Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Do Thunderbolt cables still have the chips in them?
I remember when they announced TB3 they said there’d be passive cables that could do 20Gbps (i.e. TB2 speeds) and active cables for the full 40Gbps. No clue how that has played out in the marketplace in terms of availability and pricing though.

Entropy238 posted:

:aaaaa:

I had no idea that's what help did.
Yeah they added it way way back. I use it all the time for crap I can’t remember or just taking wild guesses at functionality, particularly in graphics apps where stuff can be god knows where sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Entropy238 posted:

:aaaaa:

I had no idea that's what help did.

Mind blown as well, just assumed it would search a help file (and be as good or bad as the help file was written, usually badly), not the actual menu bar entries!

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Mind blown as well, just assumed it would search a help file (and be as good or bad as the help file was written, usually badly), not the actual menu bar entries!

It gets better, if you're a keyboard fanatic: Command Shift / is a more or less universal shortcut to got straight to the help menu.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My main workstation (web and app dev) is currently a desktop hackintosh, and I want to pick up a backup Macbook for the following use cases:
* Continue working if Apple starts blocking submissions from hacks
* Continue working if said desktop develops hardware problems
* Continue working in the event of power failures

I don't want to spend too much since I don't plan to use it much provided the desktop continues working, but I can't go too old since I do need the ability to be productive with it.

Current plan is to get a 2012 13" MBP from eBay for ~£400 and add at least 8GiB RAM and an SSD. My main concern is the battery. Any tactics for increasing the likelihood of getting a unit with decent remaining capacity? Are third-party replacements safe (= won't explode) and effective (= provide useful runtime)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seven Round Things posted:

Current plan is to get a 2012 13" MBP from eBay for ~£400 and add at least 8GiB RAM and an SSD.

Good as this has at least near-modern USB 3.0 ports, FW800, and Thunderbolt, and can take industry standard 2.5" SATA SSDs..

quote:

My main concern is the battery. Any tactics for increasing the likelihood of getting a unit with decent remaining capacity?

Look to see if the seller mentions getting the battery replaced BY APPLE recently?

quote:

Are third-party replacements safe (= won't explode) and effective (= provide useful runtime)?

Only ones I'd trust:

http://www.newertech.com/batteries/ Long time Mac vendor.

Anker maybe as well, but there's talk that they don't last as long as Apples.

The rest will save you lots of money but will likely be the opposite of what you just stated.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I find using PS and Illustrator in Windows really hard because I rely so much on the help menu search function. It's totally a killer feature for me.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So my mid 2010 iMac has started freezing shortly after boot, even in safe mode. The mouse cursor will continue to work, but all apps freeze, including Finder, and it needs a hard reset before I can do anything again. This is happening continually, only a few minutes after booting.

I've reset the SMC and PRAM, what else can I do to try and fix this?

Edit: problem doesn't seem to be happening in Boot Camp, I guess this needs a repair or clean install?

If it really is dead, I guess I'd better start looking at a replacement. Ideally I'd be spending closer to £1000 than £1500. Mainly web browsing, some light photo editing and (old) games (Civ V and Kerbal Space Progran). Some light dev work too, but nothing too involved. I love the portability of the Macbook, but should I really be looking at a Pro? I'm not averse to buying used/refurbed, but I also have access to the education store for that discount.

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 8, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try removing RAM chips and see if the same behavior happens with different permutations of RAM. If you have a bootable system disk or flash drive see if the same thing happens with the alternate booted system.

To me, sounds like the logic board has gone bad but take it to a Fruit Stand for diagnosis if you can.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I would want something that is just a larger version of the Macbook, meaning ulv processors and no fan. If they made a 14" version it would be perfect for me. With thin bezels it could be the same size as the 13" Air.

I want this with a second c port on the other side. It's all it needs to be the best writing computer ever (assuming 12 hour battery life) say, $1500 and I'd buy it in the first ten minutes

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah something like that would probably be my dream computer, #donglelyfe aside.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Try removing RAM chips and see if the same behavior happens with different permutations of RAM.

