Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Warbird posted:

The fan thing is just to drum up interest in investors for that fan company and isn't intended to be taken at face value. I read up on them some months ago and what they have is really interesting, though as one goon mentioned I'm interested to see what the power consumption tradeoff is vs your average fan. In terms of volume of air moved vs volume taken by fan it is extremely impressive; you can really pump air out of the things.

i think itís very interesting as a tech solution to be honest and has a number of avenues forward in terms of cooling chips

i think some of the blog posts about it are dumb tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol youíre so different from that guy now

Well Iím 36 now, and Iíve learned how to spend within my means (it was a long, difficult course of study, I think taking out a car loan in 2014 and spending half my income for 5 years repaying it was what finally made the lesson sink in) and I spend my money on elegant brushed metal Apple products and handmade Japanese kitchen knives and bespoke tailoring instead which is far more socially acceptable than ridiculous gaming rigs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mediaphage posted:

i think some of the blog posts about it are dumb tho

this is a fundamental truth of the universe with respect to basically any conceivable subject.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This deal is back if anyone is in the market

https://computers.woot.com/offers/a...=Slickdeals+LLC

Itís a fantastic machine for the price.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MarcusSA posted:

The only issue is that it is two generations behind and will fall out of support two years faster than an M3 Pro.

Still worth it at that price.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Koramei posted:

So coming from 128g in a desktop (admittedly overkill) 8 sounds like it might not even be able to open the Adobe Suite, but is the RAM allocation done a lot more efficiently or something?

Android and .NET Windows applications probably do use memory less efficiently than native iOS/macOS apps, because those platforms manage memory with garbage collection (GC) while Apple platforms use reference counting. GC has many benefits, but it does waste memory. There's always garbage (memory that needs to be deallocated, but hasn't been yet) piling up.

That said, a byte is a byte. Apple can't work miracles here. You can't count on this to make heavy duty professional apps need dramatically less RAM. (In turn, their RAM use is often driven by the size of the projects you work on, not by the app itself.)

quote:

I've been leaning towards the 14" M3 Max 14/30 that defaults to 36GB of RAM; on a windows laptop that'd have me nervous (but $800 to upgrade to 96GB there is a bit eye popping) but maybe it'll be enough here, or is more leeway recommended still? Weirdly the 16/40 M3 Max option for 14" offers 64GB that ends up coming out to less when picked together than just going for crazy RAM on the other processor. But I saw some comments about potential thermal throttling on the 16/40; that the 14/30 might just be about equivalent anyway?

I'm getting the vibe that you just max out Windows machines because it's relatively cheap? If so, 36 might be enough, but you might want to bump up to M3 Max with 48 or 64.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the 40-core GPU Max in the 14" chassis. You do need the 16" chassis to get the most out of that chip, but you also have to push the machine extremely hard with simultaneous all-core CPU and GPU load for it to really matter. For most people the downside of the 14" chassis isn't less performance than the 16", it's more fan noise during heavy workloads.

quote:

Oh neat, I did not know the M3 had that capability. Have there been any murmors about future plans for Apple Silicon? I guess I should spend some more time looking at benchmarks here too; still kind of confused by just how different the Pro/Max are.

Yeah, M3's GPU has Apple's first implementation of hardware raytracing acceleration. You can do raytracing using the same Metal APIs on M1 and M2, but on those GPUs they do a key piece of raytracing (intersection) with GPU compute shaders instead of the new hardware ray intersection block in the M3 GPU.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

MarcusSA posted:

Such a great deal if you need or want the larger size and power.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MarcusSA posted:

The 512 GB models are as cheap as I was seeing 8-core 512 GB 14" refurbs this past week, and the 1TB model is < $50 less than what I just paid for a 10-core 1TB 14" refurb. Amazing prices. If only I wasn't set on the 14" form factor for my personal laptop.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

You might also like √ʬĬúHow To Become a Macichne Leainig Influencer in Three Easy Steps√ʬĬĚ
I really could have waited a week and saved $150

Impatience wins again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did say this deal would be back soon!

Its a great machine and I love the screen.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Penisaurus Sex posted:

There's not really any reason to buy an Air if you can easily afford a Pro*, IMO.

*: Full M3 Pro, the 'base' model is still a bad call.

Bits of metal spinning around at high speed in a computer sounds pretty barbarous to me.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

a man in a Focus RS gave me a 'thumbs up' today

salartarium posted:

Bits of metal spinning around at high speed in a computer sounds pretty barbarous to me.

sounds like you need to step up and master the (fan) blade

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

Riven posted:

Yeah I tried to give my 2018 16Ē w discrete GPU to my son to start learning how to mod Minecraft and we spun up Minecraft and IntelliJ and the keyboard got too hot for him to use. I may buy him an Air next year if he keeps showing interest.

Just be aware that the M2 Air does get pretty hot when under a sustained load for a long period of time so depending on how intensive the work you're doing is you may want to get him a laptop with a fan. I was playing BG3 a few times with my Air docked and it gets very hot. YMMV though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

BobHoward posted:

I'm getting the vibe that you just max out Windows machines because it's relatively cheap? If so, 36 might be enough, but you might want to bump up to M3 Max with 48 or 64.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the 40-core GPU Max in the 14" chassis. You do need the 16" chassis to get the most out of that chip, but you also have to push the machine extremely hard with simultaneous all-core CPU and GPU load for it to really matter. For most people the downside of the 14" chassis isn't less performance than the 16", it's more fan noise during heavy workloads.

I do pretty intensive work on my desktop (photorealistic environments) -- admittedly I'm not sure I've ever hit 128 gigs, but I push 64 regularly enough. The macbook's for a different use case though really; the heaviest stuff will be showcasing (but not much rendering) projects on 3D apps and occasional lengthly Unity builds, and I'm fine if the latter isn't at absolute peak speed as long as it doesn't adversely affect the system to be put under that kind of load. That said on reflection hardware raytracing would be a dumb thing to pass up for me.

Sounds like the 14" should be a great fit; I'll spend a bit more time pondering RAM, I guess I could stand to pay more attention to how much I'm actually using day to day.

Thanks a lot for all the help, to you and everyone else!

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 29, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Not sure if anyone here would be interested, but if you have a qualifying education or government discount with Samsung, they have the ViewFinity S9 on sale on their online store currently that, with discounts, brings it down to $899.99.

I think there are still a number of weird bugs and quirks with it, but $899.99 is a pretty drat good price for a 27" 5K monitor with multiple inputs, especially since it's a Studio knockoff that does have height adjustment, rotate, and matte display also included. If you have never used their app before, you can get an extra $25 off by ordering through the app.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Oh drat. I do occasional substitute teaching for my sonís school and have a district employee email. Wonder if I could swing thatÖ

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I bet as long as it ends in .edu or something education related, it would qualify!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drat it, Iíve already spent so much on gifts or Iíd be all over that