Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Theophany posted:

In a move of desperation in the interest of remaining barely relevant I got a pretty good deal on a GTX 980 Ti for my cheese grater Mac Pro. Will be interesting to see the performance increase from a GTX 680.

Hey, maybe if Apple doesn't completely gently caress it up this time, you can ultimately turn around and move that 980 Ti into whatever the Mac Pro replacement becomes. (I don't actually have any hope for this).

Edit - fixed the 989 since I don't know how to type.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

Hey, maybe if Apple doesn't completely gently caress it up this time, you can ultimately turn around and move that 989 Ti into whatever the Mac Pro replacement becomes. (I don't actually have any hope for this).

They specifically mentioned it will be modular and that they're aware the cylinder turned out to be too narrowly focused to be a good fit for all the diversity of needs the Mac Pro should cover. That's hopeful!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BobHoward posted:

They specifically mentioned it will be modular and that they're aware the cylinder turned out to be too narrowly focused to be a good fit for all the diversity of needs the Mac Pro should cover. That's hopeful!

“We’re making it modular by giving it Thunderbolt 3.”

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Platystemon posted:

“We’re making it modular by giving it Thunderbolt 3.”

quote:

Matthew Panzarino (TechCrunch): What’s your philosophy on external GPUs?

Craig Federighi: I think they have a place.

Matthew Panzarino (TechCrunch): Seems like it would have offered the maximum flexibility in the space where you would never have to worry about thermal problems theoretically as long as the external GPU was built right.

John Ternus: I think there’s some aspects of them where they’re going to be beneficial and there’s some workloads where they’re going to be less effective.

The last phrase there says to me they're aware eGPUs aren't really an answer for some users. (The TechCrunch writer evidently isn't, but lol techcrunch)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BobHoward posted:

Yeah, I am hoping "modular" = "add the graphics card you want... as long as it's supported" (somehow). Even if they keep the status quo and nVidia keeps churning out their own drivers, I'd be ok with that, and would buy a (new, modular) Mac Pro on day one if it'll accept reasonably standard sized GPUs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not a hardware question but an older Mac of mine (running 10.6.8) just recently stopped unarchiving .zip files... "Error 1 - Operation not permitted." The Unarchiver and other .zip utilities similarly don't work - some of them say the file requires a password. What's going on here?

EDIT: I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 17, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Mac Pro is going to take a normal GPU that you can change out. The way they talked about how the Trashcan failed only makes sense if they resolve it with the ability to get back in parity with commodity GPUs. They know where they hosed up. I think it's as close to certain as you can get.

I think it's pretty obvious what it's going to be, as far as big specs go, but I'm curious what ends up being the "earth shattering" new features they dream up to justify the delay into 2018.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The delay is probably because they just started working on it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It might be that Skylake-E isn't going to be available until 2018 or very late 2017 and they don't want to start on Broadwell-E, which in addition to having come out a while ago is almost certainly the last generation for that platform.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So can you buy a video card that outputs thunderbolt 3 via usb-c or would that require some amount of bespoke engineering?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The delay is probably because they just started working on it.
Kinda wonder if they held out hoping (really nicely binned) node shrunk GPUs would be feasible upgrades before those finally came out last year and weren't as efficient as they needed. AMD blowing it early on with Polaris power usage probably didn't help.

Meanwhile Nvidia just happened to start hiring folks to work on Mac stuff around September.

wdarkk posted:

So can you buy a video card that outputs thunderbolt 3 via usb-c or would that require some amount of bespoke engineering?
Currently no. If it's possible to plop on TB3 outputs, I dunno. I'm thinking it'd have to take some PCIe lanes (4 per controller) to work as TB in the first place, and hell if I know if that's possible while sharing the slot with a GPU. USB-C should be possible since it can work just as a DisplayPort output basically.

There's a trick to take GPU output and pass it through internally to an IGP, but big Xeons don't have them (supposedly it'll be a customization option starting with Skylake but I don't think Apple will care/sell enough to go that route). They could just plop on some low end AMD/NV mobile GPU for that though, or rig up some bare bones custom GPU purely for passing through the image. The possible issue with this is the overhead/bandwidth usage, particularly since you could be talking about something like multiple 8K signals to work with.

...and ignoring all that, one big issue with TB3 is that it's still on DP 1.2, which is limited to 2x4K (so 5K or up requires MST). I'm hoping part of the wait is for a new version of TB that can handle DP 1.3 or 1.4. And ideally the Mac Pro just takes standard GPUs and leaves the outputs exposed like plain ol normal cards cause possible future issues like that. If they want to kneecap users I'm hoping it's something standard but lesser used like short length cards rather than something completely proprietary.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm sort of split between hoping that the new new Mac Pro can somehow output its video on TB3 so that it can share monitors with any future MBP I might buy, but also hoping it'd just output straight out of the card for the reasons you articulated.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If that's your primary concern then the solution is just a dongle away.

Fake edit: some future mbp? All bets are off here who knows what'll happen

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Anything could happen, up to and including an in-case adapter, that sits between the GPU and the outside of the case to output video via USB-C.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

What should I know about putting an SSD into Early 2009 Mac Pro? I read that there used to be problems with TRIM support, but not as of recent macOS releases. Can I just use one of the suggested SSD's from the SSD thread?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Edit: I thought it said MacBook Pro not Mac Pro

Just don't use a Sandforce drive with the NVIDIA chipset in the 09-10 MBP, unless it's from OWC. You're limited to SATA II (300mbs) so peak speeds aren't hugely important.

Previously you had to jump through hoops to get TRIM to work but now you can just do a "sudo trimforce enable" from the Terminal and have it work.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Unboxing Day posted:

What should I know about putting an SSD into Early 2009 Mac Pro? I read that there used to be problems with TRIM support, but not as of recent macOS releases. Can I just use one of the suggested SSD's from the SSD thread?

SATA based drives you put into the drive bays are going to be limited speed because of the now ancient SATA controller in that model.

Better if you get a SATA SSD and put it in a PCI carrier card like this one and save the media bays for more plodgety storage like a cheap 4 TB platter based drive for backups.

If you want the fastest speed possible, get a Kingston HyperX Predator SSD and put it in one of your free PCIe slots, it'll run the fastest possible from the slot.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Better if you get a SATA SSD and put it in a PCI carrier card like this one and save the media bays for more plodgety storage like a cheap 4 TB platter based drive for backups.

What about a plain old SATA3-on-a-card like this one?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Unboxing Day posted:

What about a plain old SATA3-on-a-card like this one?

Then you gotta find somewhere to mount the SSD and run power to them in addition to the SATA cable. And Mac Pros seem finicky about booting from random SATA cards; don't buy one unless it's got solid, Mac Pro specific reviews (the best you've got in that one seems to be one person saying "it works in my hackintosh").

I use two of the cards Binary Badger linked to in my 2009 cheese grater. No fuss, no muss.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

SATA based drives you put into the drive bays are going to be limited speed because of the now ancient SATA controller in that model.

If you want the fastest speed possible, get a Kingston HyperX Predator SSD and put it in one of your free PCIe slots, it'll run the fastest possible from the slot.

I mean you can do that but it's literally $90 for something that you won't notice the difference with unless you're doing heavy work on your SSD. If it's just your boot volume this is way OTT.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also, nowhere in that Syba card's description is there any mention of Mac support. As Choadmaster said, unless the vendor of the card is known for Mac support, or just by sheer luck the card uses a chipset that Apple supports (and they are super loving bad at admitting this) in either their drivers or EFI, it likely won't work.

Theophany posted:

I mean you can do that but it's literally $90 for something that you won't notice the difference with unless you're doing heavy work on your SSD. If it's just your boot volume this is way OTT.

If you're working on a seven year old machine, why not get the most out of it you can? Sure, he could just jam a SATA SSD in one of the drive bays and call it a day. But I when I got a 2012 Mac Pro, I bought it with a Samsung SSD option and it felt pretty slow running from the SATA port; when I put it on the Velocity Solo and went to PCIe slot booting, my boot times decreased considerably and overall it felt much snappier.

These days I have a 512 GB Samsung 951 'gum stick' SSD bought in November of last year, slotted onto a Lycom DT-120 PCIe card, and my boot and operating speed are similar to a modern day rMBP.

Bob Morales posted:

Just don't use a Sandforce drive with the NVIDIA chipset in the 09-10 MBP, unless it's from OWC. You're limited to SATA II (300mbs) so peak speeds aren't hugely important.

gently caress OWC forever, a friend of mine bought their trash can pro SSDs, the 512 GB ones (to upgrade from the 256 GB in stock build) and they both failed within the year. Also, with the proper SSD/PCIe card combo you can boot and run apps from a SSD that gets 1200-1400 MB/sec on even an Early 2009 Mac Pro, and you don't even have to flash it to the 5,1 ROM.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 20, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

If you're working on a seven year old machine, why not get the most out of it you can? Sure, he could just jam a SATA SSD in one of the drive bays and call it a day. But I when I got a 2012 Mac Pro, I bought it with a Samsung SSD option and it felt pretty slow running from the SATA port; when I put it on the Velocity Solo and went to PCIe slot booting, my boot times decreased considerably and overall it felt much snappier.

These days I have a 512 GB Samsung 951 'gum stick' SSD bought in November of last year, slotted onto a Lycom DT-120 PCIe card, and my boot and operating speed are similar to a modern day rMBP.

I'm not disagreeing that it will be faster, just that I don't notice my 5,1 being appreciably slower than say my 2014 rMBP which has a poo poo hot SSD. But I don't do heavy read/write loads on my SSD and the machine runs 24/7 so I'm not going through boot cycles often.

Just seems like if the speed difference is really that important you wouldn't be using a seven year old machine with a generation old PCI-e bus to begin with. :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm going on the 'it's five years old at this point so why not push it to the edge' plan. If all he wants is a bootable SSD, all he should do is get a nice SATA and leave it at that.

Also in the topic of possibly extravagant purchases, I've paired my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to my cMP and am loving the hell out of OpenEMU as the latest version (v.2.0.5) supports it OOTB. Don't have a Switch juuuuuuust yet but I'm rediscovering all this PSP and other poo poo and I'm playing Metal Slug X on my Mac.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That sounds neat - what app do you use to emulate? Does it run off standard PSP ROMs?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

How can you not know about :

OpenEmu!

It's an open source universal console emulator for MacOS, needs at least El Capitan.

Among the systems it emulates: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari 800/2600/5200, PSP, PS1, TurboGrafix, NeoGeo Pocket, and a bunch of others. It also supports PlayStation DualShock 3 and 4 and a good number of other Bluetooth / USB / Logitech wireless game pads, and the Switch Pro Controller as I mentioned. poo poo, it's even got TouchBar support and runs well on Sierra, and it's regularly updated.

It also organizes your ROMs/images into neat categories, I prefer to do it by platform.

You do have to download a number of emulation 'cores' and/or ROMs, but it's well worth it for FREE.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

OpenEmu!

It's an open source universal console emulator for MacOS, needs at least El Capitan.

Among the systems it emulates: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari 800/2600/5200, PSP, PS1, TurboGrafix, NeoGeo Pocket, and a bunch of others. It also supports PlayStation DualShock 3 and 4 and a good number of other Bluetooth / USB / Logitech wireless game pads, and the Switch Pro Controller as I mentioned. poo poo, it's even got TouchBar support and runs well on Sierra, and it's regularly updated.

You do have to download a number of emulation 'cores' and/or ROMs, but it's well worth it for FREE.

Yo when I get fired for doing nothing at all at work, it's on your head bro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

OpenEmu!
This is like the very first thing I install on a Mac

:megaman: :mario: :laugh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yo happy to be of help :v:

Forgot to mention PS2, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are in the works, though there's no guarantee they'll ever come out in finalized, non-beta form.

They offer an experimental build for Saturn, and I have a carefully preserved, earlier experimental build with PS2 support. Glitchy on Colony Wars: Red Sun but not badly.

Helps to have a dGPU, but it runs quite well on my Late 2013 rMBP with the crappy Intel Iris 5100 iGPU.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 20, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

OpenEmu!

While we're talking emulation, Boxer is very good for running and organising most old DOS games if that's your jam.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

Yo happy to be of help :v:

Forgot to mention PS2, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are in the works, though there's no guarantee they'll ever come out in finalized, non-beta form.

They offer an experimental build for Saturn, and I have a carefully preserved, earlier experimental build with PS2 support. Glitchy on Colony Wars: Red Sun but not badly.

Helps to have a dGPU, but it runs quite well on my Late 2013 rMBP with the crappy Intel Iris 5100 iGPU.

I got a 980Ti for £120 earlier this week and whacked it in my 5.1, if the PS2 core makes it to light I'm in real trouble!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I need to get rid of some Mac laptops. I really only need 1 or 2 and somehow I ended up with a dumb amount for one person..

2013 MBPr 13", 8/512
2013 MBPr 15", 8/256
2015 rMB 12", 8/256
2010 MBP 13", 4/256

poo poo I even have a T450S that I never use

I'll be busy this weekend but I'll probably put a FS thread up in SA-Mart in a few days, just to give a heads up to anyone looking.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I need to get rid of some Mac laptops. I really only need 1 or 2 and somehow I ended up with a dumb amount for one person..

2013 MBPr 13", 8/512
2013 MBPr 15", 8/256
2015 rMB 12", 8/256
2010 MBP 13", 4/256

I'll be busy this weekend but I'll probably put a FS thread up in SA-Mart in a few days, just to give a heads up to anyone looking.

Cost and condition on the 2 2013 Mbpr?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Cost and condition on the 2 2013 Mbpr?

Probably $750 for each of them

13" is mint, probably 200 battery cycles. I have owned it since new and it's always been in a soft case.

15" is 8.5/10, a couple minor scratches on the lid and a mark on the speaker, similar battery cycles.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Bob Morales posted:

2013 MBPr 13", 8/512
2013 MBPr 15", 8/256
2015 rMB 12", 8/256
2010 MBP 13", 4/256

price on these?
2013 MBPr 15", 8/256
2015 rMB 12", 8/256

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spilled some water on my late 2013 rMPB last Tuesday. The computer mostly recovered after drying with the exception of charging issues. The battery holds a charge and functions normally when running on battery power but I now have issues charging it. About 75% of the time when it's plugged in the computer recognizes that a power adapter's plugged in but it will not actually charge the battery. The rest of the time it seems to work fairly normally.

Took it to the Apple Store today for diagnosis and fortunately the logic board and non power related components all checked out. He recommended the installation of a new MagSafe 2 board for $130 including labor. He said that if it didn't work they'd have to send it in to a repair center for >$400 and I certainly wouldn't bother with that on a 4 year old computer.

It's certainly worth the $130 to me if it actually works, but what do you guys think the chances are it actually solves the problem? Hate to spend the money if it doesn't actually work.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ask to speak to someone else. Apple shouldn't be charging you $130 for a repair that doesn't work. They can feel free to put the old part in if it doesn't fix it, though.

When I had water damage repaired to an older laptop of mine from Apple, I made sure to get it in writing that the water damage was fully repaired and waranteed. When it had mainboard issues later on and they claimed 'water damage' I said 'nuh-uh, you guys fixed that, here's the note on the receipt'. Free mainboard for me.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pivo posted:

Ask to speak to someone else. Apple shouldn't be charging you $130 for a repair that doesn't work.

They did the same for me about a year ago, new policy is if Apple charges you for a repair that doesn't work, they'll apply the cost of that repair as a credit for future repairs. So if the $130 repair doesn't work, then you can get the $450 repair done for only $320 (450-130) more.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well that's not very consumer-friendly and has got to be against the law in some jurisdictions and hasn't been my experience. What's stopping repair places from charging you for unnecessary repairs under the guise that it might fix it?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

Well that's not very consumer-friendly and has got to be against the law in some jurisdictions and hasn't been my experience. What's stopping repair places from charging you for unnecessary repairs under the guise that it might fix it?

Idk what you're expecting here? They're offering you the cheaper of the two repairs which may fix the problem, though there is no way to be sure. If that repair doesn't work out, they'll offer you a credit toward the more expensive repair. Are they supposed to just do all the initial work for free because you're an idiot that spilled water on your laptop?

I don't like being confrontational but your predicament is why insurance policies exist. It would be unfriendly to the consumer to automatically suggest the most expensive repairs without considering the more cost effective possibilities first.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Theophany posted:

Idk what you're expecting here? They're offering you the cheaper of the two repairs which may fix the problem, though there is no way to be sure. If that repair doesn't work out, they'll offer you a credit toward the more expensive repair. Are they supposed to just do all the initial work for free because you're an idiot that spilled water on your laptop?

I don't like being confrontational but your predicament is why insurance policies exist.

I am not the person with the damage. Try to pay attention.