Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

How adequate are the built in speakers on a 27" iMac? Are they at least as good as what you'd get built into a quality tv?

I bought a 27" Retina iMac and I'm thrilled with it. The sound is surprisingly good considering the size of the speakers. I originally wanted a MacBook Pro, but quickly realized that I could buy a really good case for the iMac (yes, you can get these) for the few times I needed to write remotely. Having a full size screen to write and have all my stuff open is fantastic. My comparison, my old 2008 vintage LED Cinema Display looks ridiculously low resolution after working on a Retina 5K.

Anyway, the speakers sound great. Go buy an iMac. You'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I bought a 27" Retina iMac and I'm thrilled with it. The sound is surprisingly good considering the size of the speakers. I originally wanted a MacBook Pro, but quickly realized that I could buy a really good case for the iMac (yes, you can get these) for the few times I needed to write remotely. Having a full size screen to write and have all my stuff open is fantastic. My comparison, my old 2008 vintage LED Cinema Display looks ridiculously low resolution after working on a Retina 5K.

I probably won't be buying anything till this time next year. I had this thought of just using an Imac and a nice pair of headphones, and ditching the big bookshelf speakers and associated paraphernalia I've been using up till now. It would be lovely to have a nice clean uncluttered desk (that I can actually dust without having to move poo poo around, and ditching the rat warren of cabling behind my desk.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

...are you Panera Bread iMac Man?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey guys here's some interesting old news a dude wrote a script to jailbreak the airport routers and enable ssh root, enjoy http://www.theairportwiki.com

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Having built a solid gaming PC in January, and having a Macbook Air to do on-the-go stuff, my mid-2010 27" i7 iMac has been relegated to "A VERY NICE DISPLAY WITH PRETTY NICE SPEAKERS" status.

This was fine for six months, but now that summer's hit, it's become super apparent that even at idle, this thing is running way loving hot:

On my gaming PC, with my GPU pegged at 100% for buttcoin mining, it's running at 68c so I imagine something is totally hosed here

I've tried shooting some compressed air into the vent slot at the top but that doesn't seem to help much.

1. That definitely seems way hotter than it should be running just chilling on the desktop not running any apps, right?

2. Given that this machine is 7 years old and I've got a four cats, most likely just tons of dust all wedged inside, yeah?
if so,
3. I should go buy some heavy duty suction cups and pop the screen off and give it a real good blowing, then?

Any other likely culprits for why it's running so hot other than dust?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
iMacs collect so much dust. When I repaired a friend's I thought they had put a fuzzy sticker on the back. No, that was just the circular air vent.

4 cats and 7 years? Whew...

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Is your mother paying for your electric bill because your crypto mad gain$ aren't going to cover it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Is your mother paying for your electric bill because your crypto mad gain$ aren't going to cover it.

Ran the math, I'm above break even, so I figure i may as well abuse it until my gpu shits the bed.

Krispy Kareem posted:

iMacs collect so much dust. When I repaired a friend's I thought they had put a fuzzy sticker on the back. No, that was just the circular air vent.

4 cats and 7 years? Whew...

It was only one cat for the first 5 years at least...

And I totally forgot about the bottom vent. Gonna try to blow that out when I get home from work.

But really if I want to make any appreciable difference I'm gonna have to pop it open, yeah?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

How adequate are the built in speakers on a 27" iMac? Are they at least as good as what you'd get built into a quality tv?

I suppose everybody is going to have a different opinion on what is adequate, but I just unplugged my Logitech Z2300s to give the internal speakers a listen and they are pretty OK. They seem quite loud, even at half volume. They are probably better than TV speakers.

This is on the 2017 27" iMac.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Ran the math, I'm above break even, so I figure i may as well abuse it until my gpu shits the bed.

It was only one cat for the first 5 years at least...

And I totally forgot about the bottom vent. Gonna try to blow that out when I get home from work.

But really if I want to make any appreciable difference I'm gonna have to pop it open, yeah?

Yeah.

I don't know what it is about iMacs, but they collect lots of dust. Blowing out that back vent may solve your issue, but odds are you will need to access the motherboard. Fortunately its a 15 minute job if you have a suction cup, latex gloves, and a can of air.

The glass front is remarkably strong (I accidentally sat on one), but you'll go bonkers if you get fingerprints on the inside.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speakers sound fine on my 27" iMac.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

LOL, no. I can afford an Internet connection at home.

I am writing my dissertation, so run my stats by remote access, and run the rest locally. My travels with the iMac is to a relative's vacation place. No Starbucks (or Panera Bread) for me!

