Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone asked if my MacBook was broken because my Apple logo wasn't lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If your apple logo isn't lit it's a sign that a part of steve's soul has left your macbook, like that soul-capture-protect horcrux thing from harry potter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The next ones will have lit up emojis on the back

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

That seems so punk rock to me, like a Petrine cross.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn’t that the case for all the old models, and not just his?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wasn’t that the case for all the old models, and not just his?

Correct, the Apple logo is right side up when the lid is closed.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have an early 2011 macbook pro 13". Long story short, I had to replace the keyboard and I did, but the connector between the LCD and the motherboard broke and the computer won't turn on anymore.

I'd like to replace this as cheaply as possible and don't particularly care about the replacement being a desktop or laptop, all I want is to migrate my info over to a new Apple that is primarily used for browsing/photos. The performance was fine for what I used it for as I had 16 gigs of ram and an ssd.
Should I be looking at a replacement motherboard, taking it into a shop to see if they can solder a fix together, an old mac mini, or something else entirely?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Correct, the Apple logo is right side up when the lid is closed.

but presumably the logo only lights up when the lid is open? what a weird decision

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I have an early 2011 macbook pro 13". Long story short, I had to replace the keyboard and I did, but the connector between the LCD and the motherboard broke and the computer won't turn on anymore.

I'd like to replace this as cheaply as possible and don't particularly care about the replacement being a desktop or laptop, all I want is to migrate my info over to a new Apple that is primarily used for browsing/photos. The performance was fine for what I used it for as I had 16 gigs of ram and an ssd.
Should I be looking at a replacement motherboard, taking it into a shop to see if they can solder a fix together, an old mac mini, or something else entirely?

Turn on that notebook while holding down T. Then it'll act as an external hard drive. Plug it into another computer and transfer

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do you mean the connection port on the logic board or the LCD cable itself? If you can identify the part to replace, some of those cables appear to be 17 bucks on eBay. Why not repair it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

B&H has the base 15” for $1799

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

but presumably the logo only lights up when the lid is open? what a weird decision
Yeah, it gets lit up from the LCD backlight basically. It was a matter of being right side up for the user vs others who saw it upside down. I vaguely recall a story about the change, I think it was marketing people that convinced Steve to change it (so the logo appeared right side up when they were used in TV/movies).

Fake edit:
https://www.cultofmac.com/168377/the-upside-down-apple-logo-a-steve-jobs-mistake/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Today I got to swap out my work Air for a 2015 MBPr 15" with i7. It's my first Retina Display Mac.

This is nice.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kuskus posted:

Do you mean the connection port on the logic board or the LCD cable itself? If you can identify the part to replace, some of those cables appear to be 17 bucks on eBay. Why not repair it?

It's the connection port on the logic board. The latch/lever/whatever that keeps the connector secured came disconnected so there's no way to keep the cable securely connected. When I try to power on it turns on for a couple seconds then just powers off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Today I got to swap out my work Air for a 2015 MBPr 15" with i7. It's my first Retina Display Mac.

This is nice.

You’re ruined and now can’t ever go back

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's the connection port on the logic board. The latch/lever/whatever that keeps the connector secured came disconnected so there's no way to keep the cable securely connected. When I try to power on it turns on for a couple seconds then just powers off.

lol if you read the instructions that's such an easy piece not to gently caress up, man... it comes right out... just be careful and try not to break the drat motherboard

good excuse to upgrade i guess. check the refurb store.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hot glue it or something. Macguyver it! Don't let it die over a simple connection. You can do it!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

lol if you read the instructions that's such an easy piece not to gently caress up, man... it comes right out... just be careful and try not to break the drat motherboard

Thanks for laughing :cool:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kuskus posted:

Hot glue it or something. Macguyver it! Don't let it die over a simple connection. You can do it!

Serious question, would electric tape gently caress things up? I'm honestly not opposed to a MacGyver solution, as I'm not in a position to buy a brand new pc right now, a couple hundred dollars max is my fix/replace amount.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Serious question, would electric tape gently caress things up? I'm honestly not opposed to a MacGyver solution, as I'm not in a position to buy a brand new pc right now, a couple hundred dollars max is my fix/replace amount.

Ideally you'd want some Kapton tape since the adhesive on regular electrical tape gets really gooey after a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Kapton-Tape-Polyimide-yds/dp/B006RQTRP0/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

What an rear end in a top hat

GobiasIndustries posted:

I looked up pictures of the display cable connector in this iFixit display replacement guide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Display+Replacement/5140

Does yours look like the photos in steps 14 and 15? If so, I'm slightly confused because that shows the lever as being part of the cable assembly, not the connector on the motherboard. Are you truly sure it's broken? Or is it that the lever came off the cable?

Seconding the recommendation of Kapton if you're going to try tape, but I doubt tape will do the job. These connectors use the lever to apply even pressure across the whole length of the connector. Tape adhesive (even kapton) isn't likely to provide enough pressure to make a solid reliable connection.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

What an rear end in a top hat

:sympathy:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take photos of it when I get home tomorrow. I tried to be extremely careful but I suspect the whole thing is just hosed all around :(

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Erm what happened here??

2015 15” rMBP. I long pressed the power button, it restarted and works normally now. Do i need to be worried?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

Erm what happened here??

2015 15” rMBP. I long pressed the power button, it restarted and works normally now. Do i need to be worried?

That's what empty VRAM looks like. Fairly common on sleep/resume.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
e: rip I should read the op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

Erm what happened here??

Ever read Snow Crash?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Speaking of graphical glitches, my 2015 13” rmbp does a weird flash of rainbow inverted colors when I open the lid. Normal?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Speaking of graphical glitches, my 2015 13” rmbp does a weird flash of rainbow inverted colors when I open the lid. Normal?
Are you using high sierra? I've been getting that since I updated my 2016 "15....fuckin apple.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Mine did this but I accidentally installed the beta version first. I ended up just doing a clean install of Sierra instead because other things ended up being a bit janky.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Ever read Snow Crash?
I so wish they were making this instead of Ready Player One, with all it's early 90s futurism glory.

Fake edit w/Google: apparently Amazon is?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Could also be HDCP handshake failed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Honj Steak posted:

Erm what happened here??

I've seen that on external monitors (usually via slightly-dodgy dongles), but not on the laptop's own screen. The very same Snow Crash jokes were made, but an unplug and re-plug always fixed it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Honj Steak posted:

Erm what happened here??

They're here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there decent third party alternatives for MBA power cords? I had to replace mine at one point with another Apple one, but I felt it was way too expensive. It doesn't really seem fair (and honestly, anti-competitive) that I should feel restricted to only buying accessories from Apple. If I go on Amazon for example, the Apple cord is $80, but there are several third party brands for $20 or less. I also don't understand why the selection is only Apple vs. a bunch of stuff that sounds like it was made in the middle of nowhere, China. Why isn't there the wide range of brand choices like you would get with PC accessories?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
No. Buy the apple charger.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

No. Buy the apple charger.

Fine, but why aren't there other (legit) companies offering chargers at a more reasonable price? So many people have Apple laptops, yet there seems to be no competition at all.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple considers MagSafe to be a proprietary technology, they usually go after knockoffs with heated legal action.

They do let slip people selling refurbished adapters and now that they are switching to the USB-C protocol that opens up Mac laptops to using alternative power adapters.. but only the new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Fine, but why aren't there other (legit) companies offering chargers at a more reasonable price? So many people have Apple laptops, yet there seems to be no competition at all.

MagSafe is proprietary and Apple doesn’t license it.