Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I plug in my iPhone to my Mac, it makes the keyboard and trackpad unresponsive until I move or use a key for about 5 seconds. I honestly don't remember if it's always been like this but I just noticed and it's really annoying. Is this normal?

On a 2011 MacBook Air running 10.8.2.

Fake Edit: actually you know it might have started after I upgraded from 10.8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

Macintosh posted:

Whenever I plug in my iPhone to my Mac, it makes the keyboard and trackpad unresponsive until I move or use a key for about 5 seconds. I honestly don't remember if it's always been like this but I just noticed and it's really annoying. Is this normal?

On a 2011 MacBook Air running 10.8.2.

Fake Edit: actually you know it might have started after I upgraded from 10.8.1.

Getting this too, except with any USB device. On a base Retina Macbook Pro.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Are you guys aware of any adapter that would let me plug the SSD from a 2011 Air into my 2011 Mini sata slot? Even better, one that would work in the 2nd (uncabled) position...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pipebomb posted:

Are you guys aware of any adapter that would let me plug the SSD from a 2011 Air into my 2011 Mini sata slot? Even better, one that would work in the 2nd (uncabled) position...

http://dx.com/p/apple-macbook-air-ssd-convert-to-sata-22p-converter-adapter-w-pack-of-install-screw-black-139438

http://usb.brando.com/macbook-air-mba-ssd-to-sata-22-pin-2-5-hard-disk-pcba-put-in-the-notebook-laptop_p02915c042d015.html

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

I just gave you five Klouts and 3 thumbs-up and a star and a virtual bj. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have a 2009 iMac with a 500gb HD that I've never backed up...obviously I need an external hd. What's the consensus on the time capsule? My router is an old linksys running tomato and I'm sure is about 4 years old, so I'm due for an upgrade on that as well.

Thoughts?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

nwin posted:

What's the consensus on the time capsule?

Works pretty great for internet and TM backup for me, the new Airport Utility for configuration and setup is a little dumbed down compared to the old version, but it does all I need. Network storage works well, but it's going to be a bit slower than a proper Firewire/USB external drive.

If your linksys doesn't have 802.11N hardware, you'll be in for a speed upgrade if you have any other hardware which supports N as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It seems like I have to reset the SMC on my 2011 Air every week or two. The fans will run at 0 load and the charger light doesn't work...

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

quadratic posted:

My MBA is taking ~25 seconds to wake from deep sleep and get to a point where I can enter the password. Is that normal? This is a 2011 running Mountain Lion.

Mine does this too, it was near instant on Lion but since upgrading to ML it's been really slow. I might try disabling the login screen to see if that makes any difference!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My buddy has an original MBA, I believe they came in 2 configurations. His was the cheaper one. Not sure of the specs but he upgraded to Lion and he says his system crawls. Will upgrading the RAM/HD increase the speed? I am secretly hopingnot because then it's mine when he upgrades. Ill install something less taxing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

b0nes posted:

My buddy has an original MBA, I believe they came in 2 configurations. His was the cheaper one. Not sure of the specs but he upgraded to Lion and he says his system crawls. Will upgrading the RAM/HD increase the speed? I am secretly hopingnot because then it's mine when he upgrades. Ill install something less taxing.

Can't increase the RAM, it's soldered on and it was only 2 GB for the first generation MBA.

Upgrading the HD is so ridiculously expensive, north of $200 for a 128 GB PATA SSD, you're better off selling the thing for something more modern.

Snow Leopard might be a better OS, it'll take up less room than Leopard will.

Also be advised that everyone hates the flip-open USB/monitor/headset assembly.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 1, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Can't increase the RAM, it's soldered on and it was only 2 GB for the first generation MBA.

Upgrading the HD is so ridiculously expensive, north of $200 for a 128 GB PATA SSD, you're better off selling the thing for something more modern.

So my buddy shuld just upgrade to a new Macbook Air? He was looking at an Intel UltraBook but isn't sold yet. I see used Macbooks going for $500 on Ebay. I could sell it and get a new 12" for about $1000.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

b0nes posted:

It shouldn't be crawling I have a machine older than that and it runs Mountain Lion fine.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gism0 posted:

Mine does this too, it was near instant on Lion but since upgrading to ML it's been really slow. I might try disabling the login screen to see if that makes any difference!

I disabled deep sleep on my retina pro, and now it's ready by the time the lid is open. It eats a little battery, but I don't care.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Unless you call AppleCare; then they'll call the nearest AASP and berate them for "refusing" to upgrade the RAM on a machine with non-upgradeable RAM. Then they'll demand a manager and go on the same tirade to them.

That was a fun phone call to take.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Plus, ancient Intel video. Ugh.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I'm about to make "the switch" from PCs to a rMBP this week.

I'm planning on doing some (light) gaming on it at some point. Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, TF2. Eventually probably doing a boot camp install.

I like the look of the Magic Mouse. Is it suitable for games, or should I buy a traditional bluetooth with separate buttons for games?

If so, what are some recommendations for Mice to use with a Mac?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I disabled deep sleep on my retina pro, and now it's ready by the time the lid is open. It eats a little battery, but I don't care.

