Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I got my macbook back with the fixed screen and now it connects to 5ghz wifi but not 2.4ghz wifi. Is it possible the technician forgot to plug all of the antennas in when it was being reassembled? Same symptoms occur if I boot it into windows.

Can you try connecting/using bluetooth devices? If it works it's some glitch of sorts, if it doesn't the 2,4ghz antenna is not connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T Zero posted:

Looks like the Apple store is offering a $250 gift card for new laptops over Black Friday weekend. As far as I know that's the best deal on current gen from any major retailer.

I wonder if you could use the card to buy Apple care.

eh too bad you can't just use it on the product as I don't need anything else from them

is it transferrable? i might do it it someone wants to buy the gc for me at a discount (not sure if this kind of post is allowed here tho)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

eh too bad you can't just use it on the product as I don't need anything else from them

is it transferrable? i might do it it someone wants to buy the gc for me at a discount (not sure if this kind of post is allowed here tho)

Yeah in the past it's just been a regular old gift card. I used the one my dad got on some AirPods.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah in the past it's just been a regular old gift card. I used the one my dad got on some AirPods.

it looks like i can get just over 200 if I sell it to cardcash. any reason there would be a hiccup with that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

it looks like i can get just over 200 if I sell it to cardcash. any reason there would be a hiccup with that?

Unless things have changed it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I really don't think they've changed how they do their gift cards. If you go in store they give you a physical gift card to walk out with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

actionjackson posted:

T Zero posted:

I think that's actually what it does by default if you use their installment plan, if I am reading this correctly.

quote:

Customers shall receive a discount equal to the value of the Promotion Product (depending on their purchase) off the price of the Eligible Product, but will be charged for all items in their cart. Important notice regarding the checkout receipt and monthly statement for Apple Card Monthly Installment (ACMI) purchases with this promotion: A purchase of an Eligible Product made when selecting ACMI (a 0% APR payment option available only in the U.S.) as the payment type at checkout will receive an instant credit equal to the cost of the Promotion Product (Apple Gift Card) deducted from the price of the Eligible Product at the time of purchase. You will be charged one ACMI installment plan for the Eligible Product discounted by the instant credit.

Seems like you can just apply the credit to the product

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is that just if you pay with an apple card?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Is that just if you pay with an apple card?

IDK, but Apple Card appears to have replaced the old installment pay system they had

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK, but Apple Card appears to have replaced the old installment pay system they had

so I can't just pay with my regular credit card, I must be misunderstanding

or is that fine as long as I do the installment plan

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 21, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

so I can't just pay with my regular credit card, I must be misunderstanding

or is that fine as long as I do the installment plan

I think you have to sign up for the card to do installments, like a lot of store credit cards (Home Despot, etc)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

alright thanks, i'll prob just sell the gift card then and also trade in my current mba

do you get more trade-in credit when you use it to buy a new mac compared to the gift card option?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Should be the same either way

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple's trade-in values are pretty laughable nowadays - they want to give me $255 for a $2k 2018 13" MacBook Pro that regularly sells for $800+ on eBay.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

Apple's trade-in values are pretty laughable nowadays - they want to give me $255 for a $2k 2018 13" MacBook Pro that regularly sells for $800+ on eBay.

i have a core i5 1.8 13" mba from 2017 and they offered 125 lol

though i'm very weary of selling electronics to individual buyers. if i sold it on CL i'd prob do $300 and then get knifed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

actionjackson posted:

i have a core i5 1.8 13" mba from 2017 and they offered 125 lol

though i'm very weary of selling electronics to individual buyers. if i sold it on CL i'd prob do $300 and then get knifed

They're just as afraid of you knifing them for the cash. Just say e-transfer/paypal is fine. Meet them at a Starbucks if you really feel you need a public space.

