Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d consider the mid-tier Air: i5 quad core.

Otherwise, maybe consider the cheaper 13” MBP ($1200~)

Or, yeah, do what you can to wait a month or two and see what the ARM Macs look like.

mik posted:

My wife's mid-2012 13" MBP is on its last legs, with some trackpad related KPs recently, and other shenanigans, so it's time to start thinking about a replacement. She only browses and watches videos on it, so I'm hoping it will last long enough to replace it with an ARM macbook at some point. However, if it does die before then, is the base MBA trash? Would it at least be noticeable faster and snappier™ than her current MBP? Hard to quantify I realize, and it appears the MBA is nominally faster based on geekbench scores, but "1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3" seems like a regression.

Slight counterpoint to Comboomer, but I’ve enjoyed my 2020 i3 Air, and it seems plenty capable of the regular computer stuff I do with it. Not that getting the i5 or waiting to see how the ARM Macs shape up is a terrible idea, just that the i3 is OK too in my experience.

I did get a sweet Apple Refurb, so it was pretty cheap too for an Apple at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The 10th gen i3 is actually quite capable and it's faster than the 8th gen i5 in the previous model.

I would spring for the $100 i5 upgrade however because it gets you a 2 more cores and faster GPU as well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's a mistake in terms of optics, but they're adamant that it doesn't reflect impaired performance, so what are you gonna do?

Huh weird. Idk I mean how good can your optics really be when your program is called "Discord".

Here is a screen grab of my energy tab of activity monitor. Brightness is set to 50%, and I am forcing the computer to run on the integrated graphics.

It seems to be doing a lot better. Maybe I just needed to cycle the battery after resetting the SMC and NVRAM?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chinese and Zoom were obviously your killers

Battery cycling and smc resets had nothing to do with it

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I ordered one dock off Amazon from a company called Vava and sadly it only supports one external monitor with macs.

Basically it will only extend the display over to one monitor, every subsequent monitor will get a mirrored display of the first extended one.

I processed a return and got a refund (fortunately). I then went ahead and ordered this larger brick thing from a company called 4URPC which reviews confirm work with the 16in Macbook pro. It also supports full size display port which is good for one of my displays.

I'll post a trip report when it gets here in a few days.

Who knew that getting 2 external monitors with a Mac would be such a pain!

....just get a Totu or CalDigit and be done with it? Its a sub 400 dollar dock on a thousand dollar laptop that isn't agnostic and will work just fine with any other properly equipped laptop. They're the best deal in docking technology, ever lol

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Chinese and Zoom were obviously your killers

Battery cycling and smc resets had nothing to do with it
Yeah Zoom can destroy battery, at least with a virtual background (which I always use for distraction/entertainment). And I'll just assume Chinese = Chrome :v:. Looks like Discord isn't that far off, but if you've been using it eh whatever.

I see Adobe stuff in there so I assume their updater is randomly downloading and installing stuff here and there too, although doesn't look like it's had much effect in the 12 hour power stat there at least.

And uh, I'm curious about VLC vs others, a quick search showed some people complaining about it. If you have nothing tying you to VLC you could try something like IINA and comparing the energy impact while playing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, it's not that the 2020 i3 Air is bad, it's that the 2020 i5 Air is so much better for the extra hundo that it's kind of a no-brainer, compared to the 2020 i7 Air which doesn't get you anywhere near as much more from the i5 despite the even steeper upgrade cost.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

And uh, I'm curious about VLC vs others, a quick search showed some people complaining about it. If you have nothing tying you to VLC you could try something like IINA and comparing the energy impact while playing.

I always use VLC AND A BIG FOLDER OF MP3’s because I’m a boomer. It doesn’t hurt battery life at all

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Crunchy Black posted:

....just get a Totu or CalDigit and be done with it? Its a sub 400 dollar dock on a thousand dollar laptop that isn't agnostic and will work just fine with any other properly equipped laptop. They're the best deal in docking technology, ever lol

I just ordered a the Totu dock. I'm going to return the other weirdo Chinese one (I'm not going to even bother trying it). The Totu has two full size DP ports and a HDMI port so it's perfect for me. It's also only $170 so it's kind of a no brainer.

japtor posted:

Yeah Zoom can destroy battery, at least with a virtual background (which I always use for distraction/entertainment). And I'll just assume Chinese = Chrome :v:. Looks like Discord isn't that far off, but if you've been using it eh whatever.

I see Adobe stuff in there so I assume their updater is randomly downloading and installing stuff here and there too, although doesn't look like it's had much effect in the 12 hour power stat there at least.

japtor posted:

Yeah I would imagine that the Adobe CC suite is probably phoning home a lot.

I've mostly been using VLC to watch my 10 bit Chinese cartoons tbh so that could b a drain as well.

My last cycle (last night) I got 5 hours of screen on time and still had 16% left. Honestly 5-6 hours is in the acceptable range for me.

I'm going to do another one today and see if anything changes.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Anyone else wishing hard for the 12" MacBook to return in ARM form?

