Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

keevo posted:

gently caress. How hard is it to swap the heatsink?

edit: i forgot i can actually look these things up. doesn't look too difficult. i'm just not sure if i should spend the time to repair this thing or if i should just start saving up for a new/used macbook pro or pc
If you bring it in you might get the flat rate option...which is about the same price as AppleCare ($200-300?). If you were thinking about spending that much anyway that's another option, at least if you have a store nearby. Do third party authorized repair places do flat rate repairs? (At that cost I'd debate just saving up for a refurb though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Huh? Where is there a WD 3TB FW800 drive for $400? Because their USB 2.0 model is $199.99. Disregard, I guess, if you're suffering from some weirdo exchange rate. In the US, at least, their 3TB FW800 drive is $249.99.

(Canada) The 3TB elements (USB 2.0) drive usually retails for $130 and I've seen it for $110 on sale, I think. The FW800 drive is retailing for $230, Newegg has it for $200 right now + $11 shipping.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Am I an idiot for trying to get my flickering 9400M GPU in the late 2008 unibody MBP fixed? I have googled it and nowhere does it say that apple have ever dealt successfully with the problem. So far the genius guy wants to replace the screen even though I repeatedly told him that probably wouldn't fix it because the screen has already been replaced once...

My applecare cover has just one month left on it, and I really don't want anything taking value off the machine when it ends up on ebay :(

e: Hell, according to this guy it seems that it's one of those problems that apple will just try to cover up by not even acknowledging: http://www.goodbytes.be/index.php/blog/article/apple_fails_heres_why_late_2008_macbook_pro_screen_flicker_problem/

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 20, 2011

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

japtor posted:

If you bring it in you might get the flat rate option...which is about the same price as AppleCare ($200-300?). If you were thinking about spending that much anyway that's another option, at least if you have a store nearby. Do third party authorized repair places do flat rate repairs? (At that cost I'd debate just saving up for a refurb though)
AASPs can do flat-rate mailins, yes. However, it would likely be much cheaper just to have the fan and heatsink replaced (or even just cleaned, the fan blades and heatsink fins are probably just full of crud).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Am I an idiot for trying to get my flickering 9400M GPU in the late 2008 unibody MBP fixed? I have googled it and nowhere does it say that apple have ever dealt successfully with the problem. So far the genius guy wants to replace the screen even though I repeatedly told him that probably wouldn't fix it because the screen has already been replaced once...

My applecare cover has just one month left on it, and I really don't want anything taking value off the machine when it ends up on ebay :(

e: Hell, according to this guy it seems that it's one of those problems that apple will just try to cover up by not even acknowledging: http://www.goodbytes.be/index.php/blog/article/apple_fails_heres_why_late_2008_macbook_pro_screen_flicker_problem/

I don't understand, if you still have AppleCare, it should cost you $0.00 to get anything done to the machine, and fixing things will only increase the resale value of it? Can't hurt to ask, I guess. Or maybe try going straight to a manager? They absolutely know what's up with the 9400Ms (was it them that had the class-action on the PC-side with HP, or were those newer GPUs?), trick is just getting the wink and nod right to get your logic board replaced.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

keevo posted:

edit: i forgot i can actually look these things up. doesn't look too difficult. i'm just not sure if i should spend the time to repair this thing or if i should just start saving up for a new/used macbook pro or pc

With iFixIt's massive boner for anything Cupertino, you'll have an excellent visual guide. I say get the parts yourself and fix it yourself. Only extra you might need to pick up is thermal grease, and exercise caution with the CPU retention mechanism (tighten/loosen screws in the appropriate order, which Apple may have even indicated to you on the metal). I'm sure iFixIt would call that out though.

e: goddammit I am posting like a scrub, reply != edit

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

keevo posted:

Take the 10 minutes to open it up and blast out the years of dust the fan teeth with a $3 can of air.

If you want to possibly lower the temperature by ~15%, as movax said, you could remove the heatsink assembly, scrape off the crackled and toasted grey thermal cake and replace it with a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver, and replace it. Just be careful peeling up old melted foam and silver tape on the optical drive. This is where a spudger comes in handy instead of your fingernails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

They absolutely know what's up with the 9400Ms (was it them that had the class-action on the PC-side with HP, or were those newer GPUs?), trick is just getting the wink and nod right to get your logic board replaced.

