Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thinking of the multi core render speeds for FCPX :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/19/tim-cook-mac-mini-important-product/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apple only has 3 people who can work on new products. The other 8,000 are making emojis and loving up the UI of iOS

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure they said the same thing about the Apple //gs right before they slit its throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXONcuozpvw

Tim should have said: "We like the Mini too, it's a loving cash cow we keep making money off of, but we don't want to say anything about a new model or it'll make sales tank like iPhone 8 orders."

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ArcticZombie posted:

About month ago my friend's 2012 mbp started having some issues. The screen started acting up, some loose connection somewhere that means she has to push the left side in a specific way to get the display to show anything other than garbage, but she put up with this. Then it did the ole triple beep on boot, signifying bad ram and shortly after it stopped booting completely, couldn't read the hard drive.

She took it to the Apple store, they diagnosed the bad ram, harddrive and said they screen would need replacing. She bought a new harddrive for them to install (really wish she'd spoke to me first so I could swing her on an SSD instead) and they fixed it up. She decided the screen wasn't worth it ($$$).

She complains to me it's super slow since she got it back, I take a look at they literally just removed the bad RAM stick, didn't sort out a replacement or anything, leaving her with 2GB of RAM :wtf:. I upgraded her to 8GB, it's been fine for a month.

It's doing the triple beep on boot again. The RAM is less than a month old, is there something else happening here?

Five bucks it was diagnosed wrong and it is actually the top case being warped, and it shorting the board. That would cause the triple beep, and sometimes you can band aid fix it by changing ram or reseating it, but if it’s happening again that’s what it is.

It’ll be top case/MLB replacement. Basically buy a new one.

This happened by her lifting it on the left side. An easy way of telling is by lifting it on the left to see what happens, which you did initially. Weight doesn’t distribute properly and that’s why they suggested using both hands to lift it, cuz over time it shorts the board. Also why new hard drive cables have foam pads on them cuz they loving failed from stress all the time.

E: surprised they didn’t know this. It’s such a common thing with 2012 MBP where basically the first troubleshooting step is to lift from left side.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tim cook: apple is announcing that the mac mini line will merge into our line of ipads! Introducing: Mac Mini iPad! It runs iOS, doesn't have a screen, and only one lightning port with a usb-c dongle. $599 for base model, $799 for a version with 2 ports.

they care so much about the mac mini they let it lay fallow for 3 years. and unless you needed it do output 4k, those 2014 versions were slower and less useful than their 2012 counterparts

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can already get cheap Intel NUCs for like $300. Apple could just get one of those and slap a white plastic case on top of it for double the price.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've been anticipating a Mac Mini in an Apple TV form factor for like 3 years now and look like an rear end every time they don't update it.

My dream would be a merger of the Mini / Pro lines but that'd never happen. A base Mac being able to be upjumped to Pro specs over time would be the best thing ever.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What’s the recommend router to buy these days? Seems like Apple’s stuff is dead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

What’s the recommend router to buy these days? Seems like Apple’s stuff is dead.

I really like my Ubiquitous Edgerouter X combined with one of their PoE powered AP's. It can be buggy to set up, but it's otherwise rock solid, has great range, and I've never seen better tech support (needed because they can be buggy).

Costs a bit more. I think router + AP worked out to about $150.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

Just get a tp-link archer c7.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Krispy Wafer posted:

I really like my Ubiquitous Edgerouter X combined with one of their PoE powered AP's. It can be buggy to set up, but it's otherwise rock solid, has great range, and I've never seen better tech support (needed because they can be buggy).

Costs a bit more. I think router + AP worked out to about $150.

It’s good stuff and I love mine, but it’s not aimed at home users. I suspect “learning curve” is what you’re mistaking for “buggieness.”

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eddiewalker posted:

It’s good stuff and I love mine, but it’s not aimed at home users. I suspect “learning curve” is what you’re mistaking for “buggieness.”

Eh, I love Ubiquiti stuff but there are definitely some wrinkles that need to be ironed out. Like how some poo poo just refuses to adopt into the controller software.

But for Home and small to medium sized biz it's pretty great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I can't wait for my Time Capsule to die because I've been waiting to start my project of: ER-X and AP Lite from Ubiquiti and a proper NAS with media server/4K transcoding/Time Machine.

