Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It probably would if you replaced the WiFi module with something more modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Weird question... was that store in Somerville?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pzy posted:

Weird question... was that store in Somerville?

Nope, the Hartford, CT area.

And the existing username was the same as a semi-local computer repair store, so I guess the store had it kicking around for a few years without selling it and gave it to the Salvation Army, at which point I got it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 18, 2019

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

asecondduck posted:

A few hours later, I've got a patched version of Mojave on it. Insane.
Is this a difficult operation?

I guess I have to do the same in 1-3 years when my 2013 iMac probably won’t be supported any longer.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Xabi posted:

Is this a difficult operation?

I guess I have to do the same in 1-3 years when my 2013 iMac probably won’t be supported any longer.

Not at all, there's a tool that will download the MacOS installer, put it on a USB drive, and patches it for you.

I have an Early 2009 iMac that runs High Sierra quite nicely.

It can run Mojave, but I just haven't bothered to yet (there are slight graphics issues with pre-Metal GPUs, that basically forces you to use the dark theme, or apply a bunch of patches to improve the light theme.)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

asecondduck posted:

So I picked up an early 2008 iMac from a Salvation Army earlier today. 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of gram, Nvidia graphics. Probably ~3k brand new.

The store employees must have thought it was a monitor (or underestimated Apple hardware longevity) because it was only $25.

A few hours later, I've got a patched version of Mojave on it. Insane.

[Edit: MY loving AIRPODS AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO IT, WHAT THE gently caress APPLE. HOW]

Nice. I got an original iMac for like twenty bucks at a thrift store years ago, also probably because they thought it was a monitor. It was too long in the tooth to really be of any use, though

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merv Burger posted:

Not at all, there's a tool that will download the MacOS installer, put it on a USB drive, and patches it for you.

I have an Early 2009 iMac that runs High Sierra quite nicely.

It can run Mojave, but I just haven't bothered to yet (there are slight graphics issues with pre-Metal GPUs, that basically forces you to use the dark theme, or apply a bunch of patches to improve the light theme.)

Dark mode is pretty awesome and I'd be using it even if I didn't have to, tbh.

There's a slight graphical issue even with dark mode--a black border around programs that, as far as I can tell, is the result of the graphics card not supporting Metal and the Wifi chip doesn't work (not an issue for me because, well, A. it's a desktop that B. sits three feet away from my router).

Clark Nova posted:

Nice. I got an original iMac for like twenty bucks at a thrift store years ago, also probably because they thought it was a monitor. It was too long in the tooth to really be of any use, though
I also have a thrift store G3 iMac and, yeah, it's pretty much useless at this point EXCEPT I can play Spectre Challenger and Super Munchers, which is secretly the real reason I got it. I thought maaaaaybe I could use it to run Final Cut Pro and digitize some ancient DV tapes I have but... no.

It's a nice desk decoration though!

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 20, 2019

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I removed the battery from my late 2013 RMBP today. Posted awhile back but the battery expanded and I don't actually need it to be portable. But like you guys said, it's now running in a super throttled mode. I have the 2.6ghz i5 option and it's running now at 800mhz. Not sure what I'll do with it at this point. It's mostly for updating the provisioning profile on my iphone for an app I wrote. Maybe sell it for whatever I can get and buy a mac mini.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

phosdex posted:

I removed the battery from my late 2013 RMBP today. Posted awhile back but the battery expanded and I don't actually need it to be portable. But like you guys said, it's now running in a super throttled mode. I have the 2.6ghz i5 option and it's running now at 800mhz. Not sure what I'll do with it at this point. It's mostly for updating the provisioning profile on my iphone for an app I wrote. Maybe sell it for whatever I can get and buy a mac mini.

I mean, if you plan on running it plugged it anyways just getting a cheap knockoff battery to give you some battery life and get it back to full speed wouldn’t hurt.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of old Macs, any uses for a 2009 Mac mini? I got a NAS doing server duties already, Apple TV for HTPC stuff (or AirPlay if I need a browser), and can't think of too much for an old computer, outside of I dunno, older games?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Speaking of old Macs, any uses for a 2009 Mac mini? I got a NAS doing server duties already, Apple TV for HTPC stuff (or AirPlay if I need a browser), and can't think of too much for an old computer, outside of I dunno, older games?

I have one all ready to go with OpenEmu and a DVD player but only used it like three times

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
How’s the heat dissipation on the 2018 MacBook Air when running boot camp or Windows in a VM? My 2014 MBP runs insanely hot with the fans going full blast even when Windows is idle.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Which VM software?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably dependent on how many cores are available to the VM and cpu cap as well

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Will a '17 air be able to run AutoCAD worth a gently caress in bootcamp?

