Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

2013 MBA is insanely old, and very slow.

Back to school usually ends in September. It's just timed around summer. Mac models rarely launch in sept-jan

a bunch of Macs have launched in the Fall over the past few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

prom candy posted:

I switched to fish from zsh on my new mac and I'm loving it

what are the big diffs you're loving? besides theming

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

a bunch of Macs have launched in the Fall over the past few years

I'd argue why wait. M1 macbook air is already good value and tons more compute than a macbook air from 2013.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s all true, OP. Also, the M2 MacBook Air is out with a 13.6” display. Looks nice, but an M1 would be a big upgrade too.

housefullofgarbage
Jan 16, 2019

The Summer of Garbage

Lady Radia posted:

The autocomplete in fish is top tier.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My 2015 Macbook Pro has a bulging battery, the lid no longer closes all the way, and the mac randomly turns off now. :v: Time to buy a new one? I am currently looking at the Macbook Air M2 model. The most i'm really going to use it for is web browsing, watching Twitch.tv, and music recording/production.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The base M2 MBA having worse SSD speeds than the bas M1 MBA makes buying and reselling it awkward. Also you probably will have to buy the M2 new and wait for it, so... Yeah. I'd go used M1 MBA to resell when the MBP you want comes out.

Also I'd be unsurprised if the M2 MBP doesn't come out this fall.

Edit: a used base M1 MBA is like $800-900 and a M2 MBA that isn't a compromise is $1400. It'll be better but not a PS5 better.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 12, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

anothergod posted:

The base M2 MBA having worse SSD speeds than the bas M1 MBA makes buying and reselling it awkward. Also you probably will have to buy the M2 new and wait for it, so... Yeah. I'd go used M1 MBA to resell when the MBP you want comes out.

Also I'd be unsurprised if the M2 MBP doesn't come out this fall.

Edit: a used base M1 MBA is like $800-900 and a M2 MBA that isn't a compromise is $1400. It'll be better but not a PS5 better.

not suggesting there aren’t cases where it’s an issue but would anyone in this thread besides bob otherwise have ever known about this

personally i do not see the value in anything this post suggests. who are you replying to because op said they want an mba which for the record would fit their needs superbly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

My 2015 Macbook Pro has a bulging battery, the lid no longer closes all the way, and the mac randomly turns off now. :v: Time to buy a new one? I am currently looking at the Macbook Air M2 model. The most i'm really going to use it for is web browsing, watching Twitch.tv, and music recording/production.

Uh definitely don’t use it anymore and I’d probably think about getting it out of the house.

The M2 would be perfect for what you need. Hell the M1 would be great too and probably a bit cheaper.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the SSDs, is that only an issue for the lower storage versions? I was wanting to get the 1TB version.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guy who only wants a 256GB SSD in his laptop and guy who cares about the SSD transfer speeds being 20% slower are Venn diagram circles on the opposite sides of the planet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For the SSDs, is that only an issue for the lower storage versions? I was wanting to get the 1TB version.

Honestly for your use case it really doesn’t matter tbh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly for your use case it really doesn’t matter tbh.

Good! Glad I asked, Youtube reviews made it seem like the SSD was the same as a 5400rpm hard drive. :v: To their credit they showed some good examples of why you shouldn't get the midnight black Air.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

American McGay posted:

Guy who only wants a 256GB SSD in his laptop and guy who cares about the SSD transfer speeds being 20% slower are Venn diagram circles on the opposite sides of the planet.

This. No one actively using a 2013 MBA is going to give a gently caress about the SSD speeds. Those speed differences will not effect daily use.

I said come in! posted:

Ignore the dude that said get it out of the house. That’s alarmist for no reason.

You can get it replaced by apple for $129. The cost of a third party battery than isn’t sketchy, and the tools to do it will be near that. I don’t recommend replacing the battery though.

I do recommend getting a m2 or m1 air. No huge benefit for you on the m2 if you can find a good price on the m1 at Costco or something.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For music production there maybe could be some consideration for the 14" MBP depending on what exactly you're doing. If you're already considering upping the M2 to 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SDD (or higher) it may not even be too much more and could be worth it in the long run. If the production is pretty casual and/or more focused on recording audio rather than running lots of hungry synth plugins (for instance), definitely just get the Air. For some workloads though, the extra performance cores from the 8 or 10 core Pros could be useful. Regardless, the Air will still be very solid and capable, much more so than the 2015 Pro, so if budget is an issue the Air will still be great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Ignore the dude that said get it out of the house. That’s alarmist for no reason.

:thunk:

Yeah I’m not sure you are are being serious or not because a bulging battery is a pretty big deal and definitely a fire hazard.

If you took the time to google it nearly every site acknowledges that it’s a fire hazard and should be dealt with as soon as possible.

