Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

FCKGW posted:

The Magsafe is heavily patented so the reason why no one else is doing is because of Apple! :buddy:

This is such bullshit. It's such a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hatty posted:

What does the Surface use then? Some different standard or something?

Yup

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's some other gadgets like those music playing sunglasses that Bose make that use a magnetic charger. My uneducated thought about those has always been that they're just wireless chargers that use the magnets to stay in range.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
unpopular opinion but i’d rather have magsafe in the back on the left mostly because i’m a lefty and i have all my poo poo like papers and stuff on the left

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FuturePastNow posted:

You can tell when it's not a paid product placement and just "want colorful/aluminum computer for the look" because they'll always cover or modify the logo. If you see that glowing apple, money changed hands.

My only experience with product placement deals was software (Firefox on Supernatural about a thousand years ago), but we didn’t pay for it and it wasn’t obfuscated in any way. I think it depends a bunch on who is making the financial decisions for the media property.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Shows will typically obscure brands to leave their options open when it comes to advertisers. Like if you’re Samsung you’re not gonna sponsor a show where everybody is using Apple products.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

My only experience with product placement deals was software (Firefox on Supernatural about a thousand years ago), but we didn’t pay for it and it wasn’t obfuscated in any way. I think it depends a bunch on who is making the financial decisions for the media property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe9_c8QAM0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It kinda sounds like there are as many forms for product placement to take, and as many authoritative blanket opinions about it, as there are TV shows or movies :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't care if it's relatively seamless in the show. I'd much rather have that than the godawful fake operating systems we seem to see on most shows when someone does something on a computer that look ridiculous. It's only when characters interrupt a show for a couple of minutes to perform what is very obviously an advertisement (like the bones video) that product placement annoys me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is such bullshit. It's such a great idea.

The cynic in me says that Apple is only going to bring back the Magsafe for one product cycle and then kill it again just so their patent doesn't get invalidated. :gerty:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zillow had a big and not-at-all awkward supporting role in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nissan Versa!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO shows in the 2000s had characters watching other HBO shows and it worked pretty well. The funniest was Uncle Junior watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and mistaking Larry David for himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdZhMsSZcA

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

The cynic in me says that Apple is only going to bring back the Magsafe for one product cycle and then kill it again just so their patent doesn't get invalidated. :gerty:

Their original MagSafe patent is going to expire around 2025-2026 regardless.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FCKGW posted:

That’s not how patents work.

I could patent something, throw it in a drawer for 19 years, and still nail your rear end to the wall for infringing on it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

FCKGW posted:

Why doesn't Apple just keep them around? They're great!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

unpopular opinion but i’d rather have magsafe in the back on the left mostly because i’m a lefty and i have all my poo poo like papers and stuff on the left

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Re: MagSafe, I don't miss it. I miss the charging indicator light, but we don't need MagSafe to get that back, do we? I'd much rather have a charger that uses a non-Apple standard and has a removable/easily replaceable cable, especially with how drat prone to fraying those cable jackets were. (Apparently, Apple was using natural rubber, which was MUCH less durable than the common alternatives.) I got real sick of having to pay almost $90 (once tax is factored in) every time that happened. With USB Type C, even if that were to happen, I could just replace the cable, and if I had to replace the brick, I would have no pressing need to pay more for an Apple-branded charger.

And as far as bending USB Type C connectors: From my experience, that's just down to whether or not it's a quality cable or not. My best experiences have been with cables from Ainope and J-SAUX, who boast of having connectors that won't bend. It's been pretty drat accurate in my experience. Pay attention to customer reviews, find brands you like, and try to only buy cables that are "USB certified" or "USB-IF" certified. (I learned that last lesson from cables that didn't seem to agree with fast charging.)

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get the 8 core GPU (if you spec anything higher than 256gb storage on the 7 core they charge you the same price as the 8 core without giving you the missing core, and I still contend that 256 is too small and 512 is much more comfortable), and get 16gb RAM.
Not true, actually. If you go for the configuration I got (512 GB SSD/16 GB RAM), then bumping up the storage and RAM of the base model comes out to $50 less than bumping the base 8 core model up to 16 GB RAM (since it already has a 512 GB SSD). If you use the education store—as everyone should since they don't ask you to prove anything these days—then it's actually a $70 difference. Since I didn't really feel the need to spend any extra money, I just went with the 7 core CPU and haven't had any regrets.

