Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

the talent deficit posted:

the biggest problem with the studio display is that it causes people to convince themselves that pixel count is the most important attribute of a monitor. give us high refresh, low response time monitors apple! please!

It is. Pixel density is what makes monitors look good and nothing else is as important. I care a lot about pixel density but despite playing games have never cared at all about high refresh rate. I’d take it if it’s there but I’m not going to pick high refresh over high pixel density and at the moment it isn’ technically possible to have both - you can’t drive 5k120 over any currently existing cable. As for response time, that is even less relevant. Response time has been a solved problem in LCD displays for many years and we’ve all been gaming perfectly well on them for a long time. Some monitors are just bad, or have unusually poor response time because they are prioritising specific use cases at the expense of response time (the new 14 and 16” MacBook pros for eg) but for the vast majority of competently made monitors the response time is perfectly fine and the 99% of people who aren’t playing pro level counterstrike will never tell the difference, once you get past ‘good enough’ the rest is just masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

Most people would balk at spending $500-$1000 on a keyboard. But the person willing to drop that cash on an endgame thinks it’s a good value.
This is an extremely stupid way to discuss value.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

American McGay posted:

This is an extremely stupid way to discuss value.

Is it though?

Every single industry prices extremely high for the last 5% of gains you can squeeze out of hardcore enthusiasts and people with more money than sense.

Computer hardware, restaurants, audio equipment, televisions, cars, clothing, etc etc etc etc

gently caress even mobile games do that poo poo with IAP. A couple $1 options for plebs, and $100+ options for whales.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This goes back to my main point that in many product categories, value is an incredibly subjective thing. Sometimes it’s not - you can take a look at say, Intel’s current cpu lineup or Nadia’s gpu lineup and plot price vs performance and conclude that certain cpus or gpu are better value for money, but most things can’t be mathematically optimised for value in that way.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

This goes back to my main point that in many product categories, value is an incredibly subjective thing. Sometimes it’s not - you can take a look at say, Intel’s current cpu lineup or Nadia’s gpu lineup and plot price vs performance and conclude that certain cpus or gpu are better value for money, but most things can’t be mathematically optimised for value in that way.

And even within those markets, hardcore enthusiasts will buy stuff that makes no sense at all price/performance because they're in the top 1% of the hobby and are willing to spend to absolutely max performance.

(Ignoring current pricing), 3070 cards were around $750, and for a 10-25% increase in performance 3080 base cards were around $1000-1100 for the most part. 3090Tis were generally at $2k-$2.5k for ~10% increase in performance, maybe 20% at maximum. 3090Tis were still being sold out.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

BlackMK4 posted:

3. Yellowing in the corners
4. Backlight isn't uniform

Ew, what? Those sound like ridiculous dealbreakers. I've been rolling my eyes at comments about the LG being "ugly" just because it's a big black plastic lump, but if the actual screen has those kinds of problems that's really disappointing.
I thought the point was it was just the same imac panel but repackaged? I guess it must be using a different lovely backlight?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

typin circles around the other programmers at work thanks to my hand assembled keyboard *cracks knuckles*

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like my special, expensive keyboards because they help prevent or slowdown the onset of RSI and also make it more comfortable to navigate around documents with their unique layouts.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kibner posted:

I like my special, expensive keyboards because they help prevent or slowdown the onset of RSI and also make it more comfortable to navigate around documents with their unique layouts.

Jokes aside it was actually diving into the Keyboard world that solved my RSI issues. But yes. The current trend is 65% keyboards that are expensive, and then buying a macro pad that’s also expensive to make up for the keys you lost, because it’s both aesthetically more pleasing and people have “small desks” lol.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LionArcher posted:

Jokes aside it was actually diving into the Keyboard world that solved my RSI issues. But yes. The current trend is 65% keyboards that are expensive, and then buying a macro pad that’s also expensive to make up for the keys you lost, because it’s both aesthetically more pleasing and people have “small desks” lol.

Yeah, me, too. Now my joint pain has remained the same over the last 10+ years instead of progressively getting worse. lol

I only like 65% keyboards when I travel and need a better-than-laptop keyboard with me. I don't like my wrist placement with them for long-term use. I'm currently super excited for the Kinesis Advantage 360 Professional. Basically my favorite keyboard layout but with fully split modules, tenting, and wireless. Literally the only thing it doesn't have on my wishlist is swappable switches.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Placed my order for my Macbook Air M2, and then realized I got the wrong color, the Midnight Black :negative: don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful looking color, but every review says to avoid it because it scratches easily, and gets finger prints on it like crazy.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

get some posting gloves, problem solved

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I said come in! posted:

Placed my order for my Macbook Air M2, and then realized I got the wrong color, the Midnight Black :negative: don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful looking color, but every review says to avoid it because it scratches easily, and gets finger prints on it like crazy.

this thread already decided that Midnight Black is literally the only respectable reason to go with the M2 Air over M1

you didn’t make a mistake, it was the Shining

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So my boss wanted me to price out a new laptop setup for him with an external monitor. He is the kind of person that just wants the larger monitor and doesn't need high quality, necessarily.

