Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bob Morales posted:

I think I got 7 or 750 for mine

Did you get the 128GB model? If so find a 15" user selling their stock 256GB SSD

For the Air? Yea, it's a 128 gb model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I upgraded from a 2011 11" Air to a 13" Pro Retina. It is....magic.

What's a likely re-sale value for my old Air?

You should do a review one month in. I'm curious to see what you think about the portability trade offs vs screen awesomeness.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ethereal posted:

You should do a review one month in. I'm curious to see what you think about the portability trade offs vs screen awesomeness.

There really isn't any. The Air is a little lighter and a little thinner but the Retina is actually smaller in width and length. I use the same case to carry both in. I love the much smaller bezel but I don't like the glossy Retina screen. It's not as bad as the regular Pro but it's more reflective than the Air. The Retina battery lasts about an hour longer for me as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

There really isn't any. The Air is a little lighter and a little thinner but the Retina is actually smaller in width and length. I use the same case to carry both in. I love the much smaller bezel but I don't like the glossy Retina screen. It's not as bad as the regular Pro but it's more reflective than the Air. The Retina battery lasts about an hour longer for me as well.
MBA 11", not 13". Course that makes the point about the battery an even bigger deal since iirc the 11 has the shortest life out of all of them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm a few days in with the Retina 13". The battery life is amazing. I charge it during the night then use it all day. Screen is brilliant, keyboard is great, the size increase over the 11" Air is not a trade off because this is my laptop for college and the bigger screen is something that I wanted. It runs much, much quieter and cooler as well. My only complaints are the odd lagginess with Chrome but using Safari mitigates that and I wish I had the flexibility to play some games on it but I'd rather save money on a refurb Retina than spend 1500+ on the Haswell refresh whenever that happens.

System-wide, I haven't really noticed any lag with the HD 4000 driving the display set to "more screen space." In fact, it works wonderfully. Zooming in with the browser solves any small text issue. Lightroom 4 is snappy as well. For 1250, this was a no brainer. For brand new retail? Ehhh.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think there's really any need to make a Retina Air any time soon. Eventually when they want to make all of their products that way, sure. Right now there's barely even enough to differentiate the 13" rMBP from the 13" Air. If the 13" Retina can get discrete graphics plus the real estate of 1440x900 like the Air has, we'd be in business. I can't be bothered with the space of 1280x800 after going to an Air.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really can't wait to swap my 2011 13" Air for a 13" Retina this summer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tenterhooks posted:

Anything else I should do or try?

You've probably got a difference in ground voltage between the iMac and the USB devices. Chassis aka earth ground is connected through the USB cable outer shell and shield conductor. If there's a voltage difference between the grounds on each end, you'll get visible arcing when the shell makes or breaks contact. (You don't see it with bus powered devices because their ground level floats.) Sparks of the size in your youtube vid are more alarming than potentially harmful.

Try plugging everything into a single grounded power strip. The problem should go away.

(And yes, wall wiring is the likely culprit. That, or whatever power strips and extension cords you're using now.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

I don't think there's really any need to make a Retina Air any time soon. Eventually when they want to make all of their products that way, sure. Right now there's barely even enough to differentiate the 13" rMBP from the 13" Air. If the 13" Retina can get discrete graphics plus the real estate of 1440x900 like the Air has, we'd be in business. I can't be bothered with the space of 1280x800 after going to an Air.
Well Intel is going with multiple GPU performance tiers for Haswell iirc so even with integrated there could still be a difference there depending on what Apple goes with for each machine.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I really can't wait to swap my 2011 13" Air for a 13" Retina this summer.

It's really a great machine: good performance, excellent screen, palatable size - I just hope they give a 16GB option for the Haswell bump. 32GB Ceiling for the 15" and 16GB for the 13".

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I decided to get the Apple wired numeric keyboard when I ordered my computer, but it's a BTO so I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to arrive. However, when I look for images of the keyboard on the Apple website, they all show a keyboard without the fn key and the old Snow Leopard layout. Can anybody that has a wired keyboard purchased after Lion confirm whether or not they updated the keyboard or not?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

step aside posted:

I decided to get the Apple wired numeric keyboard when I ordered my computer, but it's a BTO so I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to arrive. However, when I look for images of the keyboard on the Apple website, they all show a keyboard without the fn key and the old Snow Leopard layout. Can anybody that has a wired keyboard purchased after Lion confirm whether or not they updated the keyboard or not?

It doesn't have the same layout as the regular keyboard or the laptops.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

step aside posted:

We order iMacs at work with the wired keyboards because our users prefer them. This picture is from a pre-Lion keyboard but the only difference between it and the current ones is that F3 and F4 are Mission Control and Launchpad instead of Exposé and Dashboard like they are on mine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

step aside posted:

Fn key is up around that 6 key block to the right of the Backspace.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Ah, okay. Thanks for the answers everybody.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Alternatively, if you're not a huge fan of the low profile chiclet keys and want an awesome clicky mechanical keyboard with the same layout, Unicomp make one based on the old IBM Model M design with Mac specific keys called the Spacesaver M.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I use a Topre Realforce with my Mac. It's a pain in the rear end sometimes (since it's not made for use with Mac OS) but my favorite keyboard.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tarepanda posted:

I use a Topre Realforce with my Mac. It's a pain in the rear end sometimes (since it's not made for use with Mac OS) but my favorite keyboard.
Yeah, the main advantage of the Unicomp keyboard is that it's designed for the Mac and all the buttons do what they have on them. It's also 'only' $95 which expensive for a keyboard but cheaper than a lot of the other mechanical keyboards.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, the main advantage of the Unicomp keyboard is that it's designed for the Mac and all the buttons do what they have on them. It's also 'only' $95 which expensive for a keyboard but cheaper than a lot of the other mechanical keyboards.

