Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«911 »
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Can't you just use the real nVidia/AMD driver instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flosofl
Feb 28, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Can't you just use the real nVidia/AMD driver instead?

I don't know about now, but it used to be that the dgpu used in Macs had their own HW ID unique to Mac. And Windows drivers would not recognize them. But now that think on it, that was more of an AMD/ATI thing than Nvidia.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I don't know about cards, but, uh, I think these four-fives beat a full house.

flosofl posted:

I don't know about now, but it used to be that the dgpu used in Macs had their own HW ID unique to Mac. And Windows drivers would not recognize them. But now that think on it, that was more of an AMD/ATI thing than Nvidia.

Bootcamp on my maxed out 2015 MacBook Pro 15 inch has the AMD software but it doesn't update because it gives an error about not having the correct hardware. So I guess this is still the same?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008

What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss?

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm happy to boot into windows when needed to play a game. I don't have the space for a seperate PC.

I created a 300GB partition on my 2011 iMac for pretty much this purpose, but found I hardly ever use it. I haven't booted into the PC side (it runs Windows 7) in at least 8 months. I know if I do it will be a real PITA to wait through all the updates, many of which will fail anyway, so gently caress Windows.

Anyone know if I can reclaim that 300GB partition for OS X without having to back up first and simply repartition to one volume without worrying I'll destroy my existing OS X data? I'm still running Yosemite and using its better Disk Utility app, the one Apple really poo poo the bed with in El Capitan and beyond.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 20:33

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For an excellent introduction to the role-playing hobby I would certainly recommend 5th Edition D&D. A superb starting point is the Mines of Phandelver module which comes included with the Starter Set.

That also includes all the rules you'll need in a single, well-presented box!

Anton Chigurh posted:

I created a 300GB partition on my 2011 iMac for pretty much this purpose, but found I hardly ever use it. I haven't booted into the PC side (it runs Windows 7) in at least 8 months. I know if I do it will be a real PITA to wait through all the updates, many of which will fail anyway, so gently caress Windows.

Anyone know if I can reclaim that 300GB partition for OS X without having to back up and repartition to one volume? I'm still running Yosemite and using its better Disk Utility app, the one Apple really poo poo the bed with in El Capitan and beyond.

Yeah, you should be able to delete the Windows partition and just expand your HFS+ one to fill the space.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SourKraut posted:

No, I'll still blame Apple: if they'd get their head out of their rear end and make amends with nVidia, then they could be using Maxwell- and Pascal- based GPUs with full hardware acceleration for VP9. I think part of the bigger issue is that VP9 was developed by Google and we know how the Apple-Google relationship goes...

even with the increased perf/watt in pascal i doubt they'd stick it in the 13" MBP to be fair. it is a very apple thing to not just eat a slice of humble pie and try to reconcile with nvidia to actually make a better product though

not supporting vp9 in safari at this point is probably edging on the side of corporate fuckery at this point, but considering the majority of macs out there are still running pre-skylake CPUs i'd still argue it's a positive result

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

I'd like to know more about how graphics card drivers work on Macs, both Nvidia and Amd; both when in MacOS and when using bootcamp. It looks as though gigabyte's new external GPU enclosure (which comes with a gtx1070) will work with any thunderbolt 3 computer - that would solve the issue of weak GPU's perfectly well. I've been doing some cursory research on the subject, and from what I can tell, up till now, an external GPU like this would work fine in windows, but not in MacOS. I'd be fine with using bootcamp on the occasions where I want to play a demanding game. I'm also reading that the upcoming version of MacOS will add support for external GPUs - Does anyone know if this support will be limited to specific apple made enclosures. If I knew I could put an Nvidia GPU in an external enclosure, and have it work with an iMac I'd make the switch in a heartbeat, even if it only worked when I was booted into windows.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

Legendary cocksmith.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd like to know more about how graphics card drivers work on Macs, both Nvidia and Amd; both when in MacOS and when using bootcamp. It looks as though gigabyte's new external GPU enclosure (which comes with a gtx1070) will work with any thunderbolt 3 computer - that would solve the issue of weak GPU's perfectly well. I've been doing some cursory research on the subject, and from what I can tell, up till now, an external GPU like this would work fine in windows, but not in MacOS. I'd be fine with using bootcamp on the occasions where I want to play a demanding game. I'm also reading that the upcoming version of MacOS will add support for external GPUs - Does anyone know if this support will be limited to specific apple made enclosures. If I knew I could put an Nvidia GPU in an external enclosure, and have it work with an iMac I'd make the switch in a heartbeat, even if it only worked when I was booted into windows.

It has been possible to get eGPUs working on MacOS, but it's hacky as hell and likely not worth the bother. My understanding is that support in High Sierra is there for any eGPU enclosure using a compatible Thunderbolt 3 chipset and given that Apple are currently offering a Sonnet eGPU and Radeon card to developers for $599, it would suggest that Apple have no interest in building their own enclosures. Even though the eGPUs will work in MacOS, uptake of Metal has been pretty slow in what few MacOS games are out there and I wouldn't hold my breath on Metal 2 gaining ubiquity, well, ever. It would be nice to see Vulkan make an appearance in High Sierra because Apple seem to be making a push towards VR on the Mac (along with that $599 eGPU bundle, Apple are also offering developers discounted HTC Vives), but I just don't see why any developers beyond porting houses would bother to give more than a cursory gently caress about a graphics API that is limited to one OS and isn't called DirectX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

Theophany posted:

It has been possible to get eGPUs working on MacOS, but it's hacky as hell and likely not worth the bother. My understanding is that support in High Sierra is there for any eGPU enclosure using a compatible Thunderbolt 3 chipset and given that Apple are currently offering a Sonnet eGPU and Radeon card to developers for $599, it would suggest that Apple have no interest in building their own enclosures. Even though the eGPUs will work in MacOS, uptake of Metal has been pretty slow in what few MacOS games are out there and I wouldn't hold my breath on Metal 2 gaining ubiquity, well, ever. It would be nice to see Vulkan make an appearance in High Sierra because Apple seem to be making a push towards VR on the Mac (along with that $599 eGPU bundle, Apple are also offering developers discounted HTC Vives), but I just don't see why any developers beyond porting houses would bother to give more than a cursory gently caress about a graphics API that is limited to one OS and isn't called DirectX.

But as it stands though, you could boot into windows using bootcamp, plug in an eGPU with an nvidia card, install the nvidia drivers as you would on a PC and game using the eGPU powering the iMac screen?

Honestly that would be fine for my needs when required. Most of my gaming over the past couple of years has been graphically trivial indie stuff, or 2d stuff like pillars of eternity. The most demanding things I've played in the past year are civ vi and xcom. As long as it works correctly I'd be fine with switching to windows and plugging in an eGPU for the occasions when I want to play something that doesn't have a Mac port or is too graphically demanding. It seems like there are very few AAA games worth playing these days.

It also means I can get a new GPU now, and transfer it over to an external enclosure in a year or so when I make the big switch

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 13:34

«911 »