I just upped my deep sleep time to 3.25 hours sudo pmset -a standbydelay 11700. I haven't been annoyed by the wakeup, but I'd rather only done it at most twice a day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

I like the look of the Magic Mouse. Is it suitable for games, or should I buy a traditional bluetooth with separate buttons for games?

gently caress that mouse, seriously. Just buy whatever mouse you like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple store quoted $280 to fix a 13" MBA screen - it just 'went out', it's not physically broken but there's nothing on the screen.

PowerbookMedic and iResq both want $300 or more, and a legit apple screen appears to be $240. So it sounds like the best option is to just have them fix it, right?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

I'm about to make "the switch" from PCs to a rMBP this week.

I'm planning on doing some (light) gaming on it at some point. Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, TF2. Eventually probably doing a boot camp install.

You can't left and right click at the same time with the MM. If you play games that require that, you will need a new mouse.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Legdiian posted:

You can't left and right click at the same time with the MM. If you play games that require that, you will need a new mouse.

This reminds me. I think the magic trackpad is great, but sometimes I want a mouse (like for gaming). Can you have both a magic trackpad and a mouse at the same time? Or do you need to switch out?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

This reminds me. I think the magic trackpad is great, but sometimes I want a mouse (like for gaming). Can you have both a magic trackpad and a mouse at the same time? Or do you need to switch out?

I've had a USB mouse and keyboard plugged in at the same time as Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You can use all 4 at the same time (if you have 4 arms)

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
You can have both. The trackpad has its own preferences panel so tracking speed will be separate for each device.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

jeff8472 posted:

You can have both. The trackpad has its own preferences panel so tracking speed will be separate for each device.

Of course, somehow they managed to gently caress up the "natural vs classic" scrolling. Despite there being separate options under Mouse and Trackpad, setting one sets the other.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yo guys I'm broke so I am selling my iMac in SA Mart if anyone is interested. I think it's a good deal http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509696

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I saw this on Reddit so blah blah

It's supposed to mean new iMacs in two weeks.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The magic trackpad is the best trackpad ever.

nwin posted:

I have a 2009 iMac with a 500gb HD that I've never backed up...obviously I need an external hd. What's the consensus on the time capsule? My router is an old linksys running tomato and I'm sure is about 4 years old, so I'm due for an upgrade on that as well.

Thoughts?

I'm very happy with mine, wireless range is pretty good (except for a room in my house that is haunted or something and blocks all wifi). The first backup will take forever over wireless so if you can do it over a wired connection.

If you want to fiddle with settings then it's not for you though, I got it precisely because I was tired of fiddling with ddwrt on linksys or asus hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple should come out with a keyboard with a built-in trackpad - exactly the same layout as the laptops. That would rule.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I saw this on Reddit so blah blah

It's supposed to mean new iMacs in two weeks.

If this is true I hope that means the same for the mini. :allears:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ratbert90 posted:

If this is true I hope that means the same for the mini. :allears:

I hope it is true for the 13" MB Retina

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Still praying for a 13.6" 2400x1800 Retina MBP :v:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Drogadon posted:

I'm very happy with mine, wireless range is pretty good (except for a room in my house that is haunted or something and blocks all wifi). The first backup will take forever over wireless so if you can do it over a wired connection.

If you want to fiddle with settings then it's not for you though, I got it precisely because I was tired of fiddling with ddwrt on linksys or asus hardware.

I definitely don't want to fiddle with anything. I haven't upgraded the firmware for tomato in I don't know how long...

Any chance it ever drops less than $300 (hahaha yeah right I know...)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I wipe a new mac that doesn't come with an OSX install disc?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hold Command-R on boot and enter Internet Recovery. Start Disk Utility and wipe the disk.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So I just bought a 13-inch Air. It's my first Apple computer since the IIc my parents gave me free reign with when I was a kid. It's really nice. I don't think PC OEMs have something this good in them. The OS is new to me and I'm still learning stuff, but it seems to make really good use of the touchpad with gestures and all that. So....yea. You win, Apple. You got me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The touchpad hardware and gestures are so good I wish PC makers and Windows 8 would just steal it. Trying to use other laptops now is awful.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Mu Zeta posted:

The touchpad hardware and gestures are so good I wish PC makers and Windows 8 would just steal it. Trying to use other laptops now is awful.

I was in a Microsoft Store the other day (amusingly I was headed to an Apple Store to pick up an iPhone and the MS store was across the street) and some of the newer notebooks actually have halfway decent touchpads. The OS support is still kind of bad, but they were bigger than a postage stamp and actually weren't completely awful.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Using a magic trackpad (almost) makes the one on my 13" MBP feel like poo poo. The amount of space on those things is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I was in a Microsoft Store the other day (amusingly I was headed to an Apple Store to pick up an iPhone and the MS store was across the street) and some of the newer notebooks actually have halfway decent touchpads. The OS support is still kind of bad, but they were bigger than a postage stamp and actually weren't completely awful.

It all boils down to Apple having control of the software and the hardware unlike in the PC world were you see a much bigger variation in trackpad hardware quality/software.