Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last Chance posted:

There's no way they redesigned the Macbook Pro to the Retina version in less than a year.

The non-Retina and Retina mid 2012 were both introduced simultaneously in June 2012, it's easy to conclude that they had the Retina on the back burner for some time before release. The 2012 non Retina was just a bump up to Ivy Bridge from Sandy Bridge.

Apple never released another non-Retina Pro after 2012.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm just pleasantly surprised that there might be some reasonable used value for the 2005 and 2008 vintage Airport Express bricks I have collecting dust in a drawer, if people still hoard them for audio.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

realistically, anyone that cares that much about audio quality would get an a external soundcard/dac/whatever anyway.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Binary Badger posted:

One thing I've noticed is that MicroCenter is still a good place to find EOL'ed Apple accessories like the Fifth Generation AEBS.

What is the fifth generation airport express?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm just pleasantly surprised that there might be some reasonable used value for the 2005 and 2008 vintage Airport Express bricks I have collecting dust in a drawer, if people still hoard them for audio.

Assuming they work. Mine is the last model.

tuyop posted:

I think my tb3 dock has one of those optical ports but I have absolutely no idea what it’s even for. I’ve been confused about them since I saw one on, I think, my PS2.

:psyduck:

It’s to bypass the built in DAC and send a digital audio signal to a receiver/amp/mixer/TV/whatever. It’s like the exclusively audio version of HDMI vs component analog.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KingEup posted:

What is the fifth generation airport express?

AEBS = AirPort Extreme Base Station.

hth

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Proteus Jones posted:

hth

Ah, ok I thought we were talking about optical ports but that was a later post about airport express.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The non-Retina and Retina mid 2012 were both introduced simultaneously in June 2012, it's easy to conclude that they had the Retina on the back burner for some time before release. The 2012 non Retina was just a bump up to Ivy Bridge from Sandy Bridge.

Apple never released another non-Retina Pro after 2012.

Right, so Steve obviously had a say in what ports were on the rMBP and it wasn't some fan fiction revenge scheme that you mentioned

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to use the optical out on my iMac, because the noise produced by the analog 3.5mm was horrific. Not in an audiophile 'the jitters are wrong man!' way, but more physical noise than actual signal sometimes. Repairable I'm sure, but I had the cable anyway.

That feature was one of the best features of Mac hardware of the time, imho :[

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

hth

Heh, what's the acronym for the express then?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Right, so Steve obviously had a say in what ports were on the rMBP and it wasn't some fan fiction revenge scheme that you mentioned

With Apple, truth is stranger than fanfics

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The first gen retinas where horrible. The integrated video cards at the time could not handle that resolution at all. Iirc, it wasn’t until the 3rd gen that you could use the integrated video without lag on the desktop.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Looks like Apple is actually standing by its commitment to support cheesegrater 2010/2012 Mac Pros.

Folks on MacRumors are reporting that in Mojave DP7, Apple has actually updated the firmware on Mac Pro 5,1s.. the new version is 138.0.0.0, the last version on High Sierra is 0089.

It seems to add the following features:

1) Updated microcode (to protect against Spectre / Meltdown)
2) Longstanding issue where non-Mac version AMD GPU cards ran at 2.5 GT / sec instead of 5 GT / sec.
3) Requirement of EFI-based GPU to upgrade firmware removed, firmware update now works regardless of GPU EFI compatibility

#2 and #3 have long been the bane of the 5,1 community.

Wow, rewriting the firmware on an eight year old machine, who'da thunk it..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sky falling? 2012 was the last cheese grater? I might have to pick one up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dunno where you got that from, just commenting that it's amazing that Apple is going to the trouble of rewriting the firmware for an eight year old machine just so it'll be compatible for a new OS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Joking! Yes that is great news. Those cheese graters are going to get run into dust for another 10 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Sky falling? 2012 was the last cheese grater? I might have to pick one up.

If you pick up a 4,1 you can upgrade the CPUs yourself (TOTL and near-TOTL are readily available used for relatively little money as they were used in a lot of servers) reflash it and turn it into the 12 core 5,1 model of your dreams for usually less than a 5,1. There are a lot of guides and kits available online.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

The first gen retinas where horrible. The integrated video cards at the time could not handle that resolution at all. Iirc, it wasn’t until the 3rd gen that you could use the integrated video without lag on the desktop.

Nah, I had one and it was fine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you pick up a 4,1 you can upgrade the CPUs yourself (TOTL and near-TOTL are readily available used for relatively little money as they were used in a lot of servers) reflash it and turn it into the 12 core 5,1 model of your dreams for usually less than a 5,1. There are a lot of guides and kits available online.

Yeah but will a 4.1 take the new Mojave firmware written for a 5.1?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sure, if it's flashed to a 5,1 beforehand.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So wait are 4.1s and 5.1s the exact same base hardware as far as the firmware is concerned?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So wait are 4.1s and 5.1s the exact same base hardware as far as the firmware is concerned?