It's doubly a pain in the rear end because I'm using a Topre Realforce with the extra necessary Japanese keys... which aren't always in the same place and don't have the same functions as the corresponding keys on a Mac keyboard. Sigh.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

tarepanda posted:

It's doubly a pain in the rear end because I'm using a Topre Realforce with the extra necessary Japanese keys... which aren't always in the same place and don't have the same functions as the corresponding keys on a Mac keyboard. Sigh.

That sucks. I use an 87U on my mac with KeyRemap4MacBook, but the 87U is a US layout. Great keyboards, but I am waiting on my Matias TP mini (ordered so long ago, I actually forgot when).

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp
This is more of a thought experiment than a serious question. But if I ever make it it super rich and decide to indulge a ludicrous fantasy without regard to cost, would it be theoretically possible to put the guts of a current Macbook Pro/Air inside the case of an old 2006 black Macbook? I miss that computer more than my dead parents.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

crunk and white posted:

This is more of a thought experiment than a serious question. But if I ever make it it super rich and decide to indulge a ludicrous fantasy without regard to cost, would it be theoretically possible to put the guts of a current Macbook Pro/Air inside the case of an old 2006 black Macbook? I miss that computer more than my dead parents.

That guy that made a one-off portable N64 could probably do it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

crunk and white posted:

I feel exactly the same way about my old Powerbook G3, those things just looked stately.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

crunk and white posted:

With a lot of soldering you could get close. The magsafe piece would be one of the hardest parts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

benisntfunny posted:

With a lot of soldering you could get close. The magsafe piece would be one of the hardest parts.

If they used a 2011 model, couldn't they just use the one from the blackbook? As an Air user who's held onto his blackbook, I fully endorse this, btw.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

iostream.h posted:

I feel exactly the same way about my old Powerbook G3, those things just looked stately.

More than that - they were comfy to use. None of the hard edges that we see today. I really miss that Apple design era. Also, I have the weirdest boner for the 8600 case design. poo poo was proper.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, there's a new fan control program out there and for me it works much better than smcFanControl..

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Best part is that they also have a Boot Camp version that'll work on the Windows side, too!

It'll also help you with iMac fan issues if you switch in a non-Apple drive as well.

Free, and it's been updated regularly since March of this year.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Thank you!! I love everything about my rMBP except for the heat, this will hopefully help mitigate that. What machine are you going to be using this on?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've been using this one for a while now on my iMac (installed an SSD so the fans go nuts if you don't)

http://udm4.com/Mac/SSD_Fan_Control-365194

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

yellowjournalism posted:

Thank you!! I love everything about my rMBP except for the heat, this will hopefully help mitigate that. What machine are you going to be using this on?

Already using it on a MacBook mid 2009, works great with any OS better than 10.6. smcFanControl hasn't been updated since last August, BTW.

Edit: Macs Fan Control also lets you fine tune which sensor to use for temperature control.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 13, 2013

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Do y'all think 4GB is going to be much of a limitation in the next few years? My sister wants a new MacBook and she'd like it to last at least 3-4 years. But she keeps a bazillion apps and chrome tabs open at all times and I'm concerned that 4GB would barely cut it today and when the next 2-3 iterations of OSX come out it will probably be a big issue. Given that you can't replace the ram on these things, I wonder if this will be a problem.

She's looking at the 13 inch air and the 13 inch retina MacBooks through the refurb store (which can't be customized as far as I know).

Thoughts?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
4GB already feels pretty slow. Definitely go with 8GB.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Absolutely worth the money. Imagine how it'll feel a year from now when it really can't keep up and you can't upgrade it cause it's soldered to the freakin board, and how little that hundred or so bucks you saved meant in the long run. I run tons of fuckin tabs with VLC and Xcode open and am pleased as punch with 8GB on my rMBP, but I already itch for more... I might even swap for a new rMBP if they end up offering 16GB..

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 13, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It won't be as bad because of the SSD, but 8GB comes in handy for leaving browsers open for days and weeks at a time.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
That said, anything above 8gb is overkill for a 13" form factor. 16gb is appropriate for heavy development/design work (like running your own oracle/mssql servers), which is just not gonna happen on a 13" screen (I don't care how high the resolution is :colbert:). The only reason it might be warranted is for having multiple concurrent VMs, but again, 13"!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillerMojo posted:

That said, anything above 8gb is overkill for a 13" form factor. 16gb is appropriate for heavy development/design work (like running your own oracle/mssql servers), which is just not gonna happen on a 13" screen (I don't care how high the resolution is :colbert:). The only reason it might be warranted is for having multiple concurrent VMs, but again, 13"!

Unless you have an external monitor...

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Bob Morales posted:

Unless you have an external monitor...

Yeah, even so I just don't see a case where 16gb would make a 13" platform viable where 8gb would be insufficient. 8gb is a lot of ram!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillerMojo posted:

Yeah, even so I just don't see a case where 16gb would make a 13" platform viable where 8gb would be insufficient. 8gb is a lot of ram!

Yea, in theory if you've got some dev environment going with 16GB of RAM, you're going to have VM's and tests and such running where you're going to need 4 cores as well.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

KillerMojo posted:

No one will ever need more than 640K of memory, or more 1.44MB of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

pupdive posted:

No one will ever need more than 640K of memory, or more 1.44MB of storage.

Is that the last time you bought into a macbook refresh? :v: