Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

gently caress OWC forever, you're better off getting an off-the-shelf Phison E12 SSD and using a good quality NVMe adapter, you'll keep money out of the clutches of Larry O'CONnor and get better performance over the OWC.

The reviewer must have ordered some badly made clone of the Sintech adapter and called it a day. I don't get any creaking with the adapters in a Late 2013 and a Mid-2015 rMBP.

Every time I've recommended OWC to a client, poo poo happens. The USB dock that looks like another Mini? Client had to go through 4 RMAs until he got one that didn't drop USB connections. The sawed off nVidia GPU? Client found that they didn't hack off enough of the ADC tab and gashed his finger open while installing. The Aura for the TrashCan Mac Pro? All the client tried to do was upgrade to High Sierra and the drive got totaled due to its lovely RAIDed design.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Tim Apple posted:

Next I'd like to talk about the Mac. Revenue was $5.5 billion compared to $5.8 billion a year ago, with the decline driven primarily by processor constraints on certain popular models. In spite of this challenge, we generated double-digit Mac revenue growth in Japan and Korea, setting new all-time Mac revenue records in both markets.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2019/04/30/apple-inc-aapl-q2-2019-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

This may be old news but I didn’t see it mentioned. I’m not even sure which popular models he is talking about, must be the MBP?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2019/04/30/apple-inc-aapl-q2-2019-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

This may be old news but I didn’t see it mentioned. I’m not even sure which popular models he is talking about, must be the MBP?

Coffee Lake chips were in tight supply

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Agreeing with Binary Badger on this, at least their Aura SSD's. The SSD's have had a reputation for problems or outright failing in the past and I would never trust my data with one.

I've used OWC's hard drive enclosures for many years and they've mostly been OK. I bought one of their Mercury Elite Pro Dual RAID enclosures last year, and within 6 months it began to have disconnect issues on the FW800 ports. I got an RMA replacement and it has worked fine. Their RMA process uses some hosed up slow form of UPS shipping though, so be prepared to wait 5 business days in each direction plus the diagnosis time (3 days in my case) to get your replacement item back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought OWC RAM for my iMac in 2009 and it's the first time I ever experienced RAM failure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I didn’t say to buy the stuff I was just noting that it was out there.

Benchmarks here:

https://barefeats.com/aura-pro-x2-pcie-based-flash.html

Also there’s another drive by “TransIntl”

http://www.transintl.com/super-blade-flash-storage-ssd.html

Never heard of it but they advertise on BF

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hey I was going to buy an OWC thunder whatever ssd raid to edit some video in but that now seems like a silly idea. They seemed to have the fastest data transfer rates. Can anyone recommend an enclosure that does ssd, thunderbolt 3 and raid 5? Should I do those m2 chips instead?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Yes gently caress OWC. A long while ago they sold me a faulty processor upgrade to the G4 cube. Immediately after I recurved the processor they stopped selling the product and since I couldn’t exchange it they charged me a 15% restocking fee because my only option was to return it. gently caress those guys. I wish I had a better credit card at the time because now some company that tried to play dumb games like that would end up with a charge back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Hey I was going to buy an OWC thunder whatever ssd raid to edit some video in but that now seems like a silly idea. They seemed to have the fastest data transfer rates. Can anyone recommend an enclosure that does ssd, thunderbolt 3 and raid 5? Should I do those m2 chips instead?

No, the M.2 chips are only for the rMBP Late2013-2015 models.

If you're talking about the OWC/Akitio Thunderbolt models, those are probably ok since OWC bought out Akitio and didn't design them themselves.

Also it's still a little early, I believe CalDigit makes some trustworthy RAIDs but they only do SATA SSDs not NVMe SSDs yet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

gently caress OWC forever, you're better off getting an off-the-shelf Phison E12 SSD and using a good quality NVMe adapter, you'll keep money out of the clutches of Larry O'CONnor and get better performance over the OWC.