Unfortunately it keeps on working and working well, and there's no harm in using my desktop as a media server in the meantime. No new toys for me ... yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dexter6 posted:

Depends on your needs. I know plenty of people use mictotik as an edge router. Personally I use a NetSense (pfSense box), but I'm looking at moving toward a Fortigate. My use case is a little more complicated since I have a lab environment at home.

I also have multiple APs, but my AirPort Extreme (802.11ac) is the only one with the radios turned on. The rest are all enteprise gear and live in my lab with the radios off. If Apple doesn't releases a firmware fix for KRACK, I'll probably move one of the lab APs to start doing my home wireless.

Now, if you're talking about combo AP/Routers, the AirPort Extreme is still a serviceable device. If Apple doesn't address KRACK by releasing a hotfix or firmware update by next week, it might not be a bad idea to look around. ASUS makes some good AP/Router combo devices. I bought my brother one for Christmas last year and he's had no complaints.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

... ASUS makes some good AP/Router combo devices. I bought my brother one for Christmas last year and he's had no complaints.

Seconding this. I've had an older RT-AC66U for 3 years now on my Gigabit fiber connection.. It has no problems actually getting full Gigabit speeds (well, 975Mbps, as it seems that is all my ISP can actually deliver). And I can do 40-60MB/sec over WiFi to/from my Macbook and my wired file server no problem. I am happy with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Want to drive two 4K displays at once from a single Thunderbolt 3 port?

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt3-to-dual-hdmi-adapter.html

Now on sale for about $90 on Amazon.

Needs a Thunderbolt 3 capable Mac and at least OS X 10.12.6 Sierra.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Pivo posted:

I can't wait for my Time Capsule to die because I've been waiting to start my project of: ER-X and AP Lite from Ubiquiti and a proper NAS with media server/4K transcoding/Time Machine.

Unfortunately it keeps on working and working well, and there's no harm in using my desktop as a media server in the meantime. No new toys for me ... yet.

I use a Synology as my Time Machine and it's a freaking nightmare to restore from.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I use a Synology as my Time Machine and it's a freaking nightmare to restore from.

Is it? Shouldn't it be just an issue of mounting the volume from the installer?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Pivo posted:

Is it? Shouldn't it be just an issue of mounting the volume from the installer?

I've had to do it a handful of times and never once has it been that easy. You always have to restore MacOS, then hook it back up to the Time Machine and then restore.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've had to do it a handful of times and never once has it been that easy.

... what I’m asking is, what were the problems?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Pivo posted:

... what I’m asking is, what were the problems?

I don't remember specific errors. It just always has errors connecting back to the time machine and I remember losing everything once. There are some new changes that Synology has made that should make it easier (such as the Synology actually being able to advertise itself as a time machine disk). I'll actually find out this weekend as I'm going to try and restore a new Macbook Pro from it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've had to do it a handful of times and never once has it been that easy. You always have to restore MacOS, then hook it back up to the Time Machine and then restore.

The one time I had to use it (ssd died in my Mini) I was surprised at how well, easy, and fast it worked. I’ve seen a lot of people moan about it over the years, justifiable I’m sure, but I was relieved that I was about to strip a drive out of my machine, put a new one in, and restore it to where I was so fast. Couldn’t believe I didn’t have to install the OS by hand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

No, it's buggieness. The software at time feels like a beta. Stupid stuff, like AP's alarming as down when they're up - which has been a problem since like 2014 according to their forums and still occurs when regularity.

I'm a network engineer so I can usually fix any problems that pop up, but my EdgeRouter X wouldn't even connect to the internet until I got a firmware update. I still fully endorse the hardware. It's good enough to make up for the rough edges and you can open a tech support chat from within your Unifi controller software which feels like the future.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

You can already get cheap Intel NUCs for like $300. Apple could just get one of those and slap a white plastic case on top of it for double the price.