The hardware and chipsets were identical, the only difference was new CPUs.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/05/firmware-hack-can-transform-a-2009-mac-pro-into-a-12-core-monster/

I have a six-core 4,1 -> 5,1 Mac Pro and it's pretty nice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The one thing you have to be careful of is that the dual-socket 4,1s have delidded CPUs vs the lidded CPUs of the 5,1. You want to make sure that you're extremely careful when reattaching the heatsinks over lidded CPUs so you don't damage the pins, or you can buy delidded CPUs from kit sellers (or delid them yourself if you're feeling froggy/have access to a lid remover).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How would I do a RGB mod to my 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ratbert90 posted:

iirc the desktop lag in first gen Retina got fixed in a software update. Also, I have a 2nd gen (2013) model, run it scaled to 1920 equivalent all the time, and the integrated gpu does fine with no lag.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

How would I do a RGB mod to my 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard?

Step 1: buy a Asus ROG monstrosity.
Step 2: put apple sticker on there.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Step 1: buy a Asus ROG monstrosity.
Step 2: put apple sticker on there.
It's my goal when apple care runs out to do this mod and send it to Jony Ive

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from my 2009 MBP17. Man this form factor is nice. Just put a retina display on it and keep all the physical dimensions/KB/TP the same :cry:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like Apple is actually standing by its commitment to support cheesegrater 2010/2012 Mac Pros.

Folks on MacRumors are reporting that in Mojave DP7, Apple has actually updated the firmware on Mac Pro 5,1s.. the new version is 138.0.0.0, the last version on High Sierra is 0089.

It seems to add the following features:

1) Updated microcode (to protect against Spectre / Meltdown)
2) Longstanding issue where non-Mac version AMD GPU cards ran at 2.5 GT / sec instead of 5 GT / sec.
3) Requirement of EFI-based GPU to upgrade firmware removed, firmware update now works regardless of GPU EFI compatibility

#2 and #3 have long been the bane of the 5,1 community.

Wow, rewriting the firmware on an eight year old machine, who'da thunk it..

poo poo, this might just be what convinces me to dump a 1080Ti into this old girl and run with it for another year or two. :huh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How do those old Xeon chips compare to modern stuff? Like if I was stupid enough to try and rehabbing an old Mac Pro what kind of performance would I get out of it?

My 2011 Mac Mini i5 still runs pretty well with just 2 cores. It sounds like an 8 core Xeon from 2010 would probably still work pretty well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet they use more electricity than a bitcoin farm

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Krispy Wafer posted:

How do those old Xeon chips compare to modern stuff? Like if I was stupid enough to try and rehabbing an old Mac Pro what kind of performance would I get out of it?

My 2011 Mac Mini i5 still runs pretty well with just 2 cores. It sounds like an 8 core Xeon from 2010 would probably still work pretty well.

They're great, but make sure you get one for a reasonable price. PSU replacements aren't cheap (and are obviously used units) and even the newest machines are 8-9 years old now. That being said, mine is a dependable as hell workhorse now that I use it as a daily, rather than constantly loving around with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2008 MBP15 non-unibody - bench toy
2009 MBP17 - daily
2011 iMac27 - daily
2012 MBP15 non-retina - keep at work daily
2014 rMBP13 - too new, wifu daily

All maxed out and on SSDs. Nothing in daily web/design use is taxing on any of them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I bet they use more electricity than a bitcoin farm

TDP on the Xeons are between 110w and 150w so not too much worse than your standard i7, and that includes the single cpu, 12 core chips.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It should be noted that at one point Apple was putting 1 KW power supplies in the Mac Pro.

Here's typical power consumption taken from the 2010 4,1 models, not any different from the 5,1.

125 W (Quad-Core Idle)
218 W (Quad-Core CPU Max)
162 W (8-Core Idle)
248 W (8-Core CPU Max)
145 W (12-Core Idle)
285 W (12-Core CPU Max)

The more cards/RAM/peripherals you load up, the more power you'll draw, I'd imagine the 1 KW supply assumes every RAM and expansion slot, and ports are being used.

The Mac Pro 4,1s and 5,1s have server-class components meant to last a long time and provide high availability. Don't bitch at me as to why they never made 2U form factors.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 15, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just got a 2015 13". Man that keyboard is a spongy fucker. Also it feels noticeably thicker than a 2016+. Weird. And the sumbitch sent me a 45w charger with it.

Also some benchmarks. Scientific process was 'run Cinebench a bunch of times and save the best results'

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 15, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Get back to us when you slap on the recommended 60W charger, unless you already had one hooked up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Get back to us when you slap on the recommended 60W charger, unless you already had one hooked up.

Actually had the 80-some watt 15" charger plugged in

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Theophany posted:

They're great, but make sure you get one for a reasonable price. PSU replacements aren't cheap (and are obviously used units) and even the newest machines are 8-9 years old now. That being said, mine is a dependable as hell workhorse now that I use it as a daily, rather than constantly loving around with it.

I just bought a new OEM PSU last year for my (flashed) 2009 cMP - it was expensive, but my Mac Pro will probably last another several years I bet.

Edit - my only planned change is to swap the GTX 980 with a Radeon RX 580.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are the new Mac Pros supposed to be out by the end of 2018? They were always out of my budget, but a maxed out 2008 Mac Pro for under $600 sounds really tempting - their multi-core geekbench scores rival most modern CPUs.