The reviewer must have ordered some badly made clone of the Sintech adapter and called it a day. I don't get any creaking with the adapters in a Late 2013 and a Mid-2015 rMBP.

Every time I've recommended OWC to a client, poo poo happens. The USB dock that looks like another Mini? Client had to go through 4 RMAs until he got one that didn't drop USB connections. The sawed off nVidia GPU? Client found that they didn't hack off enough of the ADC tab and gashed his finger open while installing. The Aura for the TrashCan Mac Pro? All the client tried to do was upgrade to High Sierra and the drive got totaled due to its lovely RAIDed design.

Yeah, I went through a few TB2 and TB3 docks and they've all failed in less than a year. Their RMA process is an absolute nightmare.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man for the same price as my ideal 13 inch MBP config I (Whatever cpu, 512gb ssd and 16gb ram) I can get a refurb 15 inch with similar specs but the more beefy cpu and the better gpu.

My current 2015 mbp turns into a insanely hot loud thing as soon as I try to do anything mildly strenuous, such as running one single VM or encoding a video, or even daring to use the lovely Sky GO application to watch something.

Also the screen appears to either have got something underneath it, looks like a spec of dust or something. You can feel a slight bump on on it and up close it kinda looks like you can see rgb pixels it's kinda hard to explain. No way apple will cover this will they?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

track day bro! posted:

Also the screen appears to either have got something underneath it, looks like a spec of dust or something. You can feel a slight bump on on it and up close it kinda looks like you can see rgb pixels it's kinda hard to explain. No way apple will cover this will they?

They often do for phones. I got one replaced due to some crap that got behind the screen once.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

track day bro! posted:

Man for the same price as my ideal 13 inch MBP config I (Whatever cpu, 512gb ssd and 16gb ram) I can get a refurb 15 inch with similar specs but the more beefy cpu and the better gpu.

My current 2015 mbp turns into a insanely hot loud thing as soon as I try to do anything mildly strenuous, such as running one single VM or encoding a video, or even daring to use the lovely Sky GO application to watch something.

Take it in. If it’s running hot or weird take it in. Also use safari instead of chrome probably. The worst case, they tell you what’s up and offer you a bill to fix poo poo and you can choose what you wanna do then. I have a 2013 15” that I push relatively hard and it does well, no reason why a 2015 shouldn’t be able to handle online video without crapping its pants.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 17, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

replacing the old thermal compound and thoroughly cleaning the heatsink fins would make all the difference but it's up to you if you want to do that yourself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not only is the thermal compound replacement a good option, but one or both of the system fans may be running below spec, you might have to get those swapped out too.

Use some canned air to judiciously clear the thermal vanes, too, can't tell you how many rMBP's I've had to open up that had dust jammed near the front vents on the side or in the rear.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've gotta admit that I've opened it up before to clean the dust out of the inside, I tried that recently but it looks like I managed to gently caress up one of the screws so now I can't open it without cutting a notch in the screw or using an extractor or summat. I do spray some in the vents every so often anyway.

I'm wondering if Apple will refuse to do anything with the machine if they find that screw?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You can probably get those screws off eBay and definitely from iFixit. Otherwise you could just bring it in and shrug it off if they ask.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Managed to get the rounded one off by using a rubber band and pushing the driver through it into the screw. It wasn't that dirty inside, just a bit of dust.

Ordered a new set of screws from iFixit and then I'll take it to the store. I might as well see if they'll do the battery too seeing as coconut battery says it's at 80% desgin capacity with around 500 cycles, that should be enough to warrant a replacement?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Managed to get the rounded one off by using a rubber band and pushing the driver through it into the screw. It wasn't that dirty inside, just a bit of dust.

Ordered a new set of screws from iFixit and then I'll take it to the store. I might as well see if they'll do the battery too seeing as coconut battery says it's at 80% desgin capacity with around 500 cycles, that should be enough to warrant a replacement?

You may have to pay for it, but it’s worth $175 or whatever for a fresh topcase and all that jazz.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You may have to pay for it, but it’s worth $175 or whatever for a fresh topcase and all that jazz.

