Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
looks like some dude has windows ARM VMed up on m1, which can then run winx86 apps "not as fast as rosetta but close"

so hey

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/27/arm-windows-virtualization-m1-mac/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mediaphage posted:

looks like some dude has windows ARM VMed up on m1, which can then run winx86 apps "not as fast as rosetta but close"

so hey

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/27/arm-windows-virtualization-m1-mac/

oh my god sometimes I forget how loving stupid and unhinged from reality your average 9to5Mac/MacRumors comment is

if I didn’t have 30 years of baggage and fondness tying me to the ecosystem and my only in to Macs and their users was the news websites I’d hate all our guts too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh my god sometimes I forget how loving stupid and unhinged from reality your average 9to5Mac/MacRumors comment is

if I didn’t have 30 years of baggage and fondness tying me to the ecosystem and my only in to Macs and their users was the news websites I’d hate all our guts too

yeah id read youtube comments before those sites tbh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

yeah id read youtube comments before those sites tbh

honestly YouTube comments have gotten much better in the last few years, at least for all the weird niche hobbyist poo poo I follow.

Ars comments/forums are pretty ok. But the forums or comments of any purestrain Apple site is just “idiot_knownothing_apple_fanboy.txt”

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

On my M1-based MBP, the battery settings panel doesn't have the checkboxes to enable "Power Nap."

Did they do away with it, or is this now always enabled, now that there are four low power cores to play with?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

On my M1-based MBP, the battery settings panel doesn't have the checkboxes to enable "Power Nap."

Did they do away with it, or is this now always enabled, now that there are four low power cores to play with?

Both? Seems like it was specific to saving power in Intel machines and isn’t necessary nor compatible with Apple’s home baked chips

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My inhibitions were compromised and I ordered a base M1 Air from Best Buy to try for a few weeks and see what the hubbub was about. Comparing it to the big boy 16” this thing is tiny, it’s nice using a laptop that actually feels comfortable in the lap and isn’t a large warm slab. Besides the better “lap feel” the battery lasts twice as long doing the same nonsense I’m paid to do and it’s way cooler while doing it, I can even hook it up to my monitor without it heating up like crazy for no reason. I tried I’ve been very impressed with it the past few days and haven’t felt the need to touch my 16” since transferring my stuff over. Two day rating 9/10

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Looking for some screen advice. My dad’s 2013 iMac 27” died recently and I think this is a good time to transition him to a laptop as he lives between 2 countries for half the year so rather than having 2 computers which he has to update / let sync every time he gets to his destination, he can just take his laptop with him and be good to go.

If I get him the 2020 M1 air what’s the best way to have it docked. I’m thinking of having him get the 4K LG Ultrafine from the apple store as well, hooking the air to that and using keyboard / mouse so it’s pretty much like what he’s used to (if he needs to FaceTime he can open the air up for that or use his phone).

Is there a better screen / alternative / pitfall to consider? Does the air have any issues powering the LG display?

He’s mostly web browsing / excel / pdf-ing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Leempi posted:

Looking for some screen advice. My dad’s 2013 iMac 27” died recently and I think this is a good time to transition him to a laptop as he lives between 2 countries for half the year so rather than having 2 computers which he has to update / let sync every time he gets to his destination, he can just take his laptop with him and be good to go.

If I get him the 2020 M1 air what’s the best way to have it docked. I’m thinking of having him get the 4K LG Ultrafine from the apple store as well, hooking the air to that and using keyboard / mouse so it’s pretty much like what he’s used to (if he needs to FaceTime he can open the air up for that or use his phone).

Is there a better screen / alternative / pitfall to consider? Does the air have any issues powering the LG display?

He’s mostly web browsing / excel / pdf-ing

Ultrafine is fine and will be easy to control via MacOS’ commands. It behaves and functions like a native Apple display. It is also extremely color accurate and AFAIK reasonably set up from the factory to go straight to work without much calibration the way that Mac panels are.

However it does this at the expense of cost and compatibility with other systems. There are cheaper 4K displays out there, hell there are cheaper TVs that work reasonably well as displays out there. If cost is a real concern and your dad isn’t editing photos and he might like to use the display with another input or non-Apple device, then there are a couple of good, less pricey USB-C displays out there that work similarly well minus the software integration.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The monitor I'd immediately point out to get instead of the LG Ultrafine is the HP Z27, which is dang good in general, works as a hub and power supply via USB-C, and is available at $440 as a refurb.

Leempi posted:

(if he needs to FaceTime he can open the air up for that or use his phone).

