Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Linguica posted:

Do you *really* need a terabyte of SSD though? I have a 128GB rMBP and my Time Machine volume is like 1.3 TB. Which means that more than 90% of my "files" are not actually on my laptop directly since at some point I have deleted them to make room for other files. If my laptop is at home, which is to say most of the time, it's trivial for me to recover any file I've ever had, and if I'm elsewhere, then the chances that I would suddenly urgently need that file are generally pretty low. But even given that, I find in my own life that I am barely ever accessing old files anyway, so even the minor inconvenience of having to go through the Time Machine interface has been rare for me.

I guess my point is that with Time Machine, most people only really need enough SSD to do all the activities they want to do at one particular moment, not enough to hold all the media and programs and poo poo you accumulate over the lifespan of the device.

Do you also jerk off with hot sauce? Because that's some real living on the edge poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

redeyes posted:

This is loving crazy. Don't use TM like this. It is for backups not file storage!
Could you define what a “backup” is if not a collection of files? What, are the bits going to have their edges worn down by being transferred to and from an external drive? Am I shortening the lifespan of my computer by NOT storing all my files on it at all times? You people are weird sometimes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Linguica posted:

Could you define what a “backup” is if not a collection of files?

a redundant collection of files

Linguica posted:

What, are the bits going to have their edges worn down by being transferred to and from an external drive?

possibly as time machine and the filesystems it runs on doesn't do checksumming (correct me if I'm wrong)

Linguica posted:

You people are weird sometimes.

I think people are just trying to save you (and others that might be reading this) from a catastrophic data loss. They mean well. :shobon:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Time Machine is the quick and convenient backup. You should still have another backup because holy poo poo you don't want Time Machine as your single point of failure.

Based on my own personal Time Machine experiences there's a not insignificant chance your data is already corrupted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*builds two oil/gas/data pipelines, one for payload and one for hot backup in case the first one fails*

*runs both pipelines at 100% capacity*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Linguica posted:

Could you define what a “backup” is if not a collection of files? What, are the bits going to have their edges worn down by being transferred to and from an external drive? Am I shortening the lifespan of my computer by NOT storing all my files on it at all times? You people are weird sometimes.

No but Time Machine sparse bundles can become corrupt and all your backup data goes away. Also, Time Machine will prune older backup data for space considerations.

You are better off using an external drive, NAS, or even cloud storage for files you want to access regularly or even intermittently.

Also, as others have said, hopefully Time Machine is not your only archival strategy. I use Time Machine for on-site and also Arq ($50 one time) + Backblaze B2 (~$3/month) for offsite backups.

eames
May 9, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I use Time Machine for on-site and also Arq ($50 one time) + Backblaze B2 (~$3/month) for offsite backups.

:hmmyes:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Time machine blew up in my face spectacularly the one time I needed it. It just works, until it doesn't.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it possible to install Windows on a flash drive to run on a mac?

I know I could bootcamp a secondary partition and do this, but what about a flash drive? I can't seem to find a good answer online as most searches seem to think I want to create a USB installer.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm not sure that you can install it directly on the flash drive but it is possible to clone an existing bootcamp partition to a flash drive and boot from there:

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone/

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Windows does not like running from a usb drive for piracy reasons, there is windows to go that runs off usb but its enterprise and education only. You should be able to boot off thunderbolt though.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have it working well enough. There are instructions around on how to do it, although I can’t remember the procedure I used.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Perplx posted:

Windows does not like running from a usb drive for piracy reasons, there is windows to go that runs off usb but its enterprise and education only. You should be able to boot off thunderbolt though.

There are tools that allow preparing any edition of Windows 10 for running from a flash drive, works just fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had to fix an old tablet used in auto shops and had to get Windows XP Tablet Edition running off a USB drive and holy poo poo was that a crazy experience.

~legacy business software~ y’all!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Time Machine isn't a backup and should not be treated as such.
It's redundancy.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Generic Monk posted:

tbf i don't think i've ever noticed an ad in that app apart from in the 'add to podcast' screen

He cut them back a bit, but they are definitely there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Got my 2016 TB 13” back from Apple, new keyboard feels so much better

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Most likely the revised 2nd, or 3rd generation 'condom' keyboard Apple has been touting for the rMBA and 2018 rMBPs.

Jury's still out but I hear a lot fewer complaints after installing new top cases for 2016/2017 folks.