But this kind of thing is presumably why so many odd configurations end up in the refurb store, because Apple doesn't make it clear enough that you should get the $1799 stock model instead of speccing the $1299 model up to $1799. While they have the same size SSD and same amount of RAM, the $1799 stock model has a faster CPU and faster RAM. Each time a customer realizes their mistake during the return period, that computer goes to the refurb store, nonsensical configuration be damned.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

davidbix posted:

While they have the same size SSD and same amount of RAM, the $1799 stock model has a faster CPU and faster RAM.

... what? there is no $1799 stock model of the M1 Air or Pro, it's the GPU which is faster, and the RAM speed doesn't vary

I am confuse

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

FCKGW posted:

The Magsafe is heavily patented so the reason why no one else is doing is because of Apple! :buddy:
No, no, I mean using Thunderbolt or USB-C from the charger and have an Ethernet connection on the charger like Apple's doing with the power brick on the new iMacs. I realise MagSafe is going to be an Apple thing due to patents.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$1800 TAM on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/appleswap/...utm_name=iossmf

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Coincidentally I bought a USB-C gigabit Ethernet adapter with charging pass through for my M1 MacBook a week or so before anyone heard of the iMac power brick innovation and I’ve got to say it does a reasonable impersonation for $15. It’d be perfect if only the dongle had a longer cord so I could throw it behind my desk and forget about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasn't the main selling point of the USB-C connectors that the socket was sturdy enough that if you snap off the cable, it'll just ruin the cable, not your motherboard? (Or is it Lightning and/or Thunderbolt I'm thinking of?)

Because that's what MagSafe saved us all from in the first place, barrel power connectors where if you stomped it off you'd wreck the laptop's internals. But even in the post-MagSafe world, the worst you're going to do is break a USB-C cable.

I'm a big fan of MagSafe as a concept and I want it to come back, but I was under the impression that nobody really considered it a pressing issue of design fragility and a constant risk of major repairs the way it used to be.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought the point of magsafe was that your laptop didn't go crashing to the floor, not weird perpendicular pressure on the motherboard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That too, but I certainly knew of a lot of people whose laptops had hosed up power sockets after some mishap in the 90s, even if it didn't involve the whole laptop being dragged to the floor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best thing for a power input is to have that board with the fuses and the DC jack as a separate easily serviceable part but this is 2021 and everybody seems to be building their laptops with glue now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 2018/2019 Airs need a special press that's also used for iPhones to help install the batteries in place, which are held in with glue strips.

Also pretty sure the newest M1 iMacs as well as all the post 2013 iMacs still use VHB strips (special glue) to hold the display assembly in place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If the VHB is the same "Very High Bonding" tape that I've seen elsewhere it's designed to hold things together forever even through rough use. You normally see it on heavy duty tools.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I thought the selling point of USB-C was to finally have a USB connector that was reversible so it didn't take three tries to insert

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If the VHB is the same "Very High Bonding" tape that I've seen elsewhere it's designed to hold things together forever even through rough use. You normally see it on heavy duty tools.

Yeah VHB strips hold glass and LCD in place, to open an IMac 2013 or later you need a plastic small pizza wheel cutter to slice through them, then replace with new ones after you're done with the inside

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm hanging onto my mid-2014 15" which I deliberately specced out to the max to make it last (it was my first Mac without user-replaceable SSD and RAM), and it's still going strong. Yes my wife's M1 Air is lovely and fast, but this one isn't exactly slow, and does everything I need it to.

The battery, of course, is unhappy, and even though part of my job is taking things I've never seen apart and repairing them, I looked at the iFixit instructions of "first, buy our special glue dissolver" and noped out. And the local reseller wants €350 to replace it, which I'd rather put towards a new one.

Looking forward to seeing what 14" and 16" options come out in the future. Magsafe is a lifesaver on the sofa when your cats are zooming, but my wife gets around that by using it like a phone (charging it overnight), which would also work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronash posted:

That’s not how patents work.

I could patent something, throw it in a drawer for 19 years, and still nail your rear end to the wall for infringing on it.

