Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are you talking about the cable with the swing arm? I *think* you can swap that out but I accidentally deleted the official manual my friend let me get. If it's working I say just never open it again personally HEH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Are you talking about the cable with the swing arm? I *think* you can swap that out but I accidentally deleted the official manual my friend let me get. If it's working I say just never open it again personally HEH

Yeah that's the one. I just want to make sure if the SSD dies or something, or if it gets bumped or something i have other options than spending $800 on a new lcd panel...

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
So, with shoes on, my MacBook Pro just shocked me when I went to turn the volume up using the F12 key. Is this something I should be worried about?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Speaking of F12 volume why did Apple shuffle around the location of function keys? My PowerBook G4 (Rev. A aluminum, 2003) and MacBook Pro (2.2ghz C2D, 2007) both had the same function keys. My new MBA has fuckin' keys all over the place. Bleh.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Looking into a 15" MBP with the 1680 Screen (Haven't decided whether to get glossy or anti-glare), 750GB HD, and the 6750.

Would you suggest just getting the default 4GB and upgrade to 8GB through Newegg (+180 on Apple's Site)? My biggest concern is, of course, AppleCare. How would that be handled?

Also (COMPLETELY out in left field), is there anyone that has a slot-load BluRay drive? Fastmac seems to only support the original MBP 17" Non-Unibody, but that's 600 bucks anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Looking into a 15" MBP with the 1680 Screen (Haven't decided whether to get glossy or anti-glare), 750GB HD, and the 6750.

Would you suggest just getting the default 4GB and upgrade to 8GB through Newegg (+180 on Apple's Site)? My biggest concern is, of course, AppleCare. How would that be handled?

Also (COMPLETELY out in left field), is there anyone that has a slot-load BluRay drive? Fastmac seems to only support the original MBP 17" Non-Unibody, but that's 600 bucks anyway.

Yes, upgrade to 8GB through Newegg, it won't affect AppleCare / Warranty at all. I've taken in my MBP twice with 8GB RAM installed aftermarket, no issues.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should also consider upgrading the hard drive with an SSD. It only adds 5 minutes of work while you're adding the RAM. If you have an extra $220 or so you can get a 128gig SSD and you'll never look back at hard drives again. Put the 750gig onto an external case.

Looks like Apple charges $200 on the lower 15" and $100 on the higher 15" for the 128gig ssd upgrade if you want it done from the factory.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2011

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You should also consider upgrading the hard drive with an SSD. It only adds 5 minutes of work while you're adding the RAM. If you have an extra $220 or so you can get a 128gig SSD and you'll never look back at hard drives again. Put the 750gig onto an external case.

The problem I have with that, is not being able to take my Music Library with me. My MBP would become my Primary machine with the desktop being the spare, so I would need at least enough space for Lion, Windows, and my Library.

Although, I suppose I could look at getting an OptiBay?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

The problem I have with that, is not being able to take my Music Library with me. My MBP would become my Primary machine with the desktop being the spare, so I would need at least enough space for Lion, Windows, and my Library.

OptiBay is the ideal solution, I am loving mine. (I have it out right now while I await the arrival of a new HDD from Newegg, but god, SSD makes this MBP feel like a whole new machine again).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Or pre-order/ultimately at some point purchase Logitech's recently-announced K750 for Mac, which is awesome (wireless, but with no need for batteries since it charges via natural or artificial light).

I have a friend with the PC version and he loves it, and I'm thinking of picking one up for my MBP.
I'm disappointed that (at least judging by those images) it's going to ship with the old Dashboard icon on F4 instead of the new Launchpad icon that Apple introduced with Lion/the new Airs.

:spergin:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Logitech are on a roll:

quote:

A large, built-in touchpad with multi-touch navigation lets you point and scroll your way around the Web.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Crush posted:

So, with shoes on, my MacBook Pro just shocked me when I went to turn the volume up using the F12 key. Is this something I should be worried about?

Nah, that's normal. You just need to disable "Shock User" in keyboard settings in System Preferences.

