Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn’t switch to the “On Battery” profile when you pull the power cable? What the hell? :psyduck:

Is this something you can verify through the system logs? Like it makes an entry when the lid is open and remove, but doesn’t when the lid closed?

Yea, the console should show it. Usually when this happens there's something going on with a piece of software that alters the default behavior but once in a while it's bad hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn’t switch to the “On Battery” profile when you pull the power cable? What the hell? :psyduck:

Is this something you can verify through the system logs? Like it makes an entry when the lid is open and remove, but doesn’t when the lid closed?
I'll have to take a look at logs and see exactly what's been keeping my laptop on when I think it should be asleep.

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, the console should show it. Usually when this happens there's something going on with a piece of software that alters the default behavior but once in a while it's bad hardware.
I know sometimes I'll leave a JavaScript live server running in my editor, but if that's what's causing my laptop to stay on even after I close the lid, I feel as though my laptop should sleep regardless of what's running. Is there anything I can do to force sleep in these situations?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IAmKale posted:

I'll have to take a look at logs and see exactly what's been keeping my laptop on when I think it should be asleep.

I know sometimes I'll leave a JavaScript live server running in my editor, but if that's what's causing my laptop to stay on even after I close the lid, I feel as though my laptop should sleep regardless of what's running. Is there anything I can do to force sleep in these situations?

Probably best to figure WHAT is causing the problem first.

I’d first look at the logs when you unplug power with the lid open and see what gets logged. Then do the same with it closed. Do both scenarios with the server running and not.

I’d also examine all the 3rd party stuff you may loading. You may have something that’s behaving badly.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I keep trying to find a replacement for my 2015 13" rMBP that ticks all of the boxes, and I just....can't.

I want something in the same size range, but that is actually repairable/expandable. The only problem is, I deeply value the display quality of this machine (and most Macs), and the business class laptops that are serviceable or have non-soldered RAM/SSDs have garbage displays in comparison. The computers that have quality displays are typically sealed ultrabooks too, just a bit cheaper.

I'm frustrated with the cost and keyboards of the new MacBook Pros, but I'm beginning to think that there might not be anything better - when it comes time to upgrade, I just spend the cash on 16gb of RAM and AppleCare+, and hopefully they redesign the keyboard to be more reliable.

Has anyone else tried switching away with more success?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

IuniusBrutus posted:

I don't get it. What you *really* want is a thinnish 13" laptop with a retina-ish screen and the ability to swap out ram and SSD in the future. But since you don't know of a laptop that hits this sweet spot, you might as well... buy the much more expensive MacBook Touchbar Edition instead of, say, a significantly cheaper Dell XPS 13 for some reason?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Linguica posted:

I don't get it. What you *really* want is a thinnish 13" laptop with a retina-ish screen and the ability to swap out ram and SSD in the future. But since you don't know of a laptop that hits this sweet spot, you might as well... buy the much more expensive MacBook Touchbar Edition instead of, say, a significantly cheaper Dell XPS 13 for some reason?

The non-touchbar MacBook is a few hundred dollars more than a competitively spec'd XPS13, not thousands at least...used is a different story, of course. I did leave out that I attach some value to macOS, that wonderful, wonderful 16:10 aspect ratio, and a reasonable and easily used extended warranty that includes accidental damage. The latter I don't care about so much if I can repair it myself, but that is not really an option so...

Though an XPS15 is an EXTREMELY compelling buy, I forgot how affordable they are, and they offer two RAM slots and non-soldered SSDs, it is just a bit bigger than I would like.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

IuniusBrutus posted:

The non-touchbar MacBook is a few hundred dollars more than a competitively spec'd XPS13, not thousands at least...used is a different story, of course. I did leave out that I attach some value to macOS, that wonderful, wonderful 16:10 aspect ratio, and a reasonable and easily used extended warranty that includes accidental damage. The latter I don't care about so much if I can repair it myself, but that is not really an option so...

Though an XPS15 is an EXTREMELY compelling buy, I forgot how affordable they are, and they offer two RAM slots and non-soldered SSDs, it is just a bit bigger than I would like.

In Australia, the cheaper model XPS13s only have 1080p screens. If you want the high end screen it will cost you a couple hundred more than a touchbar macbook pro, let alone the non touchbar ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Which are the good Mac Minis again? The 2012s? 14s??? :thunk:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I keep trying to find a replacement for my 2015 13" rMBP that ticks all of the boxes, and I just....can't.