Seconding this, it fits with Boot Camp'd Windows being fine. Bad RAM can appear to work OK in a different OS when one OS happens to consistently locate kernel code or data in failing memory locations while the other doesn't.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

[quote="“Pantsmaster Bill”" post="“477178159”"]
So my mid 2010 iMac has started freezing shortly after boot, even in safe mode. The mouse cursor will continue to work, but all apps freeze, including Finder, and it needs a hard reset before I can do anything again. This is happening continually, only a few minutes after booting.

I’ve reset the SMC and PRAM, what else can I do to try and fix this?

Edit: problem doesn’t seem to be happening in Boot Camp, I guess this needs a repair or clean install?

[/quote]

Used the hardware test utility, and looks like my hard drive is on its way out. My stuff is all backed up, but I might take this opportunity to sell/trade in while it's still mostly running and get something new.

How slow is the 2017 Macbook? I'm looking at that or the 13" Macbook Pro. I really like the portability of the Macbook, but I'm concerned it would be underpowered.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

GutBomb posted:

The 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina was the only model that had the battery glued to the top case (keyboard and trackpad) so they had to replace the entire top case assembly for battery replacements, and they ran out of them and don't manufacture them anymore. My guess is that since they promised basically perpetual availability for battery replacements that they have to do something, so this is what they are doing.

Sorry for quoting an old post but I picked up a 2012 15" MBP Retina awhile back and the battery is pooched and I was thinking of replacing it. Did you go in to replace it and they just offered you replacement MBP instead for the cost of the battery replacement? That sounds crazy.

I see the memo requiring this was only supposed to last until around mid-September, does anyone know if this is still a possibility?

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 10, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

How slow is the 2017 Macbook? I'm looking at that or the 13" Macbook Pro. I really like the portability of the Macbook, but I'm concerned it would be underpowered.

I have a 2016 which is a little slower, it's fast enough for day to day poo poo but if you're going to run a VM or something, it's painful. I keep a 15" Pro around for heavy lifting.

Le Saboteur posted:

Sorry for quoting an old post but I picked up a 2012 15" MBP Retina awhile back and the battery is pooched and I was thinking of replacing it. Did you go in to replace it and they just offered you replacement MBP instead for the cost of the battery replacement? That sounds crazy.

I see the memo requiring this was only supposed to last until around mid-September, does anyone know if this is still a possibility?

Internet ruined it. Everyone with one was going in to get a new laptop for the price of the battery replacement ($199)

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/26/apple-ends-macbook-pro-battery-exchanges/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

some goon said posted:

The 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina was the only model that had the battery glued to the top case (keyboard and trackpad)..

Hate to tell you this, but the battery has been glued to the Top Case Assembly on both the 13 and 15 inch rMBPs ever since, from Early 2013 onwards.

That's pretty much why you see almost no third party replacements past the 2012 models.

Bob Sanders
Jun 21, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Hate to tell you this, but the battery has been glued to the Top Case Assembly on both the 13 and 15 inch rMBPs ever since, from Early 2013 onwards.

That's pretty much why you see almost no third party replacements past the 2012 models.

iFixit has a guide and sells the batteries, but it's not an easy process. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/89197

I was starting to go down that rabbit hole, but I found out about the $199 replacement loophole so I never actually did it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
It might not be the best thread but I didn't find any specific to Apple mobile devices.

I just joined Team Apple for the first time ever by getting an iPhone 7 on the cheap from work. I like it well enough but I regret having to have iTunes just to copy files. I started by looking at alternatives but there seems to be many different software for this. Is there a goon-recommended one? I just want to copy files to and from my Windows PC to my iPhone without installing a software I don't need.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why are you copying files to your phone?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For me I get no cell signal when the train goes underground and I don't subscribe to any streaming service

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Boiled Water posted:

Why are you copying files to your phone?

Why not?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furism posted:

Why not?

You have so much to learn. You are basically fighting the entire way the system is designed. Like Apple just dropped a bunch of file transfers in iTunes last month because they’re not needed any more.

There’s an iPhone thread in Inspect Your Gadgets; they can help you with your truly Sisyphean task.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Furism posted:

It might not be the best thread but I didn't find any specific to Apple mobile devices.

I just joined Team Apple for the first time ever by getting an iPhone 7 on the cheap from work. I like it well enough but I regret having to have iTunes just to copy files. I started by looking at alternatives but there seems to be many different software for this. Is there a goon-recommended one? I just want to copy files to and from my Windows PC to my iPhone without installing a software I don't need.