Don’t keep bulging batteries in your house.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

:thunk:

Yeah I’m not sure you are are being serious or not because a bulging battery is a pretty big deal and definitely a fire hazard.

If you took the time to google it nearly every site acknowledges that it’s a fire hazard and should be dealt with as soon as possible.

Don’t keep bulging batteries in your house.

Do you have a source from a company that isn’t invested in people replacing swollen batteries, or from someone that doesn’t have a liability concern as they service these batteries?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/18/lithium-ion-battery-swelling-why/

These batteries are designed to swell. The likelihood that the package will rupture strictly due to swelling is very low. The product will become unusable due to damage to other components due to the expanded space before that happens.

They are at risk of popping if put under pressure. Even so, unless the battery has enough charge (which most batteries that swell due to age can’t hold that level of charge), they won’t be able to start a fire event. Dead batteries do not combust.

The most likely issue is if it pops breathing in the fumes, but they’ll dissipate quickly.

Should you get rid of it? Probably. But this is not a “run the product out today or it’ll burn your house down.” It can sit and even be used for a bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My laptop battery has been an issue for awhile now, and I’ve only started to care with my laptop started turning itself off randomly. Should I have cared much sooner? Probably! But since when has anyone here ever known me to make good decisions? :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is from the same article you linked

quote:

If you’ve found a swollen battery in your home, or a device containing one, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, do your best to stop using the battery or the product it’s inside. Don’t charge it again, either.
Some products, like cordless phones and certain cameras, make it easy to remove their rechargeable batteries. If you can safely do so, carefully remove the battery and store it in a fireproof container. If you don’t have one of those handy, Belton recommends dropping the battery into a bucket of sand. From there, you should contact a local battery recycling facility, which will know the best way to handle it.
But not every gadget in your life has a battery you can pop out yourself. If you discover a swelling battery in a product like that, contact the manufacturer for guidance. However, if you ultimately have to deal with it on your own, a battery facility should be able to help you figure out your next steps.

So no you definitely shouldn’t keep using a device with a swollen battery.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244846/what-to-do-when-your-phone-or-laptop-has-a-swollen-battery/amp/

quote:

Do Not Charge or Use the Device

Once you notice the battery is swollen or compromised in any way, you should immediately stop using the device. Turn the power off, and above all else, do not charge the device. Once the battery has reached such a point of failure that the battery is swollen, you must assume that all safety mechanisms in the battery are offline. Charging a swollen battery is literally asking for it to turn into an exploding ball of noxious flammable gas right in your living room.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“actually the swelling is fine” is the new “actually the display is a good value”

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

“actually the swelling is fine” is the new “actually the display is a good value”

No because one of those statements is correct and the other could lead to a house fire.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i had one of the fancy kindles a while back (voyage i think) and after two years the battery swole until the whole thing was bulging to at least double its original thickness and pushed the screen out enough that it looked like the surface of a sphere. the backlight spilled out of the case seam almost everywhere.

i contacted amazon support and sent them pictures to try to get it repaired or replaced (they don't offer anything like that, lol) and they told me if it was still turning on it was safe :shrug:

can't remember if this was before or after a bunch of samsung notes caught on fire and made national news. but anyway, it actually did work and most area of the touch screen was still functional like that which was pretty incredible, and i did use it a little bit in that state before eventually tossing it.

e: from googling, pretty sure amazon support tried to kill me, don’t use swollen batteries

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 12, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

No because one of those statements is correct and the other could lead to a house fire.

The display is terrible value, though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Please let's not get Ok Combover riled up about the Studio Display again

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Criss-cross posted:

The display is terrible value, though.

Given that there is exactly 1 5k 27” screen currently on the market it is by definition the best value screen for people who want that specific thing. The fact that it’s stunning in aesthetics and build quality and that it works flawlessly with a mac (which many do not) is just a bonus.

Edit: it’s not perfect. If it was capable of taking multiple inputs so you could plug both say your desktop and your laptop into it at the same time then it would be the perfect monitor and you’d never need or want to buy anything else.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 12, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s a terrible value compared to a 27” iMac which doesn’t exist anymore, so it’s just a not very good value now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Given that there is exactly 1 5k 27” screen currently on the market it is by definition the best value screen for people who want that specific thing. The fact that it’s stunning in aesthetics and build quality and that it works flawlessly with a mac (which many do not) is just a bonus.

best value by virtue of scarcity =/= good value

this is “a $50k Intel Mac Pro is the best value for anybody who wants a $50k Intel Mac Pro” logic

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Those kinds of justifications are like a pleasant warm breeze, making you feel at home in the Apple world. Like when people were trying to convince others that the trashcan mac pro was an amazing value, or that dumb dual-GPU setup would be justified by future performance gains through software optimization.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sometimes people want a specific thing or combination of things, or place different values on different criteria. Value is incredibly subjective. If you had two products that were literally identical apart from the price, then you could say that the more expensive one was poorer value. If the two products did the same thing to the same standard, but looked different, that’s enough to keep you from being able to say that the more expensive one is definitively poor value, because aesthetics are the most subjective criteria of all and people can and do assign a value to having something that they like the look of or that matches their other things.

