Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Recovery mode looks funky too. PRAM and SMC didn’t change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eddiewalker posted:

Recovery mode looks funky too. PRAM and SMC didn’t change anything.

time for an M1 Macbook Air? Or at least an external display for now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eddiewalker posted:

My wife’s 2017 mbp looks like this now. All the colors seem to be there, but it’s like washed out or inverted or something.

Is there any chance that this is a software problem? A new display probably exceeds the computer’s value.

They extended the display cable repair time period didn’t they? Might be worth a shot taking it in

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have a 15” MBP mid 2014 that has the latest Big Sur on it. Last night I was using it in bed and had the brightness at 1 before off. This morning I boot to a black screen. I reset smc and nvram. Nothing. Plug it in to an external monitor and it acts like it’s in clamshell mode. Any ideas on further troubleshooting?

I’m almost certain this is related to the brightness being so low when it feel asleep as something similar has happened to me in the past but it’s totally unresponsive to f1/f2.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What happens if you hit command-F1 with the external monitor connected?

Big Sur is still kinda hosed up for dealing with external monitors, regardless of platform..

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm getting back into programming in my free time and updating my skill set because unsurprisingly no one wants Perl devs anymore. Any opinions on the 13" M1 Macbook Pro for this purpose? I know it's overkill in terms for programming specifically but I mean more the screen real estate. I can't go to a store and try one out in my area due to lockdowns. Is 13" sufficient for just hobby coding and general web/email/whatever stuff? I do have dual monitors at home I could plug into as well but the goal of getting the MBP would be to have more portability and break up routine a bit. I'm just worried I will hate how small the screen is but I've never really owned a laptop before, I'm a lifetime desktop user.

I guess Apple does have a return policy so perhaps I should just take the plunge. Is 256GB enough after system allocations and whatnot? I know I definitely want 16GB of memory because if I get this, I'll keep it for a long time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll be weird at first but you get used to it. But I always find myself wishing I had a dual monitor. Just make sure you get the highest ram you can. I have 1tb on my laptop because gently caress hooking up externals to a laptop. 256 is not much space though. I have 256 on my mini and I have about 100 gigs left after installing all the programs I need for programming

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm getting back into programming in my free time and updating my skill set because unsurprisingly no one wants Perl devs anymore. Any opinions on the 13" M1 Macbook Pro for this purpose? I know it's overkill in terms for programming specifically but I mean more the screen real estate. I can't go to a store and try one out in my area due to lockdowns. Is 13" sufficient for just hobby coding and general web/email/whatever stuff? I do have dual monitors at home I could plug into as well but the goal of getting the MBP would be to have more portability and break up routine a bit. I'm just worried I will hate how small the screen is but I've never really owned a laptop before, I'm a lifetime desktop user.

I guess Apple does have a return policy so perhaps I should just take the plunge. Is 256GB enough after system allocations and whatnot? I know I definitely want 16GB of memory because if I get this, I'll keep it for a long time.

Get an Air instead and take the $200 in savings and use it to get 16gb RAM and 512gb storage.

And buy it using the Apple education store if it’s available in your country.

The M1 Air and M1 Pro will be functionally indistinguishable for your needs outside of some extra battery life

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Gunslinger posted:

I do have dual monitors at home I could plug into as well

Not with an M1 Mac.

You might want to wait for gen 2 on this one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you are doing Dev and need docker or VMs I'd go intel over M1.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah this is me. My work gave me the option for an M1 but our workloads are containerized, and the tooling just isn't there yet, unless you want to compile everything yourself. This isn't to knock M1, it's just that it takes a while for the free/unpaid/open source takes a little while longer to get access to M1, validate compatibility and automate the build of their tools etc. Is it possible now? Yes. Will you be able to hit the ground running? Probably no

My guess is containerized workloads should be seamless on M1/M2 by July/August 2021

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Im using docker on m1, its runs x86 docker images ok, building x86 images on m1 seems buggy, I've had it hang. Luckily for me I was tweak my stack a bit and all my docker images are native arm. If you are are using a normal linux web stack node/python/postgres/mysql/nginx/apache etc everything is arm native already.

If you are not tied to x86 now is a great time to switch everything to arm, with aws graviton servers, iphone/android dev and an m1 mac you have an arm only infrastructure that will be cheaper overall.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get an Air instead and take the $200 in savings and use it to get 16gb RAM and 512gb storage.

And buy it using the Apple education store if it’s available in your country.

The M1 Air and M1 Pro will be functionally indistinguishable for your needs outside of some extra battery life

Why the Air instead? Also someone mentioned you can't plug into dual monitors? Could I at least plug into a single external and use the laptop screen as well?

In terms of storage, I guess I'll go 512GB then and 16GB memory. I don't really do a lot of container stuff yet, it's mostly hobbyist programming in Python and I planned on doing some Django stuff. I would imagine the market will catch up to Apple silicon a lot faster than I will update my skillset.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m a big fan of the pro if you are going to do some real work on it. The air is perfectly fine for a lot of stuff too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Why the Air instead? Also someone mentioned you can't plug into dual monitors? Could I at least plug into a single external and use the laptop screen as well?

In terms of storage, I guess I'll go 512GB then and 16GB memory. I don't really do a lot of container stuff yet, it's mostly hobbyist programming in Python and I planned on doing some Django stuff. I would imagine the market will catch up to Apple silicon a lot faster than I will update my skillset.

Because it’s the same M1 chip in a slightly more thermally constrained package and with 20% less battery capacity. Look at the benchmarks and comparisons to see which model would work best for your needs—my hunch is you’ll be fine with the Air. If you have to choose between a M1 MBP with 256gb of storage and an equivalently priced M1 Air with 512gb then the Air is the better choice.

If you can afford to spend the extra money then by all means get the Pro. But don’t get a notebook computer with 256gb of storage, you’ll loving hate it and butt up against that limit in no time. 512gb is a good comfortable amount for most people.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

An M1 MacBook is an extremely capable dev machine. The difference between an Air and a Pro for this use case is minimal and if going with an Air means you can get more storage, do it. An M1 Air will be identical to a Pro unless you're pushing it to the limit for extended periods of time (~10 minutes). It does have a smaller battery however.

Whether or not you'll be happy doing development on a 13" is hard to say. I've been doing development solely on a 13" since 2014 and honestly don't find it limiting at all. Granted I'm probably atypical in that I don't use IDEs and so don't have a bunch of panes fighting over that real estate, but between Spaces and gestures/keyboard shortcuts I think macOS is great at making the most of that 13".

As has been mentioned, M1 MacBooks can't drive 2 external monitors directly (unless using DisplayLink but this is a degraded experience compared to driving them directly). You can drive an external monitor and use the laptop screen.

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't think this is something that should hold you back from buying an M1 MacBook unless you specifically need x86 containers/virtual machines. If you just want to run Linux on your M1, it's entirely possible that the fact that it's ARM instead of x86 is completely irrelevant to you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

What happens if you hit command-F1 with the external monitor connected?

Nothing happens, and ctrl+f1 brings up the "system preferences > displays" window. Machine is acting like laptop display doesn't exist.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

what about apple-F1?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Autodesk Eagle works on M1/Rosetta exactly as well as it did natively on any platform. lovely, but precisely as lovely as before!

I love this thing. The keyboard feels nice. :3:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok thanks for much for all of the helpful answers guys. Money was good this year and work will spring for half so I think I'll go for the MBP. I was going to wait until the 14" model lands but something better is always around the corner anyway and these seem to have good resale value if I hate it. I will get the 16GB memory model with the 512GB of storage and do my best to avoid the news in September when the newer ones are announced!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eddiewalker posted:

My wife’s 2017 mbp looks like this now. All the colors seem to be there, but it’s like washed out or inverted or something.