I want something in the same size range, but that is actually repairable/expandable. The only problem is, I deeply value the display quality of this machine (and most Macs), and the business class laptops that are serviceable or have non-soldered RAM/SSDs have garbage displays in comparison. The computers that have quality displays are typically sealed ultrabooks too, just a bit cheaper.

I'm frustrated with the cost and keyboards of the new MacBook Pros, but I'm beginning to think that there might not be anything better - when it comes time to upgrade, I just spend the cash on 16gb of RAM and AppleCare+, and hopefully they redesign the keyboard to be more reliable.

What you want does not exist

And yes, the keyboard is not great, but the TouchBar is really the worst thing about the laptop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And yes, the keyboard is not great, but the TouchBar is really the worst thing about the laptop.

Keyboard is for sure a step backwards but having gone from a 13 inch pro and Air I really like the touchbar (sorry TouchBar) now. :shrug:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Which are the good Mac Minis again? The 2012s? 14s??? :thunk:
The 2012's let you upgrade the RAM and storage. The 2014's have soldered-on RAM so you can only upgrade the storage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IAmKale posted:

The 2012's let you upgrade the RAM and storage. The 2014's have soldered-on RAM so you can only upgrade the storage.

Also, the 2012s have quad-core CPUs available, while the 2014s are dual-core only.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Keyboard is for sure a step backwards but having gone from a 13 inch pro and Air I really like the touchbar (sorry TouchBar) now. :shrug:

They keyboard is fine to me, but I agree the TouchBar is fantastic.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
What if instead of a touchbar, the touchpad was a big oled display?

I mean the laptop would then cost like $5000 but eh

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

All the Touch Bar did was drive up the cost, at least it doesn't actively hinder your use of the machine. Unless you use vim with default bindings. :coolspot:

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Also, the 2012s have quad-core CPUs available, while the 2014s are dual-core only.

Shameless plug - Good example right here on SA Mart if anyone is looking for one (2012 quad-core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849396

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
the Toyota Tacoma of Macs

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whiskey Dick posted:

Shameless plug - Good example right here on SA Mart if anyone is looking for one (2012 quad-core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849396

Ha. You're going to get that price, but I just sold a 2014 Macbook Air for hundreds less than that! Mac minis are a terrible value.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's been three generations of Intel NUCs since the last Mac Mini update. Apple needs to just slap an Apple log on a NUC for $700.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Twerk from Home posted:

Ha. You're going to get that price, but I just sold a 2014 Macbook Air for hundreds less than that! Mac minis are a terrible value.

The i7 variant always commands a big price. I paid $300 or so for my 128gb ssd / 8gb / i5 2.5. I had to swap out the ssd about 6 months later, but just had luck on that. I was surprised how easy it was, and wouldn’t have limited my search to just ssd models if I’d known.

It’s amazing how well a 6 year old machine runs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Holy hell, when did applecare get so expensive for laptops? The last time I bought one seven years ago it was like $100. I suppose there’s no sensible alternative to paying the full price?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There's been three generations of Intel NUCs since the last Mac Mini update. Apple needs to just slap an Apple log on a NUC for $700.

Can't lie, I'd love a fruit nuc, it'd be well handy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The i7 variant always commands a big price. I paid $300 or so for my 128gb ssd / 8gb / i5 2.5. I had to swap out the ssd about 6 months later, but just had luck on that. I was surprised how easy it was, and wouldn’t have limited my search to just ssd models if I’d known.

I had to revive an old MacBook Pro i7 from 2011. Other than the hassle of a slow HD and having to upgrade (still takes High Sierra o_o), it’s an incredible usable machine, I thought it would be a drag to use.

It also made me miss the old style design from Mountain Lion. All the skeuomorphic stuff wasn’t too bad. Very colorful but clear to read.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Put an SSD and 8-16GB of RAM into those 2011/2012 non-retina machines and they're perfectly fine machines. 2012s are better though since they have bluetooth 4.0 and that means more continuity features. I also find the 2012 to be less power hungry/needing to kick on fans.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I had to revive an old MacBook Pro i7 from 2011. Other than the hassle of a slow HD and having to upgrade (still takes High Sierra o_o), it’s an incredible usable machine, I thought it would be a drag to use.