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which VM software?

I run VMware Fusion. I assign it 4 cores and 8 GB of ram. It honestly doesn't need much. I honestly could run it with just 2 cores and 4 GB of ram. I just need to sometimes run a Windows-only app and pass through a USB device. But just having Windows idle will ramp up the fans and the bottom will get really hot.

Same issue if I reboot into boot camp.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.pcbuildersclub.com/en/2019/01/four-versions-of-amd-navi-appeared-in-macos-update/

Looks like support for the 7 nm architecture Navi GPUs is already in Mojave.

Not surprising as Apple is still carrying a torch for AMD/ATI GPUs.

Oughta be interesting for cheese grater fans when they eventually come out in PCIe format.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

My late 2011 15” MacBook Pro has started doing this thing over the last couple of months where it will go to a black screen and freeze and I’ll have to force the computer off and back on to restart. A mild annoyance, but whatever. Today it started doing this, with the screen splitting and going to static, then coming back onto my desktop, but still split.

Is this thing just toast now? I believe I had the logic board replaced under a recall repair a couple years ago - would they replace it again?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't think they will replace it again. The 2011s are now 'vintage' so I don't think they will even touch them. I've read reports of people salvaging these by disabling the dGPU (since the dGPU is what is failing). Obviously this isn't ideal since now you don't have a dGPU and those iGPUs aren't great, but it'll at least allow you to keep using it if you're not quite ready to replace it.

Checkout:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...le-fix.2037591/
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...5#post-24956091

You can also look into 'reflowing' the dGPU and reapplying thermal paste, but that's more advanced, and I think at best is still only going to prolong the inevitable a bit longer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could try disabling the dgpu, look back a page or so for the link

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How come my Macbook Air’s battery drains completely after only a few days when its completely shut down, and not in sleep mode.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Bob Morales posted:

You could try disabling the dgpu, look back a page or so for the link

Yep, do this. It’s your best bet. Link is indeed in the last few pages.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone actually done the RAM upgrade on the 2018 Mac Mini?

Curious to hear feedback on it before I dig in on the process.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not any harder than it was on previous models, with the additional steps of removing an interference shield from around the RAM.

This time no special tool is needed to pull out the logic board, you just put your thumbs on the new relocated power supply to push the logic board out enough to access the RAM cage/slots.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Not any harder than it was on previous models, with the additional steps of removing an interference shield from around the RAM.

This time no special tool is needed to pull out the logic board, you just put your thumbs on the new relocated power supply to push the logic board out enough to access the RAM cage/slots.

i mean you just had to remove the bottom plastic bit to upgrade the 2012 mini's ram; this necessitates taking the whole logic board out. probably easier than replacing the hdd in the 2012 tho

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Generic Monk posted:

probably easier than replacing the hdd in the 2012 tho

If you go by the ifixit instructions, they're wrong. You can swap out the 2012 HDD really quickly and without doing half the steps. Luckily their guides allow comments so I saw people saying "DONT DO THESE PARTS!" and even I, an idiot with barely more than the parts to do the job and a glimmer of hope in my brain was able to get it done easily and quickly.

I wish I'd known before hand, because people say it's a pain so I specifically bought a 2012 with an SSD already installed, then 6 months later the drive died on me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this is just peachy. My Mac Pro won't start up. Chime, but no screens. Safe Mode doesn't work, neither does holding Option to select a boot volume. Resetting NVRAM, I held the keys down for what felt like forever and never got a second chime.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe switch out the backup battery?

And press the CUDA reset switch once a new battery is in there?

Location of CUDA switch depends on which Mac Pro it is.. 1,1.. 3,1.. 4,1, or 5,1

If you've never switched out the backup battery odds are it's just dead from old age.

Here's a link to a battery for the 4,1 and 5,1:

https://www.newertech.com/products/pram_3v.php

If you get a lithium type 2032 battery from a drug store, that's probably good enough.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 23, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the prompt reply. When I get home from work I'm going to try removing all peripherals and see if that works, but good call on the battery, I'll look into that too.

I have noticed its startup takes a little too long recently, anyway - even when I replaced the boot SSD with a fresh one, my old 1,1 tower (also with an SSD boot) would start up quicker. Is this also potentially a function of a bad backup battery?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I have noticed its startup takes a little too long recently, anyway - even when I replaced the boot SSD with a fresh one, my old 1,1 tower (also with an SSD boot) would start up quicker. Is this also potentially a function of a bad backup battery?

