Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

For only another 12 years or so though, right?

No idea. It wasn't a really big selling point for me, I kinda lumped in with "look at the sexy industrial design of this machine". That leads me to wonder how much money Apple could make licensing it out, though obviously their market researchers have determined that it's equally as good to just keep it within the family.

MagSafe connectors on iOS devices would be loving amazing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
10.7.1 made my iMac forget that it had Bluetooth so I had to connect a USB mouse to turn it off and on. Other than that it seems to have fixed some of the video after sleep issues I had experienced previously. A++++ would download again.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

No idea. It wasn't a really big selling point for me, I kinda lumped in with "look at the sexy industrial design of this machine". That leads me to wonder how much money Apple could make licensing it out, though obviously their market researchers have determined that it's equally as good to just keep it within the family.

Yeah, I just want to see MagSafe on every product that could implement it mostly because it drastically reduces the risk of injury/damage/etc. occurring due to tripping over power cables. It's basically an amazing evolutionary step up from break-away AC adapters that many laptops have/had.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I'm somewhat worried that my 11" Air would get yanked right off the table before the MagSafe would disconnect. This thing is pretty light and the little rubber feet slide pretty easily on my desk.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

~Coxy posted:

Bingo.

There is a pic out there somewhere of a white iBook or MacBook with a melted keyboard which is where the rumour came from. Personally I would think that the pic was taken of a laptop that was in a fire or something considering a CPU cannot physically get hot enough to melt plastic like that.

movax posted:

The machines do ventilate through their keyboards, but I'd expect the fans to kick up high and throttling to kick in long before anything bad(TM) happens to your machine.

Thanks to both, I'll keep running in clamshell. Got 3 years to ruin the computer and get a free repair/replacement anyway.

rockyoursox
Apr 13, 2007
I've been rocking a Core2Duo white Macbook for the past 4+ years, and today was finally the day to upgrade. Just ordered a brand new iMac - 27", 3.1 i5, 2 TB HD + 256 SSD, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB graphics card. I also have a RAM upgrade coming in the mail (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZJQQI/ref=ox_ya_os_product) to go up to 12GB of RAM. I've never had a screaming fast computer before, and I'm insanely excited to have something that isn't choking while running Lion.

My current laptop has Lion installed on it (destined for the parents when I'm done with it) - would a simple Time Machine restore be the best way to set up the new computer? Migration Assistant? Or just go with a clean install and move things over as needed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jfreder posted:

I'm somewhat worried that my 11" Air would get yanked right off the table before the MagSafe would disconnect. This thing is pretty light and the little rubber feet slide pretty easily on my desk.
OWC makes a color-matched weight you can stick on the bottom.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Wheee. My OWC 360g ssd shipped. Any 64gb Air users want to upgrade to 128g cheap?
:-)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

:psyduck:

"Is your MacBook Air too light? Add this weight!"

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

13" MBAs seem to be sold out everywhere that isn't the Apple Store (except Mac Mall which charges sales tax in my state). Any word on when they'll be back in stock?

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

Crackpipe posted:

13" MBAs seem to be sold out everywhere that isn't the Apple Store (except Mac Mall which charges sales tax in my state). Any word on when they'll be back in stock?

Check best buy. It's on sale there anyways. Mine just got a huge shipment of 'em for back to school.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pipebomb posted:

Wheee. My OWC 360g ssd shipped. Any 64gb Air users want to upgrade to 128g cheap?

How cheap.. I don't have 64 GB but I know someone who does..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

It probably isn't reported because it isn't one of the sensors the iMac uses to judge fan speed. Also SSDs don't report temperature via SMART so HEH.
Huh, never noticed. Can you check the info window in Disk Utility on it? Mine (Samsung 470) apparently has an "Air Flow Temperature" number, just curious whether that's a common thing with SSDs or not if they don't do the number iStat is reading.

Phiberoptik posted:

Does anyone know if i could daisychain into a thunderbolt display with a 24" Dell LCD panel I have, using a Mini DP to DVI adapter?
Assuming you mean computer with TB to TB display to Dell LCD, I think that should work assuming your computer supports dual displays over Thunderbolt. At least that's how it's supposed to work afaik.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just put my OWC SSD into my mini, and it was super easy. Remove fan, RAM, fan cowling, antenna shield, and hard drive, pop the logic board out just a cm or so, and the new drive slides right in. I didnt bother with grommets or anything after seeing how tightly the thing fits when put together, the top drive doesn't move at all.