It also made me miss the old style design from Mountain Lion. All the skeuomorphic stuff wasn’t too bad. Very colorful but clear to read.

My 13” MBP is a 2010 model with a Core 2 Duo. I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB (max), replaced the hard drive with an SSD, had to replace the battery twice now, and the cd drive is dead… but the MBP still works and is running the latest version of macOS. The screen is awful though, with native resolution being 1280x800. It’s not my main laptop but I use it a lot for browsing and playing dumb games like Hearthstone.

If you upgrad that hard drive it’s getting a new computer.

e: This post made me realize I’ve owned this thing for 7 years now god drat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kefkafloyd posted:

Put an SSD and 8-16GB of RAM into those 2011/2012 non-retina machines and they're perfectly fine machines. 2012s are better though since they have bluetooth 4.0 and that means more continuity features. I also find the 2012 to be less power hungry/needing to kick on fans.

I wouldn't put too much money into a 2011 15" because the GPU is just waiting to puke. But a bargain SSD will do wonders.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've had good luck with holding on to Macs for a long time, but now it seems like everything is holding up provided it has an SSD. I picked up a 5-ish i think year old Thinkpad with an i7/8gb/256gb SSD off eBay for $180 to play around with. While the battery is worn it runs just as well as anything else. Hell, if I could Hackintosh it I'd sell my 2016 mbp in a heartbeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We run a hackintosh in the edit place I work for Quality control and writing LTO tapes and one of the biggest issues we have is the power supply. It's fine 99% of the time but there's nothing worse than when you're writing a 5TB tape and the machine dies overnight

:negative:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

business hammocks posted:

Holy hell, when did applecare get so expensive for laptops? The last time I bought one seven years ago it was like $100. I suppose there’s no sensible alternative to paying the full price?

You can roll the dice on eBay for the 20% chance it’s legit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Applecare for my 12" iBook in 2003 was nearly $200.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

business hammocks posted:

The education discount is real good. Sometimes Micro Center will cut you a deal if you ask and are buying the machine from them. Otherwise, pay up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Applecare for my 12" iBook in 2003 was nearly $200.

Yeah, remember paying $200 for non-retina, and when retina came out AppleCare jumped to $300. I stopped buying Apple Care about 4 years ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeesh, even with educational discount, Applecare is $199 for a 13-inch rMBP,

$259 for a 15-incher. MacBooks/Airs are $183.

$79 for a Mini.

$29 for a (hah) AppleTV..

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So B&H Photo has the Late 2016 15” Pros w/ TouchBar for like $700-800 off, putting them at $1,899 and $1,999. I’ve never purchased anything from them, I assume they’re legit? And how long is this deal likely to last? They’re closed for Shabbos (that’s a first for me!) so I can’t order until tomorrow night at the earliest. I

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

B&H is a legit seller. I’d assume the deal should last over the weekend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mahoning posted:

So B&H Photo has the Late 2016 15” Pros w/ TouchBar for like $700-800 off, putting them at $1,899 and $1,999. I’ve never purchased anything from them, I assume they’re legit? And how long is this deal likely to last? They’re closed for Shabbos (that’s a first for me!) so I can’t order until tomorrow night at the earliest. I

I have bought from them for years. Just got the 256Gb 2016 15" last week for a coworker

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

B&H is legit. Their store in New York is geek heaven. Closest thing in Toronto is Vistek :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

No tax outside of NJ too!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I feel like a dumbass for having to ask this, but is there no way to change the overall font size in Safari now? There used to be a tab under the Safari system preferences where I could change font sizes by increments (i think 25% increments?). I think it was initially 125% and a pull-down menu allowed me to either raise it or lower it as I pleased... but I can't find the option now. My only choice is going to Advanced and clicking the Accessibility text box to never use font sizes smaller than whatever (9 is the default). I feel like I'm going crazy, because the option I was looking for was just there like a week or so ago.

Sometimes I flip between 1280x800 and 1440x900 on my 12-inch MacBook and I'd usually adjust the Safari text size as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MarcusSA posted:

B&H is a legit seller. I’d assume the deal should last over the weekend.

They've had that deal for over a year. They've been trying to get rid of that inventory a long time. They briefly discounted an additional $200 on them on Black Friday.