With the MacBook Air M2, it seems like this Dell2722QC 27” 4K Monitor does DisplayPort Alt Mode, and can deliver 65W of power over this Thunderbolt 3 cable. So... if the computer has a 35W charger, it shouldn't be a thing where the laptop drains faster than it can charge when connected, right?

I see that the Air M2 is compatible with "Fast-charge capable with 67W USB-C Power Adapter", so the monitor should basically max out that fast charging as well right?

The goal would be that he has his workstation, plugs in the monitor cable and doesn't need to take the power adapter with him, and then the second USB-C port would be used with an SSD drive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Astro7x posted:

So my boss wanted me to price out a new laptop setup for him with an external monitor. He is the kind of person that just wants the larger monitor and doesn't need high quality, necessarily.

With the MacBook Air M2, it seems like this Dell2722QC 27” 4K Monitor does DisplayPort Alt Mode, and can deliver 65W of power over this Thunderbolt 3 cable. So... if the computer has a 35W charger, it shouldn't be a thing where the laptop drains faster than it can charge when connected, right?

I see that the Air M2 is compatible with "Fast-charge capable with 67W USB-C Power Adapter", so the monitor should basically max out that fast charging as well right?

The goal would be that he has his workstation, plugs in the monitor cable and doesn't need to take the power adapter with him, and then the second USB-C port would be used with an SSD drive.

No need for extra thunderbolt cables, the included usb cable will do fine to provide what you ask for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

this thread already decided that Midnight Black is literally the only respectable reason to go with the M2 Air over M1

you didn’t make a mistake, it was the Shining

I'll just be very careful with handling it, and get a case for it I think. Now to wait three weeks for the delivery. That is the current turn around time to get a custom ordered laptop from Apples website.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

anothergod posted:

And to whomever was saying that the base M2 MBA SSDs are only 20% worse lol. While the base M2 SSDs are not going to be tasked all the time, they're still 50% worse when in use, and on the base 8GB machine they'll be used for swap often. I'm using 15 chrome tabs and that's already 10GB of RAM. If all you can afford is the base get the M1 MBA and save your money.

The M2 MBA is half speed only when measured by throughput. Its latency is still fine, and for many tasks (notably including swapping) latency's at least as important.

The "OMG M2 SSD SLOW" clickbait shitters you've been channeling generally based their stories on numbers generated by Blackmagic Design's Disk Speed Test app. While it's easy for them to download and run, it's not a good general purpose SSD benchmarking tool. It's designed to answer one extremely narrow question, something which users of Blackmagic Design apps tend to care about : Is throughput good enough for real-time video recording and playback work using a given video codec and resolution?

Finally, you seem to think it's foolish to buy a base M2 Air because the SSD's going to hurt its resale value. But average computer buyers neither know nor care about this. They care a lot more about the things they can see, like the bigger screen, so I tend to doubt that base spec M2 Airs are going to have awful resale value just because of the great SSD speed freakout of 2022.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m guessing the M2 pro doesn’t have the speed “issue”?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m guessing the M2 pro doesn’t have the speed “issue”?

No, because it starts at 512 GB storage, side-stepping the issue.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

zachol posted:

Ew, what? Those sound like ridiculous dealbreakers. I've been rolling my eyes at comments about the LG being "ugly" just because it's a big black plastic lump, but if the actual screen has those kinds of problems that's really disappointing.
I thought the point was it was just the same imac panel but repackaged? I guess it must be using a different lovely backlight?

Just because it is the same panel doesn't mean it'll perform to the Apple spec, unfortunately.

I like it, but I'd have spent the extra for the Apple display if it'd been available at the time. I try to follow the buy once cry once thing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kibner posted:

No, because it starts at 512 GB storage, side-stepping the issue.

