Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I have a really dumb question.

I recently moved into a new place (one bedroom) where my Wifi signal doesn't reach to my bedroom (the modem and Time Capsule are connected to my fiber internet plug at the other end of the apartment). I use the Time Capsule as a wireless router. To combat this, I bought a Wifi extender (D-Link N300) and plugged it in midway between the Time Capsule and my bedroom. The N300 creates another Wifi network that connects to the Time Capsule. This works satisfyingly. However, my TV is in the bedroom and I'm considering buying an Apple TV to use for AirPlay from my stationary Mac that's in the living room and which connects to my Time Capsule. I'm especially looking for a solution to mirror the my desktop to my TV. Will this be possible, since ATV will be connected to a different Wifi network?

This also raises the question: why is the signal from my TC so weak all of a sudden? I used it at my old place (a studio) with no issues. Too many signals in the area? I've done some googling to try out different channels, but I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

widunder posted:

This also raises the question: why is the signal from my TC so weak all of a sudden?

did you put something on top of it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

widunder posted:

I have a really dumb question.

I recently moved into a new place (one bedroom) where my Wifi signal doesn't reach to my bedroom (the modem and Time Capsule are connected to my fiber internet plug at the other end of the apartment). I use the Time Capsule as a wireless router. To combat this, I bought a Wifi extender (D-Link N300) and plugged it in midway between the Time Capsule and my bedroom. The N300 creates another Wifi network that connects to the Time Capsule. This works satisfyingly. However, my TV is in the bedroom and I'm considering buying an Apple TV to use for AirPlay from my stationary Mac that's in the living room and which connects to my Time Capsule. I'm especially looking for a solution to mirror the my desktop to my TV. Will this be possible, since ATV will be connected to a different Wifi network?

I'm pretty sure AirPlay just needs to be on the same broadcast domain (same IP subnet). As long as both wireless networks are on the same subnet, I don't think you should have an issue.

widunder posted:

This also raises the question: why is the signal from my TC so weak all of a sudden? I used it at my old place (a studio) with no issues. Too many signals in the area? I've done some googling to try out different channels, but I can't figure it out.

If nothing has changed in your config or setup, then it's most likely RF interference of some sort. I've had luck with setting the channel selection to auto on my Airport Extreme and it seems to do a good job of avoiding co-channel interference.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Pivo posted:

did you put something on top of it?
No.

flosofl posted:

I'm pretty sure AirPlay just needs to be on the same broadcast domain (same IP subnet). As long as both wireless networks are on the same subnet, I don't think you should have an issue.

If nothing has changed in your config or setup, then it's most likely RF interference of some sort. I've had luck with setting the channel selection to auto on my Airport Extreme and it seems to do a good job of avoiding co-channel interference.
I had it on auto before, no go. Thanks for the heads-up on the AirPlay though, hopefully it'll be okay.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I managed to kill my TC's WiFi range because I put my modem on top of it - turns out that's where the antennas are. If you haven't done such a thing, then I would do a site survey with a scanner tool and pick the least congested channel. Also remember the 5GHz network will have lower range due to the nature of the signal, but it also should be less congested since not a lot of people have 5GHz networks. If 5GHz is congested, the site survey will help there, too.

Otherwise I don't know of anything that would cause sudden degradation of WiFi signal.

You must have a pretty big place if you need a repeater with a Time Capsule! I get full signal on 5GHz on the opposite end of my condo, between like 4 walls, in an incredibly crowded wireless environment (there are probably like 40-50 APs that I can pick up, could likely get closer to 100 if I walk around and scan)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

Yep, as long as you're not doing something funky with the network it should work fine. Course with multiple APs it's common for people to screw things up (double NAT in particular) so just make sure you've got the whole network set up properly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is the right thread but it seems to fit. I've got a MacPro1,1 that I recently purchased some upgrades for, including a SSD to replace my boot HD. I'm curious about the best way to go about cloning the drive onto the SSD so the computer recognizes it as my new boot drive. A friend recommended something called Carbon Copy; said it was relatively painless. Is the cloning process as literal as I'm led to believe - will the computer recognize the new drive as identical to the old one? The only thing I'm really worried about is losing, for example, product licenses or keys for my audio software.