If only I had created a full install stick beforehand...internet recovery is sloooooow.
:hfive:. Cause I'm paranoid I've been scheming ways to secure the drive in place and bought some bumpers and crap from Lowes the other day. Some small squishy "soft dots" that came in one of the packs fit the bill and I got the drive jammed snugly in there (...hopefully nothing melts). I think the crap I had the most trouble with was getting drat cowling out and back in, and the bundle of wires (power connector I think) next to the drives.

I was annoyed that internet recovery didn't go straight to 10.7.1 though :colbert:.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just use TRIM Enabler. I haven't heard of any disasters from people that have used it. As long as reliable backups are in place, I'd have no hesitation to try it.
OWC suggested not using it for theirs at least, supposedly they've seen some issues with it in their testing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pipebomb posted:

How cheap?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
iStat certainly sees some kind of temp sensor with my SSD - and says both of my drives sit between 38 and 48 degrees C, which should be perfectly fine.

I do think putting some bumpers between the drives is a good idea, though, and I had something that would have worked had I thought of it. Oh well, I'll fix it when I swap out the 500gb with a TB drive.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Is this a joke? If it is, I fell for it, as I looked all over macsales.com for this product and couldn't find it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

Is this a joke? If it is, I fell for it, as I looked all over macsales.com for this product and couldn't find it.

Yes, it was a joke.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel
Does anyone have experience with hardware replacement service repairs from the Apple Store? I dropped off my Macbook last Monday to get a new logic board, hard drive, and fan because it was overheating really badly and they won't give me an estimate on when it will be finished. I was initially told it would take less than a week, but that's already passed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Does anyone have experience with hardware replacement service repairs from the Apple Store? I dropped off my Macbook last Monday to get a new logic board, hard drive, and fan because it was overheating really badly and they won't give me an estimate on when it will be finished. I was initially told it would take less than a week, but that's already passed.

Depends on the particular location. Here in NYC every Apple Store has a full complement of technicians, all of whom have been through the ringer by being exposed to every type of customer imaginable. (Especially at the Fifth Avenue location which is open 24/7) Other locations might not have as many techs because Apple doesn't want a full staff of techs in a strip mall in Pigs Knuckles, Idaho where there's no demand.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yesterday i put a Crucial M4 SSD in my Mac Pro 1,1 and, holy poo poo, what an awesome upgrade. it's like a new computer.

I was very concerned about the number of posts I read online from people saying the various SSDs caused horrible problems in Mac Pros, but this one has been awesome so far. I really can't recommend it enough.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

moron posted:

Yesterday i put a Crucial M4 SSD in my Mac Pro 1,1 and, holy poo poo, what an awesome upgrade. it's like a new computer.

I was very concerned about the number of posts I read online from people saying the various SSDs caused horrible problems in Mac Pros, but this one has been awesome so far. I really can't recommend it enough.

I just got mine and put it in my MBP which used to have a C300 that is in my iMac now. I never restored from a full time machine backup but wow was it painless to swap them around.

Won't get to be able to test the M4 for a bit though unfortunately :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So I'd like to pick up a notebook-style mouse, ideally one with actual buttons (versus the touch-based nature of the Magic Mouse, the new Arc mouses, etc.). Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to find one with a back button that would work without having to install any additional software, but it seems as if that's fairly hard to find amongst mice that work in OS X.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

SourKraut posted:

So I'd like to pick up a notebook-style mouse, ideally one with actual buttons (versus the touch-based nature of the Magic Mouse, the new Arc mouses, etc.). Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to find one with a back button that would work without having to install any additional software, but it seems as if that's fairly hard to find amongst mice that work in OS X.

I don't know the model off hand and I think it only has two buttons, but Logitech makes a small mouse for about $30. My parents have two and I think they are very comfortable. They have a USB receiver though, which has stopped me from getting one in the past, but at least it's the micro adapter.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
Tomorrow is the final day for me to purchase extended applecare on my 2010 i5 15" mbp. Should i?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

snoozeallday posted:

Tomorrow is the final day for me to purchase extended applecare on my 2010 i5 15" mbp. Should i?