I love my lil' Rose Gold 12". It's the perfect travel machine, especially for planes and airports and tiny rentals. It's iPad-sized to carry around. I also use it quite a bit around the house as a web browser.

Of course, it's full of compromises. Not the best keyboard. Weirdly ancient 480p camera. The one port (+ discrete headphones jack) is surprisingly livable for my use case. But my biggest complaint is that it's slooooow, especially for a 2017 laptop. I bought mine on eBay so the price was right, but I'd probably pay retail $$ for a model that fixes a bunch of these issues while retaining the perfect lightweight travel form factor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

admiraldennis posted:

I love my lil' Rose Gold 12". It's the perfect travel machine, especially for planes and airports and tiny rentals. It's iPad-sized to carry around. I also use it quite a bit around the house as a web browser.

Of course, it's full of compromises. Not the best keyboard. Weirdly ancient 480p camera. The one port (+ discrete headphones jack) is surprisingly livable for my use case. But my biggest complaint is that it's slooooow, especially for a 2017 laptop. I bought mine on eBay so the price was right, but I'd probably pay retail $$ for a model that fixes a bunch of these issues while retaining the perfect lightweight travel form factor.

I liked mine. Dogshit keyboard, I replaced it with an eBay keyboard and got rid of it, before the keyboard recalls.

I was an 11" Air guy, though. This was the perfect replacement, because you could run "1440x900" instead of 1366x768

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

admiraldennis posted:

Yes. This is my most desired Apple product and I will absolutely buy it if/when it is released. I’ve tried an iPad so many times and it never works for me because I 1) prefer the laptop form factor 2) like macOS. I have a 16” MBP and I’ll still pick one of these up to compliment it (or maybe trade the 16” for an iMac).

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

64bit_Dophins posted:

Lol

I have one of those 2nd Gen Thinkpad USB C docks but apparently it doesn't work with the newer touch-bar macbook pros.

I'm looking on amazon and there are a million different dock options. I just need to drive two regular 1080p displays.

Anyone have any experience with this or have a recommendation?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855GZ7PT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r52EFbB2N8RWQ

I've had hood luck with this one so far. Haven't done a lot of plugging / unplugging since I got it during COVID times so I'm not sure the long term reliability or anything. I use it with one monitor currently, but I have tried it with two monitors and it works fine. Only reason I use one monitor is my 2nd one quality deteriorated and I have yet to order a replacement.

E: Been using it since June

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Apex Rogers posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855GZ7PT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r52EFbB2N8RWQ

I've had hood luck with this one so far. Haven't done a lot of plugging / unplugging since I got it during COVID times so I'm not sure the long term reliability or anything. I use it with one monitor currently, but I have tried it with two monitors and it works fine. Only reason I use one monitor is my 2nd one quality deteriorated and I have yet to order a replacement.

E: Been using it since June

Nice! Thanks for the recommendation.

I ordered this one based on a previous rec. I need 2-3 monitor support. I'll post a trip update when it gets here tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838WTFD1/

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Wow, that one looks pretty legit. Three monitor support even

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

grahm posted:

Yes. This is my most desired Apple product and I will absolutely buy it if/when it is released. I’ve tried an iPad so many times and it never works for me because I 1) prefer the laptop form factor 2) like macOS. I have a 16” MBP and I’ll still pick one of these up to compliment it (or maybe trade the 16” for an iMac).

needs that terraced battery they never shipped

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Apex Rogers posted:

Wow, that one looks pretty legit. Three monitor support even

The reviews seem to confirm that it works. I really like that it has two full sized DP ports because the monitors I have for my WFH setup both use DP.

I hope it actually does work. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that you need a dock that supports the Apple DisplayLink drivers.

Honestly I don't really know what that means but having already tried two docks that don't do the job I'm hoping that this one comes through.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I've kept my screen at 60% brightness (a little higher than 50%) and I've been forcing the screen on using the Amphetamine utility.

The battery life is actually really impressive now. I guess the people on Macrumors were actually right about the battery having a 'break in' period.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've kept my screen at 60% brightness (a little higher than 50%) and I've been forcing the screen on using the Amphetamine utility.

The battery life is actually really impressive now. I guess the people on Macrumors were actually right about the battery having a 'break in' period.

Is it new? The battery burn in period could be due to higher power draw from indexing and set up shenanigans.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

cowofwar posted:

Is it new? The battery burn in period could be due to higher power draw from indexing and set up shenanigans.

Yes it is brand new. I heard that it takes a few days for spotlight to finish indexing?

I'm not sure but the first two days I was only getting 3 hours of battery life tops and now I'm doing more than double that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Spotlight for days...lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sorry to bring this up again but I couldn't find the exact YATENG adapter you listed, but this one looks like it will do the job just the same, correct?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I still don't understand why there's any Spotlight setup time at all. A fresh install is in a completely known state, why doesn't it have a prebuilt Spotlight database?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Speaker posted:

Sorry to bring this up again but I couldn't find the exact YATENG adapter you listed, but this one looks like it will do the job just the same, correct?

Yeah, that should be fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

admiraldennis posted:

yes so hard, i still want a modern vaio p

Bob Morales posted:

I liked mine. Dogshit keyboard, I replaced it with an eBay keyboard and got rid of it, before the keyboard recalls.

