Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MZ posted:

Hi, does anyone know if there are resolutions for this graphical corruption issue other than "get a new mainboard"?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-odd-graphic-corruption.2080451/

It's happening to my 2011 iMac, and while I'm getting a PC to replace it now, it would be nice to be able to sell it on.

Yeah that poo poo happens to me on my '11 as well. While it won't help if you want to resell it, I can mostly mitigate it by leaving the display awake (with a black screen for a screen saver) all the time. It glitches out most when the machine is cold, and if it's really chilly the drat thing will freeze up, no pun intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Okay so three years into USB-C Macs and here's the one thing I'm still mad about:

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, or the USB-C to HDMI adapter as normal people call it.

It's nice that it has power pass-through, and I can understand the USB-A port only being 2.0 speeds because you're also running video through it.

But why the gently caress didn't they come out with the same adapter, but with Mini-DisplayPort on it? Apple has had DisplayPort on their Macs since the loving 2008 MacBook (unibody). And they just left it to die, like a dog that was hit by the car but is still alive but can't move.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Counterpoint: why would they? Everything is HDMI or TB3 now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Weedle posted:

Correction: Everything is HDMI or DisplayPort alt mode over USB-C now. Thunderbolt 3 is very uncommon for monitors.

USB-C to DisplayPort adapters are pretty common, just buy one that doesn't have Apple branding.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 4, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

MiniDP or DP is on everything :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And really the only reason I bitch is my X220 can do 2560x1440 over DP but only 1920x1080 over HDMI, so I have to have two cables connected to my monitor plus have to toggle the input when I switch :(

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My mum's laptop from like 2011 has died, she's looking for a replacement. It will mostly be for internet and email, and occasionally watching TV. I'm considering the 13" Macbook Air, as the more expensive options don't really add anything she'd get use out of. Is there any reason this would be a terrible idea?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nah that’s ideal.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've got a 2015 Macbook Pro and it looks like the keyboard and touchpad are crapping out because of battery swelling. It's outside the range of replacement serial numbers, but this seems a lot like an issue that should be a basic 'fit for purpose' consumer rights issue.

Has anyone had any luck pestering Apple to get this fixed gratis? I'm definitely not paying the $560 I was quoted to get a new base and casing from their garbage official reseller, so I'm thinking it's this or taking it to a third-party hackshop. Any hints?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

I've got a 2015 Macbook Pro and it looks like the keyboard and touchpad are crapping out because of battery swelling. It's outside the range of replacement serial numbers, but this seems a lot like an issue that should be a basic 'fit for purpose' consumer rights issue.

Has anyone had any luck pestering Apple to get this fixed gratis? I'm definitely not paying the $560 I was quoted to get a new base and casing from their garbage official reseller, so I'm thinking it's this or taking it to a third-party hackshop. Any hints?

Least you can do is try

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Brain In A Jar posted:

There is some hope. Take it to an Apple Store and ask the Genius Bar what they can do for you. Or, if going to an Apple Store is inconvenient / impossible, try their phone system and see if you can set up service that way.

A few years ago the exact same thing happened on my 2013 15”, and when I took it in it wasn’t too hard to get the Genius Bar dude to do me a solid and set up a free battery replacement. In all Retina MBP models, battery service also gives you a completely brand new top case including keyboard and trackpad, since the battery is glued to the top case and Apple’s service procedure is to replace the whole top case assembly rather than attempting to scrape the battery out.

Go ASAP. When I got mine done, they mentioned 3 years since date of purchase as the window for free service on a battery with a clear manufacturing defect (As opposed to mere wear due to heavy use or whatever, one thing that helped me was that it happened despite me not having put many cycles on the battery). I seem to remember they even cut me a little slack on the 3 years, so even if you think you might be a little past that, give it a try.

Even if you have to pay, you should be paying $200, not $560. Over the years what’s been established in this thread is that how this service gets written up can significantly alter the price. You get the special $200 rate if it’s put in as a pure battery replacement, but pay more if they’re also listing repair of other top case assembly components. Goofy, but I think it’s basically Apple underwriting some of the cost of battery service due to their equally goofy decision to glue it in.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brain In A Jar posted:

If you pay to replace the battery (the specific consumed battery price) they will replace the entire top case, including your keyboard and trackpad.

BobHoward posted:

You get the special $200 rate if it’s put in as a pure battery replacement,

Yep

BobHoward posted:

but pay more if they’re also listing repair of other top case assembly components.

nope.

You'll only pay the battery cost. Ask for the Lead Genius or Family Room manager if they say otherwise. Let them know they can look up the SOP on their iPad under 'portable battery repair'

Yeast fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think you misunderstood what Bob was saying.

If it’s entered into the system as a battery replacement it’s only $200 and replaces the battery and top case components.

If it’s entered as an issue with the top case it can cost significantly more and replaces the battery and top case components.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Proteus Jones posted:

I think you misunderstood what Bob was saying.

If it’s entered into the system as a battery replacement it’s only $200 and replaces the battery and top case components.

If it’s entered as an issue with the top case it can cost significantly more and replaces the battery and top case components.

True!

Brain in a Jar, let them know what the issue is, and that you'd like your battery replaced.

Any tech who's worked the bar for more than a week should be able to tell this immediately anyway.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Cheers folks, there's no Apple store where I live (so no genius bar) but I talked to support on the phone, and they reckon if I get a quote from one of their suppliers, that supplier can kick it up the chain to Apple and they might be able to do something about it.

Hopefully it might make a difference – last time I spoke to one of the resellers directly, the $560 or so was what they quoted me for out of warranty, which is just bananas.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Binary Badger posted:

Buy one of these AMD special format graphics cards and replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/661-5969-Radeon-6970M-Card-Video/dp/B01IFKCKIG/

This is most likely the culprit, but dunno if it's worth it to you to sink $500-600 into a seven year old machine.

Thanks, but yeah you're right that's way too much money to sink into such an old machine, that's probably more than I'd get for the whole thing even if it was working perfectly.

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah that poo poo happens to me on my '11 as well. While it won't help if you want to resell it, I can mostly mitigate it by leaving the display awake (with a black screen for a screen saver) all the time. It glitches out most when the machine is cold, and if it's really chilly the drat thing will freeze up, no pun intended.

Ah that's interesting to know, in my mind I thought it was glitching out because it was getting too hot!

Yes every so often it will just freeze up completely and requires a hard reboot. Ah well it's had a good run...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Even broken you might get a decent amount as a parts-only computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone buy a Vega MBP?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just got my new MacBook Air. 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Spent last night setting up old programs and getting everything working correctly. The keyboard is different from my old Air, but I think I can deal with it. The speakers are pretty drat loud on this thing.

I've missed my Mac. :) My Chromebook is going to the kids, and my Surface Pro is now my work/backup PC. My only regret is that I wish that Apple had put USB-C on the XR so that I could use the same charger. I think there's a USB-C/Lightning converter, but it would've been much simpler to have them both use USB-C.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So I just ordered a 2018 refurb off the Apple Store site, since the only way to get bigger storage is buy a new computer now.

However, wanted to let you all know there are some select refurbs avail with deeper than normal discounts. At least for the MacBook Pros, didn't check other hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

So I just ordered a 2018 refurb off the Apple Store site, since the only way to get bigger storage is buy a new computer now.

However, wanted to let you all know there are some select refurbs avail with deeper than normal discounts. At least for the MacBook Pros, didn't check other hardware.

Adorama has the 2TB 2017 15” for $1,300 off

Edit: Amazon has refurbished 2017 512GB for $1,050 off

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 10, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think it's kind of telling that to date, Apple hasn't put any WiFi capabilities in their latest machines that would exceed the specs of the late, lamented Airport Extreme 6th Generation (802.11ac.)

None of their machines, even the latest Mini (ha lets make the entire bottom one big antenna plate) and TouchBar Pros goes past 3X3 MIMO which is the exact spec of the AEBS 6th Gen.

I keep thinking maybe I'll get an Amplifi AC or something to replace the AEBS but the refurb I bought is still going strong, and if the 2019 laptops don't have 4X4 MIMO might as well just get another AEBS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wait for .ax (now Wi-Fi 6) to be finalized and buy a new router then. There's also WPA3 to consider.

Don't buy an Airport.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lambert posted:

Wait for .ax (now Wi-Fi 6) to be finalized and buy a new router then. There's also WPA3 to consider.

Don't buy an Airport.

Don't worry, you can't :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Unless Apple decides it's another thing they should start doing again (see: Mac Pros, Monitors, updated ROMs for 2012 machines) and we get an AEBS 7th Generation..

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Just got a new MBP for work and it's my first USB C laptop. I'm confused by all the USB c docks on Amazon that have dual HDMI but say they only support 1 display on MacBooks. Is there a dock that has two HDMI out that works with a MacBook or do I really need to use all four ports for two USB c to HDMI cables, a USB c to USB 2 adapter, and power?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a bandwidth issue, the cheap usb-c adapters are not thunderbolt capable. You need a thunderbolt 3 dongle to be able to drive two displays (which also have bandwidth issues, if you want to push 4k it's probably going to be capped at 30hz for the cheap adapters).