Also, this is my first time installing anything more than a stick of RAM in a computer - I'm totally green at this but I'm told it's DIY-possible. What sort of precautions should I take? I'm aware of grounding; how big a deal is that and how should I do it? I'm putting in the SSD, two 3TB HDs, and 16GB of RAM, keeping an additional 8GB of the original RAM if I have the slots available.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Pivo posted:

Yeah, I managed to kill my TC's WiFi range because I put my modem on top of it - turns out that's where the antennas are. If you haven't done such a thing, then I would do a site survey with a scanner tool and pick the least congested channel. Also remember the 5GHz network will have lower range due to the nature of the signal, but it also should be less congested since not a lot of people have 5GHz networks. If 5GHz is congested, the site survey will help there, too.

Otherwise I don't know of anything that would cause sudden degradation of WiFi signal.

You must have a pretty big place if you need a repeater with a Time Capsule! I get full signal on 5GHz on the opposite end of my condo, between like 4 walls, in an incredibly crowded wireless environment (there are probably like 40-50 APs that I can pick up, could likely get closer to 100 if I walk around and scan)
My place is like 420 sq ft, not sure what else is wrong. Thanks for you help!

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

After two weeks of using the new Macbook, I have to say I'm seriously impressed. Haven't really noticed any speed issues since moving from my rMBP for day to day tasks.

and holy poo poo this has the best speaker in a laptop ever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

widunder posted:

Ok, something else is going here.

I have a 1800 sqft house and my (current model) AirPort Extreme is more than enough to cover the entire house. Granted I have it placed more-or-less in the geometric center of the house, but I'm still getting more range than you appear to be. I did have an older TC prior and did have to use AirPort Express with the "extend a wireless network" for 5GHz to get a signal in the master bedroom with that one. I've never tried a non-apple AP for that (at home).

What kind of construction are the internal walls in your condo? Drywall and studs? Plater and lathe? Concrete? Brick? Those last three are killers on RF signals, especially 5GHz. Any large mirrors or other metal artwork on the wall?

What model is it? Is it the flat one or the tall skinny one? Try elevating it if you can onto a wall shelf or something and make sure there's nothing other than walls in the LoS between the devices you want to connect. I'd try that without your 2nd AP.

widunder
May 2, 2002
It is an old house so brick mostly, although I did place it with a clear line of sight. I'll do a site survey and see what turns up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Speaker posted:

I've got a MacPro1,1 that I recently purchased some upgrades for, including a SSD to replace my boot HD. I'm curious about the best way to go about cloning the drive onto the SSD so the computer recognizes it as my new boot drive. A friend recommended something called Carbon Copy; said it was relatively painless. Is the cloning process as literal as I'm led to believe - will the computer recognize the new drive as identical to the old one? The only thing I'm really worried about is losing, for example, product licenses or keys for my audio software.

It will be identical, you will not lose licenses. There are multiple ways to do this but Carbon Copy Cloner is a pretty good and easy to use option, or at least was the last time I used it. The only real difficulty that may come up is if you don't have enough space on the SSD to hold all your data.

quote:

Also, this is my first time installing anything more than a stick of RAM in a computer - I'm totally green at this but I'm told it's DIY-possible. What sort of precautions should I take? I'm aware of grounding; how big a deal is that and how should I do it? I'm putting in the SSD, two 3TB HDs, and 16GB of RAM, keeping an additional 8GB of the original RAM if I have the slots available.

Grounding: if you plug a cheese grater Mac Pro into a grounded outlet the entire metal case is grounded. Touch the case every so often while working, and don't do things that would generate a static charge (scuffing wool sock'd feet on a carpet etc), and you will be fine.

The Mac Pro 1,1 is very easy to work on when it comes to these items, the only one which might get tricky is the SSD. Do you have one of the 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter trays where the 3.5" SATA connection is exactly where it would be on a real 3.5" SATA HDD? If so, you're set.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Is there any way anyone can think of that I can install my Windows 7 Pro OS on the 2015 Macbook Pro? I'd like to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, but the 2015 range won't allow anything older than 8 to be installed. Meaning that I can't then upgrade it immediately to 10.