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 28, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sockser posted:

This was fine for six months, but now that summer's hit, it's become super apparent that even at idle, this thing is running way loving hot:

Nah.

quote:

On my gaming PC, with my GPU pegged at 100% for buttcoin mining

Lol buttcoiner and no you aren't making more than the cost of the power, not if you're mining bitcoin competing with asics

Back to "nah": your laptop is not a mining rig or a desktop GPU. Its thermal management system has some different behaviors.

Apple has had a big hate on for fan noise since the Return of Jobs, because Steve hated fans. They will allow laptop CPUs to hit their Intel-specified operating limit of somewhere between 90C to 100C before seriously cranking the fans up, and even then they will only spin them fast enough to hold temps under the chip's rated limit.

Things that are real warning signs: if light load sends temps straight to 100C, the fans sound like jetliners all the time, and the system seems sluggish or otherwise isn't performing up to spec. (The last being a sign that Intel's thermal throttling feature is kicking in to keep temps below 100.)

Like, go ahead and clean the fans out, just be aware that in laptops a CPU running at 60C is not automatically a :supaburn: situation you MUST DEAL WITH RIGHT NOW OMG.

E: oh wait I guess you were talking about an iMac? Still not that worrisome imo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Nah.

Lol buttcoiner and no you aren't making more than the cost of the power, not if you're mining bitcoin competing with asics

Back to "nah": your laptop is not a mining rig or a desktop GPU. Its thermal management system has some different behaviors.

Apple has had a big hate on for fan noise since the Return of Jobs, because Steve hated fans. They will allow laptop CPUs to hit their Intel-specified operating limit of somewhere between 90C to 100C before seriously cranking the fans up, and even then they will only spin them fast enough to hold temps under the chip's rated limit.

Things that are real warning signs: if light load sends temps straight to 100C, the fans sound like jetliners all the time, and the system seems sluggish or otherwise isn't performing up to spec. (The last being a sign that Intel's thermal throttling feature is kicking in to keep temps below 100.)

Like, go ahead and clean the fans out, just be aware that in laptops a CPU running at 60C is not automatically a :supaburn: situation you MUST DEAL WITH RIGHT NOW OMG.

E: oh wait I guess you were talking about an iMac? Still not that worrisome imo

I'm technically mining ether in a pool, not solo buttcoin mining, so it ain't so bad, I'm pulling like $5 a day

The bottom vent which I had either completely forgotten about or never realized existed was pretty grody, and giving it a couple blasts of air has dropped my idle temp down to a nice chill 44c, which means I no longer sustain first degree burns touching the top of the screen to turn it around and get to the usb ports, and that was really the cause for my concern over the temperature: the fact that it was literally hot to the touch.

Thanks, thread.

e: it totally was running all janky and slow but a total format cleared that right up. Lots of dumb crap accumulates when you install lots of dumb little hacky utilities for 6 years, I suppose.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is 8GB ram likely to be enough these days and the foreseeable future on OS X for web browsing, remote desktop and iTunes? It's still plenty for me on Windows 10 but I don't know about how OSX handles ram.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's plenty for that but if you want to do more than that like any productive stuff you're going to wish you had more. Also, use safari and not chrome or Firefox. They will both use more RAM than safari.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

KingEup posted:

Is 8GB ram likely to be enough these days and the foreseeable future on OS X for web browsing, remote desktop and iTunes? It's still plenty for me on Windows 10 but I don't know about how OSX handles ram.

everyone in this thread will say yes 8gb is fine
everyone in this thread is stupid
16gb is minimal imo
you will think "ok i dont use much" but then you load one Adobe application, you have Dropbox running & syncing, you have Steam maybe and Spotify and yeah your remote desktop is fine but you probably have a VPN app running and maybe TweetDeck because why not and then Todoist and VLC and Notes and suddenly you're paging and WHY ARE WE PAGING HONESTLY DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SPENT ON THIS LAPTOP and

yeah it's 2017 don't cheap out on RAM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
8gb sometimes gets a little tight. Especially when using Lightroom and Photoshop. If Safari takes a poo poo you'll feel it also.