If a product does what you want it to do better than other things, if you like the way it looks or feels, If it makes you happy to own and use, and you can afford it, then buy it; that product is the best value for You.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
You can still get LG 27 ultrafines though? Seems like it could be a better value depending on your priorities. I mean ideally they'd sell it without any speakers or webcam at all (I don't want those built into my monitor), and in a lot of contexts more brighness/nits isn't actually a good thing. So that just leaves... it's bulkier and uglier, maybe? Which, okay not that big a deal and not really worth the $300+.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

zachol posted:

You can still get LG 27 ultrafines though? Seems like it could be a better value depending on your priorities. I mean ideally they'd sell it without any speakers or webcam at all (I don't want those built into my monitor), and in a lot of contexts more brighness/nits isn't actually a good thing. So that just leaves... it's bulkier and uglier, maybe? Which, okay not that big a deal and not really worth the $300+.

When I was doing research prior to buying my Mac studio; it seemed that (at least here in Australia) the 27” LG had been discontinued. I’m happy to be corrected on this point. That being said I’d personally still get the studio display. The cost difference is AUD 2500 to about 1800; the LG is hideous, wobbly and poorly built, and was pretty notorious for quality and build issues, and had some jankiness to it. I’d rather spend a bit extra for the premium experience of owning a studio display (especially if you plan on relying on the built in speakers which I’m sure some people will but many won’t).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i admit i disconnect batteries when i see them start to swell but lol at panicking to get them out of the house. just don’t leave them around forever and you’ll be fine.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

mediaphage posted:

not suggesting there aren’t cases where it’s an issue but would anyone in this thread besides bob otherwise have ever known about this

personally i do not see the value in anything this post suggests. who are you replying to because op said they want an mba which for the record would fit their needs superbly

Someone was talking about buying a MBA to tide them over until the MBP comes out. I was pointing out the M2 MBA is not going to hold up in the resale market because 1) the base is bad 2) the one that isn't bad is $1400 which is at least 40% more expensive and less likely to get your money back. I should've been more specific that the M1 MBA would hold up its value.

And to whomever was saying that the base M2 MBA SSDs are only 20% worse lol. While the base M2 SSDs are not going to be tasked all the time, they're still 50% worse when in use, and on the base 8GB machine they'll be used for swap often. I'm using 15 chrome tabs and that's already 10GB of RAM. If all you can afford is the base get the M1 MBA and save your money.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lady Radia posted:

The autocomplete is really, really good

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)

American McGay posted:

compared to a 27” iMac which doesn’t exist anymore

i am absolutely content with my decision to buy a refurb 2020 spec'd out 5k imac shortly after getting discontinued :dong:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the biggest problem with the studio display is that it causes people to convince themselves that pixel count is the most important attribute of a monitor. give us high refresh, low response time monitors apple! please!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

the talent deficit posted:

the biggest problem with the studio display is that it causes people to convince themselves that pixel count is the most important attribute of a monitor. give us high refresh, low response time monitors apple! please!

The issue is that pixel count is important for macOS, but so is high refresh and low response time.

I don't think there's a single monitor that has them all atm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

zachol posted:

I have one of these, if I had to replace it I'd spend the $300 because:
1. They have bezel cracking issues, both bottom corners have cracked on mine
2. The stand has a lot of flex, unless you vesa mount it they shake a little bit if your desk gets bumped
3. Yellowing in the corners
4. Backlight isn't uniform
5. Support for non-Macs is a mess of add-on thunderbolt card, special cable, right videocard, and compromises
6. Sometimes it drops USB and you have to unplug it from the computer and plug it back in

Yeah, people can say what they want about not being able to see the difference between 4 and 5k but I can, especially if you put them next to each other. Shrug.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 12, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i have an old macbook that i want to buy a usb-c to magsafe2 cable for... does anyone have any experience with this? it's non 1st party so there will probably be some risk but looking to see.

also really pissed how shoddy apple's wire insulation is. i have one i bought probably ~3-4 years ago that barely gets used but is somehow now fraying more than my original charger i bought for my macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I see some really silly comments, and want to cover them.

Dude who has a swelling battery and does nothing (other than music production).

Get an m2 air. You’ll love it.

The 5k display is not for everyone. But it’s not a bad purchase if you care about pixel density. People saying it’s a bad purchase. Knock it off. It’s not for you. But for people who care, it’s good.

This is like saying that a Logitech keyboard is as good as a build your own mechanical keyboard. Technically they both do the same thing, but if you care, they’re really not. Most people would balk at spending $500-$1000 on a keyboard. But the person willing to drop that cash on an endgame thinks it’s a good value.