Is there a way I can 'trick' the MBPr 2015 into installing Windows 7?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Red Oktober posted:

Is there any way anyone can think of that I can install my Windows 7 Pro OS on the 2015 Macbook Pro? I'd like to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, but the 2015 range won't allow anything older than 8 to be installed. Meaning that I can't then upgrade it immediately to 10.

Is there a way I can 'trick' the MBPr 2015 into installing Windows 7?

From a quick google it doesn't look good. Maybe download VM Fusion and install it in a VM? This would let you register for the free upgrade. I'm presuming from that point on you could use create media to make a win10 usb drive to install from in boot camp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

widunder posted:

No.

I had it on auto before, no go. Thanks for the heads-up on the AirPlay though, hopefully it'll be okay.

Get an airport express and use that as the range extender. They're $60 on the apple refurb store.

As a bonus, you can plug some powered speakers/a receiver into it for an AirPlay-capable sound system.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

widunder posted:

420sqft is like, a bachelor, or a jr 1br in a weird city like NYC. It's slightly smaller than my old bachelor apt where the only wall internal to the unit was the one separating the bathroom. Like literally at full sprint it would take probably about 1.5 seconds to run the length of the place. I always used to joke about giving people "the tour". I'm like "here's the living room / bedroom / kitchen, and the bathroom is behind that door. welcome!"

As the other poster said, something is going on here ... If you own a Mac with AppleCare and you bought your Time Capsule within, what is it, a year (correct me if I'm wrong) of buying the Mac, it's ALSO covered by AppleCare... I've had poo poo WiFi performance on a brand new Mac and I brought it back and getting it swapped out made it work great. Maybe something just got messed up somehow.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The retina display is a heavy beast to push so it's generally advised that you go for the GPU upgrade if you can afford it. It's definitely gonna matter for future-proofing.

The i7 has hyper threading, which the i5 basically has disabled by Intel, iirc. In any case, the i5 doesn't have it and it may/may not be something of tangible benefit to you.

RAM is user-replaceable so it's generally advised that you not buy extra RAM from Apple, unlike with the notebooks. The storage drive is a colossal bitch to get to (to say the least) and you risk loving up your computer.

Tremblay posted:

Storage is a bitch, but do-able:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_27%22_Retina_5k_Display

You can upgrade the RAM yourself. I bought 32GB for ~200$ which is what Apple will charge you for 16GB...

For the retina, go for the GPU upgrade. i5 v i7, how long do you keep a computer for? What will you be doing with it?

Cool, I'll go for the 2014 then since the 2015 doesn't have an option to upgrade the GPU for some reason.

I'm not too worried about storage. The 1TB fusion drive should be more than enough. I'll just put the internal drives from my current tower into one of those external bays.

This will be replacing my main PC. My day to day poo poo is mainly terminal vim and chrome, so nothing too taxing, but I do play a lot of video games. Some of them are pretty cpu intensive, but I don't know if that's something multithreading would help or not.

I'll be hanging on to it for a while, most likely. You know, unless they screw me and release something amazing next year.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Hefty posted:

Cool, I'll go for the 2014 then since the 2015 doesn't have an option to upgrade the GPU for some reason.

I'm not too worried about storage. The 1TB fusion drive should be more than enough. I'll just put the internal drives from my current tower into one of those external bays.

This will be replacing my main PC. My day to day poo poo is mainly terminal vim and chrome, so nothing too taxing, but I do play a lot of video games. Some of them are pretty cpu intensive, but I don't know if that's something multithreading would help or not.

I'll be hanging on to it for a while, most likely. You know, unless they screw me and release something amazing next year.

Apple, so...

FWIW I tend to keep desktops around for 5 years. I added 32GB of RAM myself. Upgrades when I ordered were i7, and 4GB video card. I'm also driving another two external monitors and figured better safe than sorry. Some gaming, day to day personal stuff, VMware hosts when I work from home.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Apple, so...