I use a memory cleaning app and occasionally reboot. That's about the worst of it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I use a memory cleaning app

what

no

don't

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i'd say it depends on the actual person themselves and what kind of work they do. if the max poo poo they ever do ever is office for college then i doubt they're gonna have an issue but if they're an editor or something they never know when they'll need to cut something together

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pivo posted:

everyone in this thread will say yes 8gb is fine
everyone in this thread is stupid
16gb is minimal imo
you will think "ok i dont use much" but then you load one Adobe application, you have Dropbox running & syncing, you have Steam maybe and Spotify and yeah your remote desktop is fine but you probably have a VPN app running and maybe TweetDeck because why not and then Todoist and VLC and Notes and suddenly you're paging and WHY ARE WE PAGING HONESTLY DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SPENT ON THIS LAPTOP and

yeah it's 2017 don't cheap out on RAM

why would a human being be running VLC and spotify at the same time

i mean that's kind of an abnormally high workload for casual use. i have steam, skype, and discord in the background right now, as well as a pretty burly chrome window and i'm only using like 5/6 gb of ram

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've never bumped up against my 8 GB, but I'm the guy who religiously janitors my browser tabs and Cmd+Q's apps when I'm done using them for a few minutes because I'm a weirdo.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

landgrabber posted:

why would a human being be running VLC and spotify at the same time

listening to music while streaming your totally legal xxxx

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're buying new, you might as well spring for 16 GB. Still, 8 GB is fine if you're not doing VMs or "serious" work.

If anyone can produce data on the performance difference with 8 GB of RAM vs 16 when there's a smattering of different apps running and a bunch of switching between apps going on, I could be convinced of this a bit more. But I guess I have the sense at the moment that people are mostly looking at activity monitor and swooning if they see a scary looking value.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

8's fine for casual use. Anything will have an SSD these days so that helps a ton too

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

having a super fast ssd is no excuse for paging
hitting disk even if the disk is fast as gently caress is a lot slower than hitting RAM
you WILL outgrow 8gb i dont care what you think your usecase is, macos will easily eat up 8gb with just a few applications running
don't take my word for it, test it yourself

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why the hell is your mail.app using 4GB of RAM? Mine is using 124MB.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shut the gently caress up Pivo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Why the hell is your mail.app using 4GB of RAM? Mine is using 124MB.

honestly I'm not 100% sure but I think it's because I have an IMAP inbox that goes back to 2007 and also my work Exchange account that only goes back about a year yet has lots of nonsense but honestly Mail.app spins and dies sometimes for no reason, I've not really found a good alternative....

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Shut the gently caress up Pivo

love you too

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm a weird Hackintosh dual-booter who has had 8GB since I built this machine in 2013 specifically to run OSX, and I've never had any problems. I don't do audio-visual work, mostly just posting here and sometimes playing some videos and occasionally play Dota or one of it's clones.

I looked into whether or not I really need to buy another 8GB of DDR3 memory for a four year old machine before it gets replaced in a year or two, and the answer seemed to be 'no'. It certainly wouldn't have been cheap because supply on old memory has tightened up. If I was buying an actual Mac with no-poo poo-soldered-on memory, you bet your rear end I'd want more.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

anyhow if you look at 'real mem' it's clear it's only using around 300mb, it just allocated a stupid amount of vram

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you have an opportunity to get 16gb of RAM, by all means do it. You will marginally improve day-to-day operations and may future proof your machine if MacOS 10.16 somehow needs more RAM (it won't).

But it won't make a real difference unless you use Photoshop and Lightroom. If you do VM's then skip 2016 models altogether and get a 32gb 2017. If you see a great refurb deal with 8gb and don't do anything that'd require more than 8gb, get the deal.

Pivo posted:

what

no

don't

Clean that RAM. Janitor that MacBook. You know you want to. It needs you.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you do VM's then skip 2016 models altogether and get a 32gb 2017.
Oh man then how has anyone been running a VM until now? :rolleye:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh man then how has anyone been running a VM until now? :rolleye:

Poorly.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

No.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I skimped and only got 8GB on my iMac but it's a 27" so I can always pop more in later if I find I need more. I do the occasional video editing but I also did opt for the 8GB Radeon 580 so there's some more RAM hiding in there.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wait. Facebook messenger has an app for OS X?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I skimped on my 2015 MBP with the base model, 8GB of RAM. Bought it during my junior year of CS undergrad, it served me fine for typical internet & iTunes usage while simultaneously using a few IDEs (one at a time) and occasionally a Windows VM with 4GB given to it. That said, I should've just sprung for 16GB and would recommend anyone but the most casual of users to do the same. It was an oversight on my behalf because I subconsciously acknowledged that 8GB was fine in my 2011 gaming PC... but that was in 2011, whoops!

I hope to land some swanky software job this year that'll replace this laptop, if anything with a 15", but I won't be hurting if I have to continue using my own. Maybe just squinting a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Wait. Facebook messenger has an app for OS X?

There's a very good third party one, just google messenger for desktop