Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

I am not the person with the damage. Try to pay attention.

That doesn't make your post any less loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If only Apple made their laptops unserviceable by even their own repair guys, conflicts like this wouldn't happen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Theophany posted:

That doesn't make your post any less loving stupid.

You sound pretty stupid yourself. I have a $130 thing that might fix it. Cash or credit?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

You sound pretty stupid yourself. I have a $130 thing that might fix it. Cash or credit?

Why would they quote liquid on your MLB if you got it replaced? Something doesn't make sense with your story. What was your logic board issue after they replaced liquid damaged parts?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

PIvo, I know in this case it wasn't you, but haven't you had like a dozen or more items damaged due to liquid that you've had to have repaired/replaced?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

PIvo, I know in this case it wasn't you, but haven't you had like a dozen or more items damaged due to liquid that you've had to have repaired/replaced?

Three. Two laptops one iPhone over like two decades of tech? Laptops were spills, phone fell in the toilet. I just tell the stories a lot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WTF, on what planet would it ever be even remotely reasonable to charge for a repair that doesn't repair anything? It's one thing to charge for diagnostics, but Apple specifically doesn't seem to do that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AlternateAccount posted:

WTF, on what planet would it ever be even remotely reasonable to charge for a repair that doesn't repair anything? It's one thing to charge for diagnostics, but Apple specifically doesn't seem to do that.

Presumably they're putting a new part in your computer that they can't exactly pass along to the next person as "new" without at least putting it back into the refurbishment pipeline.

It's the same reason why car shops often have a very clear no returns policy on batteries. Alternator problems are frequently mistaken for battery problems, and if the new battery doesn't keep your car running because the alternator is shot they don't want a now used battery walking back in for a refund.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why would they quote liquid on your MLB if you got it replaced? Something doesn't make sense with your story. What was your logic board issue after they replaced liquid damaged parts?

I'm not sure you read correctly. I had liquid damage repaired that did NOT include the mainboard. They told me the mainboard still works fine, only charged me some 400-odd dollars for the top case and some various small things. I didn't trust their diagnosis and made sure that they noted on the repair order/log/whatever that after the repair, my warranty is back in full force. When my mainboard eventually failed, they cited water damage likely because there was still visible dried water (I had pretty hard water), and I cited our warranty agreement, so the mainboard was replaced for free.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Presumably they're putting a new part in your computer that they can't exactly pass along to the next person as "new" without at least putting it back into the refurbishment pipeline.

It's the same reason why car shops often have a very clear no returns policy on batteries. Alternator problems are frequently mistaken for battery problems, and if the new battery doesn't keep your car running because the alternator is shot they don't want a now used battery walking back in for a refund.

They are supposed to test the alternator before selling you a new battery, that's part of the diagnostics. If you buy a new battery without any diagnostics, that's on YOU. Apple is supposed to try a known-good part in the known-bad machine, or try the possibly-bad part in a known-good testbench. That is part of the diagnostics, which Apple chooses not to charge for.

"Investigative repair" should never be a thing. There is no reason I should have to pay for a new part that I didn't need. The SECOND laptop I water damaged, not the first one above, I took it to an AASP and they charged me $90 and told me exactly which parts still worked. Because they tried them all in a testbench. I was happy to pay 90 CAD for accurate diagnostics. I would not be happy paying $140 for parts for an investigative repair.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 25, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, part swapping bullshit like this is low-rent and useless. The responsibility for detecting the actual problem is what you pay for under the "labor" line and the diagnostic charge. The car shops that have these policies are selling batteries to Joe Shadetree who's doing his own work. If I go to a full-service shop and they tell me it's a bad battery, I pay for one, and then it turns out it's the alternator? I'm not just going to throw more money at them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pivo posted:

Well that's not very consumer-friendly and has got to be against the law in some jurisdictions and hasn't been my experience. What's stopping repair places from charging you for unnecessary repairs under the guise that it might fix it?

I see you've never taken a car to a mechanic.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I see you've never taken a car to a mechanic.

I have, actually, many times ... but to mechanics I trust. A few friends of mine growing up were mechanics themselves (one works for Porsche now), so I could always run a "this is bullshit, right guys?" type question by them at any time.

I don't doubt that they push needless things on unsuspecting customers, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AlternateAccount posted:

No, part swapping bullshit like this is low-rent and useless. The responsibility for detecting the actual problem is what you pay for under the "labor" line and the diagnostic charge. The car shops that have these policies are selling batteries to Joe Shadetree who's doing his own work. If I go to a full-service shop and they tell me it's a bad battery, I pay for one, and then it turns out it's the alternator? I'm not just going to throw more money at them.

You're also not going to be able to leave without paying for that battery replacement, though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had the experience of Apple replacing a screen but not telling you they did? My 2013 rMBP came back from having the motherboard replaced and my single stuck pixel has vanished. The lid is also now scratch free.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

Has anyone had the experience of Apple replacing a screen but not telling you they did? My 2013 rMBP came back from having the motherboard replaced and my single stuck pixel has vanished. The lid is also now scratch free.