Yeah I don't mind paying for it tbh, looking at the diy instructions and the fact that the drat things glued to the case gently caress that.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Based on the info here, I just picked up a 2019 13” MBP. The keys feel nice?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I love the misinformation out there about the keyboard replacements.

Keep reading 2016 MacBook Pro for sale ads, “has the updated keyboard”

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I love the misinformation out there about the keyboard replacements.

Keep reading 2016 MacBook Pro for sale ads, “has the updated keyboard”
It rules how this can mean like three completely different things

Also wait is it true that there's no actual confirmation that I'll get the maybe-actually-better keyboard in my 2018 MBA if I bring it in??? As in, like, they might just swap in a fresh unit of the one it shipped with instead of the new thing they announced like a month ago? Uhhhhh

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Big Word posted:

It rules how this can mean like three completely different things

Also wait is it true that there's no actual confirmation that I'll get the maybe-actually-better keyboard in my 2018 MBA if I bring it in??? As in, like, they might just swap in a fresh unit of the one it shipped with instead of the new thing they announced like a month ago? Uhhhhh

I thought the MBA couldn’t take the 2019 keyboard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple: takes ports away from MacBook, wireless is the way!

Apple: hay guys plug your USB-C mice into your iPad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Apple: takes ports away from MacBook, wireless is the way!

Apple: hay guys plug your USB-C mice into your iPad
*USB-C or Bluetooth mice

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

tuyop posted:

I thought the MBA couldn’t take the 2019 keyboard.

The new MBA will get the updated keyboard if you bring it in for service, it's right in the bulletin.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apparently all Best Buy stores are Apple-authorized repair centers now.

Nice for someone like me who's 100 miles from an Apple store, but I don't know if I want the clowns at BB taking apart my Mac. Guessing they will send the poo poo to a depot for repair still anyway

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't a lot of Best Buys had Apple 'stores within a store' things setup for quite some time? Maybe those guys are actually Apple trained and not just random BB employees in different color shirts.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I'm considering whether to get the 2019 27" iMac with Core i9 and the Vega 48 graphics option. Every reviewer seems to mention their pleasant surprise that there's little to no thermal throttling, since everyone expected it to be awful when the machine was announced.

How durable do you guys think this machine is going to be over the long term? I wonder how likely it is that a year or two down the road everyone's going to need a logic board replacement or something due to the heat.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I've read that on both the 2018 Mac Mini and the 2019 iMac, the size of the SSD has a significant impact on write performance, although the read performance is identical. These same sources are saying this only holds true up to the 1 TB SSD, with big gains going up from 256 to 512 GB (on the mini) and going from 512 to 1 TB on both machines.

Is my understanding of this correct? Is the gain large enough to matter?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven't a lot of Best Buys had Apple 'stores within a store' things setup for quite some time? Maybe those guys are actually Apple trained and not just random BB employees in different color shirts.

They probably just have some geek squad guys with ACMTs or whatever it's called. I still wouldn't trust them at all. I don't trust 3rd party people even if they're authorized. We have a bunch of MacBooks insured and the insurance people use a company that's authorized to do repairs. The repairs are official, they go through GSX, and they still manage to gently caress those up routinely.

The only time I'd consider it would be for an iMac since those can't be mailed in for service.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 19, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Best Buy probably isn't going to be 'authorized' by apple to do poo poo like just give you a new computer for your troubles either, like you hear stories of from the Apple store

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I've read that on both the 2018 Mac Mini and the 2019 iMac, the size of the SSD has a significant impact on write performance, although the read performance is identical. These same sources are saying this only holds true up to the 1 TB SSD, with big gains going up from 256 to 512 GB (on the mini) and going from 512 to 1 TB on both machines.

