an argument with a claims agent, but hopefully it goes smoothly.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The reason to get an M2 Macbook Air over the original is you're rich and vain.

Also, anyone w/ the M2 Macbook Air thinking about doing the thermal pad mods?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LionArcher posted:

Not the only reason. The keyboard in fact feels way better, the screen is better and noticeable bigger next to the old air, and the extra port really is nice. If you buy a laptop every 6+ years and don't need to worry about speed really (so 90% of users) I still think the way to go is the 512 gig M2 at this point, once discounts come out.

This has me second guessing myself a bit. At 16Gb / 512Gb they are the same price (pro actually slightly cheaper). I would value the smaller computer for travel. Otoh at the same price it feels dumb not to get the "better" machine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

knox_harrington posted:

This has me second guessing myself a bit. At 16Gb / 512Gb they are the same price (pro actually slightly cheaper). I would value the smaller computer for travel. Otoh at the same price it feels dumb not to get the "better" machine.

where are you seeing a 14” Pro cheaper?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't know where it would've been cheaper, but if you configure the m2 air with 16/512 and the 10 core GPU, it's the exact same price ($1699) that the base m1 pro was on sale at best buy this week.

if you get the default 8 core GPU m2, the m2 air is $100 bucks cheaper. i haven't seen either of those m2 models discounted yet unless you count the education store.

edit: i'm not saying there's no case to be made for buying a spec'd up m2 air. if you need maximum portability it will be a better choice. but other than that all it has going for it is better single core cpu performance. the pro is better if you care about multicore, the gpu, storage speed, the screen, extra ports, an extra display, 120 Hz refresh, speakers/mic/camera, and probably other stuff i'm forgetting.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 2, 2022

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

anothergod posted:

I've been using mine since launch day and haven't noticed it getting hot. I haven't been watching resource manager or anything, just using it like a computer. Works good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ok Comboomer posted:

where are you seeing a 14” Pro cheaper?

I bought it online here in Switzerland.

Pro M1 is 1879 CHF
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/apple-macbook-pro-late-2021-14-m1-pro-16-gb-512-gb-notebook-17112939?supplier=406802

Air M2 is 1919 CHF
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/apple-macbook-air-2022-1360-m2-16-gb-512-gb-notebook-21437163?supplier=406802

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Enjoy! The 14" Pro isn't too big at all to use as a daily driver, and you will appreciate every day the much nicer screen & speakers on the 14" over the m2 air.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

anothergod posted:

No, and I don't see a reason why I would want to, tbh. I'm not doing anything that requires a sustained, high-load. And I use it primarily unplugged, so that mod would make it uncomfortable to use with the extra heat going to the chassis if I ever did that kind of work load.

And, really, I would have just gotten something with an actual fan if that kind of thing was needed. It cools good enough for my light development work, video watching, and general browser stuff.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

How hot do the thermal pads make the bottom?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

anothergod posted:

How hot do the thermal pads make the bottom?

I haven't seen any numbers, but, again, unless you are doing something that requires the machine to run nearly full speed for several consecutive minutes, you won't see any noticeable benefits of thermal pads.

Hell, right now, I just have my M2 Air running in low-power mode 24/7 for extra battery life because nothing I am currently doing is requiring high performance. Closest thing is running some static site generators, and even that only takes 2 minutes at the high end and there is no throttling whether I'm in low-power or normal mode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone know why my iMac 5K 2015 will only mount Thunderbolt drives on a restart? I've got a TB2 - TB3 adapter that I use to connect to a few G-Drives but for the past month or so, it'll only mount them if they're on during boot or if I restart the Mac with them plugged in and turned on. I can't plug in drives after the Mac has started and have them mount. There doesn't seem to be any issue mounting TB2-only Lacie drives. Any ideas? It used to work perfectly. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They should call it the MacBook Earth if it’s gonna get hotter every year.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone know why my iMac 5K 2015 will only mount Thunderbolt drives on a restart? I've got a TB2 - TB3 adapter that I use to connect to a few G-Drives but for the past month or so, it'll only mount them if they're on during boot or if I restart the Mac with them plugged in and turned on. I can't plug in drives after the Mac has started and have them mount. There doesn't seem to be any issue mounting TB2-only Lacie drives. Any ideas? It used to work perfectly. Thanks!

does this happen even if you go into disk utility and explicitly ask it to look

adapter could also be failing if some sort of sw bug wasn’t introduced

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Kibner posted:

thermal pads.

Yeah most people don't need to do the thermal pad thing but I'm hoping a goon has tested a weird case and can share their experiences. And/or anyone w experience opening a recent MacBook... That'd be cool to hear too

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did the thermal pad mod on my M1 Air in December 2020, no problems so far. It never sits on my lap so I haven't noticed any issues, I did an IR temp gun reading on the bottom when I originally did it and I think it got to like mid 40s celsius at full heat soak.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

If it was the same price exactly I'd personally get the Pro. But if you travel a lot and don't need the speed, the air might be the better buy. it really is a preference on size/weight/extra stuff you may want or need.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The smaller bezels, midnight color, the size and weight were all big factors for me. I can't explain it exactly but the M2 Air feels so drat expensive. Granted it *is* expensive especially if you go for anything over the base model like I did, but this is a really nice computer that, IMO, "feels" nicer than the MBPs because they're still using the same old hardware design despite the tech.

I get the impression that if you're not making Hollywood movies in 4-8k and a bunch of advanced post processing/CGI, you don't need the pro? Like you can do editing just fine but you're not going to make, say, The Avengers.