AFAIK they have to take the whole machine apart to replace the mother board so they probably just threw a new screen on out of courtesy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Is it worth getting Apple Care for my MBP? I have until July 1st to decide, but I dunno if $349 is worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok this might be a stupid question:

If I connect two MacBooks VIA Ethernet, what's the limiting factor in transfer speeds? The macs themselves?
I'm running a CAT5 cable from my MBP2012 to the Ethernet of my Thunderbolt Display that's connected to my rMBP2013

Will I benefit from buying a cat6 cable?
I do a lot of transferring between the devices. I used to do this via wifi but just the other day decided to try using an Ethernet cable I had lying around.

Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Egbert Souse posted:

Is it worth getting Apple Care for my MBP? I have until July 1st to decide, but I dunno if $349 is worth it.

Buy it from B&H Photo and Video for $299 if it's a 15-inch MBP instead. It's only $229 for a MacBook or 13" rMBP from them.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 25, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Smashing Link posted:

Is the screen listed on the repair invoice? It'd be extremely strange for them to replace the screen and not list it, since that would mean as far as Apple is concerned the part just went missing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If I connect two MacBooks VIA Ethernet, what's the limiting factor in transfer speeds? The macs themselves?
Assuming you have fast drives in each of them and are transfering large files you should see about 110Mb/s. Gig ethernet hits a limit there.

Will I benefit from buying a cat6 cable?
Probably not. Most Macs can do gig on Cat5, so if you're not seeing gigabit speeds you might have a lovely cable.

I do a lot of transferring between the devices. I used to do this via wifi but just the other day decided to try using an Ethernet cable I had lying around.
It'll be way, way faster than using wifi

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

It depends. Can you afford to repair or replace the computer easily?

Apple Care is a bet. You're betting that the computer will break within the 3 year window and Apple is betting that it won't. Apple always wins in the grand scheme of things since they have a pretty good idea how reliable their machines are. You may win regardless since SOMEONE has to have a bad apple (hurr).

I got it on my crazy 2016 rMBP because it's worth almost as much as my car or any other item I own and I probably couldn't afford to replace it easily. I didn't get it on my MBA because it cost 1/3 as much.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Is the screen listed on the repair invoice? It'd be extremely strange for them to replace the screen and not list it, since that would mean as far as Apple is concerned the part just went missing.

It is not listed. Possible that the stuck pixel was remedied by the motherboard replacement?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Smashing Link posted:

It is not listed. Possible that the stuck pixel was remedied by the motherboard replacement?

Not possible.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

I'm not sure you read correctly. I had liquid damage repaired that did NOT include the mainboard. They told me the mainboard still works fine, only charged me some 400-odd dollars for the top case and some various small things. I didn't trust their diagnosis and made sure that they noted on the repair order/log/whatever that after the repair, my warranty is back in full force. When my mainboard eventually failed, they cited water damage likely because there was still visible dried water (I had pretty hard water), and I cited our warranty agreement, so the mainboard was replaced for free.

I'm honestly surprised someone would put that into writing to be honest and I'd say you lucked out or the staff at that store aren't very competent. They shouldn't be deciding legally binding warranty extensions without legal's input, whom would typically require more stringent examination than what they likely provided.

From an engineering standpoint, damage could most certainly have occurred and not be readily apparent or take some time to propagate, so yeah, you lucked out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

My work MBP from early 2013(?) decided on Monday that my hard drive no longer had valid data. It would boot into the desktop but if I tried to load anything it would crash. Trying to open finder caused a repeated dialog box to popup.

I think I spent about 1.5 hours with the IT tech. The disk would mount but wouldn't show up as mounted. Doing Disk Util repair did nothing. Running Disk Warrior also failed to even get a read... But apparently I could boot into the desktop...

Probably the weirdest problem I'm ever seen with a MBP (Not that I've seen _that_ much). Really weird since later on the IT Tech told me they were able to reformat it and see it boot/mount just fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Assuming you have fast drives in each of them and are transfering large files you should see about 110Mb/s. Gig ethernet hits a limit there.

Probably not. Most Macs can do gig on Cat5, so if you're not seeing gigabit speeds you might have a lovely cable.

It'll be way, way faster than using wifi

Great, thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Strong Sauce posted:

My work MBP from early 2013(?) decided on Monday that my hard drive no longer had valid data. It would boot into the desktop but if I tried to load anything it would crash. Trying to open finder caused a repeated dialog box to popup.

I think I spent about 1.5 hours with the IT tech. The disk would mount but wouldn't show up as mounted. Doing Disk Util repair did nothing. Running Disk Warrior also failed to even get a read... But apparently I could boot into the desktop...

Probably the weirdest problem I'm ever seen with a MBP (Not that I've seen _that_ much). Really weird since later on the IT Tech told me they were able to reformat it and see it boot/mount just fine.

SATA cable is probably bad

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

I asked about that in reference to a battery change on my 2013 rMBP. The genius told me that it's $199 due to the fact that they have to take the entire top off and you get an entire new, unscathed top and I'm guessing, that means a new screen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

I asked about that in reference to a battery change on my 2013 rMBP. The genius told me that it's $199 due to the fact that they have to take the entire top off and you get an entire new, unscathed top and I'm guessing, that means a new screen.

That would be the top case, not the clamshell.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EconOutlines posted:

That's the Top Case assembly; basically with this you get a new battery, (glued to the bottom of the top case) keyboard, trackpad, and a new internal microphone. If you stained your old top case orange with your disgusting Cheetos habit this will net you a shiny clean new top to filth up.

The screen is a separate part that'll cost you $500 to replace unless it qualifies for the display replacement program..

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-program/

The program ends in October of this year so if you have this issue, run to the Fruit Stand and demand your free non-lovely Retina display replacement.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 27, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TACD posted:

I dropped off my 27" iMac with an i5 and 6GB RAM with a bad screen and got an i7 with 8GB and a new screen. Didn't realize it for a while, but it definitely wasnt on the invoice.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Regarding the chat from earlier about being charged for repairs, if you bring a computer in for diagnostics or an attempted repair and it ends up being something else, you only get charged if you want to do the repair. You won't get charged if you decline the repair options, they'll just put the computer back together and send you on your way. So I don't know what the other guy was talking about but, no, they haven't changed that policy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Nintendo Switch has 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM.

A game console ITYOOL 2017 has more modern RAM than any MacBook Pro currently sold by Apple.

:sigh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Apple Watch had a better game library than the Nintendo switch

Don't @ me

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

If it was a depot repair, they'll do a full diagnostic and usually just fix anything they see wrong with it. I had my 2011 15" MBP sent in for the GPU issue, and in addition to the new logic board it came back with a new bottom case, optical drive, and optical drive cable. The case was missing a couple feet, but the latter two I didn't even know were bad. And all at no cost.

Check the paperwork it came back with, it should list any parts they replaced. And there should be a 90 day warranty on anything they touched.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

The Nintendo Switch has 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM.

A game console ITYOOL 2017 has more modern RAM than any MacBook Pro currently sold by Apple.

:sigh:

DDR4 vs 3 is honestly not a big deal. The touch bar models run their ddr3 at 2133 and that's as good as ddr4 at 2133 would be. Yes ddr4 goes faster but desktop computing doesn't tend to be bottlenecked by memory throughput so you aren't losing much by not having ddr4-2400 or whatever.

Graphics is another story, it loves bandwidth, but if you want fast graphics you (still, sigh at Intel) want the discrete gpu in a 15".

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but confirmation before I spend money would be nice.

I have been using a mid-2011 27" iMac (i7, upgraded ram, 6970m) and just got hit by the video card problem. I had no idea there was a full on replacement program and wasn't informed despite having AppleCare after I got it refurb in 2012 and bringing it in for a hard drive replacement while the program was active.

It's really hosed now, doesn't stay alive for more than a few minutes before it blanks to a white screen or full height vertical black bars, followed quickly by a reboot. Hardware diag caught a "4VDC/1/40000003 VideoController" fault in non-extended test mode with nothing plugged in.

With an ssd and a working video card it'd still do what I need, is it worth trying to repair either through apple, a third party, or DIY?

It's had a good run and I understand that it's ancient, but I'd love to not have to make an emergency purchase of some kind of full replacement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

trinary posted:

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but confirmation before I spend money would be nice.

I have been using a mid-2011 27" iMac (i7, upgraded ram, 6970m) and just got hit by the video card problem. I had no idea there was a full on replacement program and wasn't informed despite having AppleCare after I got it refurb in 2012 and bringing it in for a hard drive replacement while the program was active.

It's really hosed now, doesn't stay alive for more than a few minutes before it blanks to a white screen or full height vertical black bars, followed quickly by a reboot. Hardware diag caught a "4VDC/1/40000003 VideoController" fault in non-extended test mode with nothing plugged in.

With an ssd and a working video card it'd still do what I need, is it worth trying to repair either through apple, a third party, or DIY?

It's had a good run and I understand that it's ancient, but I'd love to not have to make an emergency purchase of some kind of full replacement.

It's what, $400-600 to get that fixed?

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

It's what, $400-600 to get that fixed?

Not sure, had some trouble finding prices. Doesn't really seem worth it, ~$500 can get me a lot more elsewhere, probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trinary posted:

Not sure, had some trouble finding prices. Doesn't really seem worth it, ~$500 can get me a lot more elsewhere, probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade for real.

I'd ask at a fruit stand first. It's really lovely that there was a replacement program and they didn't replace it when you brought it in during the program's duration. They should have fixed it then.