Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«966 »
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn’t switch to the “On Battery” profile when you pull the power cable? What the hell?

Is this something you can verify through the system logs? Like it makes an entry when the lid is open and remove, but doesn’t when the lid closed?

Yea, the console should show it. Usually when this happens there's something going on with a piece of software that alters the default behavior but once in a while it's bad hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 6, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn’t switch to the “On Battery” profile when you pull the power cable? What the hell?

Is this something you can verify through the system logs? Like it makes an entry when the lid is open and remove, but doesn’t when the lid closed?
I'll have to take a look at logs and see exactly what's been keeping my laptop on when I think it should be asleep.

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, the console should show it. Usually when this happens there's something going on with a piece of software that alters the default behavior but once in a while it's bad hardware.
I know sometimes I'll leave a JavaScript live server running in my editor, but if that's what's causing my laptop to stay on even after I close the lid, I feel as though my laptop should sleep regardless of what's running. Is there anything I can do to force sleep in these situations?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IAmKale posted:

I'll have to take a look at logs and see exactly what's been keeping my laptop on when I think it should be asleep.

I know sometimes I'll leave a JavaScript live server running in my editor, but if that's what's causing my laptop to stay on even after I close the lid, I feel as though my laptop should sleep regardless of what's running. Is there anything I can do to force sleep in these situations?

Probably best to figure WHAT is causing the problem first.

I’d first look at the logs when you unplug power with the lid open and see what gets logged. Then do the same with it closed. Do both scenarios with the server running and not.

I’d also examine all the 3rd party stuff you may loading. You may have something that’s behaving badly.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I keep trying to find a replacement for my 2015 13" rMBP that ticks all of the boxes, and I just....can't.

I want something in the same size range, but that is actually repairable/expandable. The only problem is, I deeply value the display quality of this machine (and most Macs), and the business class laptops that are serviceable or have non-soldered RAM/SSDs have garbage displays in comparison. The computers that have quality displays are typically sealed ultrabooks too, just a bit cheaper.

I'm frustrated with the cost and keyboards of the new MacBook Pros, but I'm beginning to think that there might not be anything better - when it comes time to upgrade, I just spend the cash on 16gb of RAM and AppleCare+, and hopefully they redesign the keyboard to be more reliable.

Has anyone else tried switching away with more success?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone else tried switching away with more success?
I don't get it. What you *really* want is a thinnish 13" laptop with a retina-ish screen and the ability to swap out ram and SSD in the future. But since you don't know of a laptop that hits this sweet spot, you might as well... buy the much more expensive MacBook Touchbar Edition instead of, say, a significantly cheaper Dell XPS 13 for some reason?

«966 »