Part of the reason I think people are crazy for wanting so much money for used Macbooks/Macbook Pros is that they often have these video chipsets that are known for making GBS threads the bed. Plus they're 3-4 years old!

A 1-2 year old model, no big deal. But ones with old GeForce or *gasp* Intel GMA? Give me a break.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

kuskus posted:

Take the 10 minutes to open it up and blast out the years of dust the fan teeth with a $3 can of air.

If you want to possibly lower the temperature by ~15%, as movax said, you could remove the heatsink assembly, scrape off the crackled and toasted grey thermal cake and replace it with a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver, and replace it. Just be careful peeling up old melted foam and silver tape on the optical drive. This is where a spudger comes in handy instead of your fingernails.

I did the whole can of air thing about a year ago and for some reason my fan just got louder. Louder as in people will give me looks wondering what's wrong with my laptop when it decides to spin up. I'll probably just try it again and replace the heatsink. It doesn't appear to be too expensive and the only way I can see myself loving up is when I peel up the melted foam.

Oh yeah, is there a cheap place to buy a new battery? It just seems ridiculous to me to pay $130 for a new battery.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that all the non-official batteries are sketchy and not worth the potential issues.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

keevo posted:

Oh yeah, is there a cheap place to buy a new battery? It just seems ridiculous to me to pay $130 for a new battery.

Pretend Apple batteries are made of special unicorn blood and fairy dust and there is nowhere else to get them. It is easier that way.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

keevo posted:

You might be able to save $10-$20 getting it from ifixit.com, depending on the exact model you need. They say they're Apple OEM batteries though I haven't bought one from them yet.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Part of the reason I think people are crazy for wanting so much money for used Macbooks/Macbook Pros is that they often have these video chipsets that are known for making GBS threads the bed. Plus they're 3-4 years old!

A 1-2 year old model, no big deal. But ones with old GeForce or *gasp* Intel GMA? Give me a break.

I'm just setting the price based on previous ebay sales. Supply and demand v:shobon:v

Also, the 9600M GT GPU on this unit doesn't gently caress up, but it must have had an impact on my sperm count by now, because it runs awfully hot...

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

The hard drive in my blackbook died. I want to order a replacement from newegg, will any 200GB 2.5" SATA drive work, or is there something else I need to take note of when ordering?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

kuskus posted:

If you want to possibly lower the temperature by ~15%, as movax said, you could remove the heatsink assembly, scrape off the crackled and toasted grey thermal cake and replace it with a pea-sized amount of Arctic Silver, and replace it.

And if you're going that route, they also now offer ArctiClean, which works like a champ.

Can you use alcohol? Yes.
Will ArctiClean work better on 3+ year old thermal paste and dirt? Yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BrokenDynasty posted:

The hard drive in my blackbook died. I want to order a replacement from newegg, will any 200GB 2.5" SATA drive work, or is there something else I need to take note of when ordering?
Any 2.5" standard-height (9.5mm) SATA drive should work. If you're spending money and don't need a ton of storage space, consider an SSD to make your MacBook feel like a new machine.

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Any 2.5" standard-height (9.5mm) SATA drive should work. If you're spending money and don't need a ton of storage space, consider an SSD to make your MacBook feel like a new machine.

Not looking to spend too much, going to give it away to a friend who needs a computer. Will any capacity drive work, or is there a maximum?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BrokenDynasty posted:

Will any size drive work, or is there a maximum capacity?
Any capacity will work, again as long as it's 9.5mm tall.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Has anyone got any comments on a Henge Dock? I have seen it on ebay and it seems pretty much what I am after. Its for a 13inch 2011 MBP
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Henge-Doc...4#ht_2553wt_933

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

I don't understand, if you still have AppleCare, it should cost you $0.00 to get anything done to the machine, and fixing things will only increase the resale value of it? Can't hurt to ask, I guess. Or maybe try going straight to a manager? They absolutely know what's up with the 9400Ms (was it them that had the class-action on the PC-side with HP, or were those newer GPUs?), trick is just getting the wink and nod right to get your logic board replaced.
I think the class action one was the 8600M (in the earlier gen MBPs), I didn't even know the 9400 had any problems until the previous post about it.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Will he have to watch out for the sudden motion sensor stuff too or can that be easily patched/worked around now?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Has anyone got any comments on a Henge Dock? I have seen it on ebay and it seems pretty much what I am after. Its for a 13inch 2011 MBP
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Henge-Doc...4#ht_2553wt_933

I have one. I don't use it much for its intended purpose (docking station to a monitor and such), mostly as a way to store my MBP on my crowded desk and charge it. I posted pics somewhere in the old Mac HW megathread.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you want just a dock replicator and don't need the whole MBP vertical stand thing you could wait for that Belkin Thunderbolt dock. Doesn't have audio but some cheap USB audio thing should do the trick.