You're right, I was thinking of trademarks that need to be used from time to time.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bobstar posted:

I'm hanging onto my mid-2014 15" which I deliberately specced out to the max to make it last

The battery, of course, is unhappy, and even though part of my job is taking things I've never seen apart and repairing them, I looked at the iFixit instructions of "first, buy our special glue dissolver" and noped out. And the local reseller wants €350 to replace it, which I'd rather put towards a new one.

I thought 2014s didn't have glued batteries?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ziploc posted:

I thought 2014s didn't have glued batteries?

AFAIK every MBP from the 2012 retina onward does, as does the Gen 2 Chassis (2010-2018) Air.

and IIRC even the first crop of 2008-2012 unibody MBPs and Airs (and that one polycarb MacBook without a user-removable battery) have at least some adhesive holding the battery packs in place which can technically potentially tear them, and are technically not supposed to be messed with by people who aren’t certified.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bobstar posted:

I'm hanging onto my mid-2014 15" which I deliberately specced out to the max to make it last (it was my first Mac without user-replaceable SSD and RAM), and it's still going strong. Yes my wife's M1 Air is lovely and fast, but this one isn't exactly slow, and does everything I need it to.

I have the GeForce-less version of this machine and agree it's penultimately darn good (the 2015 rMBP being the closest to perfection) but I gotta disagree with 'without user-replaceable SSD' part; I swapped out the original Apple OEM 256 GB SSD with an Inland Premium 1 TB SSD (now 2 TB, runs a couple of VMs) with a special adapter from China. Apple has literally baked in better SSD support into the BootROMs so in a way they're unofficially supporting this configuration, even in Big Sur; ideally you should be running at least High Sierra or Mojave to run third party SSDs..

quote:

Apple themselves just replaces the entire top case assembly (contains speakers, mics, keyboard, trackpad) which is partly why they charge so much..

My 2014 rMBP (made on 12-15-14 according to Coconut Battery) battery is still at 89.2% capacity, I'm babying it as much as possible, not charging to 100% all the time, running the battery as much as I can..

Al Dente has helped maintain my battery life pretty well, it's an interesting program that directly tweaks the SMC into doing its bidding, and its main purpose is to extend your battery's life.. they have a 'Pro' version but it only works on Big Sur..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 25, 2021

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ok Comboomer posted:

AFAIK every MBP from the 2012 retina onward does, as does the Gen 2 Chassis (2010-2018) Air.

and IIRC even the first crop of 2008-2012 unibody MBPs and Airs (and that one polycarb MacBook without a user-removable battery) have at least some adhesive holding the battery packs in place which can technically potentially tear them, and are technically not supposed to be messed with by people who aren’t certified.

poo poo you're right. My bad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but up to like 2015-2016 just a drop of acetone around the battery glue will dissolve it and you can run a credit card under it and get it out no problem... well say 20-30 mins of work.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Apple still can't make power cables.

This replacement is less than a year old and its started disintegrating, despite never being moved from a desk.

Despite the fact you can see the actual wiring I've still got to go and visit the store to get it inspected/replaced... Urgh. Plus the absurd amount they charge for cables.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Binary Badger posted:

I have the GeForce-less version of this machine and agree it's penultimately darn good (the 2015 rMBP being the closest to perfection) but I gotta disagree with 'without user-replaceable SSD' part; I swapped out the original Apple OEM 256 GB SSD with an Inland Premium 1 TB SSD (now 2 TB, runs a couple of VMs) with a special adapter from China. Apple has literally baked in better SSD support into the BootROMs so in a way they're unofficially supporting this configuration, even in Big Sur; ideally you should be running at least High Sierra or Mojave to run third party SSDs..

Yeah I should have said "that doesn't take regular off the shelf SSDs". In any case I made the right decision to max out everything.

I'm at 65% health :stonk: but I've abused this thing by touring it around the world and using it on battery a lot. Maybe if something awesome in a 16" comes out, I'll wait a year and get it a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

data over magsafe you cowards

Isn't this what is happening on the new iMac? the MagSafe is the only connector to the iMac, and the power brick also has 1gb ethernet on it. So the wired networking is going over the MagSafe connection to the iMac. I don't see any reason they couldn't put a few USB ports on that power brick too.