If you can afford a 4K monitor, you can afford a Logitech C920S to stick on top of it. You plug it into the monitor's USB ports, so it's still only a one-cable connection to the laptop.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 28, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Endorsing the Logitech webcam. I have an older model from when my (now) wife and I were navigating a long distance relationship. We took ‘em back out of storage a few weeks into Pandemic isolation.

Having a truly HD webcam looks so much nicer and sharper than the built in MacBook cams and makes a difference to what video calls feel like. The ability to reposition it so that I’m looking at the camera when I’ve got Zoom on the external monitor makes it possible to feel like I’m making eye contact with the people on the other end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Now it's mostly just spergs complaining about keyboard backlighting being uneven, or the machines getting too warm when running 15 loving CPU monitoring apps, and whether CleanMyMacXMemoryClean will 'hurt my mac'

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you want a dock specifically the Caldigit TS is the only one I'd recommend for real.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

bus hustler posted:

If you want a dock specifically the Caldigit TS is the only one I'd recommend for real.

Just note that if you're like me and like to use Logitech devices that use a Unifying Receiver, all of Caldigit's docks seem to have issues with the Unifying Receiver due to (poor shielding of?) the USB-A ports, since they apparently throw off quite a bit of EMI. Otherwise, yeah, they're great.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

SourKraut posted:

Just note that if you're like me and like to use Logitech devices that use a Unifying Receiver, all of Caldigit's docks seem to have issues with the Unifying Receiver due to (poor shielding of?) the USB-A ports, since they apparently throw off quite a bit of EMI. Otherwise, yeah, they're great.

Anecdotes are not data, etc: I use the TS with a unifying receiver with no issues.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I use the Unifying Receivers too with the TS3 plus, but a while back I found that Logitech had a firmware update specifically for the receiver.

Once I ran that update my mouse was rock solid..

Strange that I bought an M330 Silent which was kinda new and it's receiver needed the update as well..

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm looking for a good USB C to regular USB hub. I've got an Anker one that I kinda like, but the cable is short and it only has four ports. Any recommendations?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apple M1 from a developers perspective:

https://steipete.com/posts/apple-silicon-m1-a-developer-perspective/

Excerpts:

Xcode runs FAST on the M1. Compiling the PSPDFKit PDF SDK (debug, arm64) can almost compete with the fastest Intel-based MacBook Pro Apple offers to date, with 8:49 min vs 7:31 min. For comparison, my Hackintosh builds the same in less than 5 minutes.

One can’t overstate how impressive this is for a fan-less machine. Apple’s last experiment with fan-less MacBooks was the 12-inch version from 2017, which builds the same project in 41 minutes.

Running older versions of macOS might be more problematic. We currently support macOS 10.14 with our AppKit PDF SDK and macOS 10.15 with the Catalyst PDF SDK, both OS releases that require testing. It remains to be seen if VMWare or Parallels include a complete x64 emulation layer. This would likely be really slow, so I wouldn’t count on it.

Lastly, 16 GB RAM just isn’t a lot. When running parallel tests, the machine starts to heavily swap and performance really goes down the drain. This will be even more problematic with virtual machines running. Future machines will offer 32 GB options to alleviate this issue.

The apps currently work through Rosetta 2, however building via Gradle is extremely slow. Gradle creates code at runtime, which seems a particular bad combination with the Rosetta 2 ahead-of-time translation logic.

There’s the occasional app that can’t be translated and fails on startup (e.g. Beamer or the Google Drive “Backup and Sync” client), but this is rare. Some apps are confused about their place on disk and ask to be moved to the Applications directory, when really it’s just the translated binary that runs somewhere else. Most of these dialogs can be ignored. Some apps (e.g. Visual Studio Code) block auto-updating as the translated app location is readonly.

Google just shipped Chrome that runs on ARM, however there’s still quite a performance gap between it and Apple Safari, which just flies on Apple Silicon.

Electron-based apps are slow if they run on Rosetta. It seems the highly optimized V8 JavaScript compiler blocks ahead-of-time translation. The latest stable version of Electron (Version 11) already fully supports Apple Silicon, and companies like Slack already updated their beta version to run natively.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

One of the things that's really underrated about these M1 macs is how they can work like an iPhone or Android phone to retrieve notifications while generally staying in a deep sleep 99% of the time. I'm able to open up the laptop that's been sitting by itself, unplugged and my mail is fully up to date with all the stuff I've gotten in the last couple of hours since I set it down and closed it. And the battery won't have noticeably drained.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

One of the things that's really underrated about these M1 macs is how they can work like an iPhone or Android phone to retrieve notifications while generally staying in a deep sleep 99% of the time. I'm able to open up the laptop that's been sitting by itself, unplugged and my mail is fully up to date with all the stuff I've gotten in the last couple of hours since I set it down and closed it. And the battery won't have noticeably drained.

That feature is 8 years old

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Huh, really?

Windows definitely doesn't do it so it's a new thing for me on a laptop.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/understanding-power-nap--mac-44643

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i definitely remember them making a thing of it some time after they switched to intel

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am just still pissed off that Apple won't make an iMessage app on PCs or something. Not even on a browser window. I understood before, but now they have cloud backups of messages.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If they were super serious about security, they could do it how WhatsApp web does where you’d have to scan a QR code within iMessage or something. I just think they know it’s one of the things keeping people on Mac/iPhone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought that was one of the things I would miss the most switching to an Android phone but honestly I don't miss it that much and Google Messages for Web works well enough for the few times I want to send a link or a pic from the computer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used to use iMessage for a few friends but literally everyone in my entire country uses WhatsApp now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jokes posted:

I am just still pissed off that Apple won't make an iMessage app on PCs or something. Not even on a browser window. I understood before, but now they have cloud backups of messages.
Same except for FaceTime. I remember when FaceTime was announced they said they were going to open the protocol up so everyone could use it, but instead here we are with everyone using loving godawful Zoom for all their video chats.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

Same except for FaceTime. I remember when FaceTime was announced they said they were going to open the protocol up so everyone could use it, but instead here we are with everyone using loving godawful Zoom for all their video chats.

i was too; my understanding was that patent encumbrance got in the way of this. is that true?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Any company with a neglected video communication platform is probably painfully aware of how they missed the boat.

Like microsoft acquired skype and I guess it’s in someone’s backyard somewhere. I’ve had external partners schedule meetings with zoom, google meet, ringcentral, and microsoft teams.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

wdarkk posted:

I'm looking for a good USB C to regular USB hub. I've got an Anker one that I kinda like, but the cable is short and it only has four ports. Any recommendations?

I read a lot of good reviews about the Vava ones sold on Amazon. I ended up ordering one but my Air won't get here for another month to test it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mediaphage posted:

i was too; my understanding was that patent encumbrance got in the way of this. is that true?

Yes. VirnetX has already won hundreds of millions of dollars from Apple on FaceTime-related patents and I believe there are still a few other matters still pending in court.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Apple lost a lawsuit which means they had to change Facetime from a P2P system to a centralized system, using Apple's servers. This killed the path to making it an open standard if they have to run the servers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

loving software patents.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Anecdotes are not data, etc: I use the TS with a unifying receiver with no issues.

No poo poo, but there are a lot of individuals who have reported issues with them, to the extent that Caldigit has even confirmed it has been an issue and recommended that affected individuals use a USB extension cable to shift the unifying receiver further from the dock.

So it’s great that yours is working great and I’m envious, but it’s clearly a repeatable issue others have had, including myself with two Caldigit USB-C Pro docks that I own that have this issue on both. And of course there are a lot of other variables, but you shouldn’t simply dismiss someone’s experience because “mine works!”

Since it’s something that Caldigit has publicly indicated that they know about it, I was simply wanting to make them aware of it because having more information, anecdotal or not, is never a bad thing in terms of being an informed buyer.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Definitely a thing that happens and not limited to caldigit. My ms keyboard RF receiver can’t be plugged into most usb3 sockets because of interference. Usb2 extension cable fixes it up.

I have a separate issue with the caldigit dock where my 4K screen will top out at 30hz now. Very frustrating because it used to work fine and now it’s all fucky and I haven’t changed a thing.

Apple just need to make a loving dock and USB hub that doesn’t suck poo poo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

Definitely a thing that happens and not limited to caldigit. My ms keyboard RF receiver can’t be plugged into most usb3 sockets because of interference. Usb2 extension cable fixes it up.

I have a separate issue with the caldigit dock where my 4K screen will top out at 30hz now. Very frustrating because it used to work fine and now it’s all fucky and I haven’t changed a thing.

Apple just need to make a loving dock and USB hub that doesn’t suck poo poo.

Yeah I agree, and I also wish Apple would make a dock. I also haven’t had any issues with Dell’s built in KVMs on the monitors that have them.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

M1X rumor- 8 power cores, 4 efficiency cores, launching in a 16” MBP first half of 2021.

Just curious what site this is from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Might be this tweet:

https://twitter.com/LeaksApplePro/status/1330417977662054400