Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, thanks. If anyone sees a dummy with a keyboard sticking out of a shopping bag later today, honk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are the old mid-2012 Magsafe chargers known for dying really quickly or something? My current one just started refusing to work unless I bend it around a bunch or something, and this is like the second or third time I've had to replace a charger because of this exact problem. They barely last a year and a half.

I might just have to get a new laptop soon. This one's pretty old. :sigh:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pollyanna posted:

Are the old mid-2012 Magsafe chargers known for dying really quickly or something? My current one just started refusing to work unless I bend it around a bunch or something, and this is like the second or third time I've had to replace a charger because of this exact problem. They barely last a year and a half.

I might just have to get a new laptop soon. This one's pretty old. :sigh:

Still using my original one with no issues.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Luceo posted:

Still using my original one with no issues.

Hmm. Strange. I blame my cat - he has a habit of chewing on it :v: I still can't tell if it's the charger or the laptop that's wigging out here, but I'm willing to bet it's the charger. I'll have to buy a new one.

edit: Reading the reviews, people have pretty negative experiences with these chargers. Check it out: https://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter-for-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro

It's pretty clear that they changed the design/build quality at some point, and the newer ones are shittier. I'll just have to save up for a newer, refurbished laptop unless the non-OEM chargers are any good. Are they?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 20, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

unless the non-OEM chargers are any good. Are they?
No.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pollyanna posted:

I'll just have to save up for a newer, refurbished laptop unless the non-OEM chargers are any good. Are they?

They do cool things like spark and get hot

http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfeit-macbook-charger-teardown.html

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Didn't think so. gently caress that poo poo, then.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Almost all the reviews for things like chargers are going to be people who are mad that they broke theirs and have to replace it, because almost nobody else buys a laptop charger. The reviews for Mac laptop chargers have therefore been terrible for as long as the website has had user reviews.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had my Magsafe charger for 5 years now and it's still going strong.

I also don't have a cat

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Linguica posted:

I already love viewing a 4K youtube video in Chrome and having my 2015 MBP fan spin up from decoding VP9 and I am excited for it to start happening more and more often.

Chrome is poo poo on Mac

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Chrome is poo poo on Mac

You can't watch youtube videos in 4K on Safari, though: https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/12/youtube%E2%80%A4com-no-longer-supports-4k-video-playback-in-safari/

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I had to replace the MagSafe charger that came with my late 2013 Macbook Pro just recently after the cable frayed and broke off at the edge, which is okay with me because I live in a house with 3 dogs and a cat. Plus I'm not gentle with my electronics, so it's totally my fault. Only $50 to replace it at the Apple Store wasn't bad.

I'm going to miss MagSafe so much when I switch to a new Macbook. While it's a very good idea to use standardized USB-C for charging, losing MagSafe is the worst. :(

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, I'm pretty disappointed by

I just found out last week that my 2015 13" rMBP can't play 4K youtube without dropping frames, and now it's also missing out on hardware acceleration for Apple's new preferred video / image format. Great.

intel only added support for HEVC in skylake so i'd hesitate to blame apple in this regard. same with 4k youtube; hardware support for the vp9 codec that goog uses to penny pinch bandwidth costs was only added in skylake. it killing your battery and turning your computer, as with all pre-skylake laptops, into a stuttery mess is why safari doesn't support vp9 or 4k youtube.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Generic Monk posted:

intel only added support for HEVC in skylake so i'd hesitate to blame apple in this regard. same with 4k youtube; hardware support for the vp9 codec that goog uses to penny pinch bandwidth costs was only added in skylake. it killing your battery and turning your computer, as with all pre-skylake laptops, into a stuttery mess is why safari doesn't support vp9 or 4k youtube.