The only complaints I hear are from Power Users bitching at me (as if I had any control) over SSD prices; $200 for 512 GB is not super bad, but the princely sum of 600+ for 1 TB and up literally has people aghast and pointing to commodity SATA/NVMe prices dropping as evidence Apple Is loving Us Over Again.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 15, 2018

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Data Graham posted:

*builds two oil/gas/data pipelines, one for payload and one for hot backup in case the first one fails*

*runs both pipelines at 100% capacity*

:tangent: Real talk: duty and standby pipelines should be run at 50% each; “hot” non-flowing standby pipelines for viscous fluids is usually a bad idea. :/tangent:

Edit: The above with a non-flowing hot standby is do-able if you alternate the duty pipeline at frequent intervals, but that’s usually most expensive than just pushing 50% each.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 16, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sensible and learnworthy, thank you :tipshat:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

Most likely the revised 2nd, or 3rd generation 'condom' keyboard Apple has been touting for the rMBA and 2018 rMBPs.

Jury's still out but I hear a lot fewer complaints after installing new top cases for 2016/2017 folks.

The only complaints I hear are from Power Users bitching at me (as if I had any control) over SSD prices; $200 for 512 GB is not super bad, but the princely sum of 600+ for 1 TB and up literally has people aghast and pointing to commodity SATA/NVMe prices dropping as evidence Apple Is loving Us Over Again.

+200 is ridiculous as well and, yes, "Apple Is loving Us Over Again".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Linguica posted:

Do you *really* need a terabyte of SSD though? I have a 128GB rMBP and my Time Machine volume is like 1.3 TB. Which means that more than 90% of my "files" are not actually on my laptop directly since at some point I have deleted them to make room for other files. If my laptop is at home, which is to say most of the time, it's trivial for me to recover any file I've ever had, and if I'm elsewhere, then the chances that I would suddenly urgently need that file are generally pretty low. But even given that, I find in my own life that I am barely ever accessing old files anyway, so even the minor inconvenience of having to go through the Time Machine interface has been rare for me.

I guess my point is that with Time Machine, most people only really need enough SSD to do all the activities they want to do at one particular moment, not enough to hold all the media and programs and poo poo you accumulate over the lifespan of the device.
The problem with that logic is that even if Time Machine works perfectly and doesn't screw up and lose your data...part of its functionality is to prune old data if it needs space. It's a backup of your current data, it's not meant as storage on its own. Delete it from your drive, it'll eventually be deleted from the backup as well.

Speaking of TM, does it take advantage of APFS stuff yet or is it still a kludge of hard links and whatnot?

Lambert posted:

There are tools that allow preparing any edition of Windows 10 for running from a flash drive, works just fine.
Does it have the limitations of the official way of doing it? I was looking into it earlier today (for anyone else curious, it's "Windows To Go") and from the info docs it's basically meant as a static installation to never be updated, no access to internal drives, etc cause it's meant to be a pure portable installation.

Binary Badger posted:

:toot: commodity SSD prices! While speccing out a mini I looked into SATA SSDs for external storage and saw 2TB for ~$300 and figured what the hell why not. My original plan was a smaller one and doing some external fusion drive, but at those prices gently caress it, I'll just get a big rear end SSD.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

japtor posted:

Does it have the limitations of the official way of doing it? I was looking into it earlier today (for anyone else curious, it's "Windows To Go") and from the info docs it's basically meant as a static installation to never be updated, no access to internal drives, etc cause it's meant to be a pure portable installation.

I last did this in the Windows 7 days, so I'm honestly not sure.

japtor posted:

:toot: commodity SSD prices! While speccing out a mini I looked into SATA SSDs for external storage and saw 2TB for ~$300 and figured what the hell why not. My original plan was a smaller one and doing some external fusion drive, but at those prices gently caress it, I'll just get a big rear end SSD.

If you're looking for specific model recommendations, the Crucial MX500 is a great buy. It's a pretty fast & cheap SATA SSD and even has advanced feature like partial power loss protection.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lambert posted:

If you're looking for specific model recommendations, the Crucial MX500 is a great buy. It's a pretty fast & cheap SATA SSD and even has advanced feature like partial power loss protection.

That’s not an external drive.

Samsung T5 if you’re going external. USB-C 3.1 so it’s super fast for external. I easily run more than one VM off it with not appreciable lag.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

That’s not an external drive.