Yes

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

BrokenDynasty posted:

Yes

gah, $350, for some reason i thought it was 2xxsomething.

Do they have student discounts for this stuff? lol.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

snoozeallday posted:

They do have student discounts. Just look it up in the Educational Store.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

snoozeallday posted:

Looks like $110 off with Education discount.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

They do have student discounts. Just look it up in the Educational Store.
Not sure how it is at other universities, but at the school I went to for my first degree, the AppleCare cost for systems was significantly cheaper at the university computer store than even Apple's own education discount. Something like $100 off Apple's own education pricing. So I'd say, for anyone who is a student and whose school might have a computer store, check it out first before just ordering through Apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that should go in the OP. Educational discounts on AppleCare are pretty good, and cool.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I bought a Belkin F5L049ea Home Base a bit ago, a wireless USB hub basically, but I just found out that it not only doesn't support loading NTFS drives in MacOSX, it also seems to work on Rosetta so it'll be useless when I upgrade to Lion. Is there a similar device around that works reliably with MacOSX and can handle NTFS drives without a problem?

Edit: additional question: is it really worth dropping ~600 euro on a 256gb SSD in addition to the 1tb HD when buying a new iMac?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2011

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

For those who missed the 20% off Kindle promotion, you can get 20% (up to $200) off any computer if you buy with the Amazon Rewards Card (not the amazon store card) and use the promo code BTS20OFF at checkout. Plus, you get a $40 gift card upon approval, so you can get $240 off your computer total.

No idea what the APR is, so don't sign up if you're not good with credit. But if you were planning on paying cash, it's a nice savings.

edit: FINE PRINT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT ONLY BEING VALID UP TO $1000. CHECK WITH AMAZON FIRST

Argyle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 18, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jolan posted:

I bought a Belkin F5L049ea Home Base a bit ago, a wireless USB hub basically, but I just found out that it not only doesn't support loading NTFS drives in MacOSX, it also seems to work on Rosetta so it'll be useless when I upgrade to Lion. Is there a similar device around that works reliably with MacOSX and can handle NTFS drives without a problem?

Edit: additional question: is it really worth dropping ~600 euro on a 256gb SSD in addition to the 1tb HD when buying a new iMac?
Is it for USB in general or just HDs? For the latter there's boxes that turn drives into a NAS basically, although I don't know enough about them to suggest any in particular, and NTFS might be a problem for all I know. If they do work you'll pretty much connect to it in the Finder like any other networked drive. If you have a Windows machine lying around I guess that's another option, hook it up and start sharing the drive from it.

As for the iMac SSD option it depends whether you want to bother trying to hack it up yourself. I don't know how euro prices for SSDs are, but in the US it's around $400 for a 256GB, vs $600 for the option. So about a $200 premium for not having to gently caress around with it, and getting a fully supported configuration in case something blows up. I guess you could wait for Thunderbolt drives/enclosures but that'll carry it's own premium too. The best option is probably just holding out for a refurb one with SSD, fully supported and a nice discounted price.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

movax posted:

Ahem

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of cool new hardware, Apple really needs to release a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with black keys that illuminate at night.

It seems like a no brainer.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Crackpipe posted:

Amazon has some in stock now - or at least they did an hour or so ago.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Corbet posted:

Speaking of cool new hardware, Apple really needs to release a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with black keys that illuminate at night.

It seems like a no brainer.

I thought this, but then it occurred to me that users might be swapping batteries in and out quite a bit for a product like that.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Binary Badger posted:

How cheap.. I don't have 64 GB but I know someone who does..

Bob Morales posted:

How cheap?

How about $200, or $150 with a 64gb tradein (in case mine ever goes tits up)?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Crush posted:

I thought this, but then it occurred to me that users might be swapping batteries in and out quite a bit for a product like that.

Or pre-order/ultimately at some point purchase Logitech's recently-announced K750 for Mac, which is awesome (wireless, but with no need for batteries since it charges via natural or artificial light).

I have a friend with the PC version and he loves it, and I'm thinking of picking one up for my MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Crush posted:

No reason they can't put a battery in it and give it a dock / magsafe type cord.

Then again, perhaps steve himself will hire me a supermodel to blow me whenever I want.