Is there any chance that this is a software problem? A new display probably exceeds the computer’s value.

If it's a software problem, it is that System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Invert colors is checked.

e: Or any of the other options under there which globally affects colors. The Color Filters tab comes to mind. You could also try disabling True Tone if your Mac supports that.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 8, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

what about apple-F1?

cmd-f1 does nothing. i really don't think the display is dead but can't assume anything else.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BobHoward posted:

If it's a software problem, it is that System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Invert colors is checked.

e: Or any of the other options under there which globally affects colors. The Color Filters tab comes to mind. You could also try disabling True Tone if your Mac supports that.
Looks like a pinched display cable. The effect is too random to just be an accessibility option.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

American McGay posted:

Looks like a pinched display cable. The effect is too random to just be an accessibility option.

I can't make sense out of it as a display cable thing, though. Like OP said, "All the colors seem to be there, but it’s like washed out or inverted or something." I'm not seeing the kind of problems you'd expect from one of the bits of R, G, or B stuck at 0 or stuck at 1.

(and TBH, I think a 2017 is new enough that it should be an embedded DisplayPort cable, not a parallel standard where a single wire stuck at 0 would globally affect all pixels. For eDP, you should get something along the lines of static or massively scrambled areas of the display from a bad cable.)

In any case, I mentioned it mostly because it's free to check those settings. Also I played around with some of the color filters and they seem like they can do funky things you might not expect (looks like they've got stuff tailored to different kinds of color blindness now).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Perplx posted:

If you are not tied to x86 now is a great time to switch everything to arm, with aws graviton servers, iphone/android dev and an m1 mac you have an arm only infrastructure that will be cheaper overall.

This, but if you were really dead set on doing 40 hours a week of Android development on an M1 I'd still wait it out. There's no ARM-native versions of the SDK tools, there's no working emulator, and while IntelliJ is M1-native now, Android Studio hasn't pulled that change in yet.

I don't sweat it for simple side project stuff, the stuff runs okay in Rosetta and I can plug in a phone in lieu of an emulator, but it's going to be a drag if that's your day job.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Oh here's your problem" *unkinks display cable, giant bulging obstruction suddenly flushes through and all the colors come spilling out of the monitor and onto the floor*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Data Graham posted:

"Oh here's your problem" *unkinks display cable, giant bulging obstruction suddenly flushes through and all the colors come spilling out of the monitor and onto the floor*

Ugh, hate color clogs

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I just got the m1 air and i'm getting insanely slow wifi, like 5 mbps sometimes randomly or it cuts out. My ipad and iphone right next to it get 100+ mbps on speedtest and don't have any problems, anyone know why this would be?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Return it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

African AIDS cum posted:

I just got the m1 air and i'm getting insanely slow wifi, like 5 mbps sometimes randomly or it cuts out. My ipad and iphone right next to it get 100+ mbps on speedtest and don't have any problems, anyone know why this would be?

You got any USB stuff plugged in?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Agree with this. It’s possible it’s a bad unit and you should at least get Apple to check it out and see if it’s defective.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question bsometimes when I poo poo off my mid 2020 macbook pro it crashes to a blue staticy screen, is that normal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stop making GBS threads off it and it won’t happen!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
every time I price out an ideal M1 Mini (16/512) it seems like I might as well add the extra $270 and go for an equivalent Air instead.

Any reason why I’m wrong? Seems the Mini really makes sense comparatively for personal use as a value proposition if you can keep the spec down to 8/256 and get it for $670. Once you start adding options, it makes more sense just to make it a laptop and have it be your “everything” computer. Mainly I want a desktop work/edit/music rig to sit on my desk with my monitor, but right now my 2013 MBP is the most powerful computer I own and does all of that. Really I just want to spend the least money and also a desktop seems cool rn for my needs and work situation.

If I traded in my MBP the $350 would more than cover the difference but I don’t want to just migrate everything over like I did when switching from my old Air to this current MBP seven years ago. Tbh I’d rather hold onto the MBP for the time being. But then I feel weird having two laptops. I could sorta justify going with a 16/256 or 8/256 Mini and keeping all my media and personal poo poo on the MBP but 256gb still seems dangerously small.

There’s a big difference between spending $670 or $850 on a desktop and $1320 on a do-it-all notebook. An Air kitted out with 16/512 would probably cover all of my needs nicely but it’s almost literally double the cost of the most basic Mini.

Either way I would probably want to trade in the computer in a year or two. In that regard a Mini without options will probably recoup more of its value most easily.

Advice?

I should note that I want to do some fairly basic FCPX filmmaking with it (editing lectures into films).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ok Comboomer posted:

every time I price out an ideal M1 Mini (16/512) it seems like I might as well add the extra $270 and go for an equivalent Air instead.

Any reason why I’m wrong? Seems the Mini really makes sense comparatively for personal use as a value proposition if you can keep the spec down to 8/256 and get it for $670. Once you start adding options, it makes more sense just to make it a laptop and have it be your “everything” computer. Mainly I want a desktop work/edit/music rig to sit on my desk with my monitor, but right now my 2013 MBP is the most powerful computer I own and does all of that. Really I just want to spend the least money and also a desktop seems cool rn for my needs and work situation.

If I traded in my MBP the $350 would more than cover the difference but I don’t want to just migrate everything over like I did when switching from my old Air to this current MBP seven years ago. Tbh I’d rather hold onto the MBP for the time being. But then I feel weird having two laptops. I could sorta justify going with a 16/256 or 8/256 Mini and keeping all my media and personal poo poo on the MBP but 256gb still seems dangerously small.

There’s a big difference between spending $670 or $850 on a desktop and $1320 on a do-it-all notebook. An Air kitted out with 16/512 would probably cover all of my needs nicely but it’s almost literally double the cost of the most basic Mini.

Either way I would probably want to trade in the computer in a year or two. In that regard a Mini without options will probably recoup more of its value most easily.

Advice?

I should note that I want to do some fairly basic FCPX filmmaking with it (editing lectures into films).
The Mini only really has two things going for it over the Air: it can drive two monitors and it isn’t thermally constrained like the Air is.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is the M1 dual monitor issue a hardware limitation?

I ordered a 16/512 M1 MBP, still waiting for them to process it. I don't "need" dual monitors and could probably just hook up an external and use the laptop itself as a second screen but it would be nice to have.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think basically it boils down to, do you want to front load the cost of a world class display into your workstation, and how much do you value portability? I think if the M1 air edu pricing wasn't so close to the M1 mini, the mini would be a slam dunk but $900 for a laptop that ought to last you 4+ years is a screaming deal. You can always plug a second monitor into it. Dealers choice

Edit: post 2015 mbp seem to have substantially better support for "standard" 1440p displays, if that helps. My dell ultrasharp looked potato on my 2015 but is crisp and sharp on my new 2021 model

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m pretty sure you can but I need to ask.

You can have a second monitor and an iPad as a display right?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Is the M1 dual monitor issue a hardware limitation?

Yes, the chip only supports two monitor outs. The MBP and Air can drive only one external display since the other display output is hardwired to the built-in screen.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m pretty sure you can but I need to ask.

You can have a second monitor and an iPad as a display right?

Yes, the iPad doesn't count towards that. Same goes for DisplayLink based USB video cards. If your main purpose for another display is to display fairly static content (say, you want a place to put a PDF you're referring to from time to time while you do your work on other displays), DisplayLink is usually very needs suiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Edit: post 2015 mbp seem to have substantially better support for "standard" 1440p displays, if that helps. My dell ultrasharp looked potato on my 2015 but is crisp and sharp on my new 2021 model

2015 rMBPs couldn't do more than 30/24 Hz refresh rate over HDMI, literally every rMBP shipped past 2016 could do 4K @ 60 Hz.

Dunno who to blame, Intel most likely for having crap GPUs pre 2016.