Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Last Chance posted:

Wow, I bought a similar TP-link hub last year and that one has just vanished from the official seller and is selling for 3x as much from other sellers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCX6I8A/

I know there's been a lot of inflation lately but that seems like a lot

prices from third party sellers generally have no bearing on any other metric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mediaphage posted:

prices from third party sellers generally have no bearing on any other metric

Or anything at all, even the market itself I think.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Played FFXIV on my M2 MBA on battery for 2 hours. Had 50% charge left.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

anothergod posted:

Played FFXIV on my M2 MBA on battery for 2 hours. Had 50% charge left.

Nice. What's FFXIV?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mofabio posted:

Nice. What's FFXIV?

It’s a fashion design app.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s WoW but more anime

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mofabio posted:

Nice. What's FFXIV?

a miserable pile of JRPG tropes

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mofabio posted:

Nice. What's FFXIV?

not much, what's ffxiv with you?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What are people's thoughts on Migration Assistant versus the traditional Clean Install And Data Copy these days? I've long favoured the clean install but my work PC is, well, a PC, so, that's why I think that way. Recently I migrated a family member who does audio work from an Intel MBP to a Mac Studio and used Migration Assistant, fearing some fuckups, and I was blown away at how well it went; even Time Machine figured out what had happened and seamlessly inherited the backup state, and other than a quick trip to the M1 kernel extension permission dialogue to get the audio engine working the whole process was handled by the assistant with not a thing out of place as far as anyone could tell. This contrasts with what I hear from some other family members, who offer dire warnings of missing files and days of confusion but who are remarkably light on details as to what actually happened. I've been slow to trust Migration Assistant. Was I wrong?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fedule posted:

What are people's thoughts on Migration Assistant versus the traditional Clean Install And Data Copy these days? I've long favoured the clean install but my work PC is, well, a PC, so, that's why I think that way. Recently I migrated a family member who does audio work from an Intel MBP to a Mac Studio and used Migration Assistant, fearing some fuckups, and I was blown away at how well it went; even Time Machine figured out what had happened and seamlessly inherited the backup state, and other than a quick trip to the M1 kernel extension permission dialogue to get the audio engine working the whole process was handled by the assistant with not a thing out of place as far as anyone could tell. This contrasts with what I hear from some other family members, who offer dire warnings of missing files and days of confusion but who are remarkably light on details as to what actually happened. I've been slow to trust Migration Assistant. Was I wrong?

I used Migration Assistant eight years ago to move everything onto my still-in-use MBP and it’s been mostly great, but about two years ago I made some sort of unspecified tweak in the permissions while installing some Python bullshit and all of a sudden I started getting regular notifications to run CleanMyMac, which I had never ever put on the MBP but had accidentally installed and subsequently uninstalled and deleted from its MacBook Air predecessor about a decade prior.

Take this with a big grain of salt, and I’m sure things are better/different now, but if you have reason to think that there are little vestigial pieces of bloatware/malware hiding on your computer then maybe it’s best to move your content and files/etc manually.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is kind of old man screaming at clouds but frankly i don’t change computers so often that doing more than using my icloud creds is necessary. like it brings over my passwords and i can handle everything else

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Migration assistant is amazing. I moved an unsupported install of Monterey on an old iMac to a new Mac Studio back in May no problems. Used it many times and it fucks up far less than straight up restoring from a TM backup or direct copy

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can split the baby with Migration Assistant: just tell it to transfer over your user folder and not your Applications/System settings. Gets you that clean install goodness while bringing over all your docs and stuff.

On my personal Macs I’ve never had to do that (this particular Mac has a lineage going back to some white MacBook in 2006) but I’ve done it once or twice on machines that needed full wipes and restores that had some weird system stuff going on.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

I've used Migration Assistant to move over a lineage of 3 macs, even using the same source for two macs running alongside each other with no issues whatsoever.

It's pretty neat and keeps everything, even my bash profile which was a nice surprise.

zhar
May 3, 2019

personally I take the opportunity when getting a new machine to do some cleaning, especially in the downloads folder so I do a directory by directory transfer, and I like the peace of mind of running it lean and fresh (I just replaced a decade old machine, no idea what tweaks or scripts I ran back then).

That said if a family member/ non technical friend asked I’d tell them to use migration assistant without hesitation, when I replaced a hd it worked flawlessly.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Quote is not edit

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a fresh computer is a great time to pull the git repo full of dotfiles you made 8 years ago and realize how terrible they are/were and throw them all out and start over

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I always start fresh and only redownload stuff when I realize I need it. I’m also not a power user nor do I value my time so I can understand why some people might prefer migration just to immediately get their new computer “just like how it was before”.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I always sell my current laptop before buying a new one and am terrible at keeping backups so no migration for me

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I generally do the migration but started fresh when I got my M1 because I wanted to get M1 native apps where possible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Riven posted:

I generally do the migration but started fresh when I got my M1 because I wanted to get M1 native apps where possible.

Yeah this is the only thing that was sort of annoying with my intel ->m1 migration. I’m still finding random apps that are intel that I need to reinstall the m1 version of. Including stuff like homebrew-installed tools

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm a little freak and find doing a fresh install to be fun. Hell, sometimes I've done for no reason other than to de-stress.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Reorganizing files is a classic Sunday cooldown activity

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Thanks all. I think I have that 10-port Anker shoved in a drawer somewhere so that should probably be my next option. I guess nothing outstandingly awesome has come out in the last few years.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Migration assistant rules. I migrated over everything from my old Mac to my new one I got recently and it's like I didn't miss a beat.