Of course I imagine it's going to cost many times the price of that Henge Dock.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BrokenDynasty posted:

The hard drive in my blackbook died. I want to order a replacement from newegg

BrokenDynasty posted:

Not looking to spend too much, going to give it away to a friend who needs a computer. Will any capacity drive work, or is there a maximum?

:derp:

How about I give you $300 for your broken Mac and you just buy that friend a brand-new $300 laptop at Best Buy?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

I think the class action one was the 8600M (in the earlier gen MBPs), I didn't even know the 9400 had any problems until the previous post about it.

The 9400M on my 2009 MacBook has been working just fine, seems to be something that they screwed up just on the MBP.

quote:

Will he have to watch out for the sudden motion sensor stuff too or can that be easily patched/worked around now?

Yeah, even Apple has documented how to disable SMS so it's not really an issue anymore. Also most major manufacturers are much more cognizant of tuning their drive firmware to include Macs these days.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Welp, my 2008 Macbook Pro decided to bite the dust and I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I do work remotely quite often, so portability is an issue. This originally made me want to get a Macbook Air, but I'm wondering if it's a bit underpowered for my needs.

Most of my work is basic word processing/web based poo poo, but I also do small amounts of photo editing (in lightroom) and a little bit of design stuff (Illustrator). I do most of this on my desktop, but there are times where I've needed it on a laptop.

Could the Air handle stuff like this? Should I just stick with the Pro?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's certainly faster than the 2008 MBP

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

How about I give you $300 for your broken Mac and you just buy that friend a brand-new $300 laptop at Best Buy?

If you provide the link to a $300 Mac laptop at Best Buy you've got a deal. You might be thinking I'd be willing to give a friend a laptop that isn't a Mac, but I like my friends too much to do that.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

BrokenDynasty posted:

If you provide the link to a $300 Mac laptop at Best Buy you've got a deal. You might be thinking I'd be willing to give a friend a laptop that isn't a Mac, but I like my friends too much to do that.

You are a good friend.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Apple completely replaced my semi-liquid damaged (out of warranty) MBP for the $280 flat rate, complete with the installation of the previously undamaged hard drive. What the gently caress?

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Is there any way to calibrate the magic trackpad I have for my mini? I use tap to click and it is about 50% responsive. Batteries are at 89%. I know you can physically click down to click, but I use tap to click on my macbook air and absolutely love it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Apple completely replaced my semi-liquid damaged (out of warranty) MBP for the $280 flat rate, complete with the installation of the previously undamaged hard drive. What the gently caress?

Sometimes awesome poo poo just happens, man.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

They recently waived $800 of parts and labor on a damaged 2010 11-inch Air that didn't have accidental damage or anything (it wasn't my fault, but that's beside the point).

blah_blah posted:

(Canada) The 3TB elements (USB 2.0) drive usually retails for $130 and I've seen it for $110 on sale, I think. The FW800 drive is retailing for $230, Newegg has it for $200 right now + $11 shipping.

You are so far mistaken it's unreal. I'm not trying to be a dick, but naked 3TB drives still cost more than that. You might have seen a really good sale, but they absolutely do not retail for $130. I don't think they even put those drives in the Elements line.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 21, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Does anyone know if Apple still charges a restocking fee for opened laptops, specifically in Canada? I know they did in the past, but I keep reading they ditched it in January whenever I try to find anything about it, mostly because all the search results that come up are blog posts from early January talking about it. I've trawled through a bunch of forum posts, and most replies are written by people either remembering the blog posts they read in January, or the long history of restocking fees.