Also i recommend fb marketplace, the people there aren't as loving stupid

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 22, 2022

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I've used https://www.macofalltrades.com/ a few times, they're not as good price-wise as ebay (or I assume selling locally) but are in the ballpark and have been no hassle and give instant quotes

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Apple just recently nuked a bunch of their trade in values across various product lines, so it's probably completely eliminated that as an effective option, and why some are seeing such low potential offers.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does the apple card 3% off stack with the 250 BF credit if you use the card and pay in installments?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here used the continuity camera thing?

I thought it was only an AS thing but apparently updating my MacMini to Ventura added the feature.

Except like every modern apple feature there are no settings for this and it’s supposed to ‘just work’ which it did once.

So both the phone and the mac are on the same wifi and after trying it once the only way to get it to come up is by plugging it in physically.

Although I think i prefer my MacBooks crappier webcam because I hate looking at myself in that and seeing even more detail makes it worse.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh apparently the BF event is UP TO 250 those tricky bastards. it's 150 on the m2.

does anyone happen to know if the the compact adapter will take up less "plugs" on a power strip than the default one? i just really want to know the length of these two blue lines

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Just bought my first macbook air in nine years.

Kinda interesting to compare the specs then and now. Surprisingly little in the way of cost inflation.

The 2013 version came out to $1450 after taxes while the new one is about $1700 ($1550 if you include the $150 gift card).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

actionjackson posted:

oh apparently the BF event is UP TO 250 those tricky bastards. it's 150 on the m2.

does anyone happen to know if the the compact adapter will take up less "plugs" on a power strip than the default one? i just really want to know the length of these two blue lines

The compact is 1 15/16" on that blue line if my ruler is correct.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

phosdex posted:

oh sweet thank you

is there no single plug option like with my current adapter? it's got that boxy thing, but then a cord goes from that to a single wall plug

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

T Zero posted:

Just bought my first macbook air in nine years.

Kinda interesting to compare the specs then and now. Surprisingly little in the way of cost inflation.

The 2013 version came out to $1450 after taxes while the new one is about $1700 ($1550 if you include the $150 gift card).

You done good

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

Americans and their measurement units, Jesus Christ.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Criss-cross posted:

sorry 3.72 furlongs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He was great in Terminator 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pet Semetary 2 is underrated

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He was great in Terminator 2

lol

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

if you’re desperate, you can pull the prongs off most apple adapters and replace them with a figure-8 power cord

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Criss-cross posted:

It's bigger in person I swear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hypnophant posted:

if you’re desperate, you can pull the prongs off most apple adapters and replace them with a figure-8 power cord

or you could just like replace them with a $19 compact ANKER brick, but you do you

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

or you could just like replace them with a $19 compact ANKER brick, but you do you

I didn’t think anker made a 35w two-port brick that still only takes up one outlet on a power strip

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hypnophant posted:

I didn’t think anker made a 35w two-port brick that still only takes up one outlet on a power strip

ugreen barely does if you are that disperate for spare outlets

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Does this power strip have the plugs facing a stupid way? Can you get a $10 power strip with the plugs rotated 90 degrees?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

regarding the trade in value chat from a day or two ago: you can check out other retailers with trade in programs. i traded my 2018 mbp into bestbuy instead of apple and got a couple hundred bucks more than apple offered. it wasn't as much as i could've gotten on swappa, but much lower effort and less likely to get scammed.

it's usually store credit you get for trade ins, but if you're buying an apple product, bestbuy will sell it too and also runs better sales.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crazy good deal at B&H on an M1 MBA for Cyber Monday

Apple Macbook Air Laptop (Late 2020 Model): M1 Chip, 13.3", 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM
$1199

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1604841-REG/apple_z125_mgn7_05_bh_13_3_macbook_air_with.html

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Some time ago I recall hearing that an M1 Macbook Pro couldn't drive two external USB-C screens. Could an M2 13" Macbook Pro drive two external USB-C screens, each at 2560x1440?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No that’s a Pro and Max feature for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Some time ago I recall hearing that an M1 Macbook Pro couldn't drive two external USB-C screens. Could an M2 13" Macbook Pro drive two external USB-C screens, each at 2560x1440?

I don't think so. Just one still: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/specs/