Samsung T5 if you’re going external. USB-C 3.1 so it’s super fast for external. I easily run more than one VM off it with not appreciable lag.

You'd have to buy an external enclosures as well, of course. Just buy one that's USB 3.1 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen 1 is USB 3.0 rebranded for marketing reasons) and UASP capable.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 16, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You don't even need a full enclosure with an SSD since they don't have exposed PCB like 2.5" HDDs do; there are USB3-SATA3 dongles out there for cheap that will do the job.

e: like this, although apparently you can get enclosures for the same price at this point anyway.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 16, 2018

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Anyone know of a decent place to get 2x32GB 2666MHZ DDR4 SODIMMs for the new Mac Minis? The only place I see selling them is OWC, for $1,080.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sent from my iPad posted:

Anyone know of a decent place to get 2x32GB 2666MHZ DDR4 SODIMMs for the new Mac Minis? The only place I see selling them is OWC, for $1,080.
Looking at this thread, they currently don’t seem to exist outside of Apple, OWC, a Samsung part number, and some random eBay vendors. Couldn’t even find those when I looked right now, there’s a few 2400 ones but no 2666.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

2400 should work fine though, as long as Mini is like other DDR4 Macs and doesn't hardcode speed/timings. The difference between 2400 and 2666 on Intel is very tiny. It's Zen that needs RAM clock like methhead needs meth.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

japtor posted:

Looking at this thread, they currently don’t seem to exist outside of Apple, OWC, a Samsung part number, and some random eBay vendors. Couldn’t even find those when I looked right now, there’s a few 2400 ones but no 2666.
I hadn't seen that Samsung part number. Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So if I was interested in getting a MacBook for the first time which should I look into? Currently I have a 2016 Dell XPS 13 (i5). I don’t use it much save for browsing, some Spotify, and schools stuff so I don’t need something more powerful than that.

I was looking into the new Air but I don’t really want to screw myself over in the long run.

Also my current laptop is working fine this is more because I’d like to get in on the Apple stuff more since I already have AirPods, XS, and the Watch. It’s all an enthusiast thing I guess. I’m totally interested in older MBPs if those are about as good as what I have and what not.

Thanks for the help.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

"Halo effect"

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

So if I was interested in getting a MacBook for the first time which should I look into? Currently I have a 2016 Dell XPS 13 (i5). I don’t use it much save for browsing, some Spotify, and schools stuff so I don’t need something more powerful than that.

I was looking into the new Air but I don’t really want to screw myself over in the long run.

Also my current laptop is working fine this is more because I’d like to get in on the Apple stuff more since I already have AirPods, XS, and the Watch. It’s all an enthusiast thing I guess. I’m totally interested in older MBPs if those are about as good as what I have and what not.

Thanks for the help.

For the new Airs, it probably mostly depends on how long you want to keep it for. It should have no trouble with everything you listed (unless "school stuff" means more than just writing some papers and doing research), but it is underpowered compared to other laptops. I don't know anything about the Dell XPS line, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Air is somewhat slower. If you think you'll probably replace it in a few years, then you'll probably be fine. If you'd rather keep it for more like 6 years, then it starts to depend on the details of how you use it, like how many tabs/programs you run at once, or if you always want the latest OS. You should also go to an Apple store before buying to see how you feel about the keyboard. And you should check out the 13" MacBook Pros while you are there, they offer a huge upgrade in performance for a small increase in price and weight, especially if you want to keep it for a long time. Although, I'm not sure if Apple ever did a 2018 update on the non-touchbar model (the cheapest one), so someone else might want to weigh in on how it compares to the more expensive touchbar models.

You could also look at used 2015 MBPs if you are okay with something heavier. I suggest that mainly because they have a keyboard that most people like typing on more, and a larger variety of ports. If you are fine with those aspects of the newer laptops, then I'd stick to looking at current generation hardware. There have been steady reliability and usability improvements since the 2016 models, especially related to the keyboard, so buying an older USB-C MBP seems a bit riskier right now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

Although, I'm not sure if Apple ever did a 2018 update on the non-touchbar model (the cheapest one), so someone else might want to weigh in on how it compares to the more expensive touchbar models.

The non-touchbar models didn't get upgraded, and a lot of the reviews I've read say there is a pretty noticeable performance difference between them and the newly updated touchbar models.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, I don't fault him for moving to more sustainable funding. I will say the friction of having to continually pay up did cause me to check the alternatives. And, I found an app I liked much more.

Charge what you like, and release a totally new version once a year or so to cover maintaining it if you want, but the subscription system is horrible, and feels like a trap considering they still hide the cancel page 5 levels deep somewhere in settings, rather than keeping it all in the App Store.

I feel like a podcast app should not require constant maintenance , or even require servers to be honest, the podcast world is slow moving technologically, and an iPhone is plenty fast enough to pull an RSS feed itself.

Overcast has a couple of gimmicky features which I never use, and Apple Watch support, which I will never use, and I don’t believe any dev time is spent on anything I care about.

Binary Badger posted:

Well they are. And they’re also screwing over Mac developers by making the entry level model Ł1200 in the UK, this massively limiting the size of the market.

Regardless of how fast and good Apple’s soldered SSDs are, it’s clear, especially for lower end portables that any M2 SSD would have indistinguishable performance for users, and would obviously cost 1/10 at the 1TB level.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 17, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Charge what you like, and release a totally new version once a year or so to cover maintaining it if you want, but the subscription system is horrible, and feels like a trap considering they still hide the cancel page 5 levels deep somewhere in settings, rather than keeping it all in the App Store.

It is all in the App Store? You go to your account select subscriptions and turn off the ones you no longer want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wooger posted:

Well they are. And they’re also screwing over Mac developers by making the entry level model Ł1200 in the UK, this massively limiting the size of the market.

Everything in the UK is going that way though due to ongoing political idiocy. I noticed the other day a game in the US Nintendo store for $25 is 22 quid in the UK one, which is kind of insane.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wooger posted:

Regardless of how fast and good Apple’s soldered SSDs are, it’s clear, especially for lower end portables that any M2 SSD would have indistinguishable performance for users, and would obviously cost 1/10 at the 1TB level.

One of Apple's basic tenets is that they only want to provide service for what they sold you.

When people were slapping third party hard drives and RAM in their 2008 / 2009 + laptop models, and then brought them in for service, it galled them to no end. IMHO they decided to take a stand and decided it had to be on the storage and RAM.

RAM got 'locked in' only with the Late 2012 models going forward. They offered SATA laptops up until Late 2013, and then those were straight PCIe / proprietary storage, but with third party adapters you could put in off-the-shelf storage. It wasn't until the 2016 models that storage got locked in too..

(I'm guilty of this, I had slapped an 830 EVO in my old 2009 MBP that I also had replaced the screen for$80, and third party RAM too.. literally a FrankenMac. They would only swap out the logic board once and refuse to ever do it again for that machine..)

At least using the T2 as a dedicated SSD / security controller results in super fast speed with a minimum of CPU cycles being wasted on I/O.

On the other hand, I have a Samsung 970 PRO M.2 in my venerated but old 13-inch Late rMBP, and also in my 2012 Mac Pro cheese grater, they are the bee's knees. Apple literally did the impossible (for them) for the MP, they issued a firmware update that enabled the use of bootable M.2 NVMe drives (you still have to buy a PCIe carrier card but one costs $20.)

On the bad side, you have to also upgrade to Mojave and buy a Mojave compatible GPU for the firmware upgrade to be carried out.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 17, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

Speaking of TM, does it take advantage of APFS stuff yet or is it still a kludge of hard links and whatnot?

It does take advantage of APFS features, but only on the backup source volume. The destination volume still has to be HFS+, presumably for the feature you mention, directory hard links.

On the source volume side, local time machine backups work in a completely different way if your boot disk is APFS. Local backup is the feature which lets TM "back up" every hour even while you're disconnected from the Time Machine backup volume. On HFS+, this is accomplished by maintaining a special hidden folder containing temporary copies of files which need to be pushed to the real backup volume as soon as it's available. On APFS, they use APFS filesystem snapshots.

In some future macOS we'll probably get a Time Machine which backs up APFS to APFS, using snapshots as a replacement for what directory hard links are doing today. I'm just guessing there, but it's pretty obvious that should be the direction. That should make Time Machine much faster and more reliable. Till then we're stuck with hard links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Proteus Jones posted:

It is all in the App Store? You go to your account select subscriptions and turn off the ones you no longer want.

Yes, but 5 layers deep, and it redirects you to the settings app. It should be a top-level section instead of “today” or something.

It’s not even under “Purchased” on the first screen in, or at least linked on that same page.