... Yes, if your Mac is shocking you (and you're sure it wasn't static electricity or something like that), then you should probably worry. You should also worry about why your Mac is wearing shoes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just got a SSD! Patriot Wildfire 240GB, now it's waiting for my new Mac mobo to arrive so I can actually use it over SATA3.

In the meantime I realigned the partitions with gptfdisk.
I used:

code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          411648       468598784   223.2 GiB   AF00  Apple HFS/HFS+
Where's that hawt SSD icon? (should put it in the OP :) )

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 21, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NerdsMcGee posted:

How much music is it? You can get a 32GB SD card for $39.99 on sale.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

How much music is it? You can get a 32GB SD card for $39.99 on sale.

~80 Gigs. I dunno, I would just feel claustrophobic only 80 or 120GB with an SSD. :(

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

~80 Gigs. I dunno, I would just feel claustrophobic only 80 or 120GB with an SSD. :(

You might discover that you dont need 80GB of music on you at all times.

Edit: Not to say that is necessarily the case for you. I just think a lot of people end up coming to this realization.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 21, 2011

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

jfreder posted:

You might discover that you dont need 80GB of music on you at all times.

I guess I need to re-think my position on having my iTunes Library on my at all times then. I mainly wanted it because of visiting friends and (heaven forbid) something dumb happened with my iPhone, I wouldn't be 3 hours away with no GPS / Music on the way home.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

NerdsMcGee posted:

I guess I need to re-think my position on having my iTunes Library on my at all times then. I mainly wanted it because of visiting friends and (heaven forbid) something dumb happened with my iPhone, I wouldn't be 3 hours away with no GPS / Music on the way home.

I bought a used 160gb iPod and keep it in my bag...just for giggles and paranoid moments.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

pipebomb posted:

I bought a used 160gb iPod and keep it in my bag...just for giggles and paranoid moments.

That might not be a bad idea either. :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm currently waiting on a new HDD to come in for my Optibay, so I'm using the MBP solely with a SSD now, and it isn't claustrophobic at all. Still 40GB free, and that's with my complete iTunes library for my 8GB iPod as well.

I'd get the Optibay and use that if you absolutely must have music with you. With the partitions unmounted and the drive in standby, it should draw very little power.

Regarding free-fall sensors in drives, those operate at the drive level and require no OS interaction, right?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

movax posted:

I'm currently waiting on a new HDD to come in for my Optibay, so I'm using the MBP solely with a SSD now, and it isn't claustrophobic at all. Still 40GB free, and that's with my complete iTunes library for my 8GB iPod as well.

I'd get the Optibay and use that if you absolutely must have music with you. With the partitions unmounted and the drive in standby, it should draw very little power.

Regarding free-fall sensors in drives, those operate at the drive level and require no OS interaction, right?

I thought it was dependent on the drive location.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm disappointed that (at least judging by those images) it's going to ship with the old Dashboard icon on F4 instead of the new Launchpad icon that Apple introduced with Lion/the new Airs.

:spergin:

Hadn't even realized that. Doh.

movax posted:

I'd go with a 128 GB or so in mine, but I'm just concerned because at the very least along with Lion, I'll probably have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp and I'm thinking XP as a VM in Fusion, so between all three I'm not sure the 128 GB will then leave enough for apps/etc.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

KingEup posted:

Logitech are on a roll:

Look guys, random superfluous lines. How arty!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Hadn't even realized that. Doh.

I'd go with a 128 GB or so in mine, but I'm just concerned because at the very least along with Lion, I'll probably have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp and I'm thinking XP as a VM in Fusion, so between all three I'm not sure the 128 GB will then leave enough for apps/etc.

It'll be rough having Windows bootcamp'd on the SSD, I'm moving mine to the HDD in the Optibay. You can still boot off that partition even if its in a drive in the Optibay. More cost effective than buying a 240GB drive.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

movax posted:

It'll be rough having Windows bootcamp'd on the SSD, I'm moving mine to the HDD in the Optibay. You can still boot off that partition even if its in a drive in the Optibay. More cost effective than buying a 240GB drive.