Though there are almost certainly ancient old files from 2009 still kicking around somewhere here but oh well.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212755

Is there any benefit for the MBA M2 using a >67W charger? I like this tiny 35W charger, but it charges so much slower than I expected.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

anothergod posted:

Is there any benefit for the MBA M2 using a >67W charger? I like this tiny 35W charger, but it charges so much slower than I expected.

boy is there!

note in this instance fast charge is 50% in less than thirty minutes

edit: oh poo poo you said greater than 67. maybe maybe not. it sounds like you should get the fast charge stuff though?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

anothergod posted:

I think it's about a 50Wh battery so the 50% in 30min spec needs about 50W from the charger. If you want to also be doing something really power hungry at the same time as fast charging it could matter, otherwise it won't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

generally speaking i’d think 50% of a laptop battery in 30 minutes is a fine speed. are we all spoiled by mobile device charging or something

i had assumed op was using a lower wattage charger since those times don’t seem too bad (but i dunno exactly how long things were taking them either)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

anothergod posted:

USB-PD means that the charger will only go as fast as what the device will ask, so even if you go hard with 140W, the spare capacity will stay there unused.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

To be clear, I was complaining about the 35W dual charger speed. I think the 67W speed sounds pretty great, but then I realized you can get higher W chargers and was curious if higher W chargers could charge even faster than the 67W.

Edit: What I'm understanding from the replies is that the Macbook Air M2's max charging wattage is 67W. Since I can't find any evidence on the Apple site that says otherwise, I'm going to assume this is true. Does anyone have high wattage chargers that they recommend that aren't apple branded? Maybe with USB C ports?

anothergod fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 11, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

anothergod posted:

To be clear, I was complaining about the 35W dual charger speed. I think the 67W speed sounds pretty great, but then I realized you can get higher W chargers and was curious if higher W chargers could charge even faster than the 67W.

Edit: What I'm understanding from the replies is that the Macbook Air M2's max charging wattage is 67W. Since I can't find any evidence on the Apple site that says otherwise, I'm going to assume this is true. Does anyone have high wattage chargers that they recommend that aren't apple branded? Maybe with USB C ports?

I would suggest sticking to apple, just to avoid issues with usb-pd handshakes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

anothergod posted:

i don't have access to an m2 but i have to imagine that above 67 you're not likely to get much of a benefit - but upgrading to 67 is very likely worth it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

anothergod posted:

I got the 67W from Apple (and it fast charges as advertised), but System Report says it’s only drawing 65W. I don’t know where the extra 2W is going, whether the adapter is actually pulling the full 67W or not, or if that’s just an extra margin for some unknown Apple reasons.

I use an Anker 65W multi-port/travel adapter, which charges at a practically-identical speed (I don’t know if it’s exactly the same, but it’s fast). I also have fairly-inexpensive Anker and Belkin 30W adapters, which aren’t fast but work just fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sonic Dude posted:

I got the 67W from Apple (and it fast charges as advertised), but System Report says it’s only drawing 65W. I don’t know where the extra 2W is going, whether the adapter is actually pulling the full 67W or not, or if that’s just an extra margin for some unknown Apple reasons.

I use an Anker 65W multi-port/travel adapter, which charges at a practically-identical speed (I don’t know if it’s exactly the same, but it’s fast). I also have fairly-inexpensive Anker and Belkin 30W adapters, which aren’t fast but work just fine.

65W is a USB-PD standard size, i think apple is overselling the wattage to look cooler since only the nerdiest nerd will go check the exact numbers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you’re probably right though it would be interesting to see if they negotiate the extra two watts on platforms that support it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bad Purchase posted:

a fresh computer is a great time to pull the git repo full of dotfiles you made 8 years ago and realize how terrible they are/were and throw them all out and start over

I switched to fish from zsh on my new mac and I'm loving it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

prom candy posted:

I switched to fish from zsh on my new mac and I'm loving it

powerlevel10k with a nerd font :kiss:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Just curious, how much do MacBook Airs tend to deprecate? I'm running a late 2013 and it's starting to get frustratingly slow. I want the refreshed 14" but who knows when that will come out. One idea I'm thinking of is picking up a used base model M1 MacBook Air, use it until the 14" is refreshed and then flip it.

An M1 Air is £900 (£120 gift card for 'back to school' offer.) or I can get one used off eBay for maybe ~£600.

Other question, the back to school offer lasts until mid October. Is that usually timed so a new model comes out just after it? Or is it a genuine, well everyone has been back in school for a month/it's almost Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Just curious, how much do MacBook Airs tend to deprecate? I'm running a late 2013 and it's starting to get frustratingly slow. I want the refreshed 14" but who knows when that will come out. One idea I'm thinking of is picking up a used base model M1 MacBook Air, use it until the 14" is refreshed and then flip it.

An M1 Air is £900 (£120 gift card for 'back to school' offer.) or I can get one used off eBay for maybe ~£600.

Other question, the back to school offer lasts until mid October. Is that usually timed so a new model comes out just after it? Or is it a genuine, well everyone has been back in school for a month/it's almost Christmas?

2013 MBA is insanely old, and very slow.

Back to school usually ends in September. It's just timed around summer. Mac models rarely launch in sept-jan