All language about restocking fees has been removed from their Canadian Returns & Refunds and Sales and Refund Policy pages, but a general Apple Store Purchase Policies page in their legal documents I was only able to find with Google still has the cryptic "10% restocking fee will apply to any non-defective item that requires Apple to perform rework prior to resale".

I ask because I am thinking of getting an MBA to qualify for that $100 app store card in the next hour, and I am dumb and didn't call their customer service before they closed at 8. I'm not 100% sure whether I can live with a 13" laptop for all my use, so it would be good to know I can return it without paying out the rear end.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob_McBob posted:

Does anyone know if Apple still charges a restocking fee for opened laptops, specifically in Canada? I know they did in the past, but I keep reading they ditched it in January whenever I try to find anything about it, mostly because all the search results that come up are blog posts from early January talking about it. I've trawled through a bunch of forum posts, and most replies are written by people either remembering the blog posts they read in January, or the long history of restocking fees.

All language about restocking fees has been removed from their Canadian Returns & Refunds and Sales and Refund Policy pages, but a general Apple Store Purchase Policies page in their legal documents I was only able to find with Google still has the cryptic "10% restocking fee will apply to any non-defective item that requires Apple to perform rework prior to resale".

I ask because I am thinking of getting an MBA to qualify for that $100 app store card in the next hour, and I am dumb and didn't call their customer service before they closed at 8. I'm not 100% sure whether I can live with a 13" laptop for all my use, so it would be good to know I can return it without paying out the rear end.

I vote get it regardless. The MBA is so good that using regular laptops just feels like a burden after that.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

A dude at an Apple store exchanged my wife a brand new (well, probably refurb) iPhone for her phone that was completely submerged for free. I was in and out in 5 minutes. It was a very odd experience. I've generally had really good experiences at Apple stores. Free laptop battery replacements, keyboard replacements, etc. I'm sure the Apple employees are able to get away with a lot.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I vote get it regardless. The MBA is so good that using regular laptops just feels like a burden after that.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it, but I am still having some misgivings and might cancel when I wake up. The sales policy they have you agree to on edu checkout is a pdf that dates back to 2006 and clearly mentions restocking fees on opened merchandise. I tried the normal checkout, and they give you the current sales and refund policy, which doesn't mention restocking fees, but only specifically talks about returning unopened items (could you make this any more cryptic, Apple?).

I'm currently using a 3-1/2 year old 15" Thinkpad I'd be happy to keep for another couple years. Unfortunately it's had a hardware failure (after getting brand new internals in December!) that means I can't use wireless or standby in Windows, and I'm not particularly happy being tethered to a desk all day now. Because I am used to using a 15" laptop, I have some misgivings about going to a 13", especially when I don't *really* need something especially portable. I did look at the 13" MBP too, but the screen resolution is horrendously low. One of the top things I look for in a laptop is a decent quality screen, and the MBA has a good resolution for its size, good contrast ratio, and decent viewing angle. Plus, not too shiny.

I can actually swing something like a Lenovo T520 through work, since we need a new Windows laptop to run various hardware, and I am the only operator and can basically use it as my personal laptop. Unfortunately my employer is not too keen on the idea of an MBA running Windows 7 in Boot Camp for that use, so it kind of comes down to free Thinkpad vs. $1500 MBA in that sense.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does he understand what Boot Camp is?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

You are so far mistaken it's unreal. I'm not trying to be a dick, but naked 3TB drives still cost more than that. You might have seen a really good sale, but they absolutely do not retail for $130. I don't think they even put those drives in the Elements line.

Unreal, man, just unreal!

I ordered the 3TB Studio LX drive a few hours ago, in any event.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 21, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Does he understand what Boot Camp is?

I've explained it, but it's hard to get past the "why would you buy a Mac to use Windows" thing, combined with the idea that the MBA is just a stupid expensive thin laptop for people who have too much money (which I'd tend to agree with until the curent revision).

Doesn't help that NI still doesn't support PXI Express devices in OS X. 25 years of strong Mac support my rear end.

blah_blah posted:

Unreal, man, just unreal!

They're even cheaper on sale. I got mine from Dell for $110 last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

They're even cheaper on sale. I got mine from Dell for $110 last week.

Yeah, I just posted that one because it was clearly the non-sale price. Not sure why he's getting all upset over it. In other words, in practice they end up being half the price of the Studio LX drives, just like I said.