Just use a cloud service.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

von Braun posted:

Just use a cloud service.

I have 100 GB of music I want to move over, and I have that nice USB cable right there. I thought it was Microsoft that was "Mobile First, Cloud First."

Anyway I asked in the other thread we'll see what people say.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

My money's on calling you a weird dinosaur and to embrace our lord and savior the cloud services (tm).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The happy medium is iTunes Match. Have your whole library synced, cache what you want, stream the rest.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
go over to the iTunes thread.

I personally have switched back and forth from iphone to droid and back but have always maintained my music library separately so it works with both as well as any music mgr app. It's easy to just point itunes at your library folder and turn off all their mgt crap and then create smart playlists restricted by size for your apple devices (for me it's ipod 110gb, ipad 35gb, iphone 12gb, etc) so you can sync just to those. Also use Google Music Manager to sync that library to the cloud and you can use Google Play music app on your iphone to stream when your signal is adequate.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Furism posted:

Goodreader can transfer files over wifi, but it requires leaving the app in the foreground while doing the file transfer (it creates a network drive). It can play audio files and it can use the share sheet to transfer video files to something like VLC on demand--just remember to delete the item from VLC or Goodreader after viewing, otherwise I'm pretty sure you'll have two copies of it on your device. The big caveat is that you will not be able to use the default TV(video)/Music apps, the only way to get files into those libraries atm is to use iTunes from a computer or purchasing from the iTunes Store.

I cannot speak to how well it plays audio files, you might want to use VLC or another music application to do that as well.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
He wants Google Music. Very simple.

Bob Sanders
Jun 21, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

He wants Google Music. Very simple.

This is the correct answer. You can upload 50,000 songs for free and then stream/download them in their app on the phone.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Matt Zerella posted:

The happy medium is iTunes Match. Have your whole library synced, cache what you want, stream the rest.

Is it still possible to legitimise over a decade of Napster/KaZaA/Morpheus/eMule abuse by syncing iTunes match?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Theophany posted:

Is it still possible to legitimise over a decade of Napster/KaZaA/Morpheus/eMule abuse by syncing iTunes match?

Apparently yes. It’ll even upgrade copies and so on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arivia posted:

Apparently yes. It’ll even upgrade copies and so on.

To expand on that. If the iTunes Store version is better quality, it will replace your version with that. No DRM. And as long as you pull your whole library down to your hard-drive you keep the better version if you cancel Match (however if you don't do that, when you quit Match the higher quality versions go away)

I know more than one person who has to used Match to "launder" old :filez: versions of songs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
After upgrading to high sierra, my 2016 MBP is having trouble reconnecting to bluetooth peripherals after sleeping. I've had to reconnect my mouse and keyboard twice now.

Is there a fix for this or what?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I had issues years ago with a 2.4ghz connection interfering with bluetooth, that's my suggestion to check but beyond that I have no idea.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m in the middle of nowhere and this has happened in different places each time so I don’t think it’s interference. I’ll go through some troubleshooting tomorrow.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I’m in the middle of nowhere and this has happened in different places each time so I don’t think it’s interference. I’ll go through some troubleshooting tomorrow.

There used to be a way to turn on logging, but I don't see it anymore (shift-option click the BT icon). It maybe that BT is logged by default.

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/os-x-bluetooth-menu-reset-devices

You can get the device MAC doing that, though. Maybe dig through the console log filtering on that?

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Furism posted:

I have 100 GB of music I want to move over, and I have that nice USB cable right there. I thought it was Microsoft that was "Mobile First, Cloud First."

Anyway I asked in the other thread we'll see what people say.

This https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jetaudio-music-player/id894888135?mt=8 might do what you want. It can transfer over USB through iTunes or over wifi through a browser based interface if you want (it might have FTP too, I don't remember). I've used it on iOS & Android a lot and came to prefer it. It can handle your music files as both directory trees & as tagged songs in playlists and can access your on-device iTunes music if you want as well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I know more than one person who has to used Match to "launder" old :filez: versions of songs.

Only thing I use Match for :c00l:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
edit: wrong thread, thought I was in MacOS

rufius fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apple did a really good job with the power saving on the MacBook. I can sit in a coffee shop for an hour just dinking around on the web wasting time and the battery goes down like 4%