Yeah, this was what I thought yesterday when I saw the email. It would be even easier with Kaby Lake-R, they could bring back the quadcore Mac Mini but keep it as small as the new ones and put TB3 in to boot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Mac Mini is going to be turned into a dongle.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Legit not beyond the realms of possibility.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Intel sells a Compute Stick for $150 IIRC which is literally that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Apple TV will be a dong before the Mac Mini IMO

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, this was what I thought yesterday when I saw the email. It would be even easier with Kaby Lake-R, they could bring back the quadcore Mac Mini but keep it as small as the new ones and put TB3 in to boot.
Hell with that, bring on hex core Coffee Lake Mac minis :getin: late next year at the earliest if ever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So while I'm waiting for my Nintendo Switch to charge, I tried to pair my Pro Controller with my rMBP and hey ho, it was actually recognized as Pro Controller in the BlueTooth prefpane!.

Was able to get it to control some games by using Enjoyable and providing the key mappings.. finally my dream of playing Baseball Stars 2 on my laptop with a good controller came true..

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

The Mac Mini is going to be turned into a dongle.

Coming soon to an HDMI 2.0 port near you... the iMac Nano.

japtor posted:

Hell with that, bring on hex core Coffee Lake Mac minis :getin: late next year at the earliest if ever.

That'll totally be in the standard iMac. Mini would be cool but it seems unlikely.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Apple only has 3 people who can work on new products. The other 8,000 are making emojis and loving up the UI of iOS

ios ui has absolutely got better these last couple of years. i was an unashamed apologist for the super light font weights et al of ios7 but christ that look got dated really quickly. the revisions are a hell of a lot better looking and way more usable

i'm kind of nostalgic for the old osx look; not so much the huge amount of skeumorphism as much as the base colour for every app not being blinding white. maybe that's a not-so-subtle hint not to use my computer at night

Eletriarnation posted:

That'll totally be in the standard iMac. Mini would be cool but it seems unlikely.

waiting for said imac so i can replace this dualcore 2012 mini (which is great but when you run into the limitations you loving feel them. i'd have got the quad core if the used market for those things wasn't utterly loving insane.) i just wish they'd just use nvidia gpus, although considering their history of melting themselves off the loving board perhaps it's best they don't

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 21, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eletriarnation posted:

Coming soon to an HDMI 2.0 port near you... the iMac Nano.

It’ll just be called Mac, and it’ll be smaller than the Mac Mini.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Generic Monk posted:

i'm kind of nostalgic for the old osx look; not so much the huge amount of skeumorphism as much as the base colour for every app not being blinding white. maybe that's a not-so-subtle hint not to use my computer at night

I have an ancient iPad somebody gave me that's stuck on...iOS 5.2 or something, and I kinda miss the old UI as well, it's somehow calmer or something. It's completely useless for anything but the forums and Craigslist, the lack of RAM makes it crash on all but the simplest websites.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

If I'm looking at one of the non-touchbar macbook pros, I should probably at least upgrade to 16gb ram? It baffles me that that doesn't seem to be one of the popular configurations they keep in stock.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is there anything to watch for with the MacBook Pro Retinas with Intel graphics? Is it the nVidia DGPUs that caused the recall? Also, they are a nightmare as far as repairs, right? (battery I'm most concerned about)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Recall? The desoldering issue with the dGPU? That was just a warranty extension. Yeah that was what, '11s and '12s? Long fixed.

Nothing to watch out for. Buy the one with the storage & RAM you want, which probably should be 512 / 16GB if you want a good experience.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Router: Ubiquiti Amplifi or Eero. I have a Unifi setup (Security Gateway, AP's, and some cameras) and it's been amazing, but takes some thought and effort to put together + a bunch of space and wiring.

Mini: If we're placing bets, my bet is that it's announced alongside the new Mac Pro. The Pro will be a box that can take a couple of PCI cards + Xeon processors (with maybe an i9 or something available at the low end,) and the Mini will be the same footprint but shorter with i-Series processors and no PCI slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pivo posted:

Recall? The desoldering issue with the dGPU? That was just a warranty extension. Yeah that was what, '11s and '12s? Long fixed.

Nothing to watch out for. Buy the one with the storage & RAM you want, which probably should be 512 / 16GB if you want a good experience.

MacBook Pro Retina Video Issues

This is the issue I was thinking of. It doesn't sound specific to the nVidia DGPUs, but it sounds like the issue should have come up if it was going to.