Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mark Larson posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook AL or 13" Macbook Pro. Budget around $700. Is that good? Will it get me a machine that'll be reasonably powerful on Snow Leopard or Lion? Or should I save up a little and get a brand new closeout Macbook Pro from Microcenter for $999?

They're not closeouts, they're just regular i5 Macbook Pros. I went from a 2.4GHz C2D to an i5, both with the same SSD and honestly there wasn't a huge difference. My VM's are faster but everything else feels the same. It's still only dual-core so depending on what you're doing it might be worth saving the $300, if you can get a previous-gen 13" MBP for $700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

illcendiary posted:

Does Amazon typically take extra time to process computer orders? I bought a 13" MBA last night along with some protein powder, and the powder shipped out today but the laptop is still listed as "shipping soon." I have Amazon Prime so both should have two-day shipping. The powder will be here Saturday, and the expected delivery date of the computer is Monday. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if that's normal.

Depends on the location of the distribution center where the computer is currently at. I ordered my MBA a couple months ago on Amazon (also with Prime) on a Tuesday, with expected delivery on Thursday. It didn't ship until Wednesday, but the tracking info showed it originated only a couple states away and it arrived on time Thursday.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I've got a C2D unibody MBP from late 2008, and I'm having issues with either the Magsafe adapter or the battery. It's finicky about charging when it's plugged in; the Magsafe light turns on, but it will tell me it's not charging, then randomly charge for a bit, then not charge. I've tried different outlets with the same result. When it says it's not charging, the battery drains pretty steadily even though it shows the power source as being the adapter. Finally, it's got a 'service battery' warning, so I'm hoping it's just due for a new one. Any other ideas?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2636880970.html
Am I looking at an easy-ish fix or should I keep looking?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BlackMK4 posted:

Something doesn't quite jive; he pays out all that money for a monitor but can't take the time to fix it? If he can forward you the threads, maybe.. Otherwise if it were me I'd avoid the hassle of a dodgy monitor and $300 could get you a decent SSD instead..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I wouldn't risk that much for a known flaky (for whatever mystery reasons) out of warranty display.

...and speaking of SSDs, 256GB for $330.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Yeah I wouldn't risk that much for a known flaky (for whatever mystery reasons) out of warranty display.

...and speaking of SSDs, 256GB for $330.

I need one in my work iMac so bad. BEACHBALL BEACHBALL BEACHBALL

That one is actually big enough that I could use, and cheap enough where my boss might buy it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

I've got a C2D unibody MBP from late 2008, and I'm having issues with either the Magsafe adapter or the battery. It's finicky about charging when it's plugged in; the Magsafe light turns on, but it will tell me it's not charging, then randomly charge for a bit, then not charge. I've tried different outlets with the same result. When it says it's not charging, the battery drains pretty steadily even though it shows the power source as being the adapter. Finally, it's got a 'service battery' warning, so I'm hoping it's just due for a new one. Any other ideas?
I've seen that issue a fair amount with the 85W adapters. It's been the adapter each time, but the "service battery" message you're getting makes me think there's something else afoot as well.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Why is it taking so long for ssd prices to drop?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Manky posted:

Why is it taking so long for ssd prices to drop?

Three years ago, an 80GB X-25M was almost $600. The are $150 now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BlackMK4 posted:

I've had somewhat simliar issues with the ACD and it ended up being a dying monitor. I would stay away.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Three years ago, an 80GB X-25M was almost $600. The are $150 now.

Four years ago, Hitachi started selling the first terabyte hard drive for $370. They're about $55 now. Isn't flash memory dirt cheap these days?

e: I guess if the X-25M drops another $50 in the next year I can't complain so much, but I guess I just want a 256GB SSD that's affordable to my budget.

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Manky posted:

Four years ago, Hitachi started selling the first terabyte hard drive for $370. They're about $55 now. Isn't flash memory dirt cheap these days?

They make way more of those. I expected SSD prices to have come down more than they have, too.

They honestly haven't came down THAT much, the 120GB drives are roughly what they were a year ago

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

This is just a guess, but I imagine prices will drop significantly once SSDs stop being an option and become the standard when buying a new pc. Macbook Airs obviously do this and some netbooks, but I think it's still a hard option to sell people on, especially at current prices.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Binary Badger posted:

Something doesn't quite jive; he pays out all that money for a monitor but can't take the time to fix it? If he can forward you the threads, maybe.. Otherwise if it were me I'd avoid the hassle of a dodgy monitor and $300 could get you a decent SSD instead..

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction monitor wise. :) I've got a Corsair Force3 now.

mayodreams posted:

I've had somewhat simliar issues with the ACD and it ended up being a dying monitor. I would stay away.

Fair enough. :smith:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I don't know if there's any collusion in the industry like there was in memory for a while, but it seems like SSDs have been getting faster, not cheaper. But you can actually get a usable one (60GB+) for around $100 these days, which isn't bad. Its just not as convenient as a platter drive, especially for a laptop where you can't rely on a second hard drive or Gigabit networked storage available all the time.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
My wife wants a new laptop. I'm thinking about getting her an Air but I was wondering: Will it run Photoshop with any sort of performance coming close to decent?