I was an 11" Air guy, though. This was the perfect replacement, because you could run "1440x900" instead of 1366x768

my 2010 11 incher now lives as my bedputer

Malcolm XML posted:

needs that terraced battery they never shipped

didn’t it ship in the 12-inch macbook, at least?

fwiw i still use my 2012 rmbp, and i have always gotten better battery life with safari than with chrome, even now, ymmv

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

I still don't understand why there's any Spotlight setup time at all. A fresh install is in a completely known state, why doesn't it have a prebuilt Spotlight database?

The OS can’t really make that assumption, you could have copied a bunch of files to your fresh install between install and first boot using another OS X install, or more likely in enterprise a scripted custom install.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

The OS can’t really make that assumption, you could have copied a bunch of files to your fresh install between install and first boot using another OS X install, or more likely in enterprise a scripted custom install.

Yep, esp because Apple has the migration assistant (which is actually surprisingly amazing) to restore files from other macs/time machine upon first boot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roadie posted:

"spotlight setup" is really just a catch-all term for all the housekeeping and optimizing the OS does when it's first booted. it's just a whole bunch of weird crap that seems to happen for some dumb reason.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd chalked it up to needing to index poo poo in whatever written language is being used. I'm probably wrong.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

There’s also photoanalysisd but I don’t think that runs under battery power

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Everyone told me that I would want to go back to a 13in after using the 16 in for awhile and I'm already starting to see what they meant.

Using my 14in X1 Carbon 6gen for work, my macbook feels huge and heavy by comparison.

I am also looking forward to apple making a smaller ARM macbook.

I always liked the old 11in Macbook air. If the new ARM book is 11-12 inches and is around $600 (wishful thinking). I think it would be a no brainer. Could they be going after the chromebook/education market?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Could they be going after the chromebook/education market?

That's what the iPad is for

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Bob Morales posted:

That's what the iPad is for

Right but wouldn't it be possible for them to make a touchscreen 11in laptop that runs iOS apps if they are running ARM?

I think that's incredibly ambitious honestly just typing it out I know that it'll never happen.

Still pretty interesting to imagine running iOS apps on the new ARM macs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's not that ambitious, imo, they could easily do it if they wanted to. in fact i'm sure they've tested it out in some secret lab. for the time being, though, they'd rather you buy a macbook and an ipad if you really need both experiences.

i know touchscreens on laptops are popular but honestly aside from when i'm just using it to scroll or web browse on my lap (which is better done on an ipad, usually), i don't find the touchscreen laptop experience at all compelling.

to be clear, though, i'm not so obtuse as to think that others might not...but ugh, all those prints on my laptop display

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mediaphage posted:

it's not that ambitious, imo, they could easily do it if they wanted to. in fact i'm sure they've tested it out in some secret lab. for the time being, though, they'd rather you buy a macbook and an ipad if you really need both experiences.

i know touchscreens on laptops are popular but honestly aside from when i'm just using it to scroll or web browse on my lap (which is better done on an ipad, usually), i don't find the touchscreen laptop experience at all compelling.

to be clear, though, i'm not so obtuse as to think that others might not...but ugh, all those prints on my laptop display

My work laptop (X1 Carbon) has a touch screen and I never use it either.

I know that the Thinkpad Yoga was really popular in the education market for awhile, but I'm pretty sure the bulk of it is either iPad or Chromebook.

I would much rather just have a good trackpad or a mouse.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

My work laptop (X1 Carbon) has a touch screen and I never use it either.

I know that the Thinkpad Yoga was really popular in the education market for awhile, but I'm pretty sure the bulk of it is either iPad or Chromebook.

I would much rather just have a good trackpad or a mouse.

maybe it's different with some of the chromebooks that support android apps but there aren't even really any good experiences for using touch on most windows laptops aside from aforementioned web browsing (ish) and like, maps.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The amount of poo poo in Apple's Giftlagerung would make BMW blush.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Crunchy Black posted:

The amount of poo poo in Apple's Giftlagerung would make BMW blush.

I found it really funny that BMW was the first car company to work with apple on their car remote integration thing in the iOS wallet app.

Very appropriate. Very on brand.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don't like the idea of touch screens on laptops because it trains people that they should touch everything to make it work.
Thats how TVs get fingerprints or worse.
It also ads cost to a device that X% of the users will never use, thereby driving up their product cost and making them at least some level more hesitant to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The Totu usb-c dock is a major win. Thank you Crunchy Black for recommending it.

You do have to install the displaylink drivers from the displaylink website to get DP to work btw.

It really was no problem though just FYI.

Now ya boi has 3 monitors. Time to become a Forex day trader #finance (just kidding).

I should also mention that the included power brick tops out at 65w but despite this it still manages to charge the 16in MBP (albeit very slowly).

I went into it knowing that this would be a bit of a toss up and was pleasantly surprised. Very nice to be able to do everything through 1 cable.

Steve Job's dream of ADC is finally realized (and apple had nothing to do with it).

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 6, 2020