Is my understanding of this correct? Is the gain large enough to matter?
https://barefeats.com/mac-mini-2018-versus-other-macs.html

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Thanks. This seems to have been written back when the 2018 Mini was newly released. The "iMac 5K" in their comparisons refers to: "4.2GHz 4-core i7, 64G RAM, Pro 580 GPU, 1TB flash storage". Would I be safe in assuming these numbers would be identical with the 2019 model? The 2019 iMacs don't use a different controller for the SSD, or any other changes that would be relevant to SSD speeds, right?

This article doesn't seem to address the 2 TB SSD for either the Mini or the iMac. Anyone know whether, and to what extent stepping up from 1 to 2 TB would impact read and write performance?

The WRITE comparisons line up with what I had been thinking, with huge gains by going from 256 to 512, and from 512 to 1 TB. Based on this, it sounds like no sane person would ever get less than the 1 TB model, unless they're ok with losing literally half of the write performance, or losing 75% of it by dropping down to 256. Are the people using 256 literally just not writing to the internal drive and using external storage for everything?

But with READS, am I reading these graphs incorrectly or something? The READ comparison looks like it's saying there's a performance gain by going up from 256 to 512, but then if you step up to 1 TB there's a significant DROP in performance... If that's what this is telling us, how worried should I be about reads dropping from 3141 to 2816. Seems quite significant, and in the wrong direction.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Can anyone say definitively whether or not upgrading the RAM in the Mini voids the warranty? I hate the thought of giving Apple any wiggle room to weasel out of some needed repair, but I also hate the thought of wasting all that money on factory installed RAM.

Is there any way of doing the upgrade in a way that Apple wouldn't notice it? Or is it standard to look up what hardware the machine was originally sold with, and compare it versus what the OS is currently reporting? Would it make sense to hang onto the original RAM and swap it back into the machine before taking it to the Apple Store for repair, or are they somehow going to know that you've opened the case?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

The new MBA will get the updated keyboard if you bring it in for service, it's right in the bulletin.
This is what I thought but someone a few pages back seemed very sure that the 2019 keyboard was only for MBPs so, like, guhh

Also I've searched around on reddit and other places but I still haven't seen any testimonials from people who got hooked up with the 2019 keyboard, which is a little concerning.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I'm considering whether to get the 2019 27" iMac with Core i9 and the Vega 48 graphics option. Every reviewer seems to mention their pleasant surprise that there's little to no thermal throttling, since everyone expected it to be awful when the machine was announced.

How durable do you guys think this machine is going to be over the long term? I wonder how likely it is that a year or two down the road everyone's going to need a logic board replacement or something due to the heat.

It’ll probably be a tank and run forever if you get it with an SSD. Everybody who has a late-model iMac seems pretty happy with theirs. If you’re on a tight budget and really concerned about future-proofing, maybe eschew the Vega and stick with the 580X and put the money saved toward an eGPU down the road.

Can anyone say definitively whether or not upgrading the RAM in the Mini voids the warranty? I hate the thought of giving Apple any wiggle room to weasel out of some needed repair, but I also hate the thought of wasting all that money on factory installed RAM.

Is there any way of doing the upgrade in a way that Apple wouldn't notice it? Or is it standard to look up what hardware the machine was originally sold with, and compare it versus what the OS is currently reporting? Would it make sense to hang onto the original RAM and swap it back into the machine before taking it to the Apple Store for repair, or are they somehow going to know that you've opened the case?

Apple doesn’t care about the RAM in your Mini, in fact it’s officially listed as user-serviceable.

AFAIK they don’t care about the RAM in any of their machines as long as it isn’t supposed to be soldered to the board. Same goes for HDDs I’m pretty sure. Like, if you took a 21” iMac that doesn’t have any access panels and ripped the screen off and replaced the DIMMs and drive inside and put the screen back on with new adhesive tape, and then brought it in for a repair it wouldn’t void the warranty.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the price of that configuration come out to? (assuming you are adding your own RAM)

You might want to consder a refurbished iMac Pro once you're getting into the $35000+ range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

There wasn't any tape or anything I had to break when installing the RAM in my Mini. I used the iFixit toolkit and it wasn't too bad, but be reeeeeeeal careful with the fan connector as folks have broken it.