FWIW I tend to keep desktops around for 5 years. I added 32GB of RAM myself. Upgrades when I ordered were i7, and 4GB video card. I'm also driving another two external monitors and figured better safe than sorry. Some gaming, day to day personal stuff, VMware hosts when I work from home.

Nice, that's pretty much my exact use case. I guess I'll pull the trigger. Thanks, y'all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Tremblay posted:

From a quick google it doesn't look good. Maybe download VM Fusion and install it in a VM? This would let you register for the free upgrade. I'm presuming from that point on you could use create media to make a win10 usb drive to install from in boot camp.

dont do this, windows 10 doesnt use license keys and is tied to hardware

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Stux posted:

dont do this, windows 10 doesnt use license keys and is tied to hardware

Well poop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7017369

post 2 maybe? I don't have a Win7 iso handy to test

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hefty posted:

Nice, that's pretty much my exact use case. I guess I'll pull the trigger. Thanks, y'all.

You won't game comfortably at 5k/4k (when booted into Windows the default resolution is scaled to 4k instead of the native 5) but the M295x is apparently pretty solid through 1080 and 1440p.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Since the Apple TV is a hundred years old and the Airplay on it sux rear end, are there any decent alternatives with about the same features? Chromecast or bust?

Edit: And as I write this post: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/30/new-apple-tv-coming-in-september/

Xabi fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 31, 2015

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tremblay posted:

Well poop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7017369

post 2 maybe? I don't have a Win7 iso handy to test

I haven't been able to get that solution working before, but I'm starting to wonder if my USB drive is just corrupt - I'll have to try with another. Cheers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xabi posted:

Since the Apple TV is a hundred years old and the Airplay on it sux rear end, are there any decent alternatives with about the same features? Chromecast or bust?

Edit: And as I write this post: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/30/new-apple-tv-coming-in-september/

My housemate bought an apple TV when they got really cheap a few months back. Frankly it seems to work fine for him and he uses the Airplay feature all the time. I'd rate it as slightly nicer than my Roku 2 with the single exception that it's a bit more of a PITA to play video files downloaded from "wherever."

It's certainly not top of the line right now and you have to be willing to stick to mostly legitimate media, but I've never seen it act like the flaming piece of poo poo that nearly everyone seems to think it is.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BobHoward posted:

It will be identical, you will not lose licenses. There are multiple ways to do this but Carbon Copy Cloner is a pretty good and easy to use option, or at least was the last time I used it. The only real difficulty that may come up is if you don't have enough space on the SSD to hold all your data.

Grounding: if you plug a cheese grater Mac Pro into a grounded outlet the entire metal case is grounded. Touch the case every so often while working, and don't do things that would generate a static charge (scuffing wool sock'd feet on a carpet etc), and you will be fine.

The Mac Pro 1,1 is very easy to work on when it comes to these items, the only one which might get tricky is the SSD. Do you have one of the 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter trays where the 3.5" SATA connection is exactly where it would be on a real 3.5" SATA HDD? If so, you're set.

I grabbed an AdaptaDrive for the SSD, yeah. That's great, sounds easier than I thought. Thanks for the tips!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xabi posted:

Chromecast is really great but it won't let you mirror/extend your display and you're limited by what can be accessed.

Also there's no music streaming functionality so you won't be able to wirelessly play music files/stream spotify through it, if that's something you hope to do.

I wouldn't trust that refresh rumor 100% (like any rumor) but it's generally safe to assume that rumor posts on major mainstream sources (WSJ, etc) are Apple PR managing the hype train without directly saying stuff like THIS PRODUCT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN LEAKING AND HINTING AT FOR YEARS ISN'T SHIPPING YET, DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP or WE'RE UNVEILING THIS BRAND NEW THING NEXT MONTH WITH RAD NEW FEATURES/TECH, TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

There's a reason why every major news provider with "sources close to Apple" was trumpeting WWDC as the new ATV launch for weeks before abruptly changing course and squashing it a week or two before ("not quite ready for prime time"). Same thing could probably be said about the retina MacBook.