How will SATA3 speeds be affected if I put an SSD in the OptiBay and leave the HD in the HD Bay to use the sudden motion sensor? (On a new 15" of course.)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

NerdsMcGee posted:

How will SATA3 speeds be affected if I put an SSD in the OptiBay and leave the HD in the HD Bay to use the sudden motion sensor? (On a new 15" of course.)

From everything I've read, you'll have a lot of trouble waking it from sleep to the OS if it's in the OptiBay.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

Yeah, ideally when the time comes I'd switch to a SSD+HDD via optibay, but for awhile at least I'd planned on initially leaving the optical drive in.

I really wish 240-256 GB SSDs were more affordable. :(

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

From everything I've read, you'll have a lot of trouble waking it from sleep to the OS if it's in the OptiBay.

Well, drat it. Does anyone know if the SMS works in the Optibay?

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
I am totally new to the world of Macs. I just moved to NYC to start work on my PhD and I can't decide between an MBA or MBP. The portability of the former is enticing since I'll be hauling it around on the street/subway/bike, but the cut in performance worries me. I'm not worried about games since I have a PC desktop at home but I need to be able to do work on it, run statistical software, etc. I still want to listen to music and watch videos on it. Anybody have any incite? Are the MBPs on their way out?

Rolodex Propaganda fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 21, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Well, drat it. Does anyone know if the SMS works in the Optibay?

It doesn't, but your drive may have an equivalent feature built-in.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Rabid Snake posted:

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

I was eyeing AppleCare mainly because of the fear of the diminished capacity of the battery until I read that. Did they give you much of a hassle when going to the Apple Store or did they take in your battery no questions asked? Anyone have any experience getting a built-in battery replaced in there Macbooks?

No hassle at all, the entire visit took about 15 minutes.

headfake posted:

AppleCare costs about twice as much as a battery replacement, so you'd really have to have more than just that problem for it to pay for itself.

This is true, applecare was more expensive than I remembered it being. Still, that's how insurance works I guess.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Yeah, don't do this. If you intend on getting a SSD, put in the primary HDD slot. Put the HDD if any in the OptiBay.

Personally I only ever Boot Camp / VM Windows when I'm tied to AC power and therefore usually very stable / no need to worry about movement. Again IIRC, a lot of laptop hard drives have accelerometers in them and will preserve themselves. SWSP could probably confirm seeing as he works in a test lab for them.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
What is the biggest harddrive I can shove in my new MBP? I only have a 320 in it right now and filled it up way faster than expected.

I would like to do 720 or 1TB but not sure if it will physically fit and can't find much about swapping out in new models.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

What is the biggest harddrive I can shove in my new MBP? I only have a 320 in it right now and filled it up way faster than expected.

I would like to do 720 or 1TB but not sure if it will physically fit and can't find much about swapping out in new models.

There are 1TB 2.5" drives available. A 12.5mm-thick drive will fit, but 9.5mm is standard. The installation instructions are in the user manual.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Lazyhound posted:

There are 1TB 2.5" drives available. A 12.5mm-thick drive will fit, but 9.5mm is standard. The installation instructions are in the user manual.

Appreciate it. The 12.5mm-9.5mm part was the thing I couldn't find looking around.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

poo poo man, lots of portable storage, is your MBP your primary machine? 1TB 12.5mm will fit with no worries.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You don't need to resort to 12.5mm for 1TB 2.5" anymore, though it's only 5400RPM.

I think Samsung makes one too.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

KingEup posted:

Logitech are on a roll:

That looks cool, but it looks like it's designed to be a Windows keyboard. Would the trackpad work as expected on a Mac? And that reminds me... is there a decent wireless keyboard that actually has a number pad? What the gently caress is up with the Apple wireless keyboard not having a number pad? For $70, that's pretty awful.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

brc64 posted:

That looks cool, but it looks like it's designed to be a Windows keyboard. Would the trackpad work as expected on a Mac? And that reminds me... is there a decent wireless keyboard that actually has a number pad? What the gently caress is up with the Apple wireless keyboard not having a number pad? For $70, that's pretty awful.

Logitech solar keyboard as mentioned earlier on this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lazyhound posted:

Stick with the 9.5's, it's what Apple specs; the larger ones might gently caress things up. They don't allow for much clearance, especially in the unibody models.