If you want dual displays at 4k@60hz you're going to be in the $350 docking station tier (there might be cheaper options I just don't know of them).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erwin posted:

Just got a new MBP for work and it's my first USB C laptop. I'm confused by all the USB c docks on Amazon that have dual HDMI but say they only support 1 display on MacBooks. Is there a dock that has two HDMI out that works with a MacBook or do I really need to use all four ports for two USB c to HDMI cables, a USB c to USB 2 adapter, and power?

Use the Apple one as it has a power pass through + hdmi

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

It's a bandwidth issue, the cheap usb-c adapters are not thunderbolt capable. You need a thunderbolt 3 dongle to be able to drive two displays (which also have bandwidth issues, if you want to push 4k it's probably going to be capped at 30hz for the cheap adapters).

If you want dual displays at 4k@60hz you're going to be in the $350 docking station tier (there might be cheaper options I just don't know of them).
Looking at some now it's an MST (multi stream transport) support thing. I think macOS supports it for tiling displays (like older 4K displays that used two cables) but I assume (still) not for daisy chaining or dual outputs, unless something changed.

So yeah TB3 is the only option barring macOS getting multi display MST support.

CalDigit has (relatively) cheaper one that does dual HDMI, dual USB-A ports (3.0 and 2.0), ethernet...but no power :psyduck: (on the plus side, it's portable/bus powered):
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thunderbolt-Portable-Charging-Ethernet/dp/B079H4WTR4/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

CalDigit has (relatively) cheaper one that does dual HDMI, dual USB-A ports (3.0 and 2.0), ethernet...but no power :psyduck: (on the plus side, it's portable/bus powered):
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thunderbolt-Portable-Charging-Ethernet/dp/B079H4WTR4/

That's the one I've been using, it works fairly well. The usb 2.0 port is flaky and sometimes the Mac refuses to activate the display on waking up, triggering an unplug/plug open/shut the lid dance. But that's always been an issue with laptops so not sure I should blame the dongle.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Unless Apple decides it's another thing they should start doing again (see: Mac Pros, Monitors, updated ROMs for 2012 machines) and we get an AEBS 7th Generation..

Maybe when they realise no one is really upgrading their iPhones so often, they should go back to making AirPorts and (proper) Macs again.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Isn’t 5g just going to replace WiFi for everyone within the next few years anyway? Probably an exaggeration, but I do expect that in-home wifi’s days are numbered.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

Isn’t 5g just going to replace WiFi for everyone within the next few years anyway? Probably an exaggeration, but I do expect that in-home wifi’s days are numbered.

Streaming. Way too much demand for towers and providers won’t ever price that kind of access at flat rate

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Streaming. Way too much demand for towers and providers won’t ever price that kind of access at flat rate

This.

Cell companies are dickheads.

Also does 5g penetrate better vs LTE? Because I don’t get hardly any signal in my house and I’m in the middle of the city.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Also does 5g penetrate better vs LTE? Because I don’t get hardly any signal in my house and I’m in the middle of the city.

If you're at home you should be using WiFi assist and letting your phone company use your bandwidth. I mean what kind of jerk customer demands a service provider upgrade and maintain their LTE/5G infrastructure.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

MarcusSA posted:

This.

From what I've seen, 5G works at higher frequencies than current LTE deployments. This means lots of small cell deployments, a city focus (unless they're planning to put up cells every quarter mile on the interstate), and worse building penetration than 4G LTE.

Cell companies are dickheads though, so they'll reduce backhaul to 4G in order to force us to upgrade to 5G. Just like how you can barely get above 100kbps on 3G anymore after 4G launched.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
With the advent of cheap 1Gb unmetered service.... no.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

5G should be great for high-density areas, but it's not going to matter until 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

As soon as I saw this line:

quote:

The repair shop replaced a single chip, whereas Apple would likely have replaced the entire logic board that hosts the most important parts of a laptop.

I knew he took it to Rossmann to repair.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-macbook-pro-repair-quote-unauthorized-2018-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In cases like that, I'd see if it's one of the cases where European law would cover it (I've had a few things at Apple repaired under it for free, and they usually offer it up rather than it being a fight) and then spend the money on some flights instead and get a vacation out of it too. Obviously in this case it's a water spill so that wouldn't be valid, but plenty of stuff they charge for in the US is covered in Europe.