And this is a harder question, but what about Second Life? (Probably not something anyone knows)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Mu Zeta posted:

What does the red signify?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Nice to see the 09 Mac Pro still holds its own. I wouldn't mind seing the 6 and 12-core machines on that list.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steampunk Hitler posted:

The new (at the time of the review) Macbook Air, since the article was about them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steampunk Hitler posted:

2011 macbook airs

E: oops beaten

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

~Coxy posted:

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

Yeah I know this is old but that's a terrible guide. I actually did this myself being frustrated and have a SSD installed with no fan issues and it works properly.

You get this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details which you plug into SATA1 on the logic board. Fish that cable so that it goes to where the optical drive goes, plug your SSD in and use some two-sided tape to attach to the optical drive. Doing a Y cable off the platter HD will gently caress your fans up and make them spin at full blast.

Yes, it's ghetto but it's how Apple does it sans-mount and so long as you don't break anything Apple will still cover all other parts of your iMac under warranty.

Warder
Nov 2, 2004
I'm looking to buy 2 older MacBook Pros for myself and my wife. I've been looking at the late 2008 15". Is there a good place to buy them? I'd like to spend like 550 on each, ebay is like 100 more than that at least.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I'm probably going to do some retail therapy later and buy myself a macbook air. I'm not doing anything insane with the thing, maybe Excel (doubtful). Is the core i7 upgrade worth the hassle of having it delivered? I'm sure that's been answered a million times, but how about one more time for TheState??

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Warder posted:

I'm looking to buy 2 older MacBook Pros for myself and my wife. I've been looking at the late 2008 15". Is there a good place to buy them? I'd like to spend like 550 on each, ebay is like 100 more than that at least.

Lenovo (yes, Lenovo) was selling a bunch of them the other day through their refurb site, but they got gobbled up on Slickdeals in a hurry. They were around $500.

TheState posted:

I'm probably going to do some retail therapy later and buy myself a macbook air. I'm not doing anything insane with the thing, maybe Excel (doubtful). Is the core i7 upgrade worth the hassle of having it delivered?

no.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Lenovo (yes, Lenovo) was selling a bunch of them the other day through their refurb site, but they got gobbled up on Slickdeals in a hurry. They were around $500.

no.

Thought so. gently caress the haters, Core i5 4 lyfe.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warder posted:

Not an early '08 15"? I've been wanting to sell mine. Who would want you now MacBookPro4,1 :(

Warder
Nov 2, 2004

Manky posted:

Not an early '08 15"? I've been wanting to sell mine. Who would want you now MacBookPro4,1 :(

Thanks, but from what I've seen the late 08 one is the one to get.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Warder posted:

It's been almost 3 years to the day since those were released now, so give it another few weeks and people might start selling them cheaper as the applecare is running out.

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 14, 2011

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

I've seen that issue a fair amount with the 85W adapters. It's been the adapter each time, but the "service battery" message you're getting makes me think there's something else afoot as well.

It ended up being the adapter. I pulled the battery and it was starting to bulge, so I'm assuming that's what was throwing the "service battery" error. Replaced it as well.

Now that I've got that sorted, it's time to bump the RAM to 8GB and throw in a bigger, faster hard drive.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
So I'm debating the MacBook Pro. They have the two models of the 15", one w/ 256 mb of video and the other with 1gb of video. If I want to play some games on the MacBook, is there a huge difference? Because the price difference is insane...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hunter x az posted:

So I'm debating the MacBook Pro. They have the two models of the 15", one w/ 256 mb of video and the other with 1gb of video. If I want to play some games on the MacBook, is there a huge difference? Because the price difference is insane...
Yes it's a huge difference.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It's not the amount of video ram that's the issue, but the higher-end one does have a much better video card overall (6750M vs 6490M). Not sure if it's $400 better, but it's basically a difference between "can play most recent games ok" and "can't play most recent games except with the settings turned way down". Then again you could buy like 3 consoles for $400.

anyway: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I'm thinking that 400$ could be best spent on the upgraded screen and 8gb of ram and maybe the SSD. What do you guys say?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Then you need to decide how important playing games on it is, because a higher-res screen is going to further amplify the GPU's weakness.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My new employer just picked me up this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

Which is pretty awesome (although would have rather had 500gb and 7200rpm instead of 750gb and 5400).

I think I may throw 8gb in it, and an SSD, think they'll care? :)

Edit: Didn't get high res either, but in the refurb store, it's like 400-500 more to get a model with it.
Edit2: Apparently only about $130 now, was only on the ~$2200 one yesterday...

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Then you need to decide how important playing games on it is, because a higher-res screen is going to further amplify the GPU's weakness.

Probably not much, as I have a gaming PC already built. This is more for web development, and academic stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes it's a huge difference.

Christ, it's barely better than the 330M in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Got the 11" MBA yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, except that I forgot to buy a case for it at the Apple store and Best Buy doesn't have any that fit it. Guess I'll go buy a manilla envelope, herp derp.