Yeah, if you're buying the M2 Air, you just need to be aware that if the speed issue is a problem for you, then you need to get the 512GB or 1TB models, then you're good.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Quinn as usual being the voice of reason, absolutely nailed the macbook air review.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The order in which I'd spec up a M2 MBA

Drive >> RAM > GPU

I still don't think the M2 MBAs will have very good resale value. The higher specced machines are the ones that lose value faster, and the M2 needs to be specced above base to not lose you anything.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's a sea of suckers out there you can pass it onto when you're done, but I'd bet most of those suckers are gamers and/or don't care that it comes in black and/or is the newest greatest. I would bet the M3 Air will come out and fix all the SSD issue altogether.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I’m the jerk who bought a studio display today. I’d considered it for a while, and the local apple store had the base model in-stock, so I decided to go for it.

My work-issued monitor is a 27” 1440p dell thing and it’s a piece of crap. I also have a 15 year old apple 23” display which is somehow nicer quality, but low res and overdue for retirement.

I do a lot of writing for work, and also need to spend time in a terminal and occasionally coding. The sharper text of a proper 5k display was the main selling point for me, and the monitor delivers. The screen looks really, really good. I can actually feel less eye strain when staring at it.

I’ve also been able to get rid of my separate webcam and speakers and their associated wire mess. The camera isn’t remarkable but it looks totally fine. The speakers are surprisingly good. They have a deep, punchy bass.

Also, it’s just such a _nice thing_. It looks good on a desk in a room where I spend a lot of time. The casing is solid. It doesn’t look like a piece of poo poo, and it isn’t.

Is it worth the price? Eh… seems expensive overall - it costs more than it should. $800-$1000 seems like it would be more fair. But, I still bought it anyways, and I’m probably going to keep it. Not having seen a XDR, it’s the nicest monitor/package I’ve seen.

gently caress you Tim apple.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have a 2018 i9 MBP that I'm starting to get really tired of. The battery is at about 67% capacity and falling, the thing throttles to 1 GHz whenever I do things that put a heavy load on the CPU (like use Eclipse lol), the fans spin up for any/no reason, and the whole thing runs really really hot. All of those things make the ARM-based Pro sound like a slam dunk to me. Initially I wanted to hold out for the 16" M2 Pro, but with the latest rumors not expecting those until 2023 I'm starting to get impatient. Should I give in and get an M1 Pro or just deal with it until Fall 2023 (or longer)?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao again who is a sucker for buying a macbook air at this point

nobody cares about this poo poo except for nerds

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The SSD speed thing is really a non-issue for most users. The benchmarked speeds you see thrown around are for large, single file transfers. Outside of some video editing workloads, that almost never actually matters. Even when transferring large files, unless you're transferring to an equally fast SSD over a capable interface, you're likely bottlenecked by some other aspect of the transfer (e.g. the flash drive, SD card, USB3, network connection, slower SSD etc). It mainly comes up when loading into RAM for very specific workloads where the user is likely aware of their need for this sort of storage speed (and also not typically what people buy Airs to do).

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wait are people here saying the $1200 base M2 MBA is a good buy compared to a $850 M1 MBA?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

anothergod posted:

Wait are people here saying the $1200 base M2 MBA is a good buy compared to a $850 M1 MBA?

no i think the thread's take is that the $850 is a way better value but if midnight black is what you need you wont be upset at the M2

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

anothergod posted:

i think it's mostly a response to the m2 is a worthless brick for suckers because of fatal ssd flaws

i'd argue there are reasons to buy the m2 mba but they're not related to performance, probably

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I have the M2 Air. It’s great. The M1 probably would be too, but after not buying a new laptop for 12 years, it seemed worth the extra couple hundred dollars. There may also come a time that a new OS requires an M2-series processor, or maybe not.

I am aware that I could have gotten last year’s model cheaper. I (and apparently others, since the M2 remains a few weeks out for delivery) still chose the new one. It’s dumb to declare that one option or the other is empirically correct.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

carry on then posted:

I have a 2018 i9 MBP that I'm starting to get really tired of. The battery is at about 67% capacity and falling, the thing throttles to 1 GHz whenever I do things that put a heavy load on the CPU (like use Eclipse lol), the fans spin up for any/no reason, and the whole thing runs really really hot. All of those things make the ARM-based Pro sound like a slam dunk to me. Initially I wanted to hold out for the 16" M2 Pro, but with the latest rumors not expecting those until 2023 I'm starting to get impatient. Should I give in and get an M1 Pro or just deal with it until Fall 2023 (or longer)?

the m1 pro is great, and i kinda doubt the m2 refresh is gonna add that much value. it will have a cpu and gpu bump (and probably a price bump), but i'd guess everything else remains pretty much the same. they aren't gonna do a significant redesign so soon.