Yeah, quite possibly, because the location of the startup disk is stored in PRAM.

Here's a quick list stolen from a 2017 article of what gets stored in PRAM:

Status of Messages
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate
Autokey delay
Speaker volume
Attention (beep) sound
Double-click time
Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
Startup disk
Menu blink count
Monitor depth

Whenever I reset PRAM, I usually change the speaker volume to the lowest (but not off) setting before rebooting.

This helps me determine when PRAM is really really reset because when you do the old command-option-P-R it's supposed to reset the volume to its default, which is loudest.

I usually have to hold down PRAM and wait for it to reset twice (four finger salute continuously) on older machines before the volume gets reset.

If the volume stays low, I know the PRAM values weren't really reset.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 24, 2019

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Anyone actually done the RAM upgrade on the 2018 Mac Mini?

Curious to hear feedback on it before I dig in on the process.

Yup, I saved the 400 bucks and installed 32 GB in mine. Using an iFixit toolkit the process want too bad, just make sure you know where each screw goes back to (I made post-its of each step number from the guide and put the screws on those).

Initial install took maybe 40 minutes, but a day later I realized the Mini was running really damned hot because I somehow did not plug the fan back in :doh: I'm rather surprised the thing booted without detecting a fan.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool. Just ordered 32gb.

Shouldn't be too bad based on that

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Walked posted:

Cool. Just ordered 32gb.

Shouldn't be too bad based on that
Yeah it's not that big of a deal. Main thing to be careful about is the cables, I saw someone on Reddit or somewhere pull the whole fan cable header off the board. Antenna cable pops off easily enough, while the main power cable took a bit of force. And I think I saw some YouTuber break off some tiny capacitor but he did a full teardown.

I pulled the drives in my old 2011 and thought that was more annoying, although part of that was having no clue how I pulled the board out last time since I don't think I ever had the logic board pry tool, and couldn't find thin enough screwdrivers this time. I ended up using a paperclip and hoping it'd stay straight enough to push the board out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Flexgate. Louis Rossman has been been really vocal recently about how the 2016/17/18 MacBook Pro's display ribbon cables can't easily be replaced since they're attached to the display, which costs $800.

I'm still really enjoying my 2018 13" MBP, including the keyboard, but I really don't expect this laptop to last as long as my 2011 MBA did. I'll probably try and unload it before the Applecare expires. Fingers crossed we'll see a refresh or ARM laptops by then. Apple needs to get their act together - you'd think they'd get these keyboards issues fixed so they don't have to give out anymore free topcase battery replacements for people who get dust in their keyboards.

What we really need is better consumer regulations - Apple has to repair any warranty defects 5 years after the purchase date in the UK.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 25, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Flexgate. Louis Rossman has been been really vocal recently about how the 2016/17/18 MacBook Pro's display ribbon cables can't easily be replaced since they're attached to the display, which costs $800.

I'm still really enjoying my 2018 13" MBP, including the keyboard, but I really don't expect this laptop to last as long as my 2011 MBA did. I'll probably try and unload it before the Applecare expires. Fingers crossed we'll see a refresh or ARM laptops by then. Apple needs to get their act together - you'd think they'd get these keyboards issues fixed so they don't have to give out anymore free topcase battery replacements for people who get dust in their keyboards.

What we really need is better consumer regulations - Apple has to repair any warranty defects 5 years after the purchase date in the UK.

They're on their 3rd keyboard revision and have pretty much solved those issues though :confused:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

They're on their 3rd keyboard revision and have pretty much solved those issues though :confused:

There have already been multiple reports of the 2018 MBP and MBA having issues with keys typing twice because there’s dust under the key. I’m not saying it hasn’t been partially fixed, but I certainly see a future where Apple acknowledge the problem and extends the warranty coverage for the 2018 laptops as well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I’ve already experienced it with left meta keys on my It Works This Time keyboard

eames
May 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The newest 2018 MBA still has the same problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDsqWkUvXQ&t=234s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple recommends not eating cheetos while using your macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Speaking of classic Mac Pros, I'd had issues with both the DDR3 RAM running at 1066 instead of 1333 Mhz and not being able to sign into Messages. Doing a NVRAM reset did fix both of these issues, but now I have an odd issue where every so often, my (replaced) SuperDrive randomly will seek as if checking for a disk or try to open/close, and I'm not sure what would cause that behavior?