Which is to say that maybe I'd wait 2-3 months?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
What's supposed to be wrong with AirPlay? Works fine for me; I AirPlay things from either my iPad, my computer, or my NAS every night.

Seconding the wait-until-September thing though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

Airplay with AppleTV is fine. I use it daily for HD content. Check your wifi connection.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Chromecast DOES stream Google Play Music, so even if it's lacking in options you could still do that. Iirc their radio stations are now free as is the cloud locker.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you want to stream files to the ATV, I like "Beamer". That works very well. AirPlay is garbage. Lag and stream disruption even when sender and receiver are both on a fixed connection. Or 802.11ac in the same room lol, like what, 800mbit isn't enough to not be poo poo? I can stream video games over wifi from the other corner of my unit at over 60fps and 1080p with audio, instant reaction, no lag, stable. AirPlay can't even handle sending a 1080p stream to my ATV without breaking up, on the same connection. AirPlay should go on the list of things that Apple ships that are terrible.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 31, 2015

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Pivo posted:

If you want to stream files to the ATV, I like "Beamer". That works very well.

Seconding this. It's great for playing all the file types that iTunes doesn't understand with no skipping/buffering. I have an Apple TV and a Chromecast, but I hardly ever use the latter.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just picked up the 13.3 rMBP with the 256 gb ssd. I'm going to need to run bootcamp for some student engineering programs but I don't want to fork over an extra $300 for the 512 gb for peace of mind with space. Curious if anybody has had any luck with something like this http://www.cultofmac.com/311348/visiontek-usb-pocket-ssd-review/ in case 256 really turns out to be too tight a squeeze later on:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ethanol posted:

I just picked up the 13.3 rMBP with the 256 gb ssd. I'm going to need to run bootcamp for some student engineering programs but I don't want to fork over an extra $300 for the 512 gb for peace of mind with space. Curious if anybody has had any luck with something like this http://www.cultofmac.com/311348/visiontek-usb-pocket-ssd-review/ in case 256 really turns out to be too tight a squeeze later on:

The minimum install for Windows 8.1 is 20GB for 64bit. I have an 80GB install (running in VMWare however so it can grow if needed) and have had no issues. You could even look into Parallels or VMWare with the VMs on a USB3 drive if you don't absolutely need the SSD speeds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ethanol posted:

Why not just stick a 2.5" or mSATA SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure?

Back in the snow leopard days I ran OS X off a 2.5" SSD in a USB 2.0 enclosure and it was fine.

Can you run Windows off an external USB drive, though?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ethanol posted:

could you not buy a larger ssd and sell the stock one?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The article he linked seems to make it seem that while it's a bitch to set up, it does work.

Sounds annoying to me, though. I'd get the 512GB machine. But if it's a solution, it's a solution.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Why not just stick a 2.5" or mSATA SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure?

Back in the snow leopard days I ran OS X off a 2.5" SSD in a USB 2.0 enclosure and it was fine.

I don't think a native install of Windows (like with bootcamp) will allow the system drive to be on USB since activation is tied to the combination of serial key and hardware.

Works good for VMs, though.

Ratjaculation posted:

could you not buy a larger ssd and sell the stock one?

You can, but you'll need some special bit drivers (as in pentalobe, not software drivers). And it looks to be a pain in the rear end.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 31, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

USB 3.0 is more than capable enough as long as you can get the OS working on it, or you use the external drive as extra storage and have a smaller partition on the 256GB.

I am using a Samsung EVO 500GB with this case to store my steam library and it works great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VKTJGW

Any enclosure that says it has UASP support should pair with a decent SSD and give you 450MB/s speed and will save you a lot of money compared to buying a thunderbolt enclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

flosofl posted:

I don't think a native install of Windows (like with bootcamp) will allow the system drive to be on USB since activation is tied to the combination of serial key and hardware.

Works good for VMs, though.

You can, but you'll need some special bit drivers (as in pentalobe, not software drivers). And it looks to be a pain in the rear end.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

It's really not. biggest pain is keeping track of which screws came out of where on the base since they are not all the same depth.