That said I would really like to know how the thermal pad mod works out. Could you use it as a laptop as long as you're not doing any heavy load? Like, could you do normal workaday stuff on your lap and just put it on the desk if you need to render or whatever? Or will it be hot as the surface of the sun all the time if you do the mod?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I just wouldn’t do it. Or do it and find out for yourself if it’s beneficial. I’m pretty skeptical it would do anything but net minor (imperceptible probably) performance gains for most people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

does this happen even if you go into disk utility and explicitly ask it to look

adapter could also be failing if some sort of sw bug wasn’t introduced

Yeah the drives aren’t showing up in DU at all. I think I have a second adapter around somewhere that I’ll try, thanks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

bloodysabbath posted:

The smaller bezels, midnight color, the size and weight were all big factors for me. I can't explain it exactly but the M2 Air feels so drat expensive. Granted it *is* expensive especially if you go for anything over the base model like I did, but this is a really nice computer that, IMO, "feels" nicer than the MBPs because they're still using the same old hardware design despite the tech.

I get the impression that if you're not making Hollywood movies in 4-8k and a bunch of advanced post processing/CGI, you don't need the pro? Like you can do editing just fine but you're not going to make, say, The Avengers.

That said I would really like to know how the thermal pad mod works out. Could you use it as a laptop as long as you're not doing any heavy load? Like, could you do normal workaday stuff on your lap and just put it on the desk if you need to render or whatever? Or will it be hot as the surface of the sun all the time if you do the mod?
I think most people here are comparing the upgraded M2 Air against the M1 14” (which does have a new design) rather than the M2 13” Pro (which is still using the old touchbar design) because upgrading the Air at all puts it in the same price bracket as the base 14” Pro.

The 14” Pro has an excellent screen/speakers, improved performance, a really nice feeling keyboard, MagSafe + 3x TB4/HDMI/SD card slot and can push 2 external screens with the trade off being that it’s slightly heavier/chunkier.

I use a 14” Pro at work and honestly unless you absolutely need the reduced weight or really want the new colours I would be going for the 14” Pro instead.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I went for the Air because I wanted the more portable design (I never plan on docking this or using it while attached to a power source, like ever) and that it is fanless. Being able to use it without any noise other than my typing and touch pad clicking is wonderful. I will be using headphones if I need sound out of it so the headphone jack has me covered. The only thing I really miss from not getting the Pro is the better screen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rolo posted:

They should call it the MacBook Earth if it’s gonna get hotter every year.

Macbook Texas: 21", no thermal cooling, might not be able to sufficiently power normal operations, delivered in a tub of barbecue sauce. The mouse only has one button, and also it's a gun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Macbook Texas: 21", no thermal cooling, might not be able to sufficiently power normal operations, delivered in a tub of barbecue sauce. The mouse only has one button, and also it's a gun.

Ah, I can see the 8-Bit Guy video already.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kibner posted:

I went for the Air because I wanted the more portable design (I never plan on docking this or using it while attached to a power source, like ever) and that it is fanless. Being able to use it without any noise other than my typing and touch pad clicking is wonderful. I will be using headphones if I need sound out of it so the headphone jack has me covered. The only thing I really miss from not getting the Pro is the better screen.
Yeah this is exactly my use case too; the reduced weight compared the Pro is much more valuable to me than the extra power that would probably be wasted since I have never edited video or had a professional workflow more taxing than running Python.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My new macbook has been delivered. Thing is, I'm not at home. I wonder who has it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i do. it sucks, so don't get too upset

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So I just found out that System Preferences > Display > More Space does not set my resolution to full 1:1....!?

Can someone explain this to me? Is there a way through System Preferences to set my Mac resolution to utilize every pixel or should I use this third party app I was recommended on a FF14 discord? lol

Also, are there any other weird caveats that Windows -> Mac owners will go through?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you hold the option key in that menu you should be able to select your native resolution.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also unless you own a magnifying glass doing so probably isn’t the best idea (which is why it’s obfuscated behind a button press in the menu).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

anothergod posted:

So I just found out that System Preferences > Display > More Space does not set my resolution to full 1:1....!?

Can someone explain this to me? Is there a way through System Preferences to set my Mac resolution to utilize every pixel or should I use this third party app I was recommended on a FF14 discord? lol

Also, are there any other weird caveats that Windows -> Mac owners will go through?

In the displays section, where you have the option of choosing default for display or Scaled; hold down option as you click ‘scaled’ and it will change from the slider to a more traditional resolution selection where you can select whatever resolution you want.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

does that only work for external monitors? i'm trying this on my 2021 mbp's builtin display (monterey 12.5), and the option key doesn't seem to do anything. the highest it will go is "looks like 1800 x 1169", no matter where or how i click with option held down.

i don't really care, i'm happy with that setting, but was just curious to see what it looks like native.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Neither the option key nor the command key aren't working for me to set the resolution. I still only get like "more" and "even more" or whatever. I got an app called EasyRes that is helping me do this, though. It works, but definitely clutters my task bar.

Also, I don't really understand why MacOS does this? Why don't they just make the default the resolution of the computer and then just make the UI bigger? I do code on my Mac, and it's like... yeah I want more resolution for code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bad Purchase posted:

does that only work for external monitors? i'm trying this on my 2021 mbp's builtin display (monterey 12.5), and the option key doesn't seem to do anything. the highest it will go is "looks like 1800 x 1169", no matter where or how i click with option held down.

i don't really care, i'm happy with that setting, but was just curious to see what it looks like native.

Seems like it, external monitor gives me the dropdown built the built-in doesn't.