i traded my 2018 15" pro in for an m1 14" pro a few weeks ago and it's been an incredible difference. i'm back to using the laptop on the couch or in bed again because it's not too hot and loud to use as a portable machine. i've even been able to play some simple games on it for an hour in bed without cooking myself a couple nights now. haven't even heard the fan on it yet.

now that it's a year old there are also decent discounts on the m1 pros. got mine new for $300 off the apple store price from a bestbuy sale.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, outside of performance differences you're getting the updated chassis, mag safe, updated webcam (1080p vs 720p), 4-speaker setup instead of the old 2 speaker design, slightly larger screen, faster charging, better headphone jack and a brighter screen as well. All together, along with the performance bumps, that could be worth while for some people. A lot of those features are things you previously had to jump up to a 14" MBP to get (especially the new webcam, new speakers, mag safe and fast charging). At the $200 MSRP difference I'd definitely get an M2 Air over the M1 Air personally. But with retailers discounting the M1s, that makes the choice harder as it's then like a $400+ difference instead. Some people planning on keeping it for a long time may want some of those new features even for the greater price difference, but others will be happy saving the money now and upgrading much sooner.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah if i were buying one now and the money wasn't a hardship id absolutely get the second gen. i do not have to minmax my once a decade computer purchases so resale value is literally something i never think about

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BobHoward posted:

The "OMG M2 SSD SLOW" clickbait shitters you've been channeling generally based their stories on numbers generated by Blackmagic Design's Disk Speed Test app. While it's easy for them to download and run, it's not a good general purpose SSD benchmarking tool. It's designed to answer one extremely narrow question, something which users of Blackmagic Design apps tend to care about : Is throughput good enough for real-time video recording and playback work using a given video codec and resolution?

The M2 apparently does 1,500 MB/s compared to M1 2,900 MB/s

If you're editing video, who is spending $800 for an internal SSD? You're getting an external drive, so those internal speeds are kind of irrelevant.

A 2TB Samsung T7 is going to cost $200 and get you 1000 MB/s
A 2TB SanDisk Extreme PRO costs $270 and gets you 2000 MB/s, 4TB costs you $540.
A 2TB G-Technology Mobile Pro costs $900 and gets you 2,800 MB/s

I'd personally save the money and get the Samsung T7. I've been working off of one for a project right now, it's fine.

4K ProRes4444 is like 40 MB/s, so what is the problem anyway

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 13, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah the ssd speed thing, while a downgrade, doesn't matter. in my PC i barely notice any difference between my old SATA 6 SSD and the gen3 pcie SSD i upgraded to despite it getting benchmark scores 5x higher.

how often are you transferring files that are 10s of GB around, especially on a system with only 256 GB of storage? you won't notice any difference at all for loading games, apps, projects, etc.

the only real argument about the m2 air vs m1 air is whether you should just buy the significantly cheaper m1 because it's already good enough for anything you'd do with a computer aside from gaming or very intense processing.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 13, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know about the SSDs but I just came here to say that I still don't understand why they named everything such that there is both an M1 Macbook Pro and an M1 Pro Macbook Pro (although I guess the M1 Pro is gone in favour of the M2 Pro so we're good until the M2 Pro Pro hits).

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

carry on then posted:

I swapped my 2019 i9 16” for an M1 16” and have absolutely zero regrets it’s quiet, fast, the screen is crazy good, the keyboard is great. There’s always going to be something on the horizon.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fedule posted:

I don't know about the SSDs but I just came here to say that I still don't understand why they named everything such that there is both an M1 Macbook Pro and an M1 Pro Macbook Pro (although I guess the M1 Pro is gone in favour of the M2 Pro so we're good until the M2 Pro Pro hits).

The theory is a) they still have old 13" TB MBP enclosures on hand that they want to sell, and/or b) they still want a "Pro" to exist to occupy that old 13" MBP price point for people or IT departments that think they need a "Pro" rather than an Air but don't want to spend $2k for a 14" because they/their users actually would be fine with with an Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Splinter posted:

The theory is a) they still have old 13" TB MBP enclosures on hand that they want to sell, and/or b) they still want a "Pro" to exist to occupy that old 13" MBP price point for people or IT departments that think they need a "Pro" rather than an Air but don't want to spend $2k for a 14" because they/their users actually would be fine with with an Air.

if you don't care too much about the extra 110 grams, you also got a brighter screen, maybe better idk, better speakers, etter mics, more than 10% more battery, and you also get an ac adapter that's twice the wattage. you also "get" a touchbar.

it's not a tradeoff i'd make, but i think there's probably also a reasonable niche to occupy

anyway i definitely can't imagine doing it over an m2 air at this point