No, I'll still blame Apple: if they'd get their head out of their rear end and make amends with nVidia, then they could be using Maxwell- and Pascal- based GPUs with full hardware acceleration for VP9. I think part of the bigger issue is that VP9 was developed by Google and we know how the Apple-Google relationship goes...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SourKraut posted:

No, I'll still blame Apple: if they'd get their head out of their rear end and make amends with nVidia, then they could be using Maxwell- and Pascal- based GPUs with full hardware acceleration for VP9. I think part of the bigger issue is that VP9 was developed by Google and we know how the Apple-Google relationship goes...

I agree with this sentiment. Pascal GPUs have absolutely insane performance per watt, and they could be putting in very low power usage, high performance GPUs into MBPs.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

I agree with this sentiment. Pascal GPUs have absolutely insane performance per watt, and they could be putting in very low power usage, high performance GPUs into MBPs.
So what's keeping them?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you have to wiggle your magsafe charger around to get a connection it's probably because the contacts are dirty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cowofwar posted:

If you have to wiggle your magsafe charger around to get a connection it's probably because the contacts are dirty.

I've only done this after wiggling it slightly along the cord further down the road caused my MBP to completely shut off. It's weird as hell and makes me a bit afraid that it might blow up or something.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cingulate posted:

So what's keeping them?

Apple had trouble with broken Nvidia GPU solder joints a while ago, many suspect that it's sour grapes because of Nvidia not covering the repair costs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

Apple had trouble with broken Nvidia GPU solder joints a while ago, many suspect that it's sour grapes because of Nvidia not covering the repair costs.

AMD paid for the 2011 MacBook Pro failures?

They went back to NVIDIA in 2012-14 and then back to AMD in 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Have they come out with any super low power chips? Best I could find was that nVidia targets under 100w for mobile and some random guy on Reddit saying the 1060 mobile was 60w. Meanwhile I think the AMD mobile parts target 35w.

...otherwise I’d guess they just go with whoever provides them the best deal while meeting whatever minimum requirements.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

They have the GT 1030 now which runs at 30w but I don't think that's really a "mobile" part.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 20, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I will not buy any more non-Retina MacBooks.

I mean it this time

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Have they come out with any super low power chips? Best I could find was that nVidia targets under 100w for mobile and some random guy on Reddit saying the 1060 mobile was 60w. Meanwhile I think the AMD mobile parts target 35w.

...otherwise I’d guess they just go with whoever provides them the best deal while meeting whatever minimum requirements.

"Super low power"? No. But they did come out with Max-Q at Computex, which is essentially a combination of new thermal management methodologies/design approaches, and specific binning of chips to hit a certain target power threshold. The initial "release" of Max-Q was focused on utilizing desktop chipset1080, 1070, and 1060, but there's no reason they couldn't push lower also, and there definitely would have been opportunity for nVidia and Apple to tailor Max-Q for the rMBPs.

Ultimately neither company needs the other, but with how bad AMD's GPU offerings have been lately, it's definitely a worse situation for Apple than it is nVidia. But again, Apple doesn't care so meh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
As I understand it the top GPU in the new iMac is basically a slightly underclocked RX580, which... actually seems reasonable? I mean you could run just about any game on ultra with an RX580, if you set the resolution to 1080p. Many games probably even 1440p. I mean let's face it even if apple had stuck a 1080ti in there you weren't going to be playing games at 5k. I've been keen to switch to a Mac for a long time, and this is the first time it's ever seemed like it could be a reasonable option that would still allow me to play video games (even if I needed to play some of them in windows).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

As I understand it the top GPU in the new iMac is basically a slightly underclocked RX580, which... actually seems reasonable? I mean you could run just about any game on ultra with an RX580, if you set the resolution to 1080p. Many games probably even 1440p. I mean let's face it even if apple had stuck a 1080ti in there you weren't going to be playing games at 5k. I've been keen to switch to a Mac for a long time, and this is the first time it's ever seemed like it could be a reasonable option that would still allow me to play video games (even if I needed to play some of them in windows).

You would still be dealing with outdated OpenGL or infant Metal support amongst games. Desktop GPUs have been supported in OS X for years in classic Mac Pros courtesy of nVidia's unofficial support and performance is still mediocre at best.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

SourKraut posted:

You would still be dealing with outdated OpenGL or infant Metal support amongst games. Desktop GPUs have been supported in OS X for years in classic Mac Pros courtesy of nVidia's unofficial support and performance is still mediocre at best.

If that's the point we're at why do any of y'all care what the GPU is in these things

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have no idea. Boot Camp is a pain in the rear end. Just build a separate PC.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SourKraut posted:

I'm happy to boot into windows when needed to play a game. I don't have the space for a seperate PC.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MrBond posted:

If that's the point we're at why do any of y'all care what the GPU is in these things

Macs are for working :goonsay: and some of us use rendering applications that need the bare minimum of a gpu. I put the dpgu in my Mac for CAD and that's about it. And then there's the .001% that use some sort of high tech rendering that needs or they think needs more gpu power than whatever is the base.. that's where that rx580 comes in.

Use a Mac gpu to scratch a kerbal space program itch once in a while at low res. Otherwise get a ps4 or desktop pc. As said before Mac bootcamp gaming is not preferable and you'll be dealing with things like drivers being out of date for months while Apple gets around to it. I can't just go onto amd.com and download the latest update to my mx370, I have to use bootcamp updater

Edit: I should phrase that as somewhat large percentage of buyers who think they need a powerful gpu for work applications and the .001% who actually need it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 21, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Chrome is poo poo on Mac

I don't get why people say this..

I got my first real Mac in 2014, but had been using OSX for some time before that with Hackintoshes.

I've never had any issues with Chrome on OSX, stability or performance wise. I did try Safari for a little while because it was supposed to offer much better battery life supposedly, but Safari is so limiting compared to Chrome.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
never felt limited in any way with safari & also it works really good with keychain

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You literally get hours less battery life using chrome compare to safari.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

never felt limited in any way with safari & also it works really good with keychain

Depends on how you use it. I use multiple different devices across different platforms. Chrome is the only one that operates the same across all of them and also syncs all of my data (saved passwords, bookmarks, settings, etc..).

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

stevewm posted:

Depends on how you use it. I use multiple different devices across different platforms. Chrome is the only one that operates the same across all of them and also syncs all of my data (saved passwords, bookmarks, settings, etc..).

i suppose chrome does fit the cross-platform use case quite well

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chrome is fine, Safari is just awesome

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You literally get hours less battery life using chrome compare to safari.

Guess I have low expectations...

Get between 5-7 hours on a 3 year old rMBP with 90% battery health, depending on type of browsing, which I consider more than adequate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If you have a dgpu, chrome turns it on, very annoying

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ethanol posted:

Macs are for working :goonsay: and some of us use rendering applications that need the bare minimum of a gpu. I put the dpgu in my Mac for CAD and that's about it. And then there's the .001% that use some sort of high tech rendering that needs or they think needs more gpu power than whatever is the base.. that's where that rx580 comes in.

Use a Mac gpu to scratch a kerbal space program itch once in a while at low res. Otherwise get a ps4 or desktop pc. As said before Mac bootcamp gaming is not preferable and you'll be dealing with things like drivers being out of date for months while Apple gets around to it. I can't just go onto amd.com and download the latest update to my mx370, I have to use bootcamp updater

Edit: I should phrase that as somewhat large percentage of buyers who think they need a powerful gpu for work applications and the .001% who actually need it

This makes sense to me, and AFAICT an RX580 ought to be perfectly sufficient for this on a mac. It's the people complaining about how the Mac drivers are bad for gaming or some such nonsense that I'm not really on board with. For better or worse iOS and tvOS are the apple gaming platforms.

yeah slow boot camp drivers are another case where I think Macs make subpar gaming PCs unfortunately :( How often does apple update the drivers in boot camp after the first release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple pretty much only updates Boot Camp on the release of newer models of laptop/desktop that